PDA

View Full Version : Season 5 critics - I Dunno What Y'All Talking About...

Tachyon
April 1st, 2010, 12:08 PM
So I finally did it - I bought SG Atlantis Season 5 DVD boxset and you know what - I was most pleasently surprised. So I don't know what Y'all "season 5 critics" are talking about. http://talk.livedaily.com/images/ld/icons/redface.gif

SGA's season 5 was solid, full of excitement and overall great. I was not bothered with the lame replicator s*it anymore, so Atlantis felt like Atlantis again. During the seasons 3 and 4 I kind of lost interest with the series, but season 5 is pure dynamite and showed what SGA is all about. I am definitely feeling it and many of the episodes are re-watchable without a doubt. :cool: The best part of it all - the replicator situation was resolved, so the series returned to its roots with the Wraiths being the bad guys and whatnot. As the result: great stories, excitement, and pure SGA at its best.

However, I kind of want to love season 4, because my girl Amanda is on it, but I have to face the facts - season 5 is pure gold. It's in the same league with seasons 1 and 2 for me, which until now, have been my favorite seasons of SGA . :cool:

Replicator Todd
April 1st, 2010, 12:30 PM
I agree, I thought Season 5 was fantastic. The negativity towards saddens me but everything gets negativity in one form or another. I only wish SGA got one more year. :(

chrono trigger
April 1st, 2010, 01:30 PM
for me this season was great in parts but terrible in others for instance i loved the shrine and whispers but i hated ghost in the machine and got tired of kellers love triangle.however i think woolsey was a great addition to the cast.

The Mighty 6 platoon
April 1st, 2010, 02:43 PM
While it's not my favourite season of SGA, and far from my overall favourite season of stargate, I've never understood the hate towards season 5 of SGA from some quarters. It's a solid season with plenty of entertaining episodes in my opinion.

magictrick
April 1st, 2010, 03:02 PM
There's plenty of threads out there where you'll find many reasons listed of why season 5 was not up to par with the rest. Actually mostly its seasons 4 &5 that are critiqued harshly. With that in mind I won't restate everything here but just quickly summarize the main points.

1) Poor writing, bad plots: these happened in other seasons, but occurred way too often in the latter 2, made from some very weak episodes
2) Teyla and Ronon, where did they go?
3) McKeller

The biggie is #1, with #2 and 3 just the end result.

Trillian52
April 1st, 2010, 03:05 PM
Like all seasons it has some good episodes (The Queen, The Shrine and Vegas) and some bad (Whispers, Brainstorm) which is pretty much par for the course. But like or dislike of episodes is purely subjective and I tend to think some of the criticism came more from disappointment that the show was cancelled and the fact that the whole thing ended in such an unsatisfactory way (for me at least).

asdf1239
April 1st, 2010, 04:42 PM
i dont understand how teyla and ronon are "underused" during 4 and 5

g.o.d
April 2nd, 2010, 04:23 AM
i dont understand how teyla and ronon are "underused" during 4 and 5

the best example is how Speppard told Teyla to stay on Atlantis in "511" in the beginning of the episode

carmencatalina
April 2nd, 2010, 12:18 PM
For me one of the best things about Season 5 was Woolsey - seriously! Ok, part of that is my deep and nutty love for Robert Picardo. But I think he was a lot of fun in that role - so awkward and wonderfully out-of-place. And yet he did a pretty good job running things.

Changing into a suit to relax? Scotch and cigar? Love the dude.

asdf1239
April 2nd, 2010, 02:42 PM
personally i thought teyla was a little overused generally with all those athosian and michael episodes...ugh

chrono trigger
April 2nd, 2010, 02:51 PM
personally i thought teyla was a little overused generally with all those athosian and michael episodes...ugh

WOW i have never heard anyone say that before.

magictrick
April 2nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
WOW i have never heard anyone say that before.

Ya I've never heard that opinion before either; I guess that's why reading the forums is interesting, lots of different points of view. The thing with that story line was that it was about Teyla and her people but if you watch the episodes she's not actually featured, just mentioned by the other characters.

chrono trigger
April 2nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
Ya I've never heard that opinion before either; I guess that's why reading the forums is interesting, lots of different points of view. The thing with that story line was that it was about Teyla and her people but if you watch the episodes she's not actually featured, just mentioned by the other characters.

exactly

asdf1239
April 2nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
well i guess i just think there are better ways to use the character than those 2 arcs

fumblesmcstupid
April 2nd, 2010, 05:50 PM
FalconHorse

Where are yoooooooooooou?

We need the word count and character use thingy again.

lordofseas
April 2nd, 2010, 06:43 PM
So I finally did it - I bought SG Atlantis Season 5 DVD boxset and you know what - I was most pleasently surprised. So I don't know what Y'all "season 5 critics" are talking about. http://talk.livedaily.com/images/ld/icons/redface.gif

SGA's season 5 was solid, full of excitement and overall great. I was not bothered with the lame replicator s*it anymore, so Atlantis felt like Atlantis again. During the seasons 3 and 4 I kind of lost interest with the series, but season 5 is pure dynamite and showed what SGA is all about. I am definitely feeling it and many of the episodes are re-watchable without a doubt. :cool: The best part of it all - the replicator situation was resolved, so the series returned to its roots with the Wraiths being the bad guys and whatnot. As the result: great stories, excitement, and pure SGA at its best.

However, I kind of want to love season 4, because my girl Amanda is on it, but I have to face the facts - season 5 is pure gold. It's in the same league with seasons 1 and 2 for me, which until now, have been my favorite seasons of SGA . :cool:

I had only a few problems with SGA 5: Epi. 1-9. Except for the pitiful end to Elizabeth's arc, it was all good. 10-20 = Barely watchable, with the exceptions of Vegas, EatG, First Contact and The Lost Tribe, which were absolutely horrendous. Reasons for the above:

Elizabeth's Arc and GitM: A ridiculous end to an amazing character. What, she walks out into space? They don't at least try to get information on how to finish it themselves, and then put her back into her body? Yeah, how that flew was a shock.

Vegas: I hate CSI. This entire episode was a waste. It had nothing to do with anything at all, except setting up the finale, which could have been done a million other, and better ways. Speaking of finales...

EATG: Wow. Well, that's a bucket of horse sweat. Thanks for pouring that down our throats, TPTB. Do I really need to go through this?

First Contact/The Lost Tribe: You resurrect a dead race, in the middle of your final season? How are you going to solve this one, TPTB? It was completely saddening.

asdf1239
April 2nd, 2010, 06:50 PM
first contact/lost tribe was one of my favorites tbh. everything was tied together brilliantly from todd to the device to the travelers and the asgards had potential

Tachyon
April 2nd, 2010, 09:48 PM
first contact/lost tribe was one of my favorites tbh. everything was tied together brilliantly from todd to the device to the travelers and the asgards had potential

Hands down one of the best two parters of SGA. Lovin' it. Though, at first I was a little sceptical - are these episodes written just because they wanted MS to be there? But luckily no. The story was great and Daniel being part of it worked nicely.

Elizabeth's Arc and GitM: A ridiculous end to an amazing character. What, she walks out into space? They don't at least try to get information on how to finish it themselves, and then put her back into her body? Yeah, how that flew was a shock.

It was a shock, but a one that worked really well for me. My face was http://talk.livedaily.com/images/ld/icons/eek.gif when seeing the end of that particular episode, but I definitely liked it. Kind of brave move from TPTB.

Teyla is alright for me, so I don't see her being overused OR having too little screen time. She was there, she did her thing, and I have no complaints about the use of her character during this season.

1) Poor writing, bad plots

Ummm... not seeing it. For me the writing was surprisingly good especially after all the criticism among the fans I've read on this board, for instance. Hence my comment in the first post "I was most pleasently surprised."

2) Teyla and Ronon, where did they go?

I saw them there. :)

3) McKeller

It kind of worked for me. In the end of the season 4 when we got the first hint about such a possibility, I was like "WTF? No way." :S But The Shrine definitely sold me the idea of the two as an item.

The only episode I didn't personally like was (surprise, surprise) Brain Storm, which was too McKay-centric for me. I know the guy is popular, but there would have been many other ways to give us McKay-centric episode with more interesting plot. My main issue with the episode is that when watching SGA, I want the story to take place in Pegasus galaxy or have at least something to do with the series. Like with Vegas - usually I'm not huge fan of alternative universes, but this one was alright. A sole Wraith stranded on Earth was pretty interesting angle for an episode. Perhaps Vegas was a little too CSI-ish for me, but the story was OK nevertheless.

And the series finale - It should have been written as a two parter, most definitely. All that action packed in one 43-minute episode was perhaps a little too compact package for me. As a two parter they could have done more with the story. But it is good as the way it is as well.

fumblesmcstupid
April 2nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
The only episode I enjoyed from start to finish in season 5 was the Daedulus Variations.

All the others had SOMETHING I hated or just flat out did not want to see!

Replicator Todd
April 2nd, 2010, 10:02 PM
I loved EVERY episode of Season 5. So, it seems i'm in the minority.

magictrick
April 3rd, 2010, 08:19 PM
Ummm... not seeing it. For me the writing was surprisingly good especially after all the criticism among the fans I've read on this board, for instance. Hence my comment in the first post "I was most pleasently surprised."

That's what opinions are for. When I compare to previous seasons I found it a lot weaker, and as a result, a lot more weak episodes. We can go episode by episode and compare but i think that would take too long :)

I saw them there. :)

You saw them, but they didn't say much. I just look at Identity and can count Teyla's lines on one hand.

It kind of worked for me. In the end of the season 4 when we got the first hint about such a possibility, I was like "WTF? No way." :S But The Shrine definitely sold me the idea of the two as an item.

I thought it kind of worked in this episode, but as for the episode itself, I never much cared for it. It tried to be too emotional when we all already knew the how it would end at the first mention of the cave: Rodney would be saved by something there. Actually you knew it from the start of the episode because as one of the major characters there was no way anything was going to happen to him. I realize this happens in every episode, but this type of plot could be done in an interesting way. Just look at 38 Minutes from SGA Season 1, that was a great episode.

Linda06
April 4th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Well if you like the McKay show then you'll love season 5 :rolleyes:

The Dude of Lebowski
April 4th, 2010, 06:54 AM
season 5 was probs the best season of the show...it got rid of the replicators nicely and it introduced the lost tribe in one of the best episodes of the series, to bad it was the last season becasue i would hvae like to have seen where they went with that.

fumblesmcstupid
April 4th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Uh season 4 got rid of the replicators.

Season 5 had a few refugee's to deal with.

asdf1239
April 4th, 2010, 02:19 PM
the atlantis team was finishing what the lanteans had started with their betrayal and genocide. props to their moral rectitude!

chrono trigger
April 4th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Well if you like the McKay show then you'll love season 5 :rolleyes:

:) again agreed.

Linda06
April 5th, 2010, 05:31 AM
:) again agreed.

Ah so you know the golden rule then :D

EvilSpaceAlien
April 5th, 2010, 06:03 AM
-Overuse of McKay http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/stargate/speciaux/puke.gif
-McKeller http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/stargate/speciaux/puke.gif http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/stargate/speciaux/puke.gif
-Ronon and Teyla were turned into wallpapers
-Too many stand-alone episodes
-Lack of a real arc during the course of the season.

Do I need to go on?

Linda06
April 5th, 2010, 06:19 AM
-Overuse of McKay http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/stargate/speciaux/puke.gif
-McKeller http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/stargate/speciaux/puke.gif http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/stargate/speciaux/puke.gif
-Ronon and Teyla were turned into wallpapers
-Too many stand-alone episodes
-Lack of a real arc during the course of the season.

Do I need to go on?

Nope, I think you covered it :D

jelgate
April 5th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Ah so you know the golden rule then :D
Linda is always wrong

Linda06
April 5th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Linda is always wrong

Nope, the other one :D

jelgate
April 5th, 2010, 06:56 AM
There is no other one

Linda06
April 5th, 2010, 07:59 AM
There is no other one

Yes there is....

*clears throat* Linda is always right :D

jelgate
April 5th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Yes there is....

*clears throat* Linda is always right :D

That is not a rule. Its a lie created by politicians

asdf1239
April 5th, 2010, 03:38 PM
the main problem i have with s5 is GHOST IN THE MACHINE

magictrick
April 5th, 2010, 06:33 PM
the main problem i have with s5 is GHOST IN THE MACHINE

What, that's the biggest problem you can find? :P Kidding.

I thought the episode was alright, nothing memorable, except the ending, which I thought was pretty good considering how they messed up the whole Elizabeth-turned-replicator storyline. I obviously would've liked to see Torri in the episode playing her character.

asdf1239
April 5th, 2010, 06:37 PM
i thought the episode destroyed the last shreds of weir's moral rectitude which was fine as long as she wont be brought back

Replicator Todd
April 5th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I actually like Ghost in the Machine, too bad it wasn't followed up on. Weir needed some kind of closure after the cliffhanger in BAMSR, and since Torri Higginson was no longer around(:() they had to do it another way. I thought it was fantastic!

asdf1239
April 5th, 2010, 07:25 PM
weir was a villain though

Replicator Todd
April 5th, 2010, 07:35 PM
weir was a villain though

No she wasn't, how so?

asdf1239
April 5th, 2010, 08:13 PM
she a)approved a plan to reprogram the asurans which was inherently immoral anyway which b) caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands of pegasus humans and c) finally condoned genocide and d) betrayed the asurans when they trusted the humans and weir. and of course there was the whole michael fiasco which is unrelated though

Replicator Todd
April 5th, 2010, 08:31 PM
she a)approved a plan to reprogram the asurans which was inherently immoral anyway which b) caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands of pegasus humans and c) finally condoned genocide and d) betrayed the asurans when they trusted the humans and weir. and of course there was the whole michael fiasco which is unrelated though

Immoral to reprogram a dangerous and very powerful race capable of ending the war with the Wraith? Ok, nobody foresee the Asurans destroying Pegasus humans as a way to combat the Wraith. The Asurans were already planning to take Atlantis when she "betrayed" them.

asdf1239
April 5th, 2010, 08:38 PM
only koracen was doing anything suspicious. theres no reason to believe that the other asurans were supporting him, if they wanted to go along they could have easily overpowered the 2-3 guards and killed everyone on the city, the asurans weren't bothering anyone in their peaceful isolationist society until they found out that the city belonging to those who had tried to exterminate them still existed.
they had no right to tamper with the sentient asurans programming to force them to do their bidding.

Replicator Todd
April 5th, 2010, 08:41 PM
only koracen was doing anything suspicious. theres no reason to believe that the other asurans were supporting him, if they wanted to go along they could have easily overpowered the 2-3 guards and killed everyone on the city, the asurans weren't bothering anyone in their peaceful isolationist society until they found out that the city belonging to those who had tried to exterminate them still existed.
they had no right to tamper with the sentient asurans programming to force them to do their bidding.

Perhaps, but the Wraith were a threat to the entire Pegasus AND Milky Way Galaxies. The Asurans provided a possible solution to attempt to end the reign of the Wraith.

asdf1239
April 5th, 2010, 08:48 PM
the wraith were only a threat to the mw because the atlantis team was staying there which provided a possible way for the wraith to get earths location, sure theyre "protecting" the native population but theres over 6 billion people on earth alone and many other populated worlds in the milky way who are all being risked because of atlantis and they have no say in the matter.

programming the asurans to go after the wraith is abusing their rights as sentients. yes you could say the ends justify the means to stop the wraith but then there's nothing "wrong" about the asurans destroying human worlds to starve them. and if the tau'ri really want to use replicators as weapons (which was what they were doing w/ the asurans) then they can build those killer spiders from the milky way which arent sentient.

Falcon Horus
April 6th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Apparently someone wants me to redirect some folks here to my moment of insanity Stargate Atlantis season 1 to 5 wordcount and screentime count, so that a few misunderstandings can be clarified as to why some people belief a few characters were being over- or underused.

All the characters in the main credits over the 5 seasons are included, plus in addition my favorite character - so basically it's Flanigan/Sheppard, Higginson/Weir, Emmagan/Luttrell, Franks/Ford, Hewlett/McKay, McGillion/Beckett, Momoa/Dex, Tapping/Carter, Picardo/Woolsey, Staite/Keller and Rankin/Heightmeyer.

It's a word document - which if you want to use elsewhere ask permission first.

Screentime and words, by Falcon Horus (http://www.mediafire.com/file/mmyynnziimr/Falcon Horus' word & screen.zip)

Parallel Reality
July 10th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I really enjoyed the first half of season 5.
The second half of the season was nothing special.
It only really had one great episode (The Lost Tribe) and the rest just weren't that good. (IMO)

KEK
July 10th, 2010, 05:38 PM
For me The Daedalus Variations, Ghost in the Machine, The Prodigal and Vegas are some of the best episodes in the series.

Quetzocoetl
September 5th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Screentime and words, by Falcon Horus (http://www.mediafire.com/file/mmyynnziimr/Falcon Horus' word & screen.zip)

Impressive...
Interesting to see that Teyla actually had more screen time than Keller, but Mckay had nearly twice the average screen time of Teyla.
Also, once you hit "Season 5" you list it as "Season 4" for everybody but Shepphard.

Falcon Horus
September 5th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Oops - thanks for pointing that out... must have lost my brain by that time. :D

thekillman
September 5th, 2010, 11:42 AM
my problem with s5 is that it was welll... nice, and it had awesome action. but it feels like SO much more could've been done... better.

bluealien
September 5th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Season five had some of the best eps of the series and some of the worst... it got off to a great start but then it all kinda fizzled out.....

Getting McKay a girlfriend seemed like the only plan of the season and Keller become more unbelievable as the season went on....

Their was very little consistancy and too many filler episodes with Keller running through the forrest.... Teyla was relegated to bouncing the baby and the team feel was totally lost.. in fact by the end of the season the team seemed like strangers..

So too much McKay .. far too little good team episodes and I don't mean the episodes where they happened to be in the same room like the Shrine.. in fact by the second half of the season I thought the team had been replaced by clones..

The worst eps of the season were The Shrine and Brainstorm with Identity and Inquistion coming in fairly close behind and the most pointless episode of the season was Gitm...

There were some great moments though and Woolsey was a great addition...I wish he had been there from the start... though I did miss Sam in season 5.... I thought she was awesome in Search and Rescue...:)

thekillman
September 5th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Woolsey is perhaps the best thing about S5. i liked his... otherness. to me it felt like the IOA wasn't just a bunch of incompetent idiots and some of them were actually human, not disguised goauld.

yes i think it would've been better if there was no Sam in s4 (as much as i love her) and in stead we got 2 seasons of woolsey.

Woolsey allowed this interaction where he wasn't certain about things. like "don't try to blow it up while i'm gone" and then sheppard "no promises" and then Woolsey's look of "Huh?"

i love how the team treated him coldly. he was this paper-guy who got to see what the real deal looked like. and i loved him. Remnants showed a very good side of him, liked it how he behaved and all.

the biggest shame remains weir, but it doesn't have anything to do with the conventional "she should've gotten a proper send-off"

i think her hybrid form of asuran (i refuse to call em replis) and human opened so many doors. and the writers slammed them all shut. why make her a replicator? it doesn't make sense.

it would've been better if she remained hybrid and became a point of interest in terms of ascension, and the power of the human mind. apparently a pure robot has a weaker mind than a human. and weir as this human-stuck-inbetween was something interesting.

Beckett was another shame. i liked the sudden reveal of him being alive, and then after a short story, he was just regular old beckett again, ignoring that he was a clone, needed regular injections of some enzyme to stay alive, and what not. i mean, what about repercussions? consequence. nothing. Sheppard got beaten up more times than i have fingers (and toes) and yet it never impacts the storyline.

i mean, what about a story where atlantis is in danger and sheppard -for once- isn't the suicidal hero, but in stead has to live with the fact that other people can be heroes?

Infinite-Possibilities
September 12th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I rather enjoyed Season 5. But it's in a different way from both Season 4 and Seasons 1-3. There are more episodes that I disliked than any other season and there weren't as many episodes that I absolutely loved: like Common Ground, BAMSR, Adrift/Lifeline or The Siege form example. There were also several aspects I didn't care for, The McKeller + Ronon Love Triangle and constantly splitting up the cast for episodes, BUT I still liked most of the episodes (by far) and I thought there was a lot of improvements in other areas over Season 4, such as replacing Carter with Woolsey and and more interaction with Todd.

I also felt one reason that the show should have continued into at least a 6th season was because I often felt like the show could get better, and probably would. In fact, oddly enough there's something specifically about this season in general that feels like it's setting up for something bigger and grander later on, to me at least.

Lainier
September 27th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Season 5 has some bad episodes: Tracker, Inquisiton, Outsiders, Identity. I enjoyed Enemy at the Gate but it's full of plot holes.

But i think Vegas is one of the best episodes of all SGA!

Atlantis4Life
September 27th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Outsiders is kind of a special case for me. At first, I just thought it was okay. Then I watched it again and it was pretty great, considering. And I do have to throw in the "considering." I'm not a fan of the "medieval village" episodes simply because in my opinion they almost never turn out to be the best.

They're not be be confused with episodes that may have a settlement or something that's featured in it that isn't really the main focus of the story (think of the settlement in Sateda for example).

No, I'm talking out the real "medieval village" based episodes like The Tower, The Game, or Irresponsible to name a few. They are almost never great. Some are plain terrible, while others manage to just be okay.

So again, I think for it being another medieval village episode that Outsiders was about as good as it gets. Plus, I thought that the stuff on the ship was great. It reminded me of SGA's first few seasons which was nice.

Cheers. :)

Linda06
September 28th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Season 5 has some bad episodes: Tracker, Inquisiton, Outsiders, Identity. I enjoyed Enemy at the Gate but it's full of plot holes.

But i think Vegas is one of the best episodes of all SGA!

Yep Vegas is a love it or hate it ep after all ;) I thought it was one of the worst eps of the entire franchise *shrugs*

Kenton-Atlantis
October 18th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Seaon 5 was great and i completely agree killing Thousands of people lives to save others and to end the Wraith is not the answer. Its not the way of Humanity. To settle for some losses to gain others can never be an option. !!!

Falcon Horus
October 18th, 2010, 12:39 PM
...i completely agree killing Thousands of people lives to save others and to end the Wraith is not the answer. Its not the way of Humanity. To settle for some losses to gain others can never be an option. !!!

It may not be an option, but humanity has done just that for as long as humans have walked the Earth. ;)

Kenton-Atlantis
October 18th, 2010, 12:43 PM
So true Falcon !! I just cant believe someone could make that desision and sleep good at night making it.

thekillman
October 18th, 2010, 12:44 PM
well i loved s5 untill my brains kicked in. but stargate isn't the kind of show you should think TOO hard about.

Kenton-Atlantis
October 18th, 2010, 12:49 PM
well i loved s5 untill my brains kicked in. but stargate isn't the kind of show you should think TOO hard about.

yeah i agree sometimes i get caught thinking to deep into it lol

fumblesmcstupid
October 21st, 2010, 07:26 PM
They sure dumbed it down..huh?

I *eye rolled* at the easy saves at the end.

Kenton-Atlantis
October 22nd, 2010, 11:12 AM
Yeah for sure ... I wanted a lil more outta of it but they new it was gonnabe the last one Episode. Wow it sucks ehh thinkin about how it should stilll be around the show did much better then SGU so why not keep it going !! if they were gonna pick one to stick around it should have been Atlantis !

Linda06
October 23rd, 2010, 03:07 AM
Well after the way season 5 went SGA would have lost this viewer in S6. I know one viewer doesn't even register and I'm an international viewer so I don't count anyways but the UK would have lost one viewer from their ratings.

fumblesmcstupid
October 24th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I would be viewer #2 on the so not watching season 6 list. With the love that TPTB had with Keller and the Rodney/Keller stuff... in season 6 OMG!!! can you imagine? *shudders* I would have pulled an UMA from Kill Bill and ripped my OWN eyes out.

We really don't matter at all to TPTB on the ratings thing, but it matters to me that I stopped watching a show.

I stopped watching Charmed after they broke up Piper and Leo for the 9th time and I missed the show, but when you start getting mad at a show it's time to just change the channel.

Linda06
October 25th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I would be viewer #2 on the so not watching season 6 list. With the love that TPTB had with Keller and the Rodney/Keller stuff... in season 6 OMG!!! can you imagine? *shudders* I would have pulled an UMA from Kill Bill and ripped my OWN eyes out.

We really don't matter at all to TPTB on the ratings thing, but it matters to me that I stopped watching a show.

I stopped watching Charmed after they broke up Piper and Leo for the 9th time and I missed the show, [bbut when you start getting mad at a show it's time to just change the channel.[/b]

This is true. If you don't enjoy a show any more why keep watching. I stopped watching X-Files cause I didn't enjoy the direction it took.

fumblesmcstupid
October 25th, 2010, 08:50 AM
The only reason I kept watching SGA in the 5th season was that I was stoopid!! *shrugs shoulders* :mckay:

I thought that it'd get better,and only do things that I wanted and have stories that I wanted.;)

:D

Boy was I delusional.

Lythisrose
October 25th, 2010, 09:36 AM
The only reason I kept watching SGA in the 5th season was that I was stoopid!! *shrugs shoulders* :mckay:

I thought that it'd get better,and only do things that I wanted and have stories that I wanted.;)

Boy was I delusional.

Not that they would have done this, but if there would have been new writers and different storylines, would you have given the show another chance? I know I would have hated the continued McKeller storylines and the rumored inclusion of Daniel as a semi-regular (as much as I loved him on SG1) would have made it hard for me to watch certain episodes. But I would have welcomed a Season 6, if just to tie up loose ends. I guess I'm optimistic that there would have been at least a few episodes to love. :)

Sp!der
October 25th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I would have watched Season 6, mainly because of the rumor thing that Daniel Jackson was coming into that show, he worked so well with McKay in First Contact/The Lost Tribe

Lythisrose
October 25th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I would have watched Season 6, mainly because of the rumor thing that Daniel Jackson was coming into that show, he worked so well with McKay in First Contact/The Lost Tribe

And that is one of the things I didn't like about those eps (although First Contact was better, IMO, than Lost Tribe). I thought Daniel was too arrogant and sarcastic, I liked him better in the early seasons of SG1, and the way they teamed the two of them to diss Sheppard REALLY annoyed me. If Daniel came back once in a while I wouldn't mind, but as a semi-regular? No way Jose! The Team was already getting sidelined by the writers favorites, bring Daniel in and they could just airlock them alltogether.

MattSilver 3k
October 25th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I thought season five was just as good as the other seasons. Seriously, I don't really either see the complaints about hating it to death, though I bet there's some Keller hate to be had, not to mention the conflicting feelings on Vegas and Enemy At The Gate (And while I disliked the latter's Wormhole Drive Arse Pull, it didn't colour my opinion of the season as a whole. Vegas, however, I found to be brilliant).

Briangate78
October 25th, 2010, 10:45 AM

See, I thought Season 4 was the best, but I did love Season 5 even if the ending felt rushed. As per the critics, if you mean fans, well the internet makes up a small percentage of the total viewers. Some other forums had mostly postive opinions about S5.

Season 5 to me is the season of lost potential. There were more stories to be told like, like The Asgard, the Wraith Retro-virus, new aliens from DV, Rebel-Replicators, and etc.

Briangate78
October 25th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I thought season five was just as good as the other seasons. Seriously, I don't really either see the complaints about hating it to death, though I bet there's some Keller hate to be had, not to mention the conflicting feelings on Vegas and Enemy At The Gate (And while I disliked the latter's Wormhole Drive Arse Pull, it didn't colour my opinion of the season as a whole. Vegas, however, I found to be brilliant).

Kudos!!

Vegas was Brilliant. First half was very strong. Even though the 2nd half at the end felt rushed with EATG. I loved the mid-seasons eps with the Asgard, loved Remnants and The Prodigal. Some amazing eps that I can watch over and over again. Mckeller was such a small part of the season, it really did not effect the entire show on a grand level to me.

YoshiKart64
October 25th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Season 5 had some great episodes (The Daedalus Variations, First Contact etc) but I seriously found it significantly lacking most of the time. There's little doubt that it featured some of the worst episodes in the history of the franchise (e.g. Outsiders).

Keller added nothing to the show and her relationship with McKay threatened to ruin his character. I didn't hate the Keller character in S3/the start of S4 but they wrote literally nothing of interest for her.
Weir's exit was handled terribly; no wonder Higginson turned down the guest role, it really didn't resolve her characters arc at all. The episode itself was actually quite good but dealing with a main character like that was just awful.

I kind of came to the conclusion that with movies we might avoid all the filler dragging Atlantis down.

For reference I think the show suffered when Weir and Beckett were thrown out in favour of Carter (who never really gelled with the cast). Season 4 was uneven but I found Season 5 just plain uninspired (other than Picardo joining the cast - good move).

Briangate78
October 25th, 2010, 11:28 AM
For reference I think the show suffered when Weir and Beckett were thrown out in favour of Carter (who never really gelled with the cast). Season 4 was uneven but I found Season 5 just plain uninspired (other than Picardo joining the cast - good move).

Weir and Beckett created some great character drama in Season 4.

Falcon Horus
October 25th, 2010, 11:57 AM
In Picardo's own words, in response to Jewel saying she had some big shoes to fill with PM/CB gone:

"I replaced Carter and Weir. I had it harder, filling some high heels. But over time I think people came to realize I was just as ... beautiful."

:p

Linda06
October 25th, 2010, 11:58 AM

Boy was I delusional.

I kept watching on the hope that it would get better at some point, but instead I found it just got worse as the season went on :S If I knew at the start how it was gonna turn out I wouldn't have wasted so much of my time on it. ah hindsight. Ain't it great? ;)

Not that they would have done this, but if there would have been new writers and different storylines, would you have given the show another chance? I know I would have hated the continued McKeller storylines and the rumored inclusion of Daniel as a semi-regular (as much as I loved him on SG1) would have made it hard for me to watch certain episodes. But I would have welcomed a Season 6, if just to tie up loose ends. I guess I'm optimistic that there would have been at least a few episodes to love. :)

I would have only given SGA another chance if there was a complete overhaul. As things stood with the current guys in charge I'm afraid season 5 was the final nail in the coffin as far as watching SGA was concerned. If there was a season 6 I can honestly say I would not have tuned in. If they do make a movie I will not be watching it or buying it or any of that. I do hope there is a movie for those of you who desperately want it though. Even if Johnny Depp was in it I still wouldn't watch it.

g.o.d
October 25th, 2010, 12:26 PM
So true Falcon !! I just cant believe someone could make that desision and sleep good at night making it.

I wouldn't have any problem with that

Lythisrose
October 25th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I would have only given SGA another chance if there was a complete overhaul. As things stood with the current guys in charge I'm afraid season 5 was the final nail in the coffin as far as watching SGA was concerned. If there was a season 6 I can honestly say I would not have tuned in. If they do make a movie I will not be watching it or buying it or any of that. I do hope there is a movie for those of you who desperately want it though. Even if Johnny Depp was in it I still wouldn't watch it.

Yeah, I probably would have spent almost every episode pi**ed off, but I would have watched! Ackkkk! :P

Linda06
October 25th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I probably would have spent almost every episode pi**ed off, but I would have watched! Ackkkk! :P

Oh you are a glutton for punishment :p

chrono trigger
October 25th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Weir and Beckett created some great character drama in Season 4.

i disagree with this because the way they handled weirs exit was awful and with beckett they copped out as far as im concerned and by that i mean they initially planned to kill him off for good then backed down as soon as the fans complained. so none of that registered as great for me.

fumblesmcstupid
October 25th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I think that if they did break up Keller and Rodney and put her on the back burner and only have her show up when needed....I MIGHT have watched.

I didn't like Daniel OR Rodney in FC/TLT..Wait I think EVERYONE was OOC in those episodes.

Kenton-Atlantis
October 27th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I thought Weir and beckett's storys were great in season 4 aswell. I wanted to see Beckett back at first i was a lil dissapointed when he returned but i was crushed when he was killed. And i liked the way Weir left and came back as a Replicator i thought season 4 was great !

Briangate78
October 27th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I thought Weir and beckett's storys were great in season 4 aswell. I wanted to see Beckett back at first i was a lil dissapointed when he returned but i was crushed when he was killed. And i liked the way Weir left and came back as a Replicator i thought season 4 was great !

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeen!!!! :p

Linda06
October 27th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeen!!!! :p

I'm sorry, what? I didn't quite catch what you said there :p

Kenton-Atlantis
October 28th, 2010, 11:15 AM
haha thanks brian !!!!!!

Briangate78
October 28th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I'm sorry, what? I didn't quite catch what you said there :p

Hey Linda, you know your writing god is writing eps for Sanctuary right? He wrote last week's ep and it was a good one. :p

Linda06
October 28th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hey Linda, you know your writing god is writing eps for Sanctuary right? He wrote last week's ep and it was a good one. :p

*happy sigh* Yep I know he's writing for Sanctuary now http://www.smilescollection.com/smiles/love/sc_9378.gif

fumblesmcstupid
October 28th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Did Martin Wood write as well as direct?

jelgate
October 28th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Did Martin Wood write as well as direct?

I don't think so. I think he only directed episodes

Kenton-Atlantis
October 28th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Martin Wood wrote this episode EP 506 - Rite of Passage

From Sg-1

fumblesmcstupid
October 28th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I think Martin Wood was one of the best directors in the Sg-1 and SGA franchise.

*sits and looks at post*

WOW an actual compliment.....

*nods head*

It didn't hurt that much to do it too.

Call me the Haley's Comet of compliments.

Falcon Horus
October 29th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Martin Wood is awesome. :D

Briangate78
October 29th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I think Martin Wood was one of the best directors in the Sg-1 and SGA franchise.

*sits and looks at post*

WOW an actual compliment.....

*nods head*

It didn't hurt that much to do it too.

Call me the Haley's Comet of compliments.

Yeah, wow, hell must of froze over. :p

fumblesmcstupid
October 29th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I just did a figure 8 on my skates.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I hate Keller! *cough cough* season 5 sucked. *gasp* water. whew

Kenton-Atlantis
November 4th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Season 5 was great !!!!! dont care what anyone says ***