What is your ideal B5 re-release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your ideal B5 re-release?

In sort of branching off from the CGI discussion in the 'overrated' thread, I thought we could expand the discussion. We all know that it's pretty unlikely to ever happen, but if it does, what do you want to see in a re-released Babylon 5? My choices:

Generally / Series-related
    • High-def is a must, so all the filmed segments absolutely need to be cleaned up (they don't look great on DVD either)
    • I want the bloody pan/zoomed in shots/framing to be fixed
    • I'd like an audio re-mastering to happen. The score and whatnot is great, but in a number of places it's kind of poorly mixed--resulting in going from normal-volume dialogue to the B5 'epic' music being played deafeningly loud
    • I absolutely want the VFX redone. I'd be upset if the 'choreography' of the scenes were done any differently, but as baseline standards I want to see AT LEAST the following: 1) Ships on par with how they looked in The Lost Tales; 2) Jump points like those from Call to Arms; and 3) Hyperspace effect to be more in line with how it looked in Legend of the Rangers

Special Features / Featurettes
    • JMS commentary for every episode, plus actor commentary wherever possible
    • Tribute featurettes dedicated to Richard Biggs and Andreas Katsulas
    • Making-of B5's original VFX plus showing how they're brought up to modern standards
    • Interviews with ALL main/recurring cast (and whatever crew would be interesting)
    • Retrospective with JMS showing what he's most proud of, and what he wishes he'd been able to do
    • Features dedicated to each of the main races and their histories
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Hi, George Lucas! *waves*

Clean up the audio and visual issues, and get me all the commentary and background features possible. Leave The Original Footage Alone.
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Cross-posting from the other thread:

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
      I can look at TOS and enjoy it still. Same with most TNG/DS9/VOY sequences. Product of its time, man. Don't George Lucas it.
      I still love TOS' looks too, even in spite of their shoestring budget. And I can sympathize with not wanting to George Lucas B5. Perhaps a release a la the TOS BD releases that include both the redone and the classic? I can compromise
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Funny though I was thinking, it works when you do it but George can't? Like add in New Shockwaves and cool effects and things

Though I do love your list of Special Features

And I also like the idea of releasing it side by side with the original.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
          Funny though I was thinking, it works when you do it but George can't? Like add in New Shockwaves and cool effects and things

Though I do love your list of Special Features

And I also like the idea of releasing it side by side with the original.
          There's a difference between remastering effects and throwing in tons of CGI crap everywhere to clutter up the screen.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            In sort of branching off from the CGI discussion in the 'overrated' thread, I thought we could expand the discussion. We all know that it's pretty unlikely to ever happen, but if it does, what do you want to see in a re-released Babylon 5? My choices:

Generally / Series-related
            • High-def is a must, so all the filmed segments absolutely need to be cleaned up (they don't look great on DVD either)
            • I want the bloody pan/zoomed in shots/framing to be fixed
            • I'd like an audio re-mastering to happen. The score and whatnot is great, but in a number of places it's kind of poorly mixed--resulting in going from normal-volume dialogue to the B5 'epic' music being played deafeningly loud
            • I absolutely want the VFX redone. I'd be upset if the 'choreography' of the scenes were done any differently, but as baseline standards I want to see AT LEAST the following: 1) Ships on par with how they looked in The Lost Tales; 2) Jump points like those from Call to Arms; and 3) Hyperspace effect to be more in line with how it looked in Legend of the Rangers

Special Features / Featurettes
            • JMS commentary for every episode, plus actor commentary wherever possible
            • Tribute featurettes dedicated to Richard Biggs and Andreas Katsulas
            • Making-of B5's original VFX plus showing how they're brought up to modern standards
            • Interviews with ALL main/recurring cast (and whatever crew would be interesting)
            • Retrospective with JMS showing what he's most proud of, and what he wishes he'd been able to do
            • Features dedicated to each of the main races and their histories
            I think you covered all the major stuff. All I could add onto is the bonus features like deleted scenes, extended scenes, documentaries and such.

I'd also like a dedicated JMS documentary on what happened next. I'd like to get some real facts on what happened like. Marcus got his little comic where he was revived (haven't read it, but I don't like the idea of what happened) but was the recording used to restore Talia, what happened to Lita during the Telepath War, what happened to Valen (I have my own theory on this), what happened to Lennier, what happened to the Drakh and so on. I believe JMS already created what next, but since I don't expect B5 to return to TV, I'd love for him to create a documentary on what came next.

I love the idea of a Biggs and Katsulas tribute featurette. Having them explore the rim in Lost Tales was a nice touch and I think having tributes would be great.

As for the audio remastering, definitely. One thing that stands out, when Sheridan goes to Zaha'dum and I believe it's at the point where he does his nose dive, and Delenn wakes up and says "John" very clearly but doesn't say a word.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X