Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (515)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (515)

IT’S BOBBY’S WIFE! — Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) investigate Bobby’s home town where the dead are rising from the grave but instead of attacking humans, they are happily reuniting with their families. The brothers turn to Bobby (Jim Beaver) for help but he tells them not to worry about it and to leave town. Suspicious, Dean investigates and comes face to face with Bobby’s dead wife (guest star Carrie Anne Fleming) who has no memory of what happened to her. Once the zombies start turning evil, the boys tell Bobby he has to kill his wife but he refuses. John Showalter directed the episode written by Jeremy Carver.

Post Viewing Discussion Only
    Last edited by Madwelshboy; 20 March 2010, 02:15 AM.

Man was it great to have this show back tonight. Very nice episode, as usual for this show. I felt so bad in the end for Bobby. No one should ever have to kill the person they love, let alone twice. I wonder if he will be able to go on helping the boys?
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

OMG, poor Bobby! Heartbreaking stuff, really had me tearing up. And Lucifer is now officially on my hate list for putting Bobby through this, and being so sneaky to go around and put pressure on the boys by demoralizing their friends. 'Team Free Will' is looking awfully tattered, between Dean who's 'dead inside', Sam who's still fighting his addiction, Cas who's lost most of his mojo, and now Bobby who was still the rock everybody could cling to, in spite of his physical cindition. Now he's all broken up after this emotional trauma.

Again, the show had it all, from humor to gore. Geez, they're really pulling out all the stops on the 'eek' factor this season, aren't they? When that kids turned around, with what looked like a bit of intestine dangling from his hand... I also think whoever played the Sheriff did a really good job between tough law enforcer and heartbroken Mom. I think that was my favorite scene, when she called the 'FBI' and recognized Bobby's voice - priceless to see the boys squirm.

I was also glad that we didn't get to see Bobby's wife turn bad. She was just so sweet, I'm glad she convinced Bobby to end it before it got out of hand. As hard as it was for him.

sigpic
      Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

Poor, poor bobby. So Death was just there to demoralize him and put him away from the boys? Evil SOB's Bobby wife really was a sweetheart and I am also happy that she did not turn, though Bobby had to kill her again.

The episode itself way typical SPN, so I have nothing to complain about. I didn't need another part of the man-eating persons, let alone by a child, but I guess that's it what you get when you watch a horror show.

The humour was great, I cracked up when the sheriff blew Sam and Deans disguise by knowing Bobby from his voice as well as when Dean said "Another horsemen? Great, must be Thursday." I also laughed at "Don't Bobby-me!"

I have really difficulties picturing Bobby as the town drunk. He might be that creepy guy out there who lives all alone in a junk yard, and he had quite some bottles in his house after Dean came back from hell, but he was never really drunk except in AAH, where every one was at least a bit drunk.

What I did not understand ( and I had some difficulties understanding what Bobby said in the end, so it might have been explained there): why did all the Zombies go to Bobbies house? Should they kill him? Because I guess there would have been easier ways to kill a guy in a wheelchair than unleash a good dozen of formerly dead people while Sam and Dean are in town.
        The cake is a lie!

Comment

Originally posted by iolanda View Post
          PWhat I did not understand ( and I had some difficulties understanding what Bobby said in the end, so it might have been explained there): why did all the Zombies go to Bobbies house? Should they kill him? Because I guess there would have been easier ways to kill a guy in a wheelchair than unleash a good dozen of formerly dead people while Sam and Dean are in town.
          I didn't get the first part of the sentence either, but he said something about them wanting to either take his life or his spirit. I agree, it seems a bit of a lame excuse for raising the zombies, but after all it's Death we're talking about so his weapon of choice would be dead people. Which doesn't explain why they were kinda nice at first. But even though finding Bobby's mutilated corpse would have been a real blow to the boys, my guess is the Zombies just wanted to scare the living daylights out of Bobby. If he didn't deliver Death's message - and I reserve judgement on whether what he told Sam and Dean was the whole message, after all we didn't get to hear what Karen really told Bobby - the boys would have had not way of knowing that Bobby had died because he was on their side.

I sure hope there'll be some clarification of what really happened here in some later episode. I can't help myself but feel that this ep's tie in with the overall story arch is a bit contrived. It sounds more like an excuse to do a Zombie episode with the twist of them being 'normal' at first. And I'm not used to that kind of stuff from this show.

sigpic

Comment

as much as I like zombies this was a bit boring

the plot was way too thin on this one

Comment

I liked the ep. It was great, I did miss the teaser though, but all made sense nonetheless. Poor boys being caught out on their FBI trick.
              "You're a zombie!"
              "I'm a taxpayer!"

As for sending the nice Zombies, heck I think that's the best weapon. Bobby's used to big bad things coming at him and the boys left and right. You want to scare him? You tear down his walls. And best way to do that is to give him time with his wife who had to kill. He already lives with the guilt of having to have killed her once, imagine having to do it again. That's going to destroy a man. And it's Lucifer and Death, they're not going to settle just for killing a guy... They want to have their fun too, so why not mess with his head?

I haven't had my tea yet, if I make no sense... Eh *shrug*
              sigpic
              Awesome sig by Laura
              "We're eating stardust" ~Mr. R

The randomess that is me
              Nibbles Zane Ducky Pixie Ace Bunny Sally Hunter Kitty

Comment

Originally posted by Salamas View Post
                As for sending the nice Zombies, heck I think that's the best weapon. Bobby's used to big bad things coming at him and the boys left and right. You want to scare him? You tear down his walls. And best way to do that is to give him time with his wife who had to kill. He already lives with the guilt of having to have killed her once, imagine having to do it again. That's going to destroy a man. And it's Lucifer and Death, they're not going to settle just for killing a guy... They want to have their fun too, so why not mess with his head?

Actually, it makes perfect sense to me now. Confront them with what they least expect, and then hit them hard when their defenses are down. Sounds like a satanic and deathly plot to me.

sigpic

Comment

I loved the episode! I felt really sorry for Bobby. He looked like he'd be raked over the coals a few times by the end of the episode. Death brought his wife back just to take the wind outta his sails.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Salamas View Post

Makes perfect sense and I agree that that was the point of having them be nice. Screw with him psychologically in a sick, twisted way first. Whether he ended up dead or not, they essentially got what they wanted from him.

Course I also think the show just wanted to be gross with the eating of people and blowing the heads off zombies so the actual plot was a bit weak. Bobby means a lot to the brothers, but I don't quite get how his death would get Sam much further along to saying yes (other than making him angrier). I just see it as making him more determined than ever, at this point. Bobby is the last thing the brothers care about. You loose him, what's left to loose?...as far as trying to drive them over the edge by killing those they love. I suppose if you have nothing left to loose then what's the point of fighting on, but I don't see Sam giving up that easily to despair. Now Dean on the other hand.... To put a truly evil spin on it, I'd almost want to say the angels did this to eat away at Dean if Bobby had been killed. Does make me wonder what Bobby's wife actually said, and whether Bobby repeated everything she said.

Anyway I liked the ep. Wasn't one of the best, but I enjoyed it.
                    IMO always implied.

Comment

I realized something. In another season (two maybe?) Where the guy had brought back that girl as a zombie... They had to lure her into her grave and stake her down to get rid of her. And now a headshot worked? Different types of zombies or writers forgetting their own continuity?
                      sigpic
                      Awesome sig by Laura
                      "We're eating stardust" ~Mr. R

The randomess that is me
                      Nibbles Zane Ducky Pixie Ace Bunny Sally Hunter Kitty

Comment

Hmm. Huh. Well...um....er.......huh. I don't know what to think about this episode. I have been trying to figure it out all morning. I just wasn't blown away by it(no pun intended). But for the life of me, I can't figure out why. There was nothing wrong with it that I could see.

If you break it down, it had:

-Good story for Bobby.
                        -Good, solid story overall.
                        -Good job connecting it to the season-long story arc, while not being too heavy with it.
                        -Good funny moments (my favourite being the whole conversation with the sheriff and the 'undead killer zombie' while they were being arrested).
                        -Good acting all-around ( I was surprised the actress playing the sheriff did as well as she did, since I work with kids, so I only know her as the mom on Suite Life of Zack and Cody...the show Dean makes fun of in Lucifer Rising! )
                        -Everyone was acting in-character.
                        -They didn't backslide story-wise with Sam's addiction coming up again after the last episode (cool twist for that ep, but didn't want to dwell).
                        -Dean was sweeter than ever with his protectiveness of Bobby.
                        -Good continuity with other episodes.
                        -Good action.
                        -Good amount of horror and gore, without going OOT
                        -Good twist with the zombies starting out all nice.....

so why didn't this one 'hit it out of the park' for me? I'm just not sure.

Ok, I have DO have one idea, but it is really pretty OT. So I'll put it in spoilers...(which is kind of ironic in its own way), and the 99.999999% of you that couldn't care less about my personal tv watching preferences can skip this.

Spoiler:
                        One theory that came up with this morning (and this is going to sound weird ) is that I think I actually NEED the spoilers! I noticed that even waiting for the episode during the hiatus, and all of yesterday, I didn't have my usual sense of building excitement. Then I thought about it, and I haven't had that for a while....since I gave up spoilers, in fact!

While I have enjoyed being surprised by things, not knowing where the story is going, I notice I spend more energy concerned that there will be some big turn to the story that I am not going to be happy with. So, I am distracted, instead of enjoying the moment. I don't need a transcript, and in fact don't want all the little details, but I do better if I am given the broad strokes of the story ahead of time.

That, and the promos actually do a good job getting you pumped up for the next episode! So, I am back on the Dark Side with those who spoil!

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          One theory that came up with this morning (and this is going to sound weird ) is that I think I actually NEED the spoilers! I noticed that even waiting for the episode during the hiatus, and all of yesterday, I didn't have my usual sense of building excitement. Then I thought about it, and I haven't had that for a while....since I gave up spoilers, in fact!

While I have enjoyed being surprised by things, not knowing where the story is going, I notice I spend more energy concerned that there will be some big turn to the story that I am not going to be happy with. So, I am distracted, instead of enjoying the moment. I don't need a transcript, and in fact don't want all the little details, but I do better if I am given the broad strokes of the story ahead of time.

That, and the promos actually do a good job getting you pumped up for the next episode! So, I am back on the Dark Side with those who spoil!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
                            Hmm. Huh. Well...um....er.......huh. I don't know what to think about this episode. I have been trying to figure it out all morning. I just wasn't blown away by it(no pun intended). But for the life of me, I can't figure out why. There was nothing wrong with it that I could see.

If you break it down, it had:

<snipped for length>

so why didn't this one 'hit it out of the park' for me? I'm just not sure.

Ok, I have DO have one idea, but it is really pretty OT. So I'll put it in spoilers...(which is kind of ironic in its own way), and the 99.999999% of you that couldn't care less about my personal tv watching preferences can skip this.

Spoiler:

Well, I spoilered myself senseless, but I had the same feeling about the episode. Although this may have something to do with the fact that I think Zombies are the most trite and clichéd of all monsters. Still, the way they were portrayed should have made a difference, but even though I liked the ep it didn't blow me away like so many recent ones.

Oh, and welcome back to the dark side! The sneak peeks for the next ep should do nicely to keep you salivating until next Thursday.

@ Sal: good point about 'how to kill a Zombie'. It wouldn't have been feasible to stake all those guys, though, so maybe there's more than one way to gank a Zombie? Or the fact how the girl was brought back required a specific way of killing her. It's too long since I've seen that ep - and not being a Zombie fan I think I even skipped it on my re-watch - so I forget what brought her back. May have to do some research on this.

sigpic

Comment

OK..I have to get this out of the way first….What!!! has happened to Sam’s hair!!! I missed the first 15mins trying to concentrate!!!!

And no reference to last weeks problems either...disappointing..I would have liked a little nod! Although I read that this ep was filmed to air before last weeks...CW made the change.

Apart from that, a pretty good ep. I liked it.

It‘s no surprise that Lucifer is beginning to ratchet up the action…the end game is near.
                              Earlier he made a big show of summoning Death. He seemed to just revel in knowing that Sam and Dean were powerless against him but now he’s getting down to business with a vengeance. Getting at Bobby is sending a powerful message to the boys. I don’t think Death needed to send a verbal message…what was happening said it all really….I reckon Bobby’s not telling the whole story there! But slowly and relentlessly Lucifer’s going to try and wear them down. Good thing that Dean decided to ask Sam back…it’s going to get ugly and they need each other!!!

Heartbreaking scenes with Bobby…you knew Bobby would do the right thing in the end but it was made harder that his wife didn’t change into a monster before he shot her. I remembered at the end that Jim Beaver has lost his wife in RL so it must have been hard for him to do that ep.

Plenty of bloody action in there…we’re left in no doubt that to kill a zombie you need to aim for the head! Traditionally there’s more that one way to kill them but in the situation they were in a head shot had to be the way to go and it did look a bit spectacular with Sam and the Sheriff blasting away at them at the end.

It was pointed out twice that Dean’s never been in love. Once by Bobby’s wife and indirectly by Bobby at the end and I’m wondering if they’re going somewhere with that at some point.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X