Rush acted in self-defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rush acted in self-defense?

If I understand the episode correctly, Rush orchestrated the mutiny against Young because he knew the aliens had implanted a tracking device on him, and Rush was afraid Young would get rid of him because at least then Young would have had a good reason. Rush took advantage of Wray's distrust of Young and used her to lead the civilian personnel in the mutiny. Rush knew he needed the shields to resist the aliens' attacks when they did arrive, and presumably without Young over his shoulder he would have the time he needs to find a way to defeat the aliens when the Destiny got back into FTL after the attack.

Rush is indeed manipulative.

Originally posted by rsanchez View Post
    If I understand the episode correctly, Rush orchestrated the mutiny against Young because he knew the aliens had implanted a tracking device on him, and Rush was afraid Young would get rid of him because at least then Young would have had a good reason. Rush took advantage of Wray's distrust of Young and used her to lead the civilian personnel in the mutiny. Rush knew he needed the shields to resist the aliens' attacks when they did arrive, and presumably without Young over his shoulder he would have the time he needs to find a way to defeat the aliens while the Destiny was in FTL.

Rush is indeed manipulative.
    That was part of the reason, yes, but the civilians had felt this way from Day One. He probably stepped up the schedule of when they were going to make their move for his own sake, but the mutiny wasn't for his sake alone. As we saw, all of the people on the civilian side already agreed with Wray's opinion, and Wray herself wanted to use Rush's experience of being abandoned to galvanize them.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Rush by far is the most interested character on the show for the reason that we don't know what his true motives are, ever. But its odd how many people he can manipulate easy.

Comment

It was part of his motivation for the mutiny, but he wasn't doing just for himself. There were plenty of other people who felt the need to remove Young from power, which started before Rush was left on the planet in Justice.
        I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Well, considering the impromptu "cut it out of him" speech Young gave him, I can see why Rush would be concerned. Since Young has already demonstrated he's quite happy to kill Rush by leaving him on a deserted planet...

Now if you got rid of both Young and Rush, the Destiny would probably be less stressful

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
            Well, considering the impromptu "cut it out of him" speech Young gave him, I can see why Rush would be concerned. Since Young has already demonstrated he's quite happy to kill Rush by leaving him on a deserted planet...

Now if you got rid of both Young and Rush, the Destiny would probably be less stressful
            Yeah, until the aliens arrive again, Wray and Scott have no idea how to lead the ship, and they all get killed.

Comment

Originally posted by rsanchez View Post
              Yeah, until the aliens arrive again, Wray and Scott have no idea how to lead the ship, and they all get killed.
              Greer would kill everyone but him & Scott before being forced to listen to civilians

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post

First of all great episode, I really like this show.

Anyway, so Rush knows he has this device inside him, why doesn't HE suggest it get taken out of him-using the same methods that they ended up using. He then makes himself look better and possibly gets Young to trust him a bit. Again, Rush puts them all at risk, for what?
                SGU fangirl

Comment

Originally posted by mere earthling View Post
                  Rush puts them all at risk, for what?
                  Because that's his nature. He's selfish, manipulative, and self-serving above all other considerations. He's not just going to change on the drop of a dime, especially when he still has "issues" with Young.

Young isn't much different. He's impatient, hot-tempered, quick to judge and quicker to act. He still exhibits all those dangerous, destructive behaviours simply because that's the man he is right now.

I suspect that in Season 3 or 5, we'll be looking back at Season 1 and shaking our heads at how the characters acted "back then". This show has set its plots and character developments for the long haul and it hasn't been that long yet
                  sigpic
                  http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Rush used this as an excuse. He is dangerous. He thinks nothing of putting the crew in danger. He was willing to let the aliens follow them. There was a chance that the shield wouldn't hold, and the ship would blow up, killing them all.

Young was right about cutting the tracking device out of Rush. There was no other choice.

Comment

After the events of Justice and Young's final lines in Divided I highly doubt he would throw out of an airlock. Especially since no airlocks were available. As for self-defense I say Rush brings it on himself for his mantipulation
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        After the events of Justice and Young's final lines in Divided I highly doubt he would throw out of an airlock. Especially since no airlocks were available. As for self-defense I say Rush brings it on himself for his mantipulation
                        exactly if he just chilled out and would let col. young in on what's he's working on alot of conflict and distrust would go away.
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I'm sorry, I don't buy the argument that Rush was just up to his old, self-serving tricks for the whole bit. I agree that he stepped up the schedule because of his own fears, but I can hardly blame him. Why would he risk letting TJ, who is not trained for the kind of operation that was needed and is also under Young's command, cut him open and poke around?
                          On the other hand, he once again put others at risk for his own safety. I can't condone that, but I do think he has shown that he isn't always selfish. He did save Chloe, and with no reason I could believe other than to simply save her from the tortures he'd been put through.
                          As far as his plan for making the aliens go away, that was never going to work. It showed Rush in a vulnurable moment, where he was unwilling to face cold logic when it lead him to a result that endangered his life. He did the opposite by saving Young and Scott from vaporization. I like this new version of him, bouncing between what he used to be and (hopefully, now that he cares about at least one person on that ship and she can influence him) what he will become.

Comment

But it was Wray's idea, so how is it that Rush manipulated the whole thing?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
                              ... (hopefully, now that he cares about at least one person on that ship and she can influence him) what he will become.
                              Assuming this is the case, I think that any influence Chloe has on Rush will last only as long as the decision being made will: a.) benefit Chloe; b.) not injure Rush in any way. Her new found respect(?) for Rush will last only until the moment when Rush decides to sacrifice Chloe for some greater good. For the greater good of Rush.

regards,
                              G.
                              Go for Marty...

Comment

Working...
                              X