First Contact : question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Contact : question

I was just watching First Contact on t.v and I have a question about a scene. I'm not sure if I'm just being thick or whatever but my curiosity is currently getting the better of me. When Rodney and Daniel are in the secret room talking to John and he says being the leader is boring and Rodney asks about him helping them figure something out (can't remember it) and mentions about John's possibility of being in mensa. Why did Rodney and Daniel find it so funny?

They found it funny because they don't consider John to be all that smart. In an alternate reality, John was in Mensa but Rodney and Daniel find it funny that this dimensions version of John saying he could have been in it.

sigpic

Comment

There was also an earlier episode, 'The Brotherhood' I think, in which Sheppard says he did the test for Mensa - if I remember rightly it was when he and Rodney were trying to work out the right order for the tiles that would give them access to the ZPM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillian52 View Post
        There was also an earlier episode, 'The Brotherhood' I think, in which Sheppard says he did the test for Mensa - if I remember rightly it was when he and Rodney were trying to work out the right order for the tiles that would give them access to the ZPM.
        That is correct, it was The Brotherhood.

Sheppard said he took the Mensa test, he passed, but didn't join Mensa.

Comment

Thank you! For some reason I just couldn't understand why they found it to be funny, but I get it now... finally. So, thank you all for answering.

Comment

That's not why it's funny. It's funny because mensa are made up of people whose IQs are in the top 2-4% of the population.
            However... The implied humour is that since Daniel and Rodney are supposed to be in the top 0.01%(or there abouts) and they're laughing as if to say 'Oh wow, mensa? really? that's so amazing John... *cough*'
            Das guy eating vegetabbles, says 'Waock!' and nice guy obliteratio for sudden.

I always hated that saying...

Comment

LOL good points all around. i wondered that aswell. and still couldnt figure out why they laugh now i know cause there just soo smart eh
              sigpic
              Kenton Canada

Comment

Working...
              X