Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something thats ridiculously obvious ( Hyperdrives and Nukes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something thats ridiculously obvious ( Hyperdrives and Nukes)

Of all the crazy and obsurd ideas that the SG teams have come up with, theres one im actually very surprised they didnt think of: why not strap a hyperdrive to a nuke.

if they can fit a hyperdrive on a 302, surely they could whip up a little rig to make nukes long range weapons of mass destruction?

you could hit any planet you like, just drop it out of hyperspace in orbit and let gravity do the rest, or scare the heck out of a fleet gathering to strike.

It could aslo be used to take out large ships on the spot, and shields wont get in the way, sam came up with a way to send a 302 (or was it a deathglider?) into hyperspace for just a brief moment to bypass anubis' shield and take out that cliche cooling vent, the thing that made that plan so zainey was that she had to be very precise so they didnt end up inside the ship, but with a nuke, wouldent that be the point to end up inside the ship?

also another usefull ... use... of hyper drives that actually WAS used in the series. the replicators strapped a hyperdrive to a stargate and sent it orbiting lantia, and used it as an exit point for thier mega death beam. the sg teams could have done similar, useing the gate to hit remote targets from a safe distance, of course since we have lesser tech, we would be bound by 38 minutes of launch time, but thats more than enough time to fire off some powerfull weapons.

also brings up another interesting point : if you could get a stargate to drop out inside a star with a shield up and get it to activate, you could remotely obliterate stars like they did that one time to knock out most of apophis' fleet

i get that theres a reluctance to use nukes, and blowing up a star is a bit... imorral? but still it became obvious to me the moment they used the hyperdrive to get the stargate away from the earth before it went kaboom (epic anchient weapon that caused an overload in stargates from a safe distance)

point is it the hyperdrive could have been used for much more... interesting things than simply moveing ships. any thoughts on the matter?

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...1#post11226406

Comment

so ridiculously obvious, we've all already thought of it. in fact, why not leave out the warhead, use a naquahdriah hyperdrive and overload it to blow up stuff.

i guess it falls in the category of "overkill" and "story ending"

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        so ridiculously obvious, we've all already thought of it. in fact, why not leave out the warhead, use a naquahdriah hyperdrive and overload it to blow up stuff.

agreed and seconded by an "indeed"

Comment

Also why not strap a cloak on the missile while your at it. The thing that we couldn't deal with the hive ships because our hundred gigaton nukes got intercepted by darts it stupid and always bothered me.

Equip it with a cloak and good evasive program and were back at 'do the wraith have more ships than we have nukes' thing.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post
            Also why not strap a cloak on the missile while your at it. The thing that we couldn't deal with the hive ships because our hundred gigaton nukes got intercepted by darts it stupid and always bothered me.

Equip it with a cloak and good evasive program and were back at 'do the wraith have more ships than we have nukes' thing.
            Expence?
            "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
            "That he is concealing something."
            "Like what?"
            "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
            "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
            "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
            "I liked that movie!"

Comment

one law of SF: any drive that gets you quickly to high PLS is a weapon of mass destruction.

why not open a hyperspace window in the middle of the enemy?

Comment

Phase tech is the way to go. if a 304 is fited with this we could sneak up on enemy fleets and put a nuke in side each then take them out of phase and destory all at the same time. they would not have any idea what hit them.

but if we did this it would make our victory over the wraith to easy.

Comment

You mean a nuklear/antimater/naquadah/BFB drone?

Comment

Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post
                    You mean a nuklear/antimater/naquadah/BFB drone?
                    Yeah, with phase shifting technology like the tollans had.
                    Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

I said in a thread a long time ago myself that the quickest way for Earth to get taken seriously as a major power would be to start building hyperspace naquada nuke missiles and throwing them up all over places like the other side of the moon or inside cloaked submarine style ships.

"Go ahead and invade our planet, then we'll nuke yours back into the stone age"

Of course all the aliens could easily do the same thing. Some of them like the Asgard and Wraith that have matter>energy>matter conversion tech could probably build much much scarier warheads to tip the missiles with to.

Comment

yup.

they could've taken a tel'tak, accellerate it to .5c and then jump to hyperspace to your target. like, Anubis' mothership. nothing can withstand that.

in fact, i calculated that a hive at .5c would be powerfull enough to devastate earth. the fireball would last almost 3 days and cover a hemisphere.

Comment

KKV are very different than in atmosphere detonated nukes.

For one a hive hitting the earth at that speed will impart 50%-80% more energy to the soil than the nuke and blow a lot bigger hole into our fair planet

Comment

yes, but it's the only thing i can compare it to that people can relate to.

anyway, it would insta-devastate anything. and a hive at that speed, say it's energy is a nuke, then the fireball would cover half the earth

Comment

They really shulda stripped out a few jumper cloaks for their bombs in rising2

Comment

Working...
                              X