This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long was Atlantis on Lantea?

i'm watching Echoes on tv now and i noticed something i haven't before.
    When McKay is explaining how the CME happens every 15,000 years he says that the ancients have records of it happening twice before.
    which means that atlantis would of been on that planet less than 35,000 years
    (worked that out by one happening about 5,000 years before the evacuation + the other one being 15,000 years before. and then add on the time since the one before that. hard to explain but you get me?)

In rising Atlantis is seen leaving earth 5-10 million years ago if i remember right? what did it do for those few million years it wasn't on lantea?

Looked for a new home. At this point Destiny (SGU) hadn't launched yet. So if seeder ships had seeded gates the only ship they would have that could traverse Pegasus and map the network would be Atlantis. There was evidence of another city (The Tower) but we don't know if it was a city ship like Atlantis.

So we don't know when exactly they settled on Lantea. There are a number of things within Atlantis they were left unexplained and that's unfortunate. Fuzzy timelines being one of them.

You do make a few assumptions that I need to address....

1. Stars are not constant. This could be relatively recent activity within the star; at least this magnitude.
    2. The event may have happened before but not along this scale or as frequent so no data exists with a prediction
    3. The database is HUGE and McKay is always "finding" things.
    4. What McKay found was part of a larger report dealing with the planet's whale population.

Just some things to think about. It's been awhile since I've watched the episode so I'll have to go back and have a look.
    How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

Okay lets start at the beginning:
      Ancients + Ori (Unknown Galaxy) *Millions of years laters* Ancients Leave to find 'Avalon' or 'Milky Way', hang around here for a few hundred thousand years, building there empire, seeding stargates, creating the Destiny (SGU). Then the plauge forced them out of the Milky Way, taking Atlantis to a new galaxy, 'Pegasus', there they built more stargates and seeded life (Humans on to worlds with the Iratis bug, accidently creating Wraith). So they are in Pegasus for atleast another hundred thousand years or so to allow the Wraith to evolve. Then they left Atlantis returned to Earth and either ascended or died.

Assuming when they left Earth/Milky Way due to the plauge, they would have had few ships so Atlantis may have moved a bit before settling on a 'Lantea'.
      Hope this has given you a bit of an insight apologies if it didn't.

Comment

whats the deal with this ancient "plague" anyway. youd think that with all their technology they could effortlessly cure any disease by then
        R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
          whats the deal with this ancient "plague" anyway. youd think that with all their technology they could effortlessly cure any disease by then
          I don't think you can effectively kill diease. You find a way to kill a bacteria or virus over time they mutate to fight that.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

we eradicated smallpox by 1980. if the tau'ri can do that to diseases then so can the ancients
            R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

we eradicated smallpox by 1980. if the tau'ri can do that to diseases then so can the ancients
              One diease. Their are millions out there.
              Jelgate is right

Comment

and ancient technology is a million times more advanced than 20th century earth technology
                even the aschen were immune to disease by the time they contacted earth
                R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

and ancient technology is a million times more advanced than 20th century earth technology
                  Still its highly inpractical to be able to destroy all the dieases. Like I said mircorganisms change when they are attacked just like anything
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

they wouldn't need to destroy diseases if they made themselves immune like the aschen
                    R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

they wouldn't need to destroy diseases if they made themselves immune like the aschen
                      I highly doubt the Aschen were immune to all dieases. You advance yourself technologically mother nature had a cruel way of advancing as well. The bacteria we fight are a lot worse then the ones we fought in say the 16th century.
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

I love how easy it was to completely hijack this thread.

The history is wrong. For one they didn't leave TO FIND Avalon they left and discovered it.

Smallpox wasn't "wiped out". It's still around. We significantly reduced the number of host and stopped the ability for the disease to spread. There is a vaccine but we did NOT eliminate it.
                        How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

Originally posted by aarlin81 View Post
                          Looked for a new home. At this point Destiny (SGU) hadn't launched yet. So if seeder ships had seeded gates the only ship they would have that could traverse Pegasus and map the network would be Atlantis. There was evidence of another city (The Tower) but we don't know if it was a city ship like Atlantis.

So we don't know when exactly they settled on Lantea. There are a number of things within Atlantis they were left unexplained and that's unfortunate. Fuzzy timelines being one of them.

You do make a few assumptions that I need to address....

1. Stars are not constant. This could be relatively recent activity within the star; at least this magnitude.
                          2. The event may have happened before but not along this scale or as frequent so no data exists with a prediction
                          3. The database is HUGE and McKay is always "finding" things.
                          4. What McKay found was part of a larger report dealing with the planet's whale population.

Just some things to think about. It's been awhile since I've watched the episode so I'll have to go back and have a look.
                          destiny had been launched a long time before this.
                          the tower was another city-ship.

Comment

Like jelgate said, thats one disease.... some diseases can't ever be wiped out, influenza for example, it has huge animal resevoirs world wide, plus it mutates (antigenic shift and antigenic drift) which can give rise to a new extremely dangerous strain of the virus in a second. How do you propose that disease be wiped out? considering millions of animals worldwide are infected with countless different strains?? Smallpox was easy, others.. not so much. Plus that plague was created by the Ori, which the tau'ri were only able to cure with access to the prior who created it and his DNA

And I think the only number we have for how long atlantis was on that planet is "Several Million years" thats what was given at the start of rising for when it left earth, and we know the war with the wraith ended only 30,000 years ago or some (relatively) small figure like that
                            I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by aarlin81 View Post
                              I love how easy it was to completely hijack this thread.

The history is wrong. For one they didn't leave TO FIND Avalon they left and discovered it.

Smallpox wasn't "wiped out". It's still around. We significantly reduced the number of host and stopped the ability for the disease to spread. There is a vaccine but we did NOT eliminate it.
                              No actually smallpox is gone dude, there are samples still in some labs (CDC, WHO etc) somewhere but thats it. The last natural case was in 1977, but there wasn't another case that came from a lab that had a sample of the disease in 1978. They haven't vaccinated against it in 20 years and since its unique to humans there are no other carriers. Its gone, wiped out, eradicated whatever you want to call it.. but one thing it most certainly isn't.. is still around...
                              I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Working...
                              X