PDA

View Full Version : SG-1's "longest-running" record has fallen

s09119
March 5th, 2010, 10:04 AM
The CW announced that Smallville will return for a 10th season, and with a full episode order, it will surpass SG-1's record of longest-running science fiction show in America by 4 episodes.

Thoughts?

jelgate
March 5th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Smallville is science fiction? Seriously?

Life goes on. The record was never a big deal to me. It was the fact that I had a decade of enjoyable TV

EvilSpaceAlien
March 5th, 2010, 10:12 AM
It's a bit sad to see SG1 lose it's record to the rather mediocre (just my opinion) Smallville. I still think that SG1 should have had an eleventh season to wrap things up.
Wel at leastl I can still be happy that one of my other favorite shows, Doctor Who, holds the worldwide record. Also the chance of someone beating DW's record is slim since it got something like 750 episodes spread out over soon-to-be 31 seasons and several specials.

Egle01
March 5th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Smallville might last longer, but SG-1 was better. :P Imho, of course.

DigiFluid
March 5th, 2010, 10:21 AM
SG-1 never had the "longest running" record. That honour belonged (and still belongs) to Doctor Who.

Incidentally, Smallville will need a full 22 episode season 10 to outdo SG-1 (assuming season 9 is 19 episodes as Wikipedia currently states).

s09119
March 5th, 2010, 10:26 AM
SG-1 never had the "longest running" record. That honour belonged (and still belongs) to Doctor Who.

Incidentally, Smallville will need a full 22 episode season 10 to outdo SG-1 (assuming season 9 is 19 episodes as Wikipedia currently states).

...hence the "in America" part. But in any event, I like both shows, even if I think SG-1 is of higher quality. So I'm pleased no matter what.

Madwelshboy
March 5th, 2010, 10:42 AM

Season 9 will have a total of 22 episodes. The number of episodes for season 10 at this point hasnt been stated, but will likely be 22 following the pattern of previous seasons.

Promethius30
March 5th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I am sad its been lost but 10 season is still a huge accomplishment

Naonak
March 5th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I can't understand how Smallvillle's lasted for a decade with such a bland lead actor as Tom Welling. :S

jelgate
March 5th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I can't understand how Smallvillle's lasted for a decade with such a bland lead actor as Tom Welling. :S

Its the CW. That about explains it:P.

Briangate78
March 5th, 2010, 11:48 AM
The CW announced that Smallville will return for a 10th season, and with a full episode order, it will surpass SG-1's record of longest-running science fiction show in America by 4 episodes.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking about the Simpsons for some odd reason. D'oh!

DigiFluid
March 5th, 2010, 12:02 PM
...hence the "in America" part. But in any event, I like both shows, even if I think SG-1 is of higher quality. So I'm pleased no matter what.
Oop. Who ever said you need to read a post to reply to it :p

hobobillybob
March 5th, 2010, 12:14 PM

I think Stargate held the "longest continuously running" record for a Sci-Fi series. Doctor Who has been on and off over the years so it has been on the longest, but not aired every year since the pilot episode.

Naonak
March 5th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Its the CW. That about explains it:P.
Good point. :D

Supernatural's immensely talented cast are quite the anomaly on that network.

DigiFluid
March 5th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I think Stargate held the "longest continuously running" record for a Sci-Fi series. Doctor Who has been on and off over the years so it has been on the longest, but not aired every year since the pilot episode.
Off-topic, but that isn't true at all. Doctor Who still has the record by a country mile, without break.

s09119
March 5th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Good point. :D

Supernatural's immensely talented cast are quite the anomaly on that network.

I never used to like the show, but I tuned in a few times this past season and was very impressed. They're working in the Apocalypse motif quite well.

majorsal
March 5th, 2010, 01:25 PM

Thoughts?

while i like smallville a lot, it surpassing sg1's record is sad for me. :(

(((sg1)))

jelgate
March 5th, 2010, 03:16 PM
while i like smallville a lot, it surpassing sg1's record is sad for me. :(

(((sg1)))

Then lets try the denial approach. Smallville doesn't qualify as science fiction

Petra
March 5th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Then lets try the denial approach. Smallville doesn't qualify as science fiction

That's denial? I thought it's honest to God truth! :P

Seriously though, it doesn't bother me. I've never been much excited about this record and I just can't seriously consider Smallville to be sci-fi. I just can't.

DigiFluid
March 5th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I don't watch Smallville so I don't have any particular love or dislike for it. That said, I have to agree that I'm not sure superhero stuff counts as science fiction.

Callista
March 5th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Doesn't the fact that he's an alien make it science fiction?

Not that I care one way or the other, I just always thought in the full definition science fiction = aliens, time travel, robots, spaceships (other than the ones that actually already exist), disease and/or mutants created by evil (or stupid) scientists, futuristic utopian societies, futuristic apocalyptic societies, or anything weird that happens because someone got exposed to radiation. So Superman is science fiction, but Batman is not. (Although Batman's cool gadgets make him come close, but I wouldn't count James Bond as science fiction and he's got lots of cool gadgets, too. But wait! One time James Bond went to outer space. Hmmmm. I may have to rethink this whole thing. :P)

Teal'c_PI
March 5th, 2010, 05:55 PM

Thoughts?

Sheesh, and I was just hoping that SG-1 wouldn't be beaten. In my opinion Smallville is pretty terrible, and has been since season 1. Why a show like that has continued on beats me--at the very least SG-1 improved from its dismal first two seasons, but Smallville hasn't improved at all! I wouldn't mind if it was a show that even slightly interested me, but Smallville... :mckay:

s09119
March 5th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Sheesh, and I was just hoping that SG-1 wouldn't be beaten. In my opinion Smallville is pretty terrible, and has been since season 1. Why a show like that has continued on beats me--at the very least SG-1 improved from its dismal first two seasons, but Smallville hasn't improved at all! I wouldn't mind if it was a show that even slightly interested me, but Smallville... :mckay:

Smallville's actually getting rather good, I think, especially as they move from solely focusing on Clark Kent and begin to look at the wider world, as well.

Teal'c_PI
March 5th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Smallville's actually getting rather good, I think, especially as they move from solely focusing on Clark Kent and begin to look at the wider world, as well.

I do agree that their viewpoint is changing, but I personally found the writing style annoying from the pilot episode. A lot of the things the characters say seem so contrived to me--I think I heard Chloe say something to the effect of "On a scale from 1 to Chernobyl, what's the fallout?" and I wondered: who would actually think to say that in real life? I think that Smallville's a bit like SGA was: all the potential is there, but in my opinion the potential isn't realized. But yet SGA was canceled after five seasons...

Frostfox
March 6th, 2010, 07:37 AM

Not that I care one way or the other, I just always thought in the full definition science fiction = aliens, time travel, robots, spaceships (other than the ones that actually already exist), disease and/or mutants created by evil (or stupid) scientists, futuristic utopian societies, futuristic apocalyptic societies, or anything weird that happens because someone got exposed to radiation. So Superman is science fiction, but Batman is not. (Although Batman's cool gadgets make him come close, but I wouldn't count James Bond as science fiction and he's got lots of cool gadgets, too. But wait! One time James Bond went to outer space. Hmmmm. I may have to rethink this whole thing. :P)

Of course, any show with a character born on a planet other than Earth is, by any reasonable definition of the term, SF. Unless someone would like to explain otherwise? Or do the rest of you have x-ray vision and can fly and have just failed to let me in on the secret?
As you point out, being a super hero doesn't necessarily mean the comic or show the comic is based on has to be SFnal (though Bats has lots of SF elements - super science plus Bats is part of the larger DC universe which is definitely SF).

Re Bond and SF, if you are thinking of Moonraker, close earth orbit is hardly 'outer space'! Or has he been further afield? I confess, I only really like the original books and Connery's Bond. But again, the films are full of super-science and an argument could be made for them being somewhat SFnal too.

Just my opinion (but I have been reading hard SF since the 70's and comics since the 80's)

I don't watch Dr Who or Smallville, but Dr Who, despite various hiatus, has been about since 1963, had about 26 years of consecutive seasons, 700+ episodes and still going.
I think the way BBC commissions TV shows (short seasons of 6-8 shows half hour show) makes comparing it to US seasons (of 22+ forty five minutes shows) a bit apples and oranges in any case, and to be honest, who cares? SG, Smallville and Who all have devoted fanbases and entertain people, that's the most important thing.

FF :nox:

s09119
March 6th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I do agree that their viewpoint is changing, but I personally found the writing style annoying from the pilot episode. A lot of the things the characters say seem so contrived to me--I think I heard Chloe say something to the effect of "On a scale from 1 to Chernobyl, what's the fallout?" and I wondered: who would actually think to say that in real life? I think that Smallville's a bit like SGA was: all the potential is there, but in my opinion the potential isn't realized. But yet SGA was canceled after five seasons...

But see, I think those lines are hilarious, and i have friends that would definitely say things like that... maybe I just have strange friends, though...

Teal'c_PI
March 6th, 2010, 03:55 PM
But see, I think those lines are hilarious, and i have friends that would definitely say things like that... maybe I just have strange friends, though...

Well, it all depends on your viewpoint anyway. Guess it's sort of a moot point ;)

Dex Luther
March 8th, 2010, 02:32 PM

If that doesn't work, we can try disqualifying it some other way. The fact that Smallville's plot has been going around in circles for years now has GOT to count for something.

Does he want to accept his destiny or doesn't he?
Does he want to be with Lana or doesn't he?
Does he want to be with Lois or doesn't he?

Same thing over and over for at least the last 8 seasons.

Teal'c_PI
March 8th, 2010, 04:20 PM
If that doesn't work, we can try disqualifying it some other way. The fact that Smallville's plot has been going around in circles for years now has GOT to count for something.

:lol:

cflat
March 9th, 2010, 12:35 PM

Exactly.

I like Smallville though I like SG-1 a lot more than Smallville. It kinda sucks that SG-1's no longer #1 for that record.

s09119
March 9th, 2010, 01:37 PM

...could you decide if you wanted to give up all facets of your personal life to spend the rest of your years saving the world and getting beaten to near-death while doing in any less time?

Dex Luther
March 9th, 2010, 06:23 PM
...could you decide if you wanted to give up all facets of your personal life to spend the rest of your years saving the world and getting beaten to near-death while doing in any less time?

Probably. When I was in high school I knew for a fact that the chances of marrying and living happily ever after with the first girl I ever noticed were pretty slim at best (just logically). That's how many seasons shaved off compared to the 'Lana lust' alone?

Then there's the fact that he's tried having his cake and eating it too before, and he (and we) know that didn't end very well. Knowing the consequences of that why is Lois even a question? Other than we already know how it's supposed to be in the end.

Having to pick one or the other, I don't think any real person would dwell on the issue very long. If you were put in that situation, would you really contemplate letting people die and knowing you had the power to stop it just so you could be 'happy'? Listening to all those people screaming and calling for help with your super hearing and doing nothing about it would probably only lead you to depression and suicide. I know I wouldn't be able to do it, so the solution is obvious. That's a lot of time saved that Clark has spent bumbling over 9 seasons.

Replicator Todd
March 10th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I greatly love SG1 and Smallville, and both are among my most favorite shows I did not watch from the beginning! I only got into Smallville last year(Season 9), and have watched seasons 1 and 2(and just got 3 on DVD today), and I got into SG1 during Season 8, its a little odd that they both are granted 10 seasons. As they way I felt about SG1 when it was airing is how I feel about Smallville now, utter excitement for the next episode. Go Smallville! I don't understand how Smallville wouldn't be considered sci-fi in some people's minds as it is full of aliens, robots, and plenty o crazy stuff.....with lots of angst. I love it. :D

Republibot 3.0
March 11th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Smallville is science fiction? Seriously?

Technically. Superman's an alien, after all.

jelgate
March 11th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Technically. Superman's an alien, after all.

It was a joke. As much as I loathe the show I know that Smallville is science fiction

s09119
March 11th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Probably. When I was in high school I knew for a fact that the chances of marrying and living happily ever after with the first girl I ever noticed were pretty slim at best (just logically). That's how many seasons shaved off compared to the 'Lana lust' alone?

Then there's the fact that he's tried having his cake and eating it too before, and he (and we) know that didn't end very well. Knowing the consequences of that why is Lois even a question? Other than we already know how it's supposed to be in the end.

Having to pick one or the other, I don't think any real person would dwell on the issue very long. If you were put in that situation, would you really contemplate letting people die and knowing you had the power to stop it just so you could be 'happy'? Listening to all those people screaming and calling for help with your super hearing and doing nothing about it would probably only lead you to depression and suicide. I know I wouldn't be able to do it, so the solution is obvious. That's a lot of time saved that Clark has spent bumbling over 9 seasons.

I think you're wrong. Even if I had the power to save thousands of people, I'm human, and I'm a selfish one when it comes to happiness. I couldn't just leave everything I love behind to help others, and I think I'd be struggling to find a balance just like Clark is.

Dex Luther
March 11th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I think you're wrong. Even if I had the power to save thousands of people, I'm human, and I'm a selfish one when it comes to happiness. I couldn't just leave everything I love behind to help others, and I think I'd be struggling to find a balance just like Clark is.

So you'd keep trying even after getting the person you love killed and then killing your father because you brought her back? I agree. I might try once. Once I saw that people died because of it, the choice would be easy though.