Rush's hoax, believable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rush's hoax, believable?

The lie that Dr. Rush said that the Destiny will reach the Naquadriah core planet in a year.

Is it believable, because I was calling bull**** the first second I saw it.

Common how are they going to build a reactor to use the planet as a power source in 12-72 hours? Even if they had gotten off they still wouldn't have the supplies to make the base. Or am I missing something like the gate can draw power from something that is 5000 km of solid rock, magma, diamonds, iron etc.

I'm sure not buying it.

P.S. how could the others on board not figure this out stupid author's license.

P.P.S. Can they build it?

Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post
    The lie that Dr. Rush said that the Destiny will reach the Naquadriah core planet in a year.

Common how are they going to build a reactor to use the planet as a power source in 12-72 hours? Even if they had gotten off they still wouldn't have the supplies to make the base. Or am I missing something like the gate can draw power from something that is 5000 km of solid rock, magma, diamonds, iron etc.

I'm sure not buying it.

P.S. how could the others on board not figure this out stupid author's license.

P.P.S. Can they build it?
    They had a year to rig up a way to connect the planet's core to the gate. I don't know how they might have done it, but that's not the point. The lie was to give people hope that there was a chance of success, and it would have done just that.

Comment

easy. first off, Rush said they needed the Mastercode to get control of the ship. second, all it takes is disabling the ship without severe damage. then, use the ship to build the facility. and i'm not sure how they did it the first time, but it might be possible. they could use the ships' powercore or whatever it is, and recharge it via the Icarus planet

Comment

One of the most powerful things in the human world is hope. If you give hope, you give all the possiblity that humans can succeed. Sure Rush was giving them false hope, but better that they have false hope then give up and do nothing in despair.

Maybe they should have known that it wasn't true, but they probably knew on some level it might not be true. Hope is what makes people able to deal with the harsh reality of life. By giving them that lie, he was removing the feeling of despair, and so much more can be done with positive energy then with negative.

Comment

You raise an interesting point here.

However, this is completely irrelevant.

To answer, the believability of Rush's hoax - that the Destiny was coming up on an "Icarus-type" planet - is completely independent of whether the crew could make use of that type of planet. The gist of his hoax is, "We're coming up on an Icarus-type planet; we have a year to figure out how to make use of that fact." There is nothing particularly unlikely about the idea that they were heading toward such a planet, and, if they did stumble across one, such a planet would be their best hope of getting home (for now, at least).
          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Working...
          X