PDA

View Full Version : Now Looking for Writers and Designers!

Alex Rubit
March 30th, 2010, 09:52 AM
We are officially back on track!

And because of that, we're now actively looking for both writers and designers to join the staff for Season Five, which will start production in May (right after Season Four has wrapped). We're looking to add at least three new strong writers to the mix, and several designers, both concept artists and CG designers.

If you're interested, please send an email to [email protected] Include some of your previous experience, as well as a sample of your work. If you're a writer, the sample should be ideally be in script format (perhaps an episode of another virtual series).

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thanks!

wraith queen inga
March 30th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I'm already in as a Creative Consult, right? And if I am... I still hope my name will be added to the website or in another way it will be visible that I have helped with Season Five. I don't just want to be some faceless consult in the shadows.

Alex Rubit
March 30th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Everyone's name will be on the website and in the credits at the end of the scripts.

EvilSpaceAlien
March 30th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Damn. I would so like to have a shot at this, but I'm busy working on the short film my class is making. First day of shooting is tomorrow, and I'll be directing. :D Then there's also my work on the "bible" of the family drama show I hope to be creating and working on at some point after I've finished my education. However, I will be reading the episodes. Just you try and stop me!

Gamma626
March 30th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Hm, sounds like something I might enjoy doing. I'm going to read some of this series to get a style/tone, then I'll look at my schedual and see if I'm available for some episodes.

When is the cut off date to apply?

wraith queen inga
March 30th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Hm, sounds like something I might enjoy doing. I'm going to read some of this series to get a style/tone, then I'll look at my schedual and see if I'm available for some episodes.

You do know Horizon is written in script form, right?

Gamma626
March 30th, 2010, 01:13 PM
You do know Horizon is written in script form, right?

Yep. I've written several scripts, and was considering doing SG: Ult in script form, but I felt prose worked better for it.

Alex Rubit
March 30th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Damn. I would so like to have a shot at this, but I'm busy working on the short film my class is making. First day of shooting is tomorrow, and I'll be directing. :D Then there's also my work on the "bible" of the family drama show I hope to be creating and working on at some point after I've finished my education. However, I will be reading the episodes. Just you try and stop me!

That's great. Congratulations on the short film! :)

If your schedule does free up at some point and you'd still like to, let me know. That one thing I can say is that working on this series is a great learning experience for anyone who plans to eventually work in television and film (which includes me), since the writing process is exactly the same as it is on any series. It certainly has been and continues to be a great learning experience for me.

Alex Rubit
March 30th, 2010, 09:10 PM

There's no cut off date. Basically it'll just be however long it takes for us to be fully staffed.

wraith queen inga
March 30th, 2010, 11:49 PM

If your schedule does free up at some point and you'd still like to, let me know. That one thing I can say is that working on this series is a great learning experience for anyone who plans to eventually work in television and film (which includes me), since the writing process is exactly the same as it is on any series. It certainly has been and continues to be a great learning experience for me.

I too want to work with film and television-series eventually. :)

EvilSpaceAlien
March 31st, 2010, 01:30 PM

Thanks.:) I had a lot of fun directing today, although we weren't able to do as much as I'd like to have done by the end of the day. Things are getting a little stressful as we need to be done filming the thing by the middle of May, so we'll have time to do post-production work before the screening in June. :S And we only have a limited number of days when we can film because two of my teachers are currently filming a feature film in a town nearby.

Tell you what. I'll get back to you in a month or two, because I suspect that things will have calmed down by then. If I'm not able to write for season 5, there's always season 6. You were going to do a sixth and final season, right? I already have some ideas for episodes, but first I need to catch up on a lot of Horizon episodes that I haven't read yet.

I can certainly see why something such as Horizon would be a very good learning experience, and working on a virtual series is something which is very appealing to me. One of the things that I find most appealing is that the only limit is my imagination. If I want to have a huge space battle, I can write in a huge space battle, while when I work on the short film I have to keep in mind that the budget is virtually non-existent.

Amann
March 31st, 2010, 05:28 PM
I am interested in this. I think it has alot of potential to become a new show if MGM ever gets around to producing it. :P I would love to contribute my writing toward it.

Alex Rubit
April 1st, 2010, 12:22 PM
Tell you what. I'll get back to you in a month or two, because I suspect that things will have calmed down by then. If I'm not able to write for season 5, there's always season 6. You were going to do a sixth and final season, right?

Sounds good. And yes, the plan is to do a sixth and final season, but the number of episodes will be less. The reason is that the idea is to wrap up all of the writing on the series in pretty much exactly a year from now.

Alex Rubit
April 1st, 2010, 12:23 PM
I am interested in this. I think it has alot of potential to become a new show if MGM ever gets around to producing it. :P I would love to contribute my writing toward it.

Sounds great. Be sure to send an email with a writing sample to the address above. Thanks!

Aragon101
April 1st, 2010, 01:15 PM
Typically i do prose, but i'm intrigued, are you looking for a writer for full episodes or creative consultation or characterization?

What about actual storylines? are those already done or do they need to be worked out as well?

Alex Rubit
April 1st, 2010, 02:41 PM
Typically i do prose, but i'm intrigued, are you looking for a writer for full episodes or creative consultation or characterization?

We're looking for some more writers to write full episodes.

What about actual storylines? are those already done or do they need to be worked out as well?

There's always room for new ideas. But moreso than in past seasons, there is a general storyline/mythology that is already planned and leading up to the ending of the series.

Alex Rubit
April 26th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I want to remind everyone of this thread. We're especially trying to find some designers. If there's anyone out there who can do concept drawings or even CG designs and you like Stargate, then you might want to consider replying.

It would add a lot to the experience to have some pictures to go with the episodes, but we can only do that if we find some artists. :)

Alx
May 5th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I want to remind everyone of this thread. We're especially trying to find some designers. If there's anyone out there who can do concept drawings or even CG designs and you like Stargate, then you might want to consider replying.
It would add a lot to the experience to have some pictures to go with the episodes, but we can only do that if we find some artists. :)

considered and done...

also i am somewhat intrigued to what sort of CG you are intrested in?
and i thought Nhall was your lead CG artist?

you can see some of my work here (it's basicly my portfolio.)
http://alxshipyards.deviantart.com/

Alex Rubit
May 6th, 2010, 09:34 AM
considered and done...

also i am somewhat intrigued to what sort of CG you are intrested in?
and i thought Nhall was your lead CG artist?

you can see some of my work here (it's basicly my portfolio.)
http://alxshipyards.deviantart.com/

Thanks for the link, it looks great!

Nhall is still also onboard, but he's not available really on a regular basis. We're trying to find someone who could be around a little bit more and create designs for some of the episodes.

Vexacus
May 20th, 2010, 04:15 AM
My name is Jay Wilson and I was a writer on the old boards, can i re-join?

Elite Anubis Guard
May 20th, 2010, 07:40 AM
You wrote Collision, if I remember rightly? That was fantastic!

How are you with writers, Alex?

Alex Rubit
May 20th, 2010, 09:07 AM
My name is Jay Wilson and I was a writer on the old boards, can i re-join?

Great to hear from you!

Of course you can rejoin, I think it would be great to have you back! We're still using the same writers' forum that we had when you were onboard. Let me know if you have trouble logging in.

Alex Rubit
May 20th, 2010, 09:09 AM
How are you with writers, Alex?

Still looking for more writers. It's just Colin and myself right now. But I'm also going to see if we can get some previous writers to return for Season Five, which would be great.

Elite Anubis Guard
May 20th, 2010, 10:36 AM
You wrote Collision, if I remember rightly? That was fantastic!

My apologies, it was In Purgatory's Shadow which was awesome too!

Alex Rubit
May 20th, 2010, 11:03 AM
My apologies, it was In Purgatory's Shadow which was awesome too!

That was Joe Hodkiss.

Jay did two episodes in Season Four; "Prophet's Rising" and "Sins Past".

Elite Anubis Guard
May 20th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Good lord, I'm just gotta shut up.

Alex Rubit
May 28th, 2010, 10:21 AM
We have pretty much exactly a year now until the series will wrap. More on that later, and also look for an announcement soon about how exactly the remainder of the series will be broken down into two shorter seasons which will be released between October and June of 2011 when the series finale will air.

So -- if you've always wanted to write an episode for the show, this might be one of your last opportunities. So let us know asap. Once we get to a certain number of writers, we'll be no longer accepting further applications. So now is your chance. :)

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
June 3rd, 2010, 11:18 AM
How short are we talking here? Like 12 - 13 episodes per season or what?

Alex Rubit
June 3rd, 2010, 11:34 AM
How short are we talking here? Like 12 - 13 episodes per season or what?

Actually... that's not really up to date anymore either. ;)

It's looking more like we'll actually be able to tell the same story over the course of one season, which means Season Five will be the final season of the show. But it will be a regular length season and back on a regular schedule. There'll be an official announcement on the site about this pretty soon.

Aragon101
June 3rd, 2010, 11:41 AM
Actually... that's not really up to date anymore either. ;)

It's looking more like we'll actually be able to tell the same story over the course of one season, which means Season Five will be the final season of the show. But it will be a regular length season and back on a regular schedule. There'll be an official announcement on the site about this pretty soon.

I'd be willing to write one, but i know next to nothing about the series itself. Never was a fan of reading scripts. I'd be willing to give it a try though i'd need a storyboard and a beta who knows the story and characters better than I.

Elite Anubis Guard
June 3rd, 2010, 11:43 AM
You want a storyboard...to write the script from? Usually the opposite way round :P

Aragon101
June 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
You want a storyboard...to write the script from? Usually the opposite way round :P

Shrug, which is why it's amusing :P In the end i have no experience writing scripts so i doubt it'll come to fruition.

Elite Anubis Guard
June 3rd, 2010, 11:57 AM
Do you write prose? Best way to learn script writing is to read plenty of scripts.

Aragon101
June 3rd, 2010, 12:10 PM
Do you write prose? Best way to learn script writing is to read plenty of scripts.

Yeah i write prose, i've got my own series (http://sg-darkfrontier.wikia.com/wiki/Stargate:_Dark_Frontier_Wiki) going as well as individual fanfics. (http://www.fanfiction.net/~loneranger1)

Hmm... well i've read scripts and know the basics just from looking at it, but i'd seriously need to know the characters in order to do them any justice.

Alex Rubit
June 3rd, 2010, 12:26 PM
Yeah i write prose, i've got my own series (http://sg-darkfrontier.wikia.com/wiki/Stargate:_Dark_Frontier_Wiki) going as well as individual fanfics. (http://www.fanfiction.net/~loneranger1)

Hmm... well i've read scripts and know the basics just from looking at it, but i'd seriously need to know the characters in order to do them any justice.

You would definitely have to be familiar with the characters in order to write for them. But that's something you can pick up on from reading some of the episodes, just like if you'd watch a show on TV.

Crias
May 19th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Hi guys, I’m a 3d animator and I like to think I’m an alright writer (wrote a 50 pg screenplay and choreographed epic sword fight and vis FX scenes but with limited funds it fell on its face lol). I’m looking for something to do part time as a hobby and I would love to animate some of the Stargate Horizon novels. Do you guys have a team for this or someone working on animating your show? If so please let me know by PM or what have you. Please note that I am not a 3d Modeller im an animator (there is a difference.)

Pharaoh Atem
May 24th, 2011, 09:25 PM
few years to late :P

Elite Anubis Guard
May 25th, 2011, 04:38 AM
I'd try PMing or emailing Alex. I'm sure he'd love the help if he's still working on SGH.

Wineblood
December 22nd, 2011, 10:19 AM
Still looking for writers?

Alex Rubit
December 29th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Hey Vincent,

Definitely, we're still looking for writers. We can use all the help we can get here. :)

Do you still have the url to the writers' message boards? If not, let me know so that I can send it to you.

Wineblood
December 29th, 2011, 10:43 PM
New computer and everything, so I don't have any of the relevant links any more. Is it still the one that was used before? If so I'll just have to get my password back and it will be simple.

Schrodinger's Cat
February 17th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Still looking for help with writing? While I have no experience with script form, I would be glad to help out any way I can.

EDIT: I just realized that, as I am in the process of moving, I can't give you anything on a reliable schedule. However, I would be happy to give occasional help on a sporadic basis.

ZRFTS
February 17th, 2012, 11:01 PM
This bump has me interested; while I don't remember much Stargate, I have been writing scripts for quite some time and if there's anything I can do to help on the writing end, I'm in.

zbuffin
March 19th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I am not a "script" writer really but I am a writer so I can help there. More importantly I have several years of military experience (Air Force Special Operations Command) both deployed and home station. I could serve as a military adviser, technical adviser or whatever else. I am also a pretty good editor so if you want to run things by me I would be happy to grind out the tedious stuff to make a shinny script.

WraithRichard
January 4th, 2019, 10:13 AM
I'm awriter. My specialties are biology and history.