PDA

View Full Version : Do they have FTL capabilities?

Alan Wake
March 27th, 2010, 09:52 PM
At this point in the show? time period-wise anyways?

I was just wondering. My general curiosity.

Anyone really familiar with the shows background that would know?

Osiristi
March 28th, 2010, 03:09 AM
According to Serge Graystone's twitter (http://twitter.com/SergeGraystone) they do but mainly for military. Dunno how canon the twitter is, though.

hamatau'ri
March 28th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Well im guessing that like Osiristi said it would just be for military purposes or insanely expensive; I recall in Rebirth (the episode after the Pilot) that Daniel Graystone says he will "miss the jump"...also if this is only years before the Galactica was built i'm guessing there must have been some FTL-tech pre-existent beforehand...

SP90
March 28th, 2010, 07:49 AM
They most certainly should have it. Without FTL how is trade conducted among the 12 colonies? Also if this is suppose to be 50 years before BSG then wouldn't the Galactica be nearly finished already?

guppy338
March 28th, 2010, 10:02 AM
they did have FTL it was only 5 or 6 years before the first cilon war im not as up to speed as you but did they find the colaneys uesing FTL or sublight

DigiFluid
March 28th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I don't think we really have enough information at the moment to suppose one way or another.

We can fairly safely assume, from the sub-light journey of the 13th tribe to Earth, that the other 12 tribes did not have FTL on their journey from Kobol to the new worlds. We can also guess, from various lines in the BSG miniseries, that FTL was not in common use by the the time of the Fall.

Really, I think that's about it tbh. I don't know that there's enough information there to draw conclusions about 60 years prior to the Fall.

Replicator Todd
March 28th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I think they probably do, but since the show takes place on Caprica it doesn't really matter to me. But I don't see how they could not have FTL yet.

Specter177
March 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I'm sure they do, but like Osiristi said, it's for the military. Civilian ships probably have a fast sublight that will get them around the solar system in a reasonable amount of time.

Archaeis
March 29th, 2010, 09:55 AM
It baffles me that they wouldn't be using that kind of technology to explore space at the height if their civilization. They don't even know where their homeworld is.

Alan Wake
March 29th, 2010, 10:01 AM
It baffles me that they wouldn't be using that kind of technology to explore space at the height if their civilization. They don't even know where their homeworld is.

At this point, isn't Kobol a myth? Lost and forgotten through time... so everyone now think's that where they are now, is where they originated from?

DigiFluid
March 29th, 2010, 10:33 AM
How many expeditions to Eden have you heard of recently?

Alan Wake
March 29th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I would actually like to see Galatica being built during this time period. maybe just a pass by appearance or reference... but actually getting a look at her in her prime would be better. maybe then we can see the engine room in more detail.

Ukko
March 29th, 2010, 04:19 PM
How many expeditions to Eden have you heard of recently?

aarlin81
March 29th, 2010, 06:35 PM
At this point, isn't Kobol a myth? Lost and forgotten through time... so everyone now think's that where they are now, is where they originated from?

No Earth is a myth as well as the 13th tribe (and the fact they were artificial life forms). Those who settled and colonized the 12 worlds worlds are known as the Twelve Tribes of Kobol. While Kobol is a real place, it's location and true history is revealed only in scripture.

I would actually like to see Galatica being built during this time period. maybe just a pass by appearance or reference... but actually getting a look at her in her prime would be better. maybe then we can see the engine room in more detail.

According to the Battlestar Wiki the Galactica battlecruiser is built in the early days of the First Cylon War. Unless Caprica goes into the events of the FCW and the unification of the colonies, I doubt we'll see the Galactica. Perhaps in another spin off.

Archaeis
March 30th, 2010, 08:22 AM
I can't see FTL technology coming as a result of research during the cylon war. It doesn't provide much tactical or manueverable advantage in a single-system war.

aarlin81
April 1st, 2010, 02:56 AM
I can't see FTL technology coming as a result of research during the cylon war. It doesn't provide much tactical or manueverable advantage in a single-system war.

There has already been dialogue in "Caprica" to suggest that they already have FTL capabilities. Also keep in mind that the "single-system" is comprised of 3 stars and 12 worlds. It's not just a piddly small solar system.

Republibot 3.0
April 4th, 2010, 06:18 AM

Kinda' like how when we were at the height of our civilization ten years ago, and yet we haven't sent a man to the moon in 37 years? Or how we'll be abandoning manned space flight next year, and the US will be incapable of putting people up there for at least a decade? I don't have any problem believing they aren't exploring space. Humans are, on the whole, incredibly short-sighted, and generally can't see the use of something until after it's too late.

Republibot 3.0
April 4th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Yeah, they do. The Plan specifically states that the Colonies are three solar systems with four habitable planets each. It's clear that Caprica isn't a close binary or trinary system - you'd be able to see the other two stars pretty clearly - so the stars are fairly far apart, which means they must have FTL.

Also, remember that Zoe, Clarise, et al, were heading to Gemenon, which may or may not be in the same system with Caprica.

Interestingly, in the original Galactica, they made it very clear that the Colonies were in a close binary, with six planets orbiting the inner star, and the "Outer Colonies" orbiting the other one. It was named "The Cyranus System." There's also a cut bit of dialog from the original series that explains why they didn't know where Kobol was.

aarlin81
April 4th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I think people are just really hung up on thinking that the star cluster is just like some solar system. Kinda like our expect with 12 planets instead of 8 (sorry Pluto but you got demoted). The star system is made up of 3 (the fourth is an "outlier") with a number of planets orbiting each one. There may very well be one or more planets with a clear view of a second sun.

Also, remember that Zoe, Clarise, et al, were heading to Gemenon, which may or may not be in the same system with Caprica.

The two planets share an orbit. It's sometimes called Caprica's twin. This is fitting as the Ancient name for Gemenon is Gemini (Latin for twin). This does not, however, refer to their appearance.

Archaeis
April 4th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Yeah, they do. The Plan specifically states that the Colonies are three solar systems with four habitable planets each. It's clear that Caprica isn't a close binary or trinary system - you'd be able to see the other two stars pretty clearly - so the stars are fairly far apart, which means they must have FTL.

I assume you mean the hybrids line "12 battles, 3 stars, . . ." I thought that was clearly referring to the 3 star systems these wars have taken place in (kobol, earth, and the first cylon war in the colonies). Nearly everything else in her speech refers to the clycle of repeating wars.

Ed
April 12th, 2010, 06:48 AM
its a trinary system 3 stars is still correct

knowles2
May 29th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I don't think we really have enough information at the moment to suppose one way or another.

We can fairly safely assume, from the sub-light journey of the 13th tribe to Earth, that the other 12 tribes did not have FTL on their journey from Kobol to the new worlds. We can also guess, from various lines in the BSG miniseries, that FTL was not in common use by the the time of the Fall.

Really, I think that's about it tbh. I don't know that there's enough information there to draw conclusions about 60 years prior to the Fall.

To be honest I thought they did not use FTL because the colonies were a largely stagnate race that have stop evolving or exploring the universe or developing new technology. At the time of the fall they were coming out of this stagnate .

kymeric
May 30th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Then again nearly 100% of earthlings dont know we are in a binary solar system XD