Is Young A Coward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Young A Coward?

He seemed willing, eager even, to sacrifice Chloe's and Rush's life in order to keep his secret. He's gone down in my estimation as a person, as a character though, I find him a lot more interesting indeed.

Discuss.

possibly but i think it also had to do with the fact that if those aliens had access to rush's mind than they might know about earth and such and young wanted them gone

Comment

Meh who cares
      Tst

Comment

Chloe and Rush were never in danger, the shield seemed able to fully resist, at least temporarily. As he said it was a command decision (and as I said in another thread) I believe it was the right one. Destiny needed to send a message that it's no pushover (and so discouraging another attack), and to cripple the enemy ship before our own shield collapsed.

If he really wanted them dead he could have ordered Scot (in the shuttle) or Eli (main weapon controls) to fire on the incoming fighter. No one would have been the wiser.

Also when the enemy retreats and you see one fighter coming towards you what is your first thought ? Kamikaze run or it's loaded with nukes. The fighters seemed to get through the shield like it was nothing, such an attack would do the most damage. Actually Young took a big chance by not firing on it, on the hope that Rush and Chloe might be on it. (Like Hammond keeping the iris open while gun fire comes through). There could have been anything inside that.

No, he's not a coward at all.
        Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
          He seemed willing, eager even, to sacrifice Chloe's and Rush's life in order to keep his secret. He's gone down in my estimation as a person, as a character though, I find him a lot more interesting indeed.

Discuss.
          I don't get how you thought he attacked the alien ship in the end just to kill off Rush and keep secret of what ahd occurred. That's a huge stretch IMO. Besides....it wasn't like Young alone was guilty in the whole dustup with Rush. Rush did try to frame him and that fact would make even the non-military folks of the ship somewhat sympathetic to Young's anger (without justifying what he did).

Comment

He's gone down in my estimation as a person, as a character though, I find him a lot more interesting indeed.
            Agreed. As a person he seems like a bit of a nasty piece of work, but it is really interesting to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
              Chloe and Rush were never in danger, the shield seemed able to fully resist, at least temporarily.
              It's easy for us to say that with hindsight, Young on the other hand would have had no idea.

As he said it was a command decision (and as I said in another thread) I believe it was the right one.
              I suspect he was lying.

Destiny needed to send a message that it's no pushover (and so discouraging another attack), and to cripple the enemy ship before our own shield collapsed.
              Then why didn't he do that from the off, why did he only change his mind after seeing that Rush was aboard?

If he really wanted them dead he could have ordered Scot (in the shuttle) or Eli (main weapon controls) to fire on the incoming fighter. No one would have been the wiser.
              He didn't seem to be aware of the incoming fighter, let alone who was inside it.

Also when the enemy retreats and you see one fighter coming towards you what is your first thought ? Kamikaze run or it's loaded with nukes. The fighters seemed to get through the shield like it was nothing, such an attack would do the most damage. Actually Young took a big chance by not firing on it, on the hope that Rush and Chloe might be on it. (Like Hammond keeping the iris open while gun fire comes through). There could have been anything inside that.
              Not sure how that helps your argument.

Comment

like young said, it was a command decision made for the collective good... after all the aliens started firing on destiny, how were they supposed to respond but to fire back? Surely taking care of your own ship and crew is more important than saving the lives of 2 crew in enemy hands with no realistic prospects of rescue?
                I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

It's easy for us to say that with hindsight, Young on the other hand would have had no idea.
                  If the enemy ship's shields started to collapse he would have been notified immediately. Destiny does have sensors.

I suspect he was lying.
                  The show strives toward creating ambiguous characters. I guess it succeeded.
                  Then why didn't he do that from the off, why did he only change his mind after seeing that Rush was aboard?
                  Focusing on the main ship wouldn't have mattered if the fighters got the chance to do some serious damage and/or board the Destiny. Once there were fewer of them they had the breathing room to choose their targets.

He didn't seem to be aware of the incoming fighter, let alone who was inside it.
                  Everyone saw it. It had to be listed on the tactical displays. Not sure why Young would miss it.

Not sure how that helps your argument.
                  Point being - he had every reason to fire on the fighter, yet he didn't. The only reason not to was if Chloe and Rush were inside. So, if he wanted to blow them up while they were in the main ship he would have done the same with the fighter. But he didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                    possibly but i think it also had to do with the fact that if those aliens had access to rush's mind than they might know about earth and such and young wanted them gone
                    I agree with this assessment, the knowledge in Rush'd mind is far too dangerous in the hands of a seemingly hostile alien race, so that ship had to be destroyed. I wonder how long it will be before this species does an end run on earth like the Gou'ld and Wraith tried? All in all, the Stargate program's record of first encounters is dismal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
                      If the enemy ship's shields started to collapse he would have been notified immediately. Destiny does have sensors.
                      You have no idea what Destiny is capable of detecting. And are you seriously suggesting that Young told Eli to keep firing (even if it might destroy Destiny and kill everyone on board) just to put on a show? To send a message?

Eli: If we fire again we risk blowing up the ship
                      Young: I don't have a choice

Seems fairly obvious to me (and various reviewers) what the writers were trying to get across here.

Focusing on the main ship wouldn't have mattered if the fighters got the chance to do some serious damage and/or board the Destiny. Once there were fewer of them they had the breathing room to choose their targets.
                      There were still loads left. You seem to be grasping at straws here.

Everyone saw it. It had to be listed on the tactical displays. Not sure why Young would miss it.
                      Everyone saw it but none of them even mentioned it? Young seemed oblivious to it, as did everyone apart from Scott and Greer.

Point being - he had every reason to fire on the fighter, yet he didn't. The only reason not to was if Chloe and Rush were inside. So, if he wanted to blow them up while they were in the main ship he would have done the same with the fighter. But he didn't.
                      I'm sorry, but this is getting ridiculous. Assuming all that were true, why didn't he mention to anyone that he saw Rush on the ship? Slipped his mind?
                      Last edited by KEK; 03 April 2010, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Honestly, yes I think he is somewhat of a coward. Too me he seemed willing to sacrifice Rush and Chloe just to keep his secret which IMO just kinda makes him a terrible leader.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                          Honestly, yes I think he is somewhat of a coward. Too me he seemed willing to sacrifice Rush and Chloe just to keep his secret which IMO just kinda makes him a terrible leader.
                          Yeah lets have the Destiny blow up killing everyone else besides Rush and Chloe. That makes a lot of sense
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                            Not likely.

You realize how far they were from earth right? They'd have to be capable of travelling hundreds of times faster than anything we've ever seen in stargate to get to earth whithin the lifetimes of the show's characters grandchildren.

Comment

You have no idea what Destiny is capable of detecting. And are you seriously suggesting that Young told Eli to keep firing (even if it might destroy Destiny and kill everyone on board) just to put on a show? To send a message?

Eli: If we fire again we risk blowing up the ship
                              Young: I don't have a choice
                              At that point only the fighters were retreating. For all they knew if they stopped firing they would have given the enemy time to regenerate their shields. They were in a desperate situation at that point - either they blow us up or we fire and endanger the ship, choose your poison. He didn't have a choice.

Seems fairly obvious to me (and various reviewers) what the writers were trying to get across here.
                              Yeah, the situation was desperate. They either got them good or the aliens would return to finish what they started.

There were still loads left. You seem to be grasping at straws here.
                              Here's a screenshot:

I count 4 enemy fighters and the shuttle. A few frames later another one comes into view, so that makes 5 that were left after the first attack. What straws you say ?

Everyone saw it but none of them even mentioned it? Young seemed oblivious to it, as did everyone apart from Scott and Greer.
                              Just because we didn't see it on screen doesn't mean it didn't happen. They're obviously not going to show every tidbit in great detail in a 42 min show. All the ships were monitored on the tactical screen and plenty of people were watching the battle unfold through the windows. Now who's grasping at straws ? We didn't see Young finding out that Chloe was taken either, just some guy reaching for his radio. Doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I'm sorry, but this is getting ridiculous. Assuming all that were true, why didn't he mention to anyone that he saw Rush on the ship? Slipped his mind?
                              Then why did he even bother getting Rush out of that fish tank ? He could have just left him there. It was clear from the start that he was going/wanted to save Rush.

Ridiculous indeed, these are clearly the acts of horrible person, helping someone ????222 Saving someone ?! /sarc I detect a selective attention span. Reality not matching your opinion ?

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                              So he would be a better leader if he let the aliens destroy the Destiny, and kill everybody because two people *might* still be alive ?

Comment

Working...
                              X