Niner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Niner?

I noticed that sometimes when O'neill talks on the radio, he identifies himself as Sierra Golf one niner, or SG-1 niner. Now, Sierra Golf I understand, but why niner? It's Sg-1, not SG-19...
    sigpic

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
    - R.E.M.

*Puts on active duty military hat*

It's one of the examples of Stargate getting things right. Names should not be used over a radio, so everyone in a unit has a unique radio call sign.

Sierra Gulf one identifies the unit, but to differentiate, another number is added for people with a specific position in the identified unit. In this case, "niner" is apparently the designator for the leader of the team.

IE *points to sig* my RP character Jen Stevens would be Sierra Gulf Fife Niner in radio talk.

Presumably, the other members of SG-1 should have their own last letter/number identifiers as well, though I'm pretty sure that's never been used. Completely realistic radio chatter would sound like gibberish to most of the civilian audience.
    Last edited by DragonGate; 30 March 2010, 02:14 PM. Reason: Adding "Completely"
    "Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
    " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
    Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Look for a … New Adventure

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

Got it.

Thanx
      sigpic

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
      - R.E.M.

Comment

Working...
      X