X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which CGI scene gave you...

a Wow! moment.
    In other words which special effect scene in SGA did you feel was really good and so different that you said, Wow, that was great or Wow, how did they do that?

There were two CGI effects that I thought were really exceptional and were wow moments for me:

Atlantis rising from the ocean in "Rising": I thought that scene was well done. It al,most made the city seem majestic the way it rose out of the water.

and

From "Adrift" - the scene where Radek and Sheppard put on the space suits to go outside to repair a part of Atlantis. When they open the airlock they see that much of the tower/walkway has been ripped away and there nothing left but a large chasm. They jump across it while the camera does a 360* scan of them and the chasm. I remember seeing that and just being very impressed -I believe it was nominated for an award, can't remember if it won or not.

Rising, and EATG The Siege (all of it).
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

The Rising of Atlantis and the effects in The Siege Parts I-III have had a lasting effect on me. Later on, especially in Seasons 4 and 5 IMO it became more noticeable what was CGI and what was not. Of course that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the last two seasons!

Comment

Atlantis' shield, when it starts, when it absorbs blasts... thinking about how strong it is with 3 ZPMs powering it... to hold the ocean at bay for tens of thousands of years. Beautiful. And seeing Atlantis with the stardrive active, a bubble of air flying through space...
        Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Originally posted by EdenSG View Post
          Atlantis rising from the ocean in "Rising": I thought that scene was well done. It al,most made the city seem majestic the way it rose out of the water.
          I was thinking the exact same word when I thought of the city rising 'majestic'

Comment

The Siege pt 3: The hives blowing up; the Daedalus in hyperspace; the hives firing on Atlantis' shield [beautiful!].
            Progeny: The sweeping view of the Asuran world; the cityship taking off, in orbit and in hyperspace [drool]; Wier's vision of the 'destruction' of the Asurans.
            No Man's Land: Watching the Hippaforalkus drones destroy the hive. Orgasmic!
            First Strike: The beam weapon; the beam vs. Atlantis' shields; Weir getting hit .
            The Last Man: Hammond/Phoenix vs the hives. Asgard plasma beams. Mmm. Sweet.
            Last edited by nx01a; 30 March 2010, 01:08 AM.
            sigpic
            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Rising came close, but I have to say that none of the CGI scenes in SGA really gave me the shivers.... SG1 big time when anubis's fleet engaged the 302's above the ice.... literally had goosebumps for about 6 months after that
              I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

The Siege pt 3 darts heading towards the city while rodney was hooking up the ZPM
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Rising when all the towers pierce the water and are thrust upwards into the air.
                  Inferno when we first see an ancient warship.
                  And the other ship which we're unfamiliar with in The Daedalus Variations was kinda cool.
                  Das guy eating vegetabbles, says 'Waock!' and nice guy obliteratio for sudden.

I always hated that saying...

Comment

I thought Rising was amazing and also some scenes from The Siege were great. I have to say though I very much enjoyed whenever we got some panoramic shots of the city, I thought all those were great.

I did notice a significant decrease in the quality of special effects in seasons 4 & 5 though.
                    sigpic

Comment

the Pegasus Asgard ship opening a hyperspace window above the water and just flying thro the
                      Atlantis sheilds

When the humans, the travellers and the wraith all joined together to defeat the Asurans, when we came out of hyperspace and saw all the ships

when the Daedalus dropped out of hyperspace right into a ambush with the supposedly friendly and enemy hives
                      sigpic

Comment

Rising was a goosebump moment. Visually, I also really liked the reverse zoom thing in Search & Rescue. And it was pretty darn cool when Fran did her thing in BAMSR.
                        sigpic

Comment

The city rising out of the water was done brilliantly, but the thing that really surprised and impressed me was the shot where Michaels cruiser was hit just as it was to go into hyperspace and the window sort of splashed/shattered, that looked great.

Comment

I liked that nuke in First Strike.

And another wow moment, was in the Last Man when the building exploded and collapsed. I was like wow that was soooo bad.

Comment

Some great cgi [Hammond/Phoenix vs hives] and some horrid cgi [building vs team] in that episode.
                              sigpic
                              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                              X