This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr Weir being played by some different than in SG-1 7 finale

Does anyone know why the changed actresses for Dr Weir?

Have no idea. I've checked some fan sites and what not and unable to find the reason behind the recasting. Saw some mention of the TPTB wanted an older or younger looking Weir but nothing official.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I could not find anything either. At first i thought she just died her hair, but then sawe it was someone totally different. Thanks for the reply since that was my first post.

Comment

I think it was due to Jessica Steen not wanting to carry on playing the same character in a spin-off which is practically foreshadowed in becoming a hit which will last at least a couple of seasons. I mean they hadn't even decided on the characters yet fully while the season 7 finale was even filmed. And if they had been I doubt Jessica Steen did know otherwise she wouldn't even of done it. *shrugs* Well that's what I think anyway...

Comment

here's something... she probably got canned and they kept it quiet.

As Gateworld.com reported on November 21, the actress who portrayed Dr. Weir in “Stargate: SG-1,” Jessica Steen, will not appear on the series. While erring in saying that “reasons for the producers' decision not to include her character in Atlantis are unknown,” the character will indeed be on the series – albeit with a different actress – according to casting documents obtained by FilmJerk.com.

Comment

Its ok with me. Jessica Steen (and not saying she is a bad actor or anything) did a horrible job playing this roll (IMO). I just got that "Dumb Blonde" Sense with her in the roll - I cant explain it, but that feeling is just there.
            You can not even begin to comprehend the extent of what was unfolding in O'Neill's mind
            our scientists long ago extracted parts of the ancient library of knowledge and learned much from it
            but we have been studying it for as long as I can remember and we have barely scrathed the surfice

Comment

The folks over on the official Jessica Steen fansite seemed absolutely stunned at the recasting and I find it impossible to believe that Jessica simply "didn't know" that her character might be spun off. I mean, come on, she isn't REALLY a "dumb blonde" and I'm pretty sure that Dr. Weir was introduced in SG-1 for the specific purpose of being spun off to Atlantis.

Beyond that, I'm not going to make any speculations as to the reason why. I'm very disappointed and I personally find it a very disquieting sign, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                I mean, come on, she isn't REALLY a "dumb blonde"
                I never said she was - I said I thought she played one. There were 5000 other people that could of done that role better then her. I can already see from the Atlantis perviews that Torri Higginson is going to portray the role better.
                You can not even begin to comprehend the extent of what was unfolding in O'Neill's mind
                our scientists long ago extracted parts of the ancient library of knowledge and learned much from it
                but we have been studying it for as long as I can remember and we have barely scrathed the surfice

Comment

Originally posted by Kill_Baal vo.1
                  I never said she was - I said I thought she played one. There were 5000 other people that could of done that role better then her. I can already see from the Atlantis perviews that Torri Higginson is going to portray the role better.
                  I realize you didn't say that. My point is that she isn't stupid enough to accept a role that she KNOWS is going to be spun off if she dosn't want to be part of the spinoff. It was implied that she might not have known that.

As for Tori Higginson, it's your opinion that she'll be better than Jessica Steen, it isn't a fact and for me, I'll wait and reserve judgement until I actually see for myself, rather than judging based on a couple of screencaps.

Of course, I'm perfectly happy to judge the uniforms based on the promo pics, but that's different.

Comment

It could be that Steen was cast for the role when "The Lost City" was planned as a movie and had a contract for just that..
                    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
                      It could be that Steen was cast for the role when "The Lost City" was planned as a movie and had a contract for just that..
                      But the character was still, as far as I know, intended for the spinoff.

Comment

True. Just some speculation on my part.
                        The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Well, I was a bit warry of Torri first (Those promo photos make her look like a skeleton ), but she seems great in the ads for Atlantis....

Comment

I really liked Jessica Steen as Dr Weir in SG1 S7,but I'm looking forward to SG Atlantis,regardless!

I intend to give Torri Higginson a fair viewing on her own merit,and see what she does with the role,as any dropping of JS wasn't up to her, but rather a decision made by the Atlantis PTB.

No idea why these changes,but I suppose they had their reasons.We'll probably never really find out exactly why,though!
                            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Jessica was cast in "Lost City" with the understanding that the producers were planning to spin off the character into Atlantis. She had an extended contract up until a few weeks before Atlantis started filming, so that she didn't get scooped up by another job.

Ultimately, the producers decided to keep the character but recast the role. Jessica's contract expired, and hopefully she's off getting lots of great work. It's the entertainment biz, and I don't get the impression there were any hurt feelings. It's just how things work.

Having met Torri and become somewhat infatuated with her (in a very Amanda Tapping sort of way), I think she's going to be a terrific Dr. Weir!
                              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Working...
                              X