Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Ba'al affect the Ascended beings by Changing The Timeline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would Ba'al affect the Ascended beings by Changing The Timeline?

I'm wondering: In Stargate Continuum, Daniel Jackson had remained ascended to that point, and we know that the remaining Abydonians did. But after Ba'al went back and changed the timeline by sinking the Stargate-carrying WW2-era ship, would Daniel and the Abydonians still have ascended?
    I'm unsure if the Ascended beings are immune to drastic changes on the corporeal plain like that.
    Everyone's thoughts?

Sorry if someone has posted this inquiry thread before!
    If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
    [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

probably not. if the gate had never been put to use, daniel never would have made contact with the ancients and thus never would have ascended.
    R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
      probably not. if the gate had never been put to use, daniel never would have made contact with the ancients and thus never would have ascended.
      Yes, but are beings on that plain of existence subject to timeline alterations? This is what the OP is asking...

It all depends on whether the dimension the Ascended beings occupy is intertwined with Time in the same way ours is.... I'm sure a physics expert will be along to tell me that Time and Space affect everything or something
      Meh.

Comment

Well when faced with the physics, you really cant know. Do you know what ascenision is in physics? Do you know its rules? I'd like to believe that ascension transcends time and space and that once beings in stargate are ascended they cant be descended or touched by any non-ascended being.

Comment

The ascended are still affected by time the same way than us. Of course they are energy and don't get old, but if time is screwed around they are also affected.
          sigpic
          - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
            Yes, but are beings on that plain of existence subject to timeline alterations? This is what the OP is asking...
            i understood the question and uh, why wouldn't they be? without the stargate, daniel would never have ascended, period. therefore he cannot remain ascended until the timeline is fixed lest he cause a paradox.
            Last edited by asdf1239; 08 April 2010, 05:07 PM.
            R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

What if ascended beings are actually unaffected to changes in the timeline? They live on a different plane of existence so why should time effect them?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
                indeed

It all depends on whether the dimension the Ascended beings occupy is intertwined with Time in the same way ours is.... I'm sure a physics expert will be along to tell me that Time and Space affect everything or something
                that's their usual position, yup; agree they prob would do that

[QUOTE=Xander454;11382178]Well when faced with the physics, you really cant know. Do you know what ascenision is in physics? Do you know its rules? I'd like to believe that ascension transcends time and space and that once beings in stargate are ascended they cant be descended or touched by any non-ascended being.[/QUOTE
                excellent point; Ascension is supposed to be a state where the laws of physics (at least it's so on the corporeal plane, if the laws of physics and the natural sciences still can effect the ascended plane)

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                What if ascended beings are actually unaffected to changes in the timeline? They live on a different plane of existence so why should time effect them?
                great point
                If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

everyone who's posted here so fa, thank u all kindly for engaging in this thought-provoking, indefinitive discussion with me

we may never know definitively

Comment

Well, I think it would almost definitely affect ascended beings, at least from our understanding of the universe. When Daniel ascended, it's presumable that he ran into a good amount of other ascended beings whose lives were now altered because he had met them. Taking your Continuum example, if Ba'al had changed the timeline for good, then Daniel would've never ascended, and thus, never run into the other ascended beings, whose lives would not be altered by meeting Daniel.

This all hinges on whether or not ascended beings function as we can imagine that they function. It may actually be that they would function on a whole different level than we can even comprehend. Because of this, we can't have a definitive answer.

I think a more answerable question is, given ascended beings are affected by temporal changes, why wouldn't they stop Ba'al from changing the timeline? I realize they have a strict non-interference rule in place, but would they actually allow Ba'al to go back 70 years and change ALL of their lives?

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
                      I think a more answerable question is, given ascended beings are affected by temporal changes, why wouldn't they stop Ba'al from changing the timeline? I realize they have a strict non-interference rule in place, but would they actually allow Ba'al to go back 70 years and change ALL of their lives?
                      Maybe w/ ascension (i.e., fully ascended, I guess?) comes awareness of what happens in time? Maybe they knew that the timeline would be 'fixed' by SG-1's actions?
                      Perhaps that's also why they don't interfere at all: knowledge of what has happened, what's happening, and what will happen? *shrugs*

Of course, if one assume that the Ori were also fully ascended...then one has to assume that they would've known that something would happen to them. Maybe they're 'knowledge' is limited to a certain 'sphere of influence'?

Or I'm just plain wrong w/ my assumptions? (possible proof of this: Morgan's presence in the Ori galaxy )
                      sigpic

Comment

interestin additional questions people have generated--guess the answer is more complex a we think more of it n have side questions too

thanx again everyone for sharing their thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                          Maybe w/ ascension (i.e., fully ascended, I guess?) comes awareness of what happens in time?
                          Perhaps they are aware of all changes in time and their existence extends (mentally more than physically) over many timelines, or perhaps just the actual timelines created (for example, the 'real timeline' and the one that Ba'al created. NOT all possible timelines.)
                          Meh.

Comment

I've always wondered this question. Just never asked.

I don't think they're immune though...

what if I went to the past? would they be there too? I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                              I've always wondered this question. Just never asked.

I don't think they're immune though...

what if I went to the past? would they be there too? I doubt it.
                              It's not that they could be there, it's that they may be able to acknowledge changes to the 'present' that they are in through an extension of their "greater understanding of the universe"
                              Meh.

Comment

Working...
                              X