PDA

View Full Version : Dr Weir being played by some different than in SG-1 7 finale

ONeill_38
May 14th, 2004, 03:59 AM
Does anyone know why the changed actresses for Dr Weir?

LateFan
May 14th, 2004, 05:15 AM
Have no idea. I've checked some fan sites and what not and unable to find the reason behind the recasting. Saw some mention of the TPTB wanted an older or younger looking Weir but nothing official.

ONeill_38
May 14th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Ok, thanks. I could not find anything either. At first i thought she just died her hair, but then sawe it was someone totally different. Thanks for the reply since that was my first post.

:)

jex_piperUK
May 14th, 2004, 07:45 AM
I think it was due to Jessica Steen not wanting to carry on playing the same character in a spin-off which is practically foreshadowed in becoming a hit which will last at least a couple of seasons. I mean they hadn't even decided on the characters yet fully while the season 7 finale was even filmed. And if they had been I doubt Jessica Steen did know otherwise she wouldn't even of done it. *shrugs* Well that's what I think anyway...

ONeill_38
May 14th, 2004, 08:21 AM
here's something... she probably got canned and they kept it quiet.

As Gateworld.com reported on November 21, the actress who portrayed Dr. Weir in “Stargate: SG-1,” Jessica Steen, will not appear on the series. While erring in saying that “reasons for the producers' decision not to include her character in Atlantis are unknown,” the character will indeed be on the series – albeit with a different actress – according to casting documents obtained by FilmJerk.com.

Kill_Baal vo.1
May 17th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Its ok with me. Jessica Steen (and not saying she is a bad actor or anything) did a horrible job playing this roll (IMO). I just got that "Dumb Blonde" Sense with her in the roll - I cant explain it, but that feeling is just there.

ShadowMaat
May 17th, 2004, 04:32 AM
The folks over on the official Jessica Steen fansite seemed absolutely stunned at the recasting and I find it impossible to believe that Jessica simply "didn't know" that her character might be spun off. I mean, come on, she isn't REALLY a "dumb blonde" and I'm pretty sure that Dr. Weir was introduced in SG-1 for the specific purpose of being spun off to Atlantis.

Beyond that, I'm not going to make any speculations as to the reason why. I'm very disappointed and I personally find it a very disquieting sign, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Kill_Baal vo.1
May 17th, 2004, 05:17 AM
I mean, come on, she isn't REALLY a "dumb blonde"

I never said she was - I said I thought she played one. There were 5000 other people that could of done that role better then her. I can already see from the Atlantis perviews that Torri Higginson is going to portray the role better.

ShadowMaat
May 17th, 2004, 05:51 AM
I never said she was - I said I thought she played one. There were 5000 other people that could of done that role better then her. I can already see from the Atlantis perviews that Torri Higginson is going to portray the role better.

I realize you didn't say that. My point is that she isn't stupid enough to accept a role that she KNOWS is going to be spun off if she dosn't want to be part of the spinoff. It was implied that she might not have known that.

As for Tori Higginson, it's your opinion that she'll be better than Jessica Steen, it isn't a fact and for me, I'll wait and reserve judgement until I actually see for myself, rather than judging based on a couple of screencaps.

Of course, I'm perfectly happy to judge the uniforms based on the promo pics, but that's different. ;)

KorbenDirewolf
May 17th, 2004, 11:41 AM
It could be that Steen was cast for the role when "The Lost City" was planned as a movie and had a contract for just that..

ShadowMaat
May 17th, 2004, 12:10 PM
It could be that Steen was cast for the role when "The Lost City" was planned as a movie and had a contract for just that..

But the character was still, as far as I know, intended for the spinoff.

KorbenDirewolf
May 17th, 2004, 12:19 PM
True. Just some speculation on my part.

Teal'c
May 17th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Well, I was a bit warry of Torri first (Those promo photos make her look like a skeleton :P), but she seems great in the ads for Atlantis....

Bagpuss
May 17th, 2004, 06:58 PM
I really liked Jessica Steen as Dr Weir in SG1 S7,but I'm looking forward to SG Atlantis,regardless!

I intend to give Torri Higginson a fair viewing on her own merit,and see what she does with the role,as any dropping of JS wasn't up to her, but rather a decision made by the Atlantis PTB.

No idea why these changes,but I suppose they had their reasons.We'll probably never really find out exactly why,though!

Darren
May 18th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Jessica was cast in "Lost City" with the understanding that the producers were planning to spin off the character into Atlantis. She had an extended contract up until a few weeks before Atlantis started filming, so that she didn't get scooped up by another job.

Ultimately, the producers decided to keep the character but recast the role. Jessica's contract expired, and hopefully she's off getting lots of great work. :) It's the entertainment biz, and I don't get the impression there were any hurt feelings. It's just how things work.

Having met Torri and become somewhat infatuated with her (in a very Amanda Tapping sort of way), I think she's going to be a terrific Dr. Weir!

Teal'c
May 18th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Jessica was cast in "Lost City" with the understanding that the producers were planning to spin off the character into Atlantis. She had an extended contract up until a few weeks before Atlantis started filming, so that she didn't get scooped up by another job.

Ultimately, the producers decided to keep the character but recast the role. Jessica's contract expired, and hopefully she's off getting lots of great work. :) It's the entertainment biz, and I don't get the impression there were any hurt feelings. It's just how things work.

Having met Torri and become somewhat infatuated with her (in a very Amanda Tapping sort of way), I think she's going to be a terrific Dr. Weir!
You've got a thing for older women, eh? (Meh, what am I saying, I think she's hot! :P)

Bagpuss
May 18th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Offer her a cool drink then,Teal'c!
That should cool her down a treat... ;)

Hatusu
May 21st, 2004, 09:44 PM

I was told that they never told Jessica Steen the reason behind their decision. I found her to be professional and nice. I did think she looked too young for all the character's accomplishments. But then Torri looks very young, too. I personally think Steen refused to wear those 5 inch heels they gave her, ever again! Maybe it's a simple as getting the right mix,... you know cast chemistry.

USS Thunderchild
May 21st, 2004, 09:53 PM
I loved Steen in Earth 2, way back in the day. I really hate it when they go and switch actors up on you in the middle of a show...like they always do with main characters kids.

The problem with Steen is that she doesn't really have that command aura like Mulgrew did in VOY. As much as it hurts to say it, I don't think she would have been good for the part, in terms of launching a series.

Phil

Hatusu
May 21st, 2004, 10:02 PM
Yes, that's true. She was very good as a physician. She was also very good at playing a Guantanamo Bay investigator on that spin-off of "Jag". I think the show is called "Navy CIS"

Hi George! (He told me to watch it & I know he visits here.)

cifrancgx
May 23rd, 2004, 09:54 PM
As I have said before in these forums... The fact is that Jessica Steen signed up for the role of Dr. Weir knowing that it might lead to her working in the spinoff series. So she was more than ready to do Atlantis, but they decided not to go with her for whatever reason (she wasn't told). Jessica told me she played the character the way she did because she didn't want to have to go through a series playing some ultra serious character (like she did on Earth 2 and other dramas). I think she wanted Weir to be a little quirky. They apparently let her create the character the way she wanted to. If they had a problem with what she was doing they could have asked her to change it I am sure.

In any case it doesn't matter any more and Jessica has moved on. She just got done shooting a movie in Vancouver with Wesley Snipes called "Chaos" and she will be on NAVY NCIS (for the 3rd time) this Tuesday May 25th.

George C.

The Jessica Steen Page
http://www.jessicasteen.com/

jex_piperUK
May 24th, 2004, 03:56 AM
*sniff* *******s...Jessica is a waay better actress than the person they've got now to play Weir...

Darren
May 24th, 2004, 08:22 AM
I'd suggest you wait and see Torri as Dr. Weir before making a judgment like that. Only seven weeks to go!

Teal'c
May 24th, 2004, 02:51 PM
*sniff* *******s...Jessica is a waay better actress than the person they've got now to play Weir...
That's an extremly unfair comment. In fact, I think Corin Nemec is better than Michael Shanks (see how you like it now! :P)

jex_piperUK
May 25th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Well of course, that is my opinion and that is yours :p

Jeff O'Connor
May 26th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Personally I actually thought the actress from the Season 7 finale did an incredible job and am disappointed that she won't be back to continue the role during the show, but at least I know that Torri Higginson is great too.

jex_piperUK
May 28th, 2004, 05:05 AM
Even though I'm a bit iffy with this whole actress change...I was looking at a picture of Torri the other day and except for the hair, I really do think TPTB have really picked a good look-a-like. That's the only think I like about the whole thing. Sometimes they pick someone who looks totally different to the orginal person who played that character. Take Michale Gambon who will be playing Dumbledore in the Prisoner of Azkaban, he looks totally different to the other guy who played him in the previous two films.

petzke_42
May 28th, 2004, 10:58 AM
As Dumbledore, I think they look almost exactly alike. Voice is different, but what can you do?

jex_piperUK
May 29th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Well what happened in Harry Potter was unfortunate...but I still don't see why TPTB wanted to change the actress for, when they didn't need to, Jessica was doing a wicked job...how stupid they can be sometimes. :rolleyes:

Elwe Singollo
May 31st, 2004, 09:34 AM
All this discussion about the evil PTB and blah, i just skipped many of the discussion, reason, and etc. So does anyone really know why they replaced her? Or did she simply not want the role anymore?

Anubis
May 31st, 2004, 09:40 AM
As stated in a earlier post, she was ready to start filming for Atlantis when MGM decided they didn't want her

I think it's stupid really. The woman they have now looks nothing remotley like her

Ugly Pig
May 31st, 2004, 09:55 AM
I enjoyed her performance in Lost City. However, a friend of mine (who knew nothing of any behind-the-scenes stuff or that the character would appear in Atlantis) felt she was a "dumb blonde".

So maybe there is something to that... Maybe she does come across as a dumb blonde to some people, for some odd reason.

jex_piperUK
June 1st, 2004, 07:04 AM
Well I suppose Jessica could of dyed her hair, if TPTB had asked her.

Anubis
June 1st, 2004, 07:10 AM
Dumb blonde? I wouldn't have thought that that would be the reason. If it was she could have dyed her hair. Besides, look at Carter, she's a blonde

TheScorpionsSting
June 1st, 2004, 10:13 AM
I enjoyed Jessica Steen as Dr.Weir and thought she did a fabulous job. Her acting threw a little dose of reality back into the show and you got a feeling of what the SGC is like from the outside. I didn't know her character was to be included in Atlantis but it's sad to see she will not be the one playing that role. To be honest though, I can't really see her going off world or into battle or anything, only playing a "General hammond" role where she stays in the command center all day.

As for "dumb blonde" how would you feel if you just found out about the SGC let alone put in charge of it?

Ugly Pig
June 1st, 2004, 11:35 AM
I think it's the "dumb" part that would be the problem, not the actual hair color...

Note that I don't think she comes across as dumb. Some people do. But personally, I doubt very much that this is the reason for her being replaced.

Teal'c
June 1st, 2004, 02:46 PM
Jessica's hair isn't normally blond anyway :P

Torley
June 3rd, 2004, 02:17 AM
I can't say I enjoyed Jessica Steen portraying this Dr. Weir character either... something didn't feel right about it to me, although I must see Atlantis to make a more informed comparison. This isn't a reflection on the part of the actress, but the character -- who I found VERY unlikeable like Kinsey (I'm sure Ronnie Cox is a nice guy in real life but I find Kinsey downright despicable). Part of my strong dislike has to do with the fact that General Hammond, who I like a lot, got pushed over to make room for her... obviously planned to lead into the spin-off, but still :P

I like some quirky characters a whole lot but I just found Dr. Weir to be cut-and-paste and rather banal in my experience of having watched numerous "genius" characters on television. I like Sam Carter more as a blonde genius :) Sam Carter has both book smarts and street smarts... whether Dr. Weir does has yet to be seen.

Again, these are my impressions based on the characters and not the real people playing them.

Anubis
June 3rd, 2004, 02:22 AM
Teal'c is correct. Jessica Steen's hair is not normally blonde. It is brown

SGTLopez
June 3rd, 2004, 06:23 AM
Does anyone know why the changed actresses for Dr Weir?

I never liked that broad so this is a good thing. :)