What does Stargate SG-1 mean to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does Stargate SG-1 mean to you?

I've read comments about on how everyone feels the Stargate franchise is in trouble and what not. And it got me thinking about SG-1, how it was so young and fresh when it first started.

So my question to all you is, what does SG-1 mean to you? What was it that made it so special and made it go 10 years? I only know what did it for me, I'm asking what it did for you?

lets talk about the show itself first, then the actors.

Its special because its creative, yet at the same time I think takes us into some of our own dreams. I mean there are a lot of people (including myself) who dreamed of traveling to unknown alien worlds throughout our galaxy and beyond and encounter the things and peoples who live "off world".

SG1 gave us a view into what that might look and feel like while we were faced dire circumstances (i.e. Goauld, Replicators, other threats) and how humanity would be able to face it. Say whatever you want about the Real US Military or Canadian Military or British Military or whatever but if I found out that Humanity had been fighting a war against a hostile alien species ever since we discovered technology that was created by the first human beings ever...... WHERE DO I ENLIST?!

SG1 was a far better science fiction series then Star Trek, Damn one could even argue that SG1 had a lot of elements in it that made it a better "prequel" to Star Trek then the show "Enterprise" ever did. 10 years is a LONG time for a TV show, not to mention a sci fi show based on a movie doing this well is unheard of. SG1 stuck with a formula that worked for them and we loved the show for it. It birthed Star gate Atlantis which was an excellent SPIN OFF show, so what more can you really expect from a TV show?

I started watching SG1 from season 8, I had to move back to the beginning to see it all and then joined most others in syndication for seasons 9 and 10. I remember watching snippets of the show and saying "this sucks" and "why is this still on?" But then i gave it a chance, watched a few full eps and ate my words. I loved this show, I still do and I know I ain't alone here.
    They Say He Travels The Gate Network Searching The Universe For Powerful Technology, They Call Him...... The Gate Traveller

Comment

SG-1 is a surprisingly big part of my life, much bigger than I ever anticipated watching Children of the Gods for the first time. It means a lot to me largely because I can't think of any other series that I find so consistently entertaining, or a cast that has such good chemistry.

I always found it to be at once comfortably familiar (good guy humans versus bad guy aliens, action, lots of sci-fi tropes and cliches etc) and quite innovative (interstellar travel but without ships and firmly grounded in the present day), and a great continuation to a film I loved. While I do enjoy Atlantis, SG-1 is Stargate to me.
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I think "Adventure" when I think about SG1, hope and friendship as well...even in the face of doom.

Back in 2004, when I first got the Sci-Fi Channel(now SyFy ), Stargate SG-1 became the first live-action science fiction show I got into......I loved everything about and was exciting to see every episode. Since at the time Sci-Fi had Stargate SG-1 mondays(five episodes back to back) and reruns every weekday at a certain time I quickly got caught up on every season, although I had no clue what order I was watching them in. Every Friday became a big event for me, I can't describe how big it got and how excited I was once Season 9 and 10 came around! So when I found out it was cancelled, I was just utterly devastated....

Comment

I think of adventure, and exploration, and the good-guys winning. I think of freedom and the courage to stand up for what is right, even when the price you'll pay is your life. I think of friendship and family and how the two are completely intertwined. It gave me four completely different people, from four completely different walks of life and said "this is what heroes look like."

I remember being 13 years old when the show premiered and how my Dad and I would watch it together every week, and how he'd always bring books home from the library for me so I could get a better understanding of the myths that were being acted out on my screen. SG-1 gave me some amazing times with my father that I'll always cherish, and I'll always feel like the show gave me an appriciation for other cultures that I might not have gotten elsewhere.

And honestly, when I think of SG-1 and everything it meant to me, I think of Jack. I guess when it comes down to it, Jack is the heart of SG-1 for me.
          Last edited by Ashizuri; 12 February 2010, 10:15 AM.
          Originally posted by Callista
          Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
          Originally posted by HPMom
          She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

well just this past summer is when I first 'discovered' SG-1. My dad bought the first season and I was hooked so I bought every season and the now sit on a speacial shrine I made them (well if by shrine you mea wooden book rack...) I watched the whole 10 seasons plud the 5 SGA seasons in about 3 months, so for a while I was watching about 4 SG1 episodes a day or more. It has released my iner SiFi nerd. Im now checking out lots of new shows and know about more amazing actors and actresses that I otherwise never would have heard of. SG1 really became a bigger part of my life then I ever expected, and Im glad it did.

Stargate SG-1

The best thing to ever happen to TV...and LIFE!

Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

Comedy, serious, refreshing scenes and themes - SG1 a had its own style and was unrivalled - mythology, plot, it is different to other scifi... it's completely different :. Most are doom and gloom or freaky aliens attacking, when it has technobabble, realistic situations that were (mostly at least) believable. It is set in the modern world.. it shows compassion etc..... And they when to beautiful worlds - British Columbia ! (And others !) They tried to keep set to a minimal ! The aliens didn't look terrible like in Star Wars, Star Trek (yes, I can say it, because I was forced to watch an episode !)
              The many deaths of Daniel Jackson .
              The was dedication to detail (look at the ships ) and they cared about the fans 9somewhat), at least the actors do . ("SG"U is where they stopped caring so much .. no offence to its fans, but if they cared about fans, all/most SG1 and SGA fans would like it )

OH! And there were no scenes or nudity except in the original Children of the Gods... except seeing Daniel clothesless - but everything was covered ! Fortunately .... There was that "almost" scene in Broca Divide, but that's it. And there wasn't excessive kiss !!!
              The Goa'uld, the Ori, the Asgard, the Furlings (rabid koalas ?), the Nox etc! were all so unique ! There was good team chemistry and also between guest stars . The actors are all very talented and good at there job =D! It's not like watching some other sci fis =P (not to mention any names =D! *coughs* the old Doctor Who and Star Trek )

Sorry if this makes no sense or anything, I have discovered how dizzy my medicine makes me ....

Comment

It means so much to me that I couldn't find anybody else yet who shares the same passion for SG as I do. I tried to explain it many times, but it always comes out wrong. So all I can say now that it'll always be a part of my life. What I learned from SG1 carried me this far and will carry me even a lot further. I know

thanks to the spinning wheel for that and for everybody who is part of this journey!
                SGU: Their Only Mission is Survival

Indeed.
                Who knew that this was to take literally!

Forever my team:

Comment

What does SG-1 mean to me?

It means adventure, camaraderie, danger and teamwork. There was a special magic about it, that pulled you in. Every week, I went through the shining blue puddle of water with Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c and experienced their adventures. I laughed, I cried, I cheered. I've never been this involved with a series and I never will be again.

It also means friendship - I've made friends here who actually "get it" when I talk about scifi and for me that's probably the best part of all.
                  sigpic

Comment

adventure and learning about ourselves
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

It means a lot to me, adventure, learning to see everything from another point of view. It had the ability of making a lot of peolpe study archaeology and physics. It gave the oportunity of making friends from all around the world, it teachs you that if you can dream it you can have it, to never give up, and the show was with me when I was sick, I knew I can always distract myself just by watching an episode (or 10, LOL) of Stargate.
                      sigpic
                      Knowledge is power, but how do you use that power defines whether you are good or evil

Comment

what stargate means to me...

adventures. alien planets. team work. friendships. military. earth. fighting for survival. space travel. space ships. the greatest team i've ever seen. the greatest team i love.

sam, jack, mitchell, daniel, teal'c, jonas, hammond, landry, the sgc, the stargate!
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

SG-1 means my favourite show ever. It's not the best one I've seen by any stretch, but it has a heart that most shows lack. It means the best team (Jack, Daniel, Sam, Teal'c, Jonas) and the best chemistry I've ever seen on tv. Cool villains (Goa'ulds). Positive portrayal of the armed forces, one of the few shows where AF officers are the good guys, not stereotypical cliched bad guys. It means my favourite tv character - Jack O'Neill. It means the best heroine in sci-fi (IMO) - Sam Carter.

It means the show of my childhood/youth, as I started watching when I was 13 and continue to do so to this day. It means the only show that ever has, and probably ever will, interested me so much that I entered fandom, started reading fanfiction, watching fanvids, spending hours on this very forum discussing every aspect of it with other fans (thank you for this!!!), learn more about its actors. It's the only show on which I've ever shipped anyone.

It's also the only show that made a huge impact on my life in RL. I learned English because of the show. It's indirectly responsible for my college choice. It helped me survive some bad periods in my life. Many of the most important people in my life, among them one of my closest friends, I met thanks to our shared interest/love for SG-1. In other words, SG-1 has been a huge part of my life, both on-line and in RL and there's no way any other show will ever do that again.
                          There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                          sigpic
                          awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

it means Sierra Gulf One
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Its just good, brillient, supurb, amazing, exellent, fantastic and the best show in the world ever and can't be beaten as long as humanity exists. Maybe aliens could do better but I don't think I'd watch it.
                              Action+drama+science+well written stories+good acting and a dash of moral confilct = Stargate!

Comment

Working...
                              X