PDA

View Full Version : Back Half of Season 5 vs. the prior couple of seasons...

Otomo
February 10th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Hey there, new to the boards here even though I've been surfing for a few years. I finally got around to watching the fifth season of Atlantis and am really enjoying it nearly as much as I was SG-1 for the first time in the series.

Did anyone else notice a change? Atlantis started to do some pretty interesting things both in the realm of silly (in Brain Storm) and just out there (like Vegas) with everything in between. I don't know if I just wasn't paying enough attention before but I feel the series really hit a creative stride here. Is it because they knew they were cancelled? What are your thoughts?

jelgate
February 11th, 2010, 05:12 AM
All of S5 was written before cancellation occured and I loathe the back half of S5 with a few exceptions

Blencathra
February 11th, 2010, 07:17 AM
As do I. In fact I only bought season 5 volumes 1-3. So my collection ends with Outsiders.

Otomo
February 11th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Well I guess I'm the only one who enjoyed it for the most part. There were a couple bad eps in there but it renewed my interest which I thought I'd never get back after Dr. Weir was gone. :)

Linda06
February 11th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Most of season 5 was terrible IMO, especially the second half :S They were all over the place with it :eek:

jelgate
February 11th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Most of season 5 was terrible IMO, especially the second half :S They were all over the place with it :eek:
I quite liked the first half minus Whispers.

Falcon Horus
February 11th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Please remind me again - what happened in the back half of season 5?

And I saw every episode as many times as their main characters, which basically means it wasn't worth much in my brain's opinion, otherwise I would have been able to remember.

jelgate
February 11th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Please remind me again - what happened in the back half of season 5?

McKeller happened.

Falcon Horus
February 11th, 2010, 11:17 AM
McKeller happened.

Ah... right... yes... that. :S

Cyberman inside brain says: DELETE! DELETE! DELETE!

Linda06
February 11th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I quite liked the first half minus Whispers.

I didn't like Ghost in the machine and The Shrine and Whispers. In the second half I didn't like The Lost tribe, Inquisition, Brain Storm, Identity, Vegas and Enemy at the gate. I can't comment of Remnants cause I never watched it ;) So looking at that, yes the second half was definately worse IMO :p

Ah... right... yes... that. :S

Cyberman inside brain says: DELETE! DELETE! DELETE!

:eek: You just had to go and ask :p

jelgate
February 11th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I quite liked Ghost in the Machine. The Shrine had its moments (I love the scene with Woosley and his grandfather) but overall it wasn't good. Less said about the Whispers the better.

Briangate78
February 11th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Hey there, new to the boards here even though I've been surfing for a few years. I finally got around to watching the fifth season of Atlantis and am really enjoying it nearly as much as I was SG-1 for the first time in the series.

Did anyone else notice a change? Atlantis started to do some pretty interesting things both in the realm of silly (in Brain Storm) and just out there (like Vegas) with everything in between. I don't know if I just wasn't paying enough attention before but I feel the series really hit a creative stride here. Is it because they knew they were cancelled? What are your thoughts?

Season 4 took a different turn for the show. It was becoming more character focus, sorta what we got in SGU. I loved Season 4 and 5 for that matter, and even the story was very interesting.

There were a few dissapointments in the last half of Season 5, but it also had some great eps as well, like The lost Tribe, Remnants, The Prodigal, and Vegas. It also had duds like Inquisition, Brianstorm, and Identity.

Season 5 was a set up season for something bigger to happen, Season 6. I do see folks were a little upset about the last half, because they likely wanted more for the last 10 eps. I understand where they are coming from, but it still was a very good season overall. Ratings went up, and were consistant so people liked what they were watching since they kept tuning into the show.

Lythisrose
February 11th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I despised the McKeller focus and it did sour me on the second half of the season, but I really enjoyed The Shrine, Prodigal and Vegas. Identity and Brainstorm were just or almost unwatchable to me. Very uneven.

jelgate
February 11th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I despised the McKeller focus and it did sour me on the second half of the season, but I really enjoyed The Shrine, Prodigal and Vegas. Identity and Brainstorm were just or almost unwatchable to me. Very uneven.

That is interesting as I find Vegas to be Stargate's most unwatchable episode ever. I rather watch Irresponsible then Vegas

Blencathra
February 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM
:eek: Heavens! Now that is saying something.

Now, what can I think of.....

I would rather watch all of SGU & Vegas & both Irri episodes twice and eat worms than watch Brain Storm again.

Beat that!

jelgate
February 11th, 2010, 12:18 PM
:eek: Heavens! Now that is saying something.

Now, what can I think of.....

I would rather watch all of SGU & Vegas & both Irri episodes twice and eat worms than watch Brain Storm again.

Beat that!

I rather watch Doctor Cheese then Vegas

Lythisrose
February 11th, 2010, 12:21 PM
That is interesting as I find Vegas to be Stargate's most unwatchable episode ever. I rather watch Irresponsible then Vegas

Since Vegas is my favorite episode ever, it isn't too surprising.
Vegas certainly inspires intense love or hate. :P

Blencathra
February 11th, 2010, 12:22 PM
:eek: Blasphemer!!! (Edit - Sorry, I meant Jel - not you Lythisrose :P)

But you must detest it to say that. :S

Are you sure I can't tempt you to watch one little bitty DW episode.....? Or Torchwood? Eh? Eh? ;)

CazzBlade
February 11th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Going with Jel's analogy, I rather watch Doctor Cheese than Brain Storm :S

Apart from a few exceptions (The Prodigal, Infection, parts of Remnants) I didn't like the back half of season 5. If thats them being creative, then I'd rather they didn't :P

jelgate
February 11th, 2010, 12:32 PM
:eek: Blasphemer!!! (Edit - Sorry, I meant Jel - not you Lythisrose :P)

But you must detest it to say that. :S

Are you sure I can't tempt you to watch one little bitty DW episode.....? Or Torchwood? Eh? Eh? ;)

No. I tried and hated the show.

While being a terrible episode I can actually survive through a rewatching of Brian Storm. I can't say the same for Vegas. It was so stupid

Falcon Horus
February 11th, 2010, 12:35 PM

What season did you watch? Or which episodes?

Linda06
February 11th, 2010, 12:37 PM

:lol: I'd rather sit through any reality show than watch Vegas or Brain storm or The Shrine :p

While being a terrible episode I can actually survive through a rewatching of Brian Storm. I can't say the same for Vegas. It was so stupid

Yes it was terribly bad. The worst ep in the entire franchise. Well for me anyways ;)

Linda06
February 11th, 2010, 12:38 PM

It couldn't have been the Doctor messing around saying "are you my mummy?" That was hilarious :lol:

jelgate
February 11th, 2010, 12:45 PM

5 episodes of whatever season SyFy first aired

Briangate78
February 11th, 2010, 12:53 PM

I agree, look at the back half of Season 4...

BAMSR
Spoils of War
Quarantine
Harmony
Outcast
Trio
Midway
Kindred Part 1
Kindred Part 2
The Last Man

The last 4 eps were amazing, above the bar, good quality eps. They were well received here on the internet forums.

The bolded were eps I could rewatch over and over again. Season 5 did not have as many enjoyable eps, it did have some great eps, but there were more duds than Season 4, imo.

Funny, Trio was on the other night, and it did not lose my interest once, even if it was a rewatch.

jelgate
February 11th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I agree, look at the back half of Season 4...

BAMSR
Spoils of War
Quarantine
Harmony
Outcast
Trio
Midway
Kindred Part 1
Kindred Part 2
The Last Man

The last 4 eps were amazing, above the bar, good quality eps. They were well received here on the internet forums.

The bolded were eps I could rewatch over and over again. Season 5 did not have as many enjoyable eps, it did have some great eps, but there were more duds than Season 4, imo.

Funny, Trio was on the other night, and it did not lose my interest once, even if it was a rewatch.

I could of done without Kindred II and The Last Man needed a little polishing but those minor compared to the attrocities of back S5.

Blencathra
February 11th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I feel rather sorry for the OP who rather liked the "back side" of Season 5. It was his first & only post too. We'll be frightening him away. :S

Briangate78
February 11th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I feel rather sorry for the OP who rather liked the "back side" of Season 5. It was his first & only post too. We'll be frightening him away. :S

The back half of Season 5 was good, but there had been better halves.

jelgate
February 11th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Probably should expect it if they are going spend time on GW. Arguements are a way of life here.

Except Linda because she forgets the arguements:P

Briangate78
February 11th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Probably should expect it if they are going spend time on GW. Arguements are a way of life here.

Who is Linda? :p :D

Falcon Horus
February 11th, 2010, 02:16 PM
It couldn't have been the Doctor messing around saying "are you my mummy?" That was hilarious :lol:

Especially when he does it again in The Sontaran Strategem (season 4) - great call-back. :p

5 episodes of whatever season SyFy first aired

Err... season 1 of the new Who... I don't know... *shrug*

jelgate
February 11th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Especially when he does it again in The Sontaran Strategem (season 4) - great call-back. :p

Err... season 1 of the new Who... I don't know... *shrug*

Probably. I honestly don't remember it was a few years ago. I remember it was the first time SyFy had aired the show and I found it dull and cheesey. Much like back S5 except their was no cheese

Falcon Horus
February 11th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Much like back S5 except their was no cheese

Just the holes. :p

Linda06
February 11th, 2010, 02:55 PM

*nods head* :D So....What were we arguing about again?

Who is Linda? :p :D

:mckay: *smacks dog with no breeks with a Lobster* :D

Yes it was..Just as well I didn't have anything to drink at the time, it would have been all over the place :eek: :p

Probably. I honestly don't remember it was a few years ago. I remember it was the first time SyFy had aired the show and I found it dull and cheesey. Much like back S5 except their was no cheese

Was it Christopher Ecclestone (sort of balding on top, he always wore a leather jacket) or David Tennant (Lanky Scots guy with dark hair, sort of spiky on top, he liked wearing converse boots)

Just the holes. :p

:lol:

Otomo
February 11th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I won't get scared away just cuz the majority of people didn't enjoy what I did. :) I really liked Brain Storm. haha.

However, I thought the finale was a little weak...I don't know, there could have been a little more buildup, though I can't complain as a lot seemed to have resolved there. Hopefully they'll make a movie or two.

jelgate
February 11th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I won't get scared away just cuz the majority of people didn't enjoy what I did. :) I really liked Brain Storm. haha.

However, I thought the finale was a little weak...I don't know, there could have been a little more buildup, though I can't complain as a lot seemed to have resolved there. Hopefully they'll make a movie or two.The finale was indeed rushed. They tried to do to much in 43 minutes that it made little sense. My solution was scrap Vegas and make it into two episodes. Some people have a problem with Atlantis on Earth. I'm fine with it

fumblesmcstupid
February 11th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I enjoyed 91% of season 1-4. There were a few duds in each season, well for me anyway.

Season 5 was just splattered with horrible episodes. .....well to me anyway. I was just shocked at the bad writing too. for me anyway.

The special effects in First Contact and in The Lost Tribe were awesom. Prodigal was cool. But that was the last episode I actally sat down and watched and enjoyed. I didn't bother with the last bit of the season.

This *MIGHT* be shocking to find out but.....I LOATH KELLER!! Her character *alone* ruined my enjoyment of the fifth season and Rodney being paired up with her ruined the back half of season 5 and (smacks my hands) *wriggles hands* ..........moving on now!

Replicator Todd
February 11th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I though the entirety of Season 5 was amazing, sure it wasn't as good as anything form previous seasons, but I still love rewatching the episodes and will continue to do so. :)

Falcon Horus
February 13th, 2010, 02:42 PM
This *MIGHT* be shocking to find out but.....I LOATH KELLER!!

*GASP* Noooooo.... :eek:

:p

lordofseas
February 17th, 2010, 06:34 PM
The finale was indeed rushed. They tried to do to much in 43 minutes that it made little sense. My solution was scrap Vegas and make it into two episodes. Some people have a problem with Atlantis on Earth. I'm fine with it

Vegas was "needed" to get Atlantis on Earth to set up for Extinction. However, that's just a stupid plotline that should never have been taken. My idea: Give "The Prodigal" the two parter in the middle, totally forget about the Asgard, give a sense of that the Wraith are building up to something throughout the back half, and have the final three episodes the Series Finale. There were so many wasted episodes.

I enjoyed 91% of season 1-4. There were a few duds in each season, well for me anyway.

Season 5 was just splattered with horrible episodes. .....well to me anyway. I was just shocked at the bad writing too. for me anyway.

The special effects in First Contact and in The Lost Tribe were awesom. Prodigal was cool. But that was the last episode I actally sat down and watched and enjoyed. I didn't bother with the last bit of the season.

This *MIGHT* be shocking to find out but.....I LOATH KELLER!! Her character *alone* ruined my enjoyment of the fifth season and Rodney being paired up with her ruined the back half of season 5 and (smacks my hands) *wriggles hands* ..........moving on now!

I liked Keller, but I hated what they did with the love triangle, and then dropping Ronon like a dud, then going on with Rodney, and then....

Linda06
February 18th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I liked Keller, but I hated what they did with the love triangle, and then dropping Ronon like a dud, then going on with Rodney, and then....

*sits on edge of seat with baited breath* And then? :p

jelgate
February 18th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Vegas was "needed" to get Atlantis on Earth to set up for Extinction. However, that's just a stupid plotline that should never have been taken. My idea: Give "The Prodigal" the two parter in the middle, totally forget about the Asgard, give a sense of that the Wraith are building up to something throughout the back half, and have the final three episodes the Series Finale. There were so many wasted episodes.

Not really. Rodney and Maj. Davis make reference to why the Wraith are doing such and such because of what they saw in the AU. Just making references to the AU is all that needed. With those reference I don't need to see Vegas to understand EATG

Lythisrose
February 19th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Not really. Rodney and Maj. Davis make reference to why the Wraith are doing such and such because of what they saw in the AU. Just making references to the AU is all that needed. With those reference I don't need to see Vegas to understand EATG

I agree, we didn't NEED Vegas. But I don't NEED chocolate either and I like it a lot.
If it had aired earlier in the season and not taken up a critical place at the end of the series, I think possibly people would have been more accepting of this episode.
As it is it seemed like each of the writers were given an ep to indulge their fantasies (Whispers for Mallozzi, Brainstorm for Gero, The Shrine for Wright and Vegas for Cooper).
In my view there are eps like Identity and Brainstorm that I would have gladly (GLADLY!) sacrificed to have the final eps be a two or three parter and make some sense out of the end of SGA.

magictrick
February 19th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Whether its the first half or back half of season 5, both were filled with weak episodes thus making the entire season not-so-good. The only creative aspect I found in the back-half of season 5 was Vegas, which I'm sure most people will agree - whether they liked the episode or not - that it was a totally different animal in terms of Stargate episodes. It was original, and thus creative so I agree with you there.

For me the only other episodes worth mentioning as somewhat memorable are Daedalus Variations, First Contact and Lost Tribe. The rest, in my opinion only of course, were either terrible (Identity, Brain Storm) or just forgettable (all others I haven't listed fall in this category :))

jelgate
February 19th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I agree, we didn't NEED Vegas. But I don't NEED chocolate either and I like it a lot.
If it had aired earlier in the season and not taken up a critical place at the end of the series, I think possibly people would have been more accepting of this episode.
As it is it seemed like each of the writers were given an ep to indulge their fantasies (Whispers for Mallozzi, Brainstorm for Gero, The Shrine for Wright and Vegas for Cooper).
In my view there are eps like Identity and Brainstorm that I would have gladly (GLADLY!) sacrificed to have the final eps be a two or three parter and make some sense out of the end of SGA.Despite how bad episodes like BrainStorm and Idenity are I can find some good in. Vegas is a very rare episode where its all bad. Thier is no redeeming quality for me.

Falcon Horus
February 19th, 2010, 11:39 AM
[Vegas]...that it was a totally different animal in terms of Stargate episodes. It was original, and thus creative so I agree with you there.

And it is right there where the problem lies with Vegas, for me (apart from yet again half the cast missing from the front and center)... it didn't fit in with the rest. It was the odd one out. It wasn't Stargate - it was a poor attempt at being something it was not (CSI in all his incarnations). It wasn't original (none of them are - point in fact before anyone complains about that) and it wasn't creative. It was a poor copy.

Maybe, like Lythisrose mentions already, if it hadn't been so far at the end it could have been liked more. Or if it had been a part of a much grander dare I say arc, it could have been liked more.

But it wasn't.

No, I'm sticking to it that Vegas was the ultimate fanfic. You take your favorite characters, surplant them in an entirely different world and situation, write it and post it on ff.net. No doubt, it would make it into the SG Fanfic Awards.

Lythisrose
February 19th, 2010, 01:35 PM
No, I'm sticking to it that Vegas was the ultimate fanfic. You take your favorite characters, surplant them in an entirely different world and situation, write it and post it on ff.net. No doubt, it would make it into the SG Fanfic Awards.

I'd vote for it! :P

lordofseas
February 20th, 2010, 12:19 PM

People would have called that a plot hole, because they didn't know what happened in the AU. No, just get rid of the idea of the Wraith going to Earth from information gathered from an AU. Stupid, stupid idea, that doesn't fit.

jelgate
February 20th, 2010, 12:59 PM
People would have called that a plot hole, because they didn't know what happened in the AU. No, just get rid of the idea of the Wraith going to Earth from information gathered from an AU. Stupid, stupid idea, that doesn't fit.

And they would have been wrong.

Parallel Reality
June 11th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I quite enjoyed the first half of s5 but the second half just seemed to lost the plot.
If you count the back half as "The Lost Tribe" and forwards then the only episodes I loved
were "The Lost Tribe" and "The Prodigal"
Vegas was ok, Remnants was ok, and Infection was ok. All the other episodes were just mediocre except for
Inquisition, which I hated.

Vanek26
June 11th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Vegas was an awesome episode, but it shouldn't have been the 19th. Maybe 15 or something.

Gamma626
June 14th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I'm a newcomer to SG. I'm almost done with my first watch of all of SGA. I watched Brain Storm last night and thought it was one of the best episodes of the season. I think it's because I don't have a 5 year week-to-week expectation.

Alan Wake
June 14th, 2010, 09:19 AM
has season 5 went on, the pace of the season kept gaining speed... until it finally reached the last few episodes where they tried to squeeze everything into 42 minute episodes to try and tie everything up.