PDA

View Full Version : Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment Going Bankrupt

Madwelshboy
February 19th, 2010, 12:30 PM
On February 12, 2010, Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment (CME) filed for bankruptcy in the Maricopa County, Arizona, superior court. This news was recently reported by MMORPG.com.

http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/2010/02/cheyenne-mountain-entertainment-going-bankrupt/

Jack_Bauer
February 19th, 2010, 01:25 PM
so much for Stargate Worlds...

jelgate
February 19th, 2010, 01:47 PM

I think we knew a long time ago Stargate Worlds wasn't going to happen:P

Pharaoh Atem
February 19th, 2010, 02:08 PM

stargate will never get a real game

The Mighty 6 platoon
February 19th, 2010, 05:17 PM
And this isn't surprising news. Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment have shown the business acumen of a thrown brick, trying to get into the MMO market, which is notoriously difficult to break into and then when trying to dredge up some cash, tried to release Stargate Resistance, a game with content little better than a mod at a time when the market is flooded with A list games.

KEK
February 19th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I don't see anything knocking WoW off it's perch any time soon. It'll probably still be going 10 years from now.

The Mighty 6 platoon
February 19th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I don't see anything knocking WoW off it's perch any time soon. It'll probably still be going 10 years from now.

Well apparently its subscription numbers have peaked at around the 11.5 million mark and haven't risen recently. Still their pulling in $1.8 billion dollars a year so I doubt Blizzard are complaining. However what with the time consumption and subscription fees of MMO's people can rarely afford to play more than one at a time, unlike regular games. This of course makes the MMO market far harder.

Hong3103
February 19th, 2010, 08:41 PM
http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/2010/02/cheyenne-mountain-entertainment-going-bankrupt/
That's unfortunate, although I can't say Stargate Resistance looked impressive at all...

KEK
February 19th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Well apparently its subscription numbers have peaked at around the 11.5 million mark and haven't risen recently. Still their pulling in $1.8 billion dollars a year so I doubt Blizzard are complaining. However what with the time consumption and subscription fees of MMO's people can rarely afford to play more than one at a time, unlike regular games. This of course makes the MMO market far harder.

True, but 11.5m is pretty incredible, especially when you consider that Eve Online (one of the biggest MMO's out there) only has 300k subscriptions. WoW would still be profitable on a very small fraction of the subscriptions Blizz have now, and I think it'll be a long time before they get there.

The Mighty 6 platoon
February 20th, 2010, 04:59 AM
True, but 11.5m is pretty incredible, especially when you consider that Eve Online (one of the biggest MMO's out there) only has 300k subscriptions. WoW would still be profitable on a very small fraction of the subscriptions Blizz have now, and I think it'll be a long time before they get there.

Oh yeah imagine their very happy with WOW and they will be for another few years. When your pulling in over $! billion dollars a year you cant really complain. The thing is though that WOW is still popular no other MMO has much of a chance to really be as successful.

KEK
February 20th, 2010, 08:59 AM
MGM should sell the MMO rights to Blizzard :lol:

The Mighty 6 platoon
February 20th, 2010, 12:38 PM
MGM should sell the MMO rights to Blizzard :lol:

To busy prepping StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3. Face it they've got 3 franchise as big as Stargate and have made unbelievable amounts of money, they'd probably want the stargate tptb to pay them to make a stargate game.

Inquisitor
February 20th, 2010, 09:47 PM
No! Give the rights to Bioware! And make a game like Mass Effect or Deus Ex! Maybe even Prototype and that lightning one (or Stargate SG1: The Alliance :P)
A game with almost limitless options! Hundreds of planets! Carter! :P

SaberBlade
February 20th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Seriously, pick any PC game and a team of modders could have released a Stargate game by now, oh wait... they already have (Stargate: Empire at War). I think it is time for MGM to pick an established developer for any Stargate game instead of one who'd take twice as long, spend twice as much and go bankrupt.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 21st, 2010, 02:01 AM
Well seems like the "we need cash" plan failed. How is Resistance? Is it worth me paying £12.95 and money for a new mouse to play it? (playing a game with the touch pad on a laptop could problematic)

The Mighty 6 platoon
February 21st, 2010, 03:39 AM
No! Give the rights to Bioware! And make a game like Mass Effect or Deus Ex! Maybe even Prototype and that lightning one (or Stargate SG1: The Alliance :P)
A game with almost limitless options! Hundreds of planets! Carter! :P

Again the Stargate tptb would have to pay them to make the game, their busy with their own games. And with companies like Bioware and Blizzard they've got their own games and franchises that make billions of dollars and have just as big followings, if not bigger than Stargate.

KEK
February 21st, 2010, 09:32 AM
Well seems like the "we need cash" plan failed. How is Resistance? Is it worth me paying £12.95 and money for a new mouse to play it? (playing a game with the touch pad on a laptop could problematic)

No, because even if it were the best game ever, the servers will probably be down soon as they won't be being paid for.

Jack_Bauer
February 21st, 2010, 04:53 PM
Mw2 is stargate for me anyway. Just use a class with akimbo p90's and a spas-12 and presto! You're Teal'c!!

duffarama
February 22nd, 2010, 10:45 PM
Mw2 is stargate for me anyway. Just use a class with akimbo p90's and a spas-12 and presto! You're Teal'c!!

Funnily enough, that is precisely what I do in Modern Warfare 2 too.

And in another game, Rainbow Six: Vegas, you were also able to change your face, clothing, and armor, so I made myself look like an SG-1 team member. The game had the P90 as well. :)

I guess we will have to keep ourselves happy with alternatives for now.

Jack_Bauer
February 23rd, 2010, 12:38 AM
Funnily enough, that is precisely what I do in Modern Warfare 2 too.

And in another game, Rainbow Six: Vegas, you were also able to change your face, clothing, and armor, so I made myself look like an SG-1 team member. The game had the P90 as well. :)

I guess we will have to keep ourselves happy with alternatives for now.

LOL only thing missing is the Stargate to walk through, the option to fight on hundreds of planets, the ability to control 304's, 302's, assist in fleet construction for the Tau'ri, check out Atlantis, and so on and so forth :P

GateMan2000
February 23rd, 2010, 12:46 PM
I knew this game was doomed 2 years ago even when everyone else said to have patience.

Atri
February 23rd, 2010, 12:54 PM
Stargate: Empire at War is a good mod, though I still wish we'd get a true game, preferably single-player. A Bioware stargate game...*sigh*. They would have done it right like they always do.

What do you think of `The Old Republic`. I believe it's coming out end of 2010/beginning of 2011. I think it's got a real chance of being a true rival to WOW.

gotthammer
February 23rd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Stargate: Empire at War is a good mod, though I still wish we'd get a true game, preferably single-player. A Bioware stargate game...*sigh*. They would have done it right like they always do.

What do you think of `The Old Republic`. I believe it's coming out end of 2010/beginning of 2011. I think it's got a real chance of being a true rival to WOW.

Hmm. I'm not so sure about SW:The Old Republic. The art style they went with doesn't agree w/ me so much. (that and I guess I'm one of those people who was hoping for a KotOR 3)
Still, I'm pretty sure I'll try it out (heck...I'll probably add another collector's edition box to my growing stack of MMOs I'm no longer playing... :P ), as I've yet to be disappointed by any BioWare game I've purchased.

Tuskus
February 23rd, 2010, 05:35 PM
Stargate Worlds wouldn't have been much of a rival to World of Warcraft. But right now it rivals Duke Nukem Forever.

Jack_Bauer
February 23rd, 2010, 09:23 PM
Stargate Worlds wouldn't have been much of a rival to World of Warcraft. But right now it rivals Duke Nukem Forever.

Hahahaha nice call!

Atri
February 24th, 2010, 04:32 AM

Yeah! Good one!

TheRandomOne
February 24th, 2010, 04:01 PM
So how long before the servers get shut down & then people petition to get their 20 bucks back ?

Jack_Bauer
February 24th, 2010, 08:59 PM
So how long before the servers get shut down & then people petition to get their 20 bucks back ?

Would they have a leg to stand on? unless the use of servers provided by CME was explicitly stated as being included in the price then I doubt they would have a case...

Pharaoh Atem
February 24th, 2010, 10:01 PM

3 weeks

KEK
February 24th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Would they have a leg to stand on? unless the use of servers provided by CME was explicitly stated as being included in the price then I doubt they would have a case...

Even if it was explicitly stated, if they're bankrupt it wouldn't matter, there's no way you could get any money out of them.

jrd231
March 1st, 2010, 06:29 PM
Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment missed their window. There was a time a few years ago when MMORPG were the talk of the town and the thing to do. I would run into people who you would never of thought in a million years would play WoW talking my head off about strategy when I've never even played the game. These same guys beat up nerds in high school, laughed at D&D, and drove pickup trucks. That is how big MMORPG games had gotten. The hype around them is a shell of what they were.

If Cheyenne Mountain could have gotten their ducks in a row they could have released a game in the midst of a video gaming boom and made all of their money back and then some. Sadley, at this juncture in the game, releasing a Stargate MMORPG game just doesn't make any sense.

TheRandomOne
March 1st, 2010, 07:31 PM
Apparently there has been some recent layoffs at Firesky / CME. If true then both Stargate Games are done I would say

Coremae
March 14th, 2010, 09:39 AM
So am I to understand that this game is strictly MMO, and not like Halo. Because if it's strictly a MMO, then it doesn't make any sense i buy the stupid thing.

KEK
March 14th, 2010, 03:04 PM
So am I to understand that this game is strictly MMO, and not like Halo. Because if it's strictly a MMO, then it doesn't make any sense i buy the stupid thing.

Stargate Worlds is an MMO, Stargate Resistance is an online TPS. Resistance servers will probably go down some time soon, and SGW will probably never be released, so I wouldn't worry too much about either.