Let's talk books for a minute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk books for a minute

B5 is fairly unique in the sci-fi sphere in that it has a number of books which are endorsed by the series creator as canon pieces of the universe's history.

Now--generally I really despise EUs (exception: Star Wars). But I'm kind of curious to see what the Babylon 5 books bring to the table, particularly with the lack of on-screen resolution of the Telepath War, among other unresolved plot threads.

So I put it to you, learned GW B5 community, are the B5 books worth reading? Or are they painful trite that reads like bad fanfic, like so many other sci-fi series' books?

For reference:
    Spoiler:
    Voices, Accusations, Blood Oath, Clark's Law, Touch of Your Shadow, Betrayals, Shadow Within, and Personal Agendas are regarded as 90% canon (whatever that means) while To Dream in the City of Sorrows is regarded as fully canon.

Likewise the Psi Corps, Centauri, and Technomage trilogies are all regarded as fully canon as well.

What say you, scholars of the B5niverse?
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 02 March 2010, 07:27 PM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    B5 is fairly unique in the sci-fi sphere in that it has a number of books which are endorsed by the series creator as canon pieces of the universe's history.

Now--generally I really despise EUs (exception: Star Wars). But I'm kind of curious to see what the Babylon 5 books bring to the table, particularly with the lack of on-screen resolution of the Telepath War, among other unresolved plot threads.

So I put it to you, learned GW B5 community, are the B5 books worth reading? Or are they painful trite that reads like bad fanfic, like so many other sci-fi series' books?

For reference:
    Spoiler:
    Voices, Accusations, Blood Oath, Clark's Law, Touch of Your Shadow, Betrayals, Shadow Within, and Personal Agendas are regarded as 90% canon (whatever that means) while To Dream in the City of Sorrows is regarded as fully canon.

Likewise the Psi Corps, Centauri, and Technomage trilogies are all regarded as fully canon as well.

What say you, scholars of the B5niverse?
    I haven't read any of the books yet, but my neighbor (who introduced me to B5) has read just about all of them and thinks they're all incredible additions to the mythos. I keep meaning to pick them up, but I'm on a bit of an Asimov kick right now...
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Well I decided to go ahead and order a whole bunch of them (the Psi Corps, Centauri, and Techno-Mage trilogies plus Shadow Within). I'll let you know
      Last edited by DigiFluid; 07 March 2010, 01:46 PM.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I have read them all, and they are really worth it.
        Comics 1-4 handle Sinclair's leaving B5, not that necessary, but a very nice addition to the show.
        Comics 4-8 explain how Garibaldi and Sinclair have found the Psy-Corp on Mars (Garibaldi show this badge at some point in the show, i can't remember when). It also shows us how Garibaldi and Sinclair have met. It's not necessary either, but connect the dots left in the show.
        Comics 9-11 are side stories, not that interesting (plot was not written by JMS)

9-10 are a two part story about G'kar (terrible story, do not match the show at all)
        11 is a in-universe Psy-Corp advert comic (it's OK, but does not add much).

About the first books, only 7, 8 & 9 were written on a JMS outline.
        I read the 1st one, it was ok, but boring, a side story about Talia.
        I could not finish 2, it was so boring, and i did not even try 3-6

Book 7 "The Shadow Within" is brillant, it gives you backstory about Morden, Anna Sheridan, and what truly hapenned at Z'ha'dum when their ship arrived. A must read.

Book 8 Personal Agendas, is ok, i guess, but it's more of a not needed side story, about a failed aptempt to free G'kar in early Season 4.

Book 9 To "Dream in the City of Sorrows" is even better than 7 in my opinion, it gives you the complete life of Jeffray Sinclair, between the end of comic 4 until the episode "War Without End", and trust me, there's much more that what we were lead to believe in the show, it also leave a question unanswered. This question is answered in the comic

"In valen's name" which is is true goodbye to Sinclair
        Both are must-read.

About the 3 trilogies (JMS outline).
        The techno-mages one is mostly crusade related, it gives answer that were suposed to be given in crusade, but in a different fashion.It's very good, and connect a lot with the flashback we have seen in crusade. You must have seen crusade first, i suggest it as the first trilogy to read.

The Psi-Corp trilogy is very different, Book 1 is about the creation of the corp, 100 years before the show, and book 2 is the early life of Bester. I did not like the first one that much, but it is necessary to
        really understand the end of the trilogy. Book 2 was ok, but too predictable.
        Book 3 is the must-read in the trilogy, the final resolution of the Bester/Garibaldi conflict (with a few crusade references to wrap up another hanging plot).

The "Legion of Fire" books are the best of them all, if you can chose only one trilogy, choose that one ( the technomage trilogy help to understand some point, you meet again the characters from technomages books).
        It is the full story of what happened between "Objects in Motions" and the flashforward of "War Without End". They really should have made a miniseries about this, it really deserve it.
        I don't want to spoil things, but it's Vir/Londo centered with appearance of almost every other characters at least at some point. Everything is connected by the end of the book, even why Londo tell the children about the Earth-Minbari war in "In the beginning".

The ending of the final book lead into the situation we have in "Sleeping in light", and the publication of Londo's memories (that he gave to Vir, i don't want to spoil, but it make sence the way it is done) , which bring the story full circle.
        Vir begin to read "I was there at the dawn of the third age of mankind. It began in the Earth year 2257 with the founding of the last of the Babylon stations, located deep in neutral space. It was a port of call for refugees, smugglers, businessmen, diplomats, and travelers from a hundred worlds. Could be a dangerous place. But we accepted the risk, because Babylon 5 was our last, best hope for peace." meaning the whole saga is really the story of Londo Mollari

Comment

Innnnteresting

My 'Shadow Within' arrived today. I think I'll start tonight

Comment

It took me over a year to get past the first few pages of the fist book on the Centauri trilogy. I won't spoil why, but . Poor Londo. I cried.
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.
            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I loved how depressing Londo's fate was even in the series, so very well done, so very sad. Very looking forward to the books now!

Comment

It tore my heart out, even *knowing* his fate.
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

SPOILER for Legion of Fire, do not look until you've seen it.
                  I agree about Londo's fate,
                  Spoiler:
                  it is heartbreaking, especially at the end, when he has suffured almost 20 years at the hands of the drakh, and they make the bombs explode, leading to the devastation of "In the beginning" Londo gave his life to the keeper to prevent this from happening, but it happened anyway, it was such a sad ending for him. Babylon 5 is really the story of the rise, fall, redemption and sacrifice of Londo Mollari.
                  But in the end, i love the fact that him and G'kar will forever be remembered as the two friends that saved the universe afterward.

Comment

I personally enjoyed the Technomage trilogy the best. Jeanne Cavelos has an incredibly immersive and visceral writing style that made me want to keep turning page after page to see what would happen next.

Legions of Fire was enjoyable as well as it resolved many unanswered questions from the series. I thought the pacing dragged at times but the information gleamed and the emotional payoff was well worth-it in the end.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                      I personally enjoyed the Technomage trilogy the best. Jeanne Cavelos has an incredibly immersive and visceral writing style that made me want to keep turning page after page to see what would happen next.
                      Interesting you should say that; tonight I dove into "The Shadow Within", also by Cavelos. Personally I don't find the writing style to be particularly 'adult' (it kind of reads like a Young Adult Novel IMO), but I have found it very engrossing. I started it a little earlier tonight, and I'm almost half done already.

Spoiler:
                      The Sheridan/Agamemnon discipline problem/mission to B5 B-plot, I find, is really quite boring and uninteresting--even though Cavelos has nailed Boxleitner's style to a T. I guess my dislike of this part of the plot isn't really a big deal, however, considering JMS doesn't count it as canonically part of the B5verse.

The Anna/Z'ha'dum story, however, holy cow. I'm so completely absorbed into it that I just can't put it down. Cavelos has really done a great job of fleshing out a character that was pretty flat in the series, as well as giving a little bit of much-needed depth to Morden. And in addition to that, I really, really dig anything that goes in-depth into Z'ha'dum. I always wished there were more about the planet during the show, now this book is finally providing that.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        Interesting you should say that; tonight I dove into "The Shadow Within", also by Cavelos. Personally I don't find the writing style to be particularly 'adult' (it kind of reads like a Young Adult Novel IMO), but I have found it very engrossing. I started it a little earlier tonight, and I'm almost half done already.

Spoiler:
                        The Sheridan/Agamemnon discipline problem/mission to B5 B-plot, I find, is really quite boring and uninteresting--even though Cavelos has nailed Boxleitner's style to a T. I guess my dislike of this part of the plot isn't really a big deal, however, considering JMS doesn't count it as canonically part of the B5verse.

The Anna/Z'ha'dum story, however, holy cow. I'm so completely absorbed into it that I just can't put it down. Cavelos has really done a great job of fleshing out a character that was pretty flat in the series, as well as giving a little bit of much-needed depth to Morden. And in addition to that, I really, really dig anything that goes in-depth into Z'ha'dum. I always wished there were more about the planet during the show, now this book is finally providing that.
                        Spoiler:
                        If you liked the portions that delve into Z'ha'dum, then you'll find the Technomage trilogy very interesting as it does explore Z'ha'dum in incredible detail, as well as who and what the Technomages are.
                        sigpic

Comment

Awesome. It's the only one of the trilogies I've been a bit unsure of, that's reassuring!

Comment

Getting the third book in the Legions of Fire Trilogy seems impossible. I'm not that rich. I wish they would re-release it. Amazon has new copies for $65 and used for $35. It's a paperback!

Comment

It is pretty ridiculous. Fortunately there are other means of reading it until it's listed with a non-absurd price.

Comment

Working...
                              X