Why did they do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did they do this?

In Sanctuary I'm often distracted by the odd colouring in the show. Its the skin tones often the actors skin has a yellowish discolouration that sometimes looks like an over use of a bad fake tan product. Other times it looks like they've got some kind of terminal liver problem.

It tends to be worse when its a close shot while tones are normal when they are in the distance which makes it really odd its not even consistent. Could someone explain why the show has this 'effect' I find it highly annoying.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Nothings more important than your health... except your money!.

sigpic
    "As a matter of fact it does say Colonel on my uniform." - Colonel Danning

Originally posted by Yipster View Post
    In Sanctuary I'm often distracted by the odd colouring in the show. Its the skin tones often the actors skin has a yellowish discolouration that sometimes looks like an over use of a bad fake tan product. Other times it looks like they've got some kind of terminal liver problem.

It tends to be worse when its a close shot while tones are normal when they are in the distance which makes it really odd its not even consistent. Could someone explain why the show has this 'effect' I find it highly annoying.
    I have no such problem, colour is totally normal on my TV. Not sure why you have this problem.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I haven't noticed this either. Maybe your screen?
      Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
      ---
      sigpic

Comment

I concur with everyone else. Haven't noticed it either. Are you sure it's not your TV?
        ~"Often we forget . . . the sky reaches to the ground . . . with each step . . . . we fly."~ From We Fly by The House Jacks

Comment

No not my tv, no other show does it only sanctuary if it was my tv i'd see it on other things and just incase i checked it on youtube (on this pc NOT TV) and its actually not every episode the earlier ones it seems dont have it as much but i can see it on this pc still so not tv.

ok I dont know if youtube is legal or not so i wont link it just incase but do a exact search for "Sanctuary season 2 episode 6 part 1/5" uploaded by LivHanna so its the same one

Now look at around 1m.06 his face is normal colouring then watch the bit at 1m.14seconds his face is close up it has a yellow discolour look at his forehead for it at its most visible. This one is only small but if you look closely at the whole s2ep6 it happens ALOT and at time is alot more visible and flicks between shots normal yellowish normal yellowish, some faces some normal its very distracting.

That happens all the time in sanctuary. It be ok if they had the fake tan all the time but since it flicks between shots its really distracting its like one camera is off or something but i'm assuming its got something to do with rendered backgrounds and keying.

sigpic

Comment

Uh did you happen to notice the colour of the windows???
            -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
              Uh did you happen to notice the colour of the windows???
              Could the santuary just have alot of yellow windows and lights? maybe

Going by what you suggest in Sanctuary season 2 episode 6 part 4/5 same uploader 3:53 you can see a discolouration in his face could it be the yellow light but its 'behind' him?. Its just odd and stands out i'm beginning to think the actor's really all do have fake tans or odd makeup and the wierd studio lighting just highlights it in a sickly colour. I just find myself surprised that there eyes havent turned yellow yet suggesting end stage liver disease or something thats just how out of place the colouring is to me obviously its not the sun its a studio light so it IS unnatural and it looks it.

sigpic

Comment

Could it also be part of the FX?
                ~"Often we forget . . . the sky reaches to the ground . . . with each step . . . . we fly."~ From We Fly by The House Jacks

Comment

Could the santuary just have alot of yellow windows and lights? maybe

Going by what you suggest in Sanctuary season 2 episode 6 part 4/5 same uploader 3:53 you can see a discolouration in his face could it be the yellow light but its 'behind' him?. Its just odd and stands out i'm beginning to think the actor's really all do have fake tans or odd makeup and the wierd studio lighting just highlights it in a sickly colour. I just find myself surprised that there eyes havent turned yellow yet suggesting end stage liver disease or something thats just how out of place the colouring is to me obviously its not the sun its a studio light so it IS unnatural and it looks it.
                  Sorry but I think you have a serious problem with recognising what is deliberately done by the lighting people (who happen to be extremely good at what they do).
                  A few things you apparently missed :
                  1) the window in the room is in FRONT of him (see the light on Magnus' face?)
                  2) the lightshades in the room are golden/yellow (2:15)
                  3) there is an open fire in the room (2:15)

They are very careful to set their lighting up and as the actors move about they get different light upon them (just like in real life). If you check out that scene at 2:15 you can see the various shades of light from the three sources I mentioned.
                  -

Comment

I've had problems with the coloring too. Maybe it is the high def TVs or signal or something, I have high end equipment and have no problems with other shows. I noticed the odd colors on both the satelite feed and DVDs though. Sometimes the faces look almost orange and sometimes almost yellow. I just figured it was a reflection of the all the green screen shots and the lighting wasn't quite right.

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
                      I've had problems with the coloring too. Maybe it is the high def TVs or signal or something, I have high end equipment and have no problems with other shows. I noticed the odd colors on both the satelite feed and DVDs though. Sometimes the faces look almost orange and sometimes almost yellow. I just figured it was a reflection of the all the green screen shots and the lighting wasn't quite right.
                      Thank you i'm glad i'm not mad!

RealmOfX the next episode S2e7 right before the credits explain the yellow colouring on Williams face as it zooms in close right after "all the evidence i've gathered" line(his jaw) which disappears on the side shot right after. This isnt as strong as other appearances of this wierd 'effect' but i'm using it since they are standing in a brightly white light lit morgue. No something very odd is happening I dont know what but its more then distracting for me.

Don't go all fanboi on me please I do enjoy the show i was just wondering what the reasoning was for this which is kinda distracting to me in the same way as the BSG shakey cam is distracting except that has a 'reason' even if its debatable if actually good to have or not.

heh infact right after the credits, the other guys face has it and williams doesnt , it even comes and go's between shots they HAVENT MOVED and the room has no yellow lights.
                      Last edited by Yipster; 19 March 2010, 07:56 AM.

sigpic

Comment

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, if you're sure there's nothing wrong with your TV then get your eyes checked, sounds like you have some funky business going on.
                        Das guy eating vegetabbles, says 'Waock!' and nice guy obliteratio for sudden.

I always hated that saying...

Comment

I've noticed it too. In Sleepers, Telsa looks yellow not tan, and everyone has obnoxiously pink lips. It's not my tv or my eyes as they're working just fine when not watching Sanctuary.
                          "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Thank you i'm glad i'm not mad!

RealmOfX the next episode S2e7 right before the credits explain the yellow colouring on Williams face as it zooms in close right after "all the evidence i've gathered" line(his jaw) which disappears on the side shot right after. This isnt as strong as other appearances of this wierd 'effect' but i'm using it since they are standing in a brightly white light lit morgue. No something very odd is happening I dont know what but its more then distracting for me.

Don't go all fanboi on me please I do enjoy the show i was just wondering what the reasoning was for this which is kinda distracting to me in the same way as the BSG shakey cam is distracting except that has a 'reason' even if its debatable if actually good to have or not.

heh infact right after the credits, the other guys face has it and williams doesnt , it even comes and go's between shots they HAVENT MOVED and the room has no yellow lights.
                            I won't go "fanboi" on you but you are approaching this problem as if it is being done deliberately and it is happening everywhere, which it is not.

I have no problems with my copy of the episode in the places that you mention.

I think by now it is obvious that some people don't have a problem and some do. That to me points to a possible combination of factors.

A) The broadcast system
                            B) The TV / Monitor used
                            C) Individual perceptions
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
                              I'm curious where on the DVD's you are seeing it and if it the same problem as described by Yipster.
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X