Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Canucktuarians' - a.k.a Sanctuarians in Canada

Hello all!

As you can probably tell from my rep status, I'm a pretty green newbie around here! I didn't see a thread on Canadian Sanctuary fans (affectionately called 'Canucktuarians' by the largely Canuck Sanctuary team!) so I thought I'd start one. (If I've just missed/overlooked a thread, I apologise in advanced!!)

I'm a HUGH Stargate and Santuary fan who grew up in Hamilton, Ontario and now lives in Ottawa. Where is everyone else from?

Anyone else find how far behind Space Channel was annoying? (sorry, that was really badly phrased!)

Can't wait to 'meet' all of you!

_SocraticMethod

Originally posted by _SocraticMethod View Post
    Hello all!

As you can probably tell from my rep status, I'm a pretty green newbie around here! I didn't see a thread on Canadian Sanctuary fans (affectionately called 'Canucktuarians' by the largely Canuck Sanctuary team!) so I thought I'd start one. (If I've just missed/overlooked a thread, I apologise in advanced!!)

I'm a HUGH Stargate and Santuary fan who grew up in Hamilton, Ontario and now lives in Ottawa. Where is everyone else from?

Anyone else find how far behind Space Channel was annoying? (sorry, that was really badly phrased!)

Can't wait to 'meet' all of you!

_SocraticMethod
    Hello backatcha!

I don't like to give too much personal info on the internet so let's just say I'm very "friendly" and you can figure out from there where I live.

I'm afraid we are a pretty small bunch here on GW but still a nice idea to start the thread.

I'm also a huge Stargate fan (started watching in season 4 and eventually got caught up) and followed AT, MW and DK to Sanctuary. As a Canucktuarian I am very proud this is a Canadian show. I was never involved in any fandom until Stargate and have never been involved in a show from its infancy (actually, before it was even on the air so I guess that would make it from the womb ) so I have pride in this show and hopes for its success in a way I have never had before.

Overall, I like the move to Space (did you see season one on the Movie Channel/Movie Central?). It provides a much greater potential audience for Sanctuary. Besides, it saves me the extra $13.00 a month I was paying to get MC . They have done a pretty good job promoting it (the BTS special, an InnerSpace episode with AT and a number of small segments) although they could do more. For example, they promote SGU much more than Sanctuary.

I also didn't like the huge break in season 2. Not only did it put us behind everyone else, when the show came back it had to compete with the Olympics. Not a good scheduling move.

Are you going to The Sanctuary Experience (the Sanctuary convention in Vancouver in July)?

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
      Hello backatcha!

I don't like to give too much personal info on the internet so let's just say I'm very "friendly" and you can figure out from there where I live.

I'm afraid we are a pretty small bunch here on GW but still a nice idea to start the thread.

I'm also a huge Stargate fan (started watching in season 4 and eventually got caught up) and followed AT, MW and DK to Sanctuary. As a Canucktuarian I am very proud this is a Canadian show. I was never involved in any fandom until Stargate and have never been involved in a show from its infancy (actually, before it was even on the air so I guess that would make it from the womb ) so I have pride in this show and hopes for its success in a way I have never had before.

Overall, I like the move to Space (did you see season one on the Movie Channel/Movie Central?). It provides a much greater potential audience for Sanctuary. Besides, it saves me the extra $13.00 a month I was paying to get MC . They have done a pretty good job promoting it (the BTS special, an InnerSpace episode with AT and a number of small segments) although they could do more. For example, they promote SGU much more than Sanctuary.

I also didn't like the huge break in season 2. Not only did it put us behind everyone else, when the show came back it had to compete with the Olympics. Not a good scheduling move.

Are you going to The Sanctuary Experience (the Sanctuary convention in Vancouver in July)?
      GAH! So I just spent forever typing out a lengthy response and then the bloody thing didn't post! Not cool!! lol, oh well... here goes then...

Hi EH-T!! It's nice to meet you!

It's a shame our numbers are so thin here - hopefully people will start to notice this thread.

Yeah, I've never been involved in fandom this actively until now. I started getting involved on Twitter in a couple RPGs and now I'm hooked, lol! I'm glad I decided to join in the fun here.

To answer your question, no I didn't watch on the Movie Channel. In fact, I came into the show late, so I didn't even know about it until last year! I think that might have even had something to do with the fact that it was on MC, since I don't get that channel. (probably also because of my lack of involvement in fandom too... I didn't hear any of the buzz about Sanctuary from within Stargate fandom where I'm sure the buzz began.) So, yeah, I'm definitely glad they moved to Space! lol In any case, I think it's more in keeping with their target audience too. I love all the stuff InnerSpace has been doing to help promote the show - I think I've seen their episode on Sanctuary about 3 times, lol! But, as to the break, tell me about it, eh?!?!? I mean, really, you'd think a Canadian show and a Canadian channel would know better than to try to compete with the winter Olympics being held in Canada!! But, then again, I'm sure there was a myriad of other things that played into their decision - these things are so often more complicated than the fans can see.

Finally, as to SE, I am *DYING* to go, but alas I cannot. I have to work full-time to pay for school, and so, because of school, I don't have the money to spend. Eventually, I want to save up enough money to do GateCon and a few others. I've seen some news on AT5 and Meet the Man and I'm SUPER bummed that I can't get out to those... eventually though! How about yourself? You going to the con in July?

Comment

GAH! So I just spent forever typing out a lengthy response and then the bloody thing didn't post! Not cool!! lol, oh well... here goes then...

Hi EH-T!! It's nice to meet you!

It's a shame our numbers are so thin here - hopefully people will start to notice this thread.

Yeah, I've never been involved in fandom this actively until now. I started getting involved on Twitter in a couple RPGs and now I'm hooked, lol! I'm glad I decided to join in the fun here.

To answer your question, no I didn't watch on the Movie Channel. In fact, I came into the show late, so I didn't even know about it until last year! I think that might have even had something to do with the fact that it was on MC, since I don't get that channel. (probably also because of my lack of involvement in fandom too... I didn't hear any of the buzz about Sanctuary from within Stargate fandom where I'm sure the buzz began.) So, yeah, I'm definitely glad they moved to Space! lol In any case, I think it's more in keeping with their target audience too. I love all the stuff InnerSpace has been doing to help promote the show - I think I've seen their episode on Sanctuary about 3 times, lol! But, as to the break, tell me about it, eh?!?!? I mean, really, you'd think a Canadian show and a Canadian channel would know better than to try to compete with the winter Olympics being held in Canada!! But, then again, I'm sure there was a myriad of other things that played into their decision - these things are so often more complicated than the fans can see.

Finally, as to SE, I am *DYING* to go, but alas I cannot. I have to work full-time to pay for school, and so, because of school, I don't have the money to spend. Eventually, I want to save up enough money to do GateCon and a few others. I've seen some news on AT5 and Meet the Man and I'm SUPER bummed that I can't get out to those... eventually though! How about yourself? You going to the con in July?
        I admire your dedication.

Unfortunately, I understand that this is the last year for Gatecon so you won't get to go to that in future. I had planned on going this year but then SE and MTM came up so I opted for those instead. Gatecon is a couple of weeks earlier in July so I can't take all that time off.

I'm planning to go to AT5 as well. My first con was AT3 and I made it to AT4 as well. Those ones are so much fun it is hard not to keep going back. Besides, London is fabulous.

Comment

I admire your dedication.

Unfortunately, I understand that this is the last year for Gatecon so you won't get to go to that in future. I had planned on going this year but then SE and MTM came up so I opted for those instead. Gatecon is a couple of weeks earlier in July so I can't take all that time off.

I'm planning to go to AT5 as well. My first con was AT3 and I made it to AT4 as well. Those ones are so much fun it is hard not to keep going back. Besides, London is fabulous.
          Dang. Well that sucks. But there's always all the others! I'd love to see the set some day, though... who knows...

You're doing SE and MTM, eh?! That's amazing!!! You're so lucky!!!

Comment

Dang. Well that sucks. But there's always all the others! I'd love to see the set some day, though... who knows...

You're doing SE and MTM, eh?! That's amazing!!! You're so lucky!!!
            Do you mean the Stargate sets? Hate to keep bringing up bad news but I was at the Creation con last April. That's the one that usually does the set tours. All we got to see of the SG1 sets were a hallway and the gate. The gateroom had completely changed for SGU. We did get to see the Hammond and the SGA set but who knows how long that will last since there doesn't seem to be any hope of a movie on the horizon. I'm not attending the con this year but I hear they aren't doing any tours as the sets are being rebuilt for season 2 of SGU.

Comment

Do you mean the Stargate sets? Hate to keep bringing up bad news but I was at the Creation con last April. That's the one that usually does the set tours. All we got to see of the SG1 sets were a hallway and the gate. The gateroom had completely changed for SGU. We did get to see the Hammond and the SGA set but who knows how long that will last since there doesn't seem to be any hope of a movie on the horizon. I'm not attending the con this year but I hear they aren't doing any tours as the sets are being rebuilt for season 2 of SGU.
              lol, no luck, eh!

Yeah, I knew they were rebuilding for SGU, but I'm an SGU fan too, so if those sets are ever open for tours at some point I'd love to see them.

You're right about the movies... we haven't heard anything in ages! There's at least one campaign out there to get the films green-lit, but so far, it doesn't look good. I *loved* AOT and Continuum, so I'm really bummed about that... And they better do at least one Atlantis movie, 'cuz seriously, there's so much more to be said!! But then, the present economy isn't exactly forgiving to the tv/film industry.

Comment

lol, no luck, eh!

Yeah, I knew they were rebuilding for SGU, but I'm an SGU fan too, so if those sets are ever open for tours at some point I'd love to see them.

You're right about the movies... we haven't heard anything in ages! There's at least one campaign out there to get the films green-lit, but so far, it doesn't look good. I *loved* AOT and Continuum, so I'm really bummed about that... And they better do at least one Atlantis movie, 'cuz seriously, there's so much more to be said!! But then, the present economy isn't exactly forgiving to the tv/film industry.
                Well, then here is some good news for a change. My understanding is that the SGU sets are only unavailable this year as they are rebuilding them for season 2. Presumably then, they would be available for tours in future years (assuming SGU lasts).

Unfortunately I waited too long to visit so I missed the Stargate sets. However, I did get to see the Sanctuary sets last year. Helen's office is very cool.

Comment

Hello backatcha!

*coughs*

do adopted Canadians count?
                  Last edited by JanSam; 07 April 2010, 06:24 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hello backatcha!

A corner on Bloor St. in Toronto?
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

tmi

sigpic

Comment

Just to let you know, I'm the Canuck...JanSam's the interloper
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

*Goes to tell Ma, Mandy is being mean*
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                            Just to let you know, I'm the Canuck...JanSam's the interloper
                            Originally posted by JanSam View Post
                            tmi

LOL! Hi guys Nice to see you here, too!

Mandysg1, so you have the bona fides and JanSam doesn't, eh? From what province do you hail? Chuckled at the remark about Bloor St., by the way...

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
                              *coughs*

do adopted Canadians count?
                              Hey! No posting here (unless we can see your adoption papers)

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                              A corner on Bloor St. in Toronto?

Comment

Working...
                              X