No no, DON'T say THAT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No no, DON'T say THAT!

When Eli was talking about the communication from the other ship Young and Scott said "They answered in English?" "How the hell is that possible?!"

That may be a reasonable thing to say in such a situation, but in the context of the Stargate shows it seems silly because it draws attention to the fact that everyone else, that shouldn't be able to, can speak perfect English.

I know the show is supposed to be more realistic but it kinda draws attention to the franchise's bigger logic flaws. One that is probably best to just accept with suspension of disbelief and move on. No explanation could ever provide a reason for such an absurd aspect of SG-1 and SG-A but it's just an unavoidable part of them. I believe it's better not to think about that aspect too much. The irony is the scene probably wouldn't have drawn any notice if hey hadn't drawn attention to it by mentioning it. In fact, "humanoid aliens from 12 bazillion light-years away communicating English through text even though they've probably never seen humans before", is no more and perhaps even less ridiculous than "other humans beings from say, 40 light-years away speaking perfect English for generations having never even heard of Earth before, for an example."

If you've never heard of Earth before other than possibly the name in the vaguest of legends, then it doesn't matter if you live 1 or 5 million lightyears away, it makes no sense to speak the language of a one small percentage of it's populace.

It's kind of creating a bit of a continuity issue that Eli, Scott and Young noticed this rather unbelievable fact of alien contact, but nobody else in the entire universe seemed to despite the fact that they encountered it virtually everywhere int he universe they went ever. Unless they're going with the idea that SGU is a somehow reboot or something and the other shows never actually happened.
    Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 09 April 2010, 01:50 PM.
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

I think we have to accept the fact that SGU exists in a slightly different "universe" than SG1 and SGA.

OR - did we ever get a "babble-fish" like explanation in the earlier series?
    sigpic
    Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

the smurf's did have rush and it was stated that his mind was probed. the aliens learned english that way
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
        the smurf's did have rush and it was stated that his mind was probed. the smurs could have learned english that way
        I don't think the point is that it is unbelievable that the blue aliens used English (as you say, they probed Rush's mind) - the point is that all the other aliens we've met have spoken English without explanation.
        sigpic
        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

That's a logical explanation but the point I was making was why where they surprised that people they've never met can speak the same language as them when that the case essentially everywhere else in the universe too.
          "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I think the line was possibly an intentional mick take of the other shows....to be honest I don't blame them either. Yeah the whole thing of every alien species speaking English is stupid and it's the writers own fault, but then again it's just another one of those things the fans pick up on again and again so this was the writers poking fun at the fact.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I believe that one of the producers said that traveling through the stargate injected you with translator microbes or some such. He may have said it in jest, but it's as good a theory as any. The reason we never heard the aliens speak English (as all our main characters have traveled through the gate) may be because they are so biologically different, their speech isn't picked up as language. But, like I said, it's only a theory.

Comment

besides it was just one word. the aliens didn't exactly speak it.

Comment

To me its kinda obvious that the aliens probed most of Rush knowledge, and one of these things was the "human" language, they cant speak it, but they can probably translate it, there was a theory in another thread, where the "Surrender" might even could been a faulty translation, the aliens might ment something else, like "Stand down" or anything!

or it was just a joke by the writers.
                  When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.-Arthur C. Clarke

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology -Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Morganrone93 View Post
                    To me its kinda obvious that the aliens probed most of Rush knowledge, and one of these things was the "human" language, they cant speak it, but they can probably translate it, there was a theory in another thread, where the "Surrender" might even could been a faulty translation, the aliens might ment something else, like "Stand down" or anything!

or it was just a joke by the writers.
                    or the aliens were saying Hello and just really messed it up

Comment

I honestly don't mind and like the fact the aliens in SG1/SGA speak English, to me it can make somewhat of logical sense. But since Destiny is so far from both the MW and PG galaxies I think its ok for Eli to be surprised at the aliens speaking english.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                        or the aliens were saying Hello and just really messed it up
                        You can wonder what Eli's message was translated for them :O

Eli's original message:-Hello, we are peaceful human's from planet earth, we mean no harm.
                        When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.-Arthur C. Clarke

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology -Carl Sagan

Comment

Pretty soon all crew members of the Destiny will receive memory engrams with all languages of that region of space and beyond by a old space faring race called "The Collectors". All done in exchange for the knowledge of some earth languages or something. Problem solved. Nice and clean.
                          Last edited by Commander Zelix; 09 April 2010, 03:23 PM.
                          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Todd Rocks again
                            Attached Files
                            Nou ani Anquietas

Comment

I remember reading an interview with one of the producers way back maybe 10 years ago now.
                              Something like
                              "We decided that the show would be way to boring if the team had to translate a new language every time they went through the gate, so we made the decision to make them all speak English to leave more time for actual show time..."

Now as I understood Universe, they got rid of that lil snafoo, and they are unable to talk or translate the blue smurfs language. When Young was in the alien body, he was not able to talk to Rush, making me believe their voice boxes worked differently...
                              \
                              my 2 cents...

Comment

Working...
                              X