Hey, new packaging!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, new packaging!

I was out at Best Buy earlier and noticed that the DVD sets have been re-released in slimmer cases. I have no idea when this happened, but I kind of wish my cases were thin like this!

Don't mind the blurriness....my Blackberry cam sucks.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

WB rereleased them just last year I believe. I know because I was looking at them on Amazon a while ago.

Comment

Yeah I bought the complete box set some time ago and they were all in slimline. Much prefer them like that.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Mine are slimmer than that. All 5 series of Babylon 5 can individually be gotten in a single DVD case, with all 6 discs within. Brilliant stuff, I wish all the others were like that. It's much more convenient to have 6 discs in a single case, than 6 discs in 6 cases with a box.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah I bet. The 6 (original-style) boxes take up so much shelf space.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

My problem with repackaging is that some TV shows loose their collectible booklets and anything else originally including, such as Buffy and The X-Files sets I believe. Then again, thats Fox. Warner Bros. are IMO gods at having collectible stuff. Smallville was repackaged last year and still includes their collectible booklets.

Comment

But then, there really wasn't anything special in the bigger B5 discs. All the booklets have in them is a 3 paragraph JMS note and brief synopses of the episodes. And badly mis-labeled cast credits.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                But then, there really wasn't anything special in the bigger B5 discs. All the booklets have in them is a 3 paragraph JMS note and brief synopses of the episodes. And badly mis-labeled cast credits.
                Oh ok, nevermind then. I kinda like stuff like that though...

Comment

And that definitely should've read, "bigger B5 cases"....

Comment

These new versions, the single case seasons talk about being "all new widescreen transfers" and "all new introductions by JMS" and I am sure it says all new cast stuff but now sure how many seasons.

The worst thing about re-releases is some stuff potentially being lost from version to version, which is annoying at best, because it may force people who want the complete DVD experience to spend more money.

But at times you do get crap second editions. Firefly's complete box set has a special edition, that just has a cardboard sleeve. No differences from the original as far as I can tell.

sigpic

Comment

I don't think I'll ever be buying B5 again.

Unless of course, they remaster the video into proper anamorphic widescreen (or BD) and jazz up the VFX to be more in-line with how things looked circa Crusade and Lost Tales.

Comment

I don't think they could redo all the CG effects, as I remember reading a long time ago that the biggest majority, if not all, of the files used for the effects were lost. They'd need to remake every model and scene from scratch.

Crusade and Legend of the Ranger required new stuff, so wasn't an issue.

sigpic

Comment

Yes... I realize that. I'm just saying, when and if that ever happens is the only conditions under which I'll be re-buying Babylon 5

Unless, of course, something catastrophic happens to my current collection of course. But nobody gambles on that

Comment

I'm glad I was able to get the DVD's so cheap, or else I'd not have bought them as I've seen the series on TV a few times. However I'd like to see B5 given the "Star Trek treatment" by having the CG scenes redone if a Blu-Ray release is done. The only problem with that, is the Shadow War and even the Civil War fight scenes because they are fantastic for being more than 10 to 15 years old.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't want the 'choreography' of the space battles changed either. Just updated VFX.

God I'm demanding

Comment

Working...
                              X