Destiny Stargate Address Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny Stargate Address Theory

If this hasn't been answered yet, I think I have a good idea of how gate addresses work for the Destiny Stargates, since it's clearly meant to be able to dial to points in space that hadn't been mapped when the symbols were made, and clearly without using constellations. Keep in mind this is just my theory. Now, these addresses still use 7 symbols, and one of the scientists concluded that the 7th symbol was a distance equation. So, my theory is that the first 6 symbols correspond to any point in space immediately around the gate. Like a sphere of possible destination points around it. Then the 7th symbol would be how far in that direction the chosen Stargate approximately is. What does everyone else think?
    Last edited by Byakuya Truelight; 02 April 2010, 04:35 PM.

Originally posted by Byakuya Truelight View Post
    If this hasn't been answered yet, I think I have a good idea of how gate addresses work for the Destiny Stargate, since it's clearly meant to be able to dial to points in space that hadn't been mapped when the symbols were made, and clearly without using constellations. Keep in mind this is just my theory. Now, these addresses still use 7 symbols, and one of the scientists concluded that the 7th symbol was a distance equation. So, my theory is that the first 6 symbols correspond to any point in space immediately around the Destiny. Like a sphere of possible destination points around Destiny. Then the 7th symbol would be how far in that direction the chosen Stargate approximately is. What does everyone else think?
    The destiny has a fixed address no matter where she is. Maybe the dentiny also dial milky way galaxy to inform of its new position and distance. The gates automatically rearange the address database on it memory so the destiny always stay with the same address. Similar to a fixed IP address?
    Last edited by Steelbox; 02 April 2010, 09:39 AM.
    sigpic
    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

No no no, I'm not talking about Destiny's address. I'm talking about the addresses that Destiny dials to other gates.

Comment

I doubt it. we know the seed ships maintain active communication with destiny, so they would give her the addresses of all the gates as they placed them.

Comment

Good idea, certainly better than anything I've come up with, but when Riley was talking about the final glyph being a distance equation, he was referring to the 9th one for an address to Earth, a fixed address the Alterans would've known on the Destiny. Though your hypothesis would explain why the Destiny can seemingly only dial to gates within close proximity, whereas the SGC and Atlantis can dial any gate in their galaxy. Idk, good thinking either way

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
            I doubt it. we know the seed ships maintain active communication with destiny, so they would give her the addresses of all the gates as they placed them.
            That may be true, but the gate on Destiny presumably existed before it actually received that data, symbols and all. So, by my understanding, the symbols couldn't represent actual locations in space like constellations simply because it was unexplored by the Ancients at the time that Stargate was built.

Comment

Oh, obviously. Some sort of standardized galactic reference system is far likelier. Which would be applied to every galaxy that as seeded.

The original constellation idea was never very god anyways, there is no way a set of constellations could point the position of every gate.

Comment

What kind of reference system could be created for places that had never been mapped out and explored before? Except for my theory, of course.

Comment

The seed ships may map the galaxy with long range sensors and arbitrarily assign some sort of Cartesian coordinate plain based on some outstanding astronomical feature, like a pulsar.

Perhaps it's not a reference system at all, but rather like a telephone, with each six-symbol combination corresponding to a particular gate?

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
                    The destiny has a fixed address no matter where she is. Maybe the dentiny also dial milky way galaxy to inform of its new position and distance.
                    On a side note, I think that it is worth noting that the Destiny does have a local seven-chevron address (as seen in "Air, Part 3"). Whether this address is constant remains unknown.

Whether this address changes as the Destiny moves is a matter of speculation.
                    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

As of now the telephone system seems like the most plausible hypothesis, but who knows. Hopefully they'll address the issue sometime in the show when they deal with some gate problem

Comment

i think the telephone system is most plausible, the first ever gate seeded is 00000001 then 00000002 etc etc, but to stop hacking of the system they used words instead of numbers, as it was mentioned by the producers that the symbols are ancient words in their earliest language. so its like having the dial on your safe surrounded by mayan words but each one arbeteraly stands for a number, so you have a code you cant break because you dont know the cypher
                        sigpic
                        THERE IS NO MORE POWER!!

Comment

Its a safe assumption that the correlative updates of stargates include the entire network from one end of the universe to the other. Weve seen that destiny gets updates from the seeder ships, and we see how fast (in real time) the ancients communications are across the universe are. So its reasonable to assume that destiny is some sort of fixed central point in the gate network system, and its address is always accessible through the other gates around it.

That or they could just be calculating its 7-point address from scratch every time it stops. It would be a different address every time tho. Maybe thats why there are no dhds and they use those little laptops?

Comment

Given that the destiny stargates are older then those in the MW and pegasus Id say the basic principle how they work is exactly the same (first 6 give the address and 7th is PoO) , as for the first 6 chevrons corresponding to a fixed area of space (like a sphere) that was pretty obvious from atlantis and what not when they were able to dial gates from the midway station and dial from atlantis when it was space.

The destiny's computer probably just auto corrects for its constantly changing point of origin, which easily could be done cos it knows in advance where its going and it has maps of all the regions from the seeder ships and its been pretty much stated that the destiny has some form of AI running it.
                            I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Working...
                            X