This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archetectural cameos

I'm not in any sense an architect, and it has nothing to do with what I'm studying in college, but I've always been a bit of a casual observer of how designs evolve over time, both in reality and in sci-fi. The original film and early SG-1 defined the Goa'uld "style", with it's curvy lines over obsidian surfaces, the most obvious example being the Milky Way stargates. After finding out that the Ancients built the stargates, it was easy to assume that the Goa'uld adapted the artistic look of the stargate design and applied it to themselves so as to legitimize their claim over it's creation.

The design spread to the Jaffa, and remains in Goa'uld designs to this day. It's obvious the Ancients allowed their artistic evolution to continue due to the lack of this specific design in Atlantis or their Aurora-class ships. Clearly, then, the curvy-lines-on-obsidian-surface motif was a relatively early architectural habit.

We then see the same design on the Ark of Truth, further solidifying this.

What I love is that the creators of SGU, at least perhaps the set designs (or someone), made the choice to include this design all throughout Destiny. This subtle hint in the walls themselves seems to present a clue toward the Destiny's placement in the Ancients' history.

It also makes you wonder how the Goa'uld would have turned out had Atlantis and other cityships of its type remained in the Milky Way. Would they have adapted the obviously more progressive architectural styles? Would that have changed how we as a society perceive our gods of antiquity, as their appearance would likely have been altered drastically? How would the Jaffa look wearing armor inspired by the visual appearance of Atlantis as opposed to the curvy lines on the stargates? The way this comes across to me, it seems that the Ancient culture has permeated our own to a degree so far unrecognized by any main characters have acknowledged onscreen. Interesting stuff!

What are your thoughts? Notice any other subtle stylistic consistencies that have so far gone unrecognized?

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Your observations are very intriguing and thought-provoking an..

Spoiler:
    Yes, I know...That wasn't very nice, but it's all in the spirit of friendly fun.

Comment

LOL!!!!

Well, we're all interested by different things :-)

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

I've also been fascinated by specific styles that writers give to specific species, especially in long running shows like Star Trek and Stargate. Green for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganthet Jr. View Post
          What I love is that the creators of SGU, at least perhaps the set designs (or someone), made the choice to include this design all throughout Destiny. This subtle hint in the walls themselves seems to present a clue toward the Destiny's placement in the Ancients' history.
          I've noticed some familiar Ancient-y patterns myself. Love this attention to details.
          sigpic

Comment

Wasn't that shell type art in Atlantis also?

Comment

yeah i noticed this too!

as far as we know the only ancient technology that has those marks are destiny and the AOT. This would indicate the relative ages of these technologies. While atlantis is more modern (and the outposts too). seeing as the goauld tech is modeled after the early tech woudl indicate that they technology the goauld used was early ancient stuff.

yet another (sort of) proof of the fact that destiny is older than atlantis

Comment

you know, guys, I'm thinkin we can use this thread to comment on defining characterstics of races in Stargate

anyone wanna make a go?
                If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Working...
                X