PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactiva -Old vs. New Question

SBN
January 1st, 2005, 10:20 PM
What I gather from the new BSG is that the Cylons were artificial beings created by humans that rebelled. Now as the series starts after so many years the Cylons 'return' and attack the humans who of course have to flee in a bunch of ships blah blah blah.

I do not remember the old BSG, was this the same premise? I never paid much attention to the show but I always thought the Cylons were completely seperate or something, but then again that was over 20 years ago. Just got done watching the 2 hour premiere a little while ago and I must say I am really excited about this show.

Blue Banrigh
January 2nd, 2005, 12:34 AM
From what I understand the Cylons in the original series were the descendants/servants of a lizard like race also called the Cylons. Them lizard people upped and left leaving the Cylons. Having nothing better to do the Cylons waged a 1000 year war against the Colonials. The second time around they managed wipe out everything except for the Galactica, the Pegasus and a handful of other ships.

SaberBlade
January 2nd, 2005, 04:49 AM
in the original BS, it wasn't until the colonies helped the hassarians, a species who lived near the colonies that the cylons turned their attention to humans. it was because they helped the hassarians take back their world (if i remember right) that they cylons decided to start a war with humans (1000 years ago) while in the new one (as you said), they were created by humans, rebelled and decided to destroy their creators only for them to vanish for 20 odd years only to return again and finish what they started

DownFallAngel
January 2nd, 2005, 10:41 AM
It was forty years not twenty, in the new series.

And yes, the BSG(O)'s Cylons were once servants of lizard people or something. No-one really knows. Many speculate, that the lizard people became cyborgs, or something, and then just became the robot Cylons that we all love to hate. Many also speculate that the Cylons were once servants of these lizard people, who either mysteriously died off, or left the known Kobol galaxy for unknown reasons.

It really isn't clear. Glen A Larson probably had an idea as to what he wanted them to be, but probably never got around to it, as the old series was cancelled after one season.

In the new series, the Cylons were a race of robots created to do mans bidding. The twelve colonies soon went to war with each other, and after a while they relized that they shouldn't be sending men into war, so they sent the Cylons. The Cylons soon gained a bit of intellegence and rebelled, and started killing man, and all the Cylons unified under one goal, to kill all humans. The Human created battlestars and what not, to fight off the Cylons, and 40 years later, after the Humans won the Cylon Wars, the Cylons have come back, destroyed the 12 Colonies Of Kobol, and are searching for the Galactica and it's rag tag fleet, in the uncharted areas of space.

SBN
January 2nd, 2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the info, interesting to hear the background of the original series. With that in mind I really find the new BSG storyline even better that they did not stick too much to the original.

David85
January 2nd, 2005, 11:22 AM
When is Sci-Fi going to reshow the new BG mini series?

SBN
January 2nd, 2005, 11:41 AM
They have been advertising January 14th, although UK has already run I believe 8-9 eps

DownFallAngel
January 2nd, 2005, 12:59 PM
When is Sci-Fi going to reshow the new BG mini series?

Well right now its out on DVD, but the air time on the scifi channel should be sometime before the 14th, when the Lowdown and the premiere air.

01/11/2005 09:00 PM ORIGINAL MINISERIES BATTLESTAR GALACTICA PART 1
01/12/2005 07:00 PM ORIGINAL MINISERIES BATTLESTAR GALACTICA PART 1
01/12/2005 09:00 PM ORIGINAL MINISERIES BATTLESTAR GALACTICA PART 2
01/14/2005 08:30 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE SERIES LOWDOWN BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE SERIES LOWDOWN
01/14/2005 09:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA 33/WATER
01/14/2005 11:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE SERIES LOWDOWN BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE SERIES LOWDOWN
01/14/2005 11:30 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA 33/WATER
01/16/2005 03:00 PM ORIGINAL MINISERIES BATTLESTAR GALACTICA PART 1 & 2 - 4 HOUR VERSION
01/16/2005 07:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA 33/WATER
01/16/2005 05:30 AM BATTLESTAR GALCACTICA: PROPAGANDA & WAR C PROPAGANDA & WAR
01/17/2005 04:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA 33/WATER
01/18/2005 01:00 AM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA 33
01/19/2005 02:00 AM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA WATER
01/21/2005 10:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA BASTILLE DAY
01/21/2005 01:00 AM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA BASTILLE DAY
01/23/2005 05:30 AM BATTLESTAR GALCACTICA: PROPAGANDA & WAR C PROPAGANDA & WAR
01/24/2005 10:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA BASTILLE DAY
01/28/2005 10:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA ACT OF CONTRITION
01/28/2005 01:00 AM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA ACT OF CONTRITION
01/31/2005 10:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA ACT OF CONTRITION

David85
January 2nd, 2005, 02:17 PM
Thank you. I didn't bother watching because I thought it wasn't going to be picked up, and I thought it would be crap, but people seem to like it and I'll see if I like it.

DownFallAngel
January 2nd, 2005, 06:28 PM
Thank you. I didn't bother watching because I thought it wasn't going to be picked up, and I thought it would be crap, but people seem to like it and I'll see if I like it.

Definately give it a try, I think its the best thing since like, StarGate.

David85
January 2nd, 2005, 06:53 PM
Definately give it a try, I think its the best thing since like, StarGate.

Like that is saying much. lol

The best Sci-Fi series started and ended since Stargate too. :(

LordAnubis
January 3rd, 2005, 06:43 AM
What I gather from the new BSG is that the Cylons were artificial beings created by humans that rebelled. Now as the series starts after so many years the Cylons 'return' and attack the humans who of course have to flee in a bunch of ships blah blah blah.

I do not remember the old BSG, was this the same premise? I never paid much attention to the show but I always thought the Cylons were completely seperate or something, but then again that was over 20 years ago. Just got done watching the 2 hour premiere a little while ago and I must say I am really excited about this show.
In the original, which I think has a better plot, the Cylons were sorta like the Borg; they started off as an organic race of beings who desired to become "perfect". Perfection was achieved through cybernetic enhancements and later, robotic dupilcation. They were originally a race of reptiles and were ruthless warriors. The Imperious Leader helped convert them from reptilians, who were quite advanced, to their biomechanical or robotic forms. I'm not sure how long this took, but after they became "Cylons", they decided to help other flawed biological lifeforms by eliminating them, thus creating true inorganic perfection.

In the original, the Cylons had advanced space-travel capacity technology long before the 13 tribes had advanced to even primitive technology. The humans did not create the Cylons. Personally, I don't like the fact that the humans created the Cylons in the new series; it's not a good plot device at all, IMO. I didn't care for the mini-series last year, so I might watch it since it's on Fridays with SG-1 and Atlantis.

You know what really sucks? Now SG-1 conflicts with Enterprise on Fridays! :(

SBN
January 3rd, 2005, 07:24 AM
I think the one thing people will either love or hate is the way action is filmed. They do it in a way as if there is someone following live with a hand held camera up close, as opposed to the wide angel view seen on most other shows. At times I found it somewhat annoying. Also, during a lot of action scenes, especially in space (or maybe just all in space) they tend to for go traditional action music for drums which is interesting at least. It is at least worth viewing for a few eps. I myself was completely not interested at all in the mini-series that had out last year. But recently saw that and the first few eps and my opinion has changed some. There is a lot of suspense in the show.

DOIKECARTER
January 3rd, 2005, 08:49 AM
It´s been a few months after my last post in gateforum. I´ve found a new show to fall for instead of SG-1....BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. It´s dark and that´s refreshing. The cast is great and it is fabulous. All of them, especially Mary mcDonnell and Jamie Bamber. It´s intriguing because there are no easy endings, no happy endings. That´s refreshing too. The series rythm is faster because there is nothing left to be explained. Everything was in the miniseries. We know the characters. The promo was great too.

I highly recommend it....One advice. Don´t waste a minute comparing it the the old one. There is no point. The story is the same and different and it is VERY good.

SBN
January 3rd, 2005, 01:00 PM
I highly recommend it....One advice. Don´t waste a minute comparing it the the old one. There is no point. The story is the same and different and it is VERY good.

Excellent point to make, this show is completely different from the series that ran over 20 years ago. I myself was not a fan of the original at all, and if anyone else felt the same don't hold off on this series.

Also, DOIKECARTER said about everything being introduced in the mini-series is important. It is highly advisable to watch the mini series as otherwise you will most likely be lost.

Personally, this is how I always thought the first BSG should have been.

Dahak
January 3rd, 2005, 04:15 PM
Well I am not so sure that the Cylons as former slaves, servants, machines or whatever is an improvement. But what bugged the most is that everyone seemed too happy in the original show. Like they were all on Prozac or something. No one really seemed that upset about the deaths of 99% of the human race and that they had a good chance of being killed. They mainly seemed to gamble and throw really weak raves. Hopefully the new show can make it more realistic without going overboard into the morbid we are all going to die attitude. Oh and please for the love of all that is holy no Muffie or whatever that annoying dog/bear/robot thing was Boxie is bad enough.

SBN
January 3rd, 2005, 05:02 PM
Well I am not so sure that the Cylons as former slaves, servants, machines or whatever is an improvement. But what bugged the most is that everyone seemed too happy in the original show. Like they were all on Prozac or something. No one really seemed that upset about the deaths of 99% of the human race and that they had a good chance of being killed. They mainly seemed to gamble and throw really weak raves. Hopefully the new show can make it more realistic without going overboard into the morbid we are all going to die attitude. Oh and please for the love of all that is holy no Muffie or whatever that annoying dog/bear/robot thing was Boxie is bad enough.

Kind of took the words right out of my mind, that was my feeling for the original show, but sense there are still a lot of fans of the original I was afraid to say anything for fear of banishment to Green Bay Wisconsin (Minnesota person here). I was quite young when the original showed but even then I thought something was wrong with the facing death with a smile attitude. Lets face it, the original BSG came out on the coat-tail of Star Wars craze.

DownFallAngel
January 3rd, 2005, 07:26 PM
Kind of took the words right out of my mind, that was my feeling for the original show, but sense there are still a lot of fans of the original I was afraid to say anything for fear of banishment to Green Bay Wisconsin (Minnesota person here). I was quite young when the original showed but even then I thought something was wrong with the facing death with a smile attitude. Lets face it, the original BSG came out on the coat-tail of Star Wars craze.

Well, actually BSG was created about 5 years before the star wars craze. ABC shot it down, deeming it to 'spacey' or something. When Star Wars came out, ABC saw the massive success of a space opera, and wante done of their own. BSG was then called up, and set into motion.

So technically, BSG came first on paper and presentation, but was put to film second.

LordAnubis
January 3rd, 2005, 08:22 PM
The original was one of those campy, yet visual 70s shows like Buck Rogers and the Six Million Dollar Man (all Glen A. Larson productions, BTW). It wasn't meant to be dark and foreboding like the new series was.

However, the Cylons were never slaves and they certainly weren't created by the humans. In the new series, the Cylons are an uppity rebellious child who rebels against its creators in a similar fashion to I, Robot; Matrix; and Terminator -- machines get smart and fight back/take over. This is an overdone premise and would add more mystique and intrigue had it stuck to its original Cylons as aliens turned into machines by their own design plot device.

Dahak
January 3rd, 2005, 10:51 PM
The original was one of those campy, yet visual 70s shows like Buck Rogers and the Six Million Dollar Man (all Glen A. Larson productions, BTW). It wasn't meant to be dark and foreboding like the new series was.

However, the Cylons were never slaves and they certainly weren't created by the humans. In the new series, the Cylons are an uppity rebellious child who rebels against its creators in a similar fashion to I, Robot; Matrix; and Terminator -- machines get smart and fight back/take over. This is an overdone premise and would add more mystique and intrigue had it stuck to its original Cylons as aliens turned into machines by their own design plot device.

Sorry, that I said it the wrong way. The original Cylon's origins had nothing to do with humans that's true. The new Cylons were servants or slaves to the humans depending on your POV. I also agree that it is an old plot device that they could have done better.

DownFallAngel
January 4th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Sorry, that I said it the wrong way. The original Cylon's origins had nothing to do with humans that's true. The new Cylons were servants or slaves to the humans depending on your POV. I also agree that it is an old plot device that they could have done better.

Did you really want to see lizard people? I think if they had gone with the whole lizard under the metal thing, then they would want a Xinid-Reptilian look, which just happens to be ST:E. I think they would get bashed for that, which would kill their ratings. I think this new idea is pretty good, and so far the series looks awesome.

Madeleine
January 4th, 2005, 09:51 PM
I like the new cylons being made by humans. It adds nothing to the humans' story (they were not responsible, their grandparents were) but it's an interesting dimension for the cylons, especially in conjunction with their apparent religious faith.

Dahak
January 5th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Did you really want to see lizard people? I think if they had gone with the whole lizard under the metal thing, then they would want a Xinid-Reptilian look, which just happens to be ST:E. I think they would get bashed for that, which would kill their ratings. I think this new idea is pretty good, and so far the series looks awesome.

Did I say anything like that at all? First please reread the post I responded too. No the lizards under metal would be lame I agree. But the evil robots overthrowing their masters has been done to death or do you disagree?

LordAnubis
January 5th, 2005, 07:09 AM
What are you talking about? I said in the original series, the Cylons started off as organic beings, reptilian aliens (which does not necessarily mean lizard; it could be snake-like, crocodilian, or anything since it's alien life), and in their long quest to become perfect beings, like the Borg, they pursued a path of cybernetics and then full robotics. They downloaded their consciousness into machines, similar to what the Asgard do when they clone new bodies, only in robotic bodies.

They are NOT reptilians underneath metal costumes. Your comment is pointless. My point was that they were a much older race than humans and their quest for perfection is what drove them to hate all things organic. They were an alien race; they were not the products of human ingenuity as they are portrayed in the new series. IMO, this new twist is not a good thing. I liked the fact that the Cylons from the original series were somewhat mysterious with very mysterious origins. In fact, they held their biological origins as a tight secret; it was an embarassment for them to admit they were once flesh and blood like humans.

This "new" plot device of them being made by humans is similar to the Matrix, I Robot, Terminator, AI (to some extent), and even Bicentennial Man insofar as man creates machine and the machine becomes self aware (and in the case of the first three movies) and then machine rebels and takes over or attempts to take over. In AI and Bicentennial Man, the self aware machines only seek to be "normal humans", whereas in Matrix, Terminator, and I Robot, the machines seek to cleanse the world of the human infection; or to protect man from himself, etc. This is the idea with Cylons.

In fact, it's even like the Planet of the Apes sequels. In the sequels to the PoA, our pets die off due to some mysterious bug. We start domesticating orangs, chimps, and gorillas. First they become our pets, then we train them to do domestic work, and after some genetic engineering, we make them smarter. One day, they rebel (under the leadership of an intelligent chimp who was the offspring of apes from the future) and take over. In short, we created our own demise; we created the instrument of our own destruction. In BSG (new), we create Cylons to do our dirty work. One day, they become self aware and then they leave to become their own peeps, then return to destroy us.

And you talk about ripoffs?

Also, your comment about reptilian aliens being a ripoff of the Xindi reptilians? You're human and you're also a mammal. If I created a mammalian species, such as some kind of evolved canid or felid, does that mean I'm copying humans? Is a Vulcan a ripoff of a Klingon (both of whom appear to be mammals with hair)? No. Just because a Xindi is a reptile doesn't mean the Cylons were of the same type? From what I recall, the Cylons were nocturnal carnivorous snake-like reptilians with arms/legs. By snake-like, I mean they were slender and tall and had some snake-like mannerisms (from what I read about their history). This doesn't sound consistent with the Xindi or other reptilians (Unas, V aliens, Enemy Mine aliens, Serrakin, Narn, etc.).

LordAnubis
January 5th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Did I say anything like that at all? First please reread the post I responded too. No the lizards under metal would be lame I agree. But the evil robots overthrowing their masters has been done to death or do you disagree?
He obviously missed both of our points. No one said anything about lizards under metal. I think he should re-read our posts and then digest the information and try to make sense out of it. Our points are valid and have merit, whereas his comment was unsubstantiated and off-point.

DownFallAngel
January 5th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Ok, calm down. The point I was making, is in response to Dahak's: 'I also agree that it is an old plot device that they could have done better.'

I was asking, if he\she wanted to go back to the old Cylon story of 'What are they under-neathe that metal? Are they reptiles or something?' You two totally missed my point, of saying that if they were to go down that road, they would get reptilians like ST:E's Xindi-Reptilian species.

I then said that it would be both stupid and pointless to do that, that the show would get bashed for doing such a stupid act, and that this 'new' plot device is better.

Yes I know about Terminator I and II (I don't count III because it went against everything James Cameron created in the first two movies). Yes I know about the Matrix Trilogy. I know its not the freshest idea in the whole scifi genre, but its better than these reptiles who maybe wanted perfection. Who maybe wanted to have some organic parts, some cybernetic parts. Who maybe were following another path, a la the BORG.

Ronald D. Moore specifically stated that he did NOT want that to happen. (In the Lowdown/DVD Commentary). He felt that this left way to many plot holes. He did not also want to have stupid looking reptiles and stupid looking box like Cylons, running around the set. This 'newer' plot device was used inorder to fill alot of the plot holes in the miniseries, that the ORIGINAL series created.

You two completely misunderstood what I said, and did not even bother to ask me what I was talking about. Instead you two were idiots, and double teamed me, and made yourselves looks like asses.

@Dahak: I don't disagree that it was been over done. We saw alot of it in The Matrix Trilogy. We only saw glimpses of it in the Terminator I and II films, as they were flash fowards, of a possible future. If done right, this series could take it and make it work.

The genocide idea was done in the Terminator films, but was always prevented one way or another. (Except in the futures.)

In both series, man became the slave and robots ruled with an iron fist. (Terminator they were used in concentration camps and in the Matrix, they were batteries.) In this series, the Cylons are like, '**** it.' All they care about is destroying the humans, no matter what the cost. And no matter how long it takes, they will accomplish their goals, one way or another.

TK 1401
January 5th, 2005, 12:46 PM
I have to say I like both the old and the new one.

Like somebody said before you can't compare them. The original series was in a way like a fairy tale with all those nice and perfect characters and almost everything had a good ending. I loved to watch it as a child and today I have bought the DVDs and enjoy watching it.

But the new BSG is a little bit more like real life for me. The characters appear to be more realistic and more like the modern man. They have problems today's ordinary people are having too.
Moreover the way it is filmed is extraordinary to, at least you can say it is different from all those mainstream-sci-fi-shows.

LordAnubis
January 5th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Ok, calm down. The point I was making, is in response to Dahak's: 'I also agree that it is an old plot device that they could have done better.'

I was asking, if he\she wanted to go back to the old Cylon story of 'What are they under-neathe that metal? Are they reptiles or something?' You two totally missed my point, of saying that if they were to go down that road, they would get reptilians like ST:E's Xindi-Reptilian species.

I then said that it would be both stupid and pointless to do that, that the show would get bashed for doing such a stupid act, and that this 'new' plot device is better.

Yes I know about Terminator I and II (I don't count III because it went against everything James Cameron created in the first two movies). Yes I know about the Matrix Trilogy. I know its not the freshest idea in the whole scifi genre, but its better than these reptiles who maybe wanted perfection. Who maybe wanted to have some organic parts, some cybernetic parts. Who maybe were following another path, a la the BORG.

Ronald D. Moore specifically stated that he did NOT want that to happen. (In the Lowdown/DVD Commentary). He felt that this left way to many plot holes. He did not also want to have stupid looking reptiles and stupid looking box like Cylons, running around the set. This 'newer' plot device was used inorder to fill alot of the plot holes in the miniseries, that the ORIGINAL series created.

You two completely misunderstood what I said, and did not even bother to ask me what I was talking about. Instead you two were idiots, and double teamed me, and made yourselves looks like asses.

@Dahak: I don't disagree that it was been over done. We saw alot of it in The Matrix Trilogy. We only saw glimpses of it in the Terminator I and II films, as they were flash fowards, of a possible future. If done right, this series could take it and make it work.

The genocide idea was done in the Terminator films, but was always prevented one way or another. (Except in the futures.)

In both series, man became the slave and robots ruled with an iron fist. (Terminator they were used in concentration camps and in the Matrix, they were batteries.) In this series, the Cylons are like, '**** it.' All they care about is destroying the humans, no matter what the cost. And no matter how long it takes, they will accomplish their goals, one way or another.
I'm an idiot? Is there a need to call names here? Is this mature? You tell me to calm down and say I made myself look like an ass, yet you're the angry one who made yourself look bad by calling people names and taking things out of context.

You need to think about your post and maybe do some editing or erasing there dude. That was simply out of line.

You made some good points, but you're getting hung up on the reptile thing. The point was, the core essense, the key point, to the Cylon history was the fact that they were this mysterious race of aliens, whether they were reptiles or birds or fish or animated feces is irrelevant -- they were aliens who were flesh and blood and somehow managed to end up robotic. Not all of them were boxy metaloids -- some were quite sleek, like Imperious Leader and Lucifer, while others looked humanoid. The point I was making was that they started off as an alien race, not all that unlike humans, and ended up machines. We had nothing to do with their creation; they had everything to do with our possible destruction.

You're hung up on the reptilian part. Forget it. They could be any kind of organic being who became machine-like. Is this a copy of the Borg? Sorta, but not really. Remember the Borg emerged back in 1991, whereas the Cylon idea originated back in what, 1975 or 1978? Something like that. I know I wasn't even born when the original was on. What idea is more original then? The Cylons are UNLIKE the Borg in many ways, so any similarity ends at a superficial level.

HOWEVER, this whole MAN made machine that turns bad and kills man idea has been used sooo many times that it is definitely not original -- especially in the wake of the Matrix and I Robot movies. You keep harping on the Xindi reptilians. Who the hell cares about that? What's more copyish -- reptilian aliens (and they could look vastly different from Xindi) or man-making-machine-who-becomes-selfaware-and-tries-to-destroy-creator/man?

Plot holes created by organic aliens turned into machines? What the hell are you talking about? What plot holes? The backstory is only partially relevant, dude. The war is the focus. Ultimately, who cares whether they started of as green scaly things with fangs and slit pupils or as amoebas -- they're picking off humanity now, and that's all that's relevant. However, it adds mystery and intrigue to have them alien, not man-made.

Plus, be real here, if we made the Cylons, we'd have a good idea how to destroy them; we'd know their weaknesses and flaws. Dr. Baltar would be able to use those flaws to eventually destroy them despite their so-called sentient evolution. To them, we are God; we are their creator.

Take your Xanax, leave this thread until you cleared your head, and then come back and think about the points we made. Like I said, you made valid points, and since the decision was made over a year ago, and the new Cylons are Terminators and Matrix clones, it's pointless. However, Dahlak and I made valid points too. Also, don't call me an idiot ever again. That was not cool.

DownFallAngel
January 5th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I'm an idiot? Is there a need to call names here? Is this mature? You tell me to calm down and say I made myself look like an ass, yet you're the angry one who made yourself look bad by calling people names and taking things out of context.

You need to think about your post and maybe do some editing or erasing there dude. That was simply out of line.

Just because you didn't understand isn't my fault. Then I go and tell you my points, and you still act like a jerk? You're an ass. And I wasn't getting angry. I'm still not angry. Its not my fault you can't comprehend what other people say. Sorry it confused you? Stop the bashing and lets get back on track.

You made some good points, but you're getting hung up on the reptile thing. The point was, the core essense, the key point, to the Cylon history was the fact that they were this mysterious race of aliens, whether they were reptiles or birds or fish or animated feces is irrelevant -- they were aliens who were flesh and blood and somehow managed to end up robotic. Not all of them were boxy metaloids -- some were quite sleek, like Imperious Leader and Lucifer, while others looked humanoid. The point I was making was that they started off as an alien race, not all that unlike humans, and ended up machines. We had nothing to do with their creation; they had everything to do with our possible destruction.

I remeber Lucifer. He wasn't that cool looking. He was in essence a robot built by robots. I doubt he was anything else. As for the Imperious Leader, wasn't he just a gold Cylon?

I hated their mystery. I found it rather annoying. (I just finished watching the Season One boxset for the 1970's version, being born in 87 myself.) I found the older Cylons to be as Batlar stated 'walking chrome toasters'. They were horrible shots, and had nothing but boxes and metal pans hitting metal pans for sounds. They were bumbling idiots, who really had no motive in the original series.

Cylon1: 'Hey, look over there, 12 worls inhabitited by humans.'
Cylon2: 'Lets go attack it for no reason!'

What type of direction is that?!

You're hung up on the reptilian part. Forget it. They could be any kind of organic being who became machine-like. Is this a copy of the Borg? Sorta, but not really. Remember the Borg emerged back in 1991, whereas the Cylon idea originated back in what, 1975 or 1978? Something like that. I know I wasn't even born when the original was on. What idea is more original then? The Cylons are UNLIKE the Borg in many ways, so any similarity ends at a superficial level.

The BORG and the Cylons are on two opposite ends of the spectrum. The BORG WERE FIRST. The Cylons were only thought to be cyborgs, or reptilian/creatures with parts added on. The only thing they have in common is that they both want humanity dead. I beleive the borg is a more original idea, and doing the Cylons in the wake of the borg would be a bad plot device. Having them evolve over time into death machines, is a way better plot, and will help carry the series more.

If you had something like the BORG, it would turn into VOYAGER. Lone starship in space, looking for earth, with enemies right on their asses.

HOWEVER, this whole MAN made machine that turns bad and kills man idea has been used sooo many times that it is definitely not original -- especially in the wake of the Matrix and I Robot movies.

But has it ever been done in a tv series? And has it ever been widely accepted?

You keep harping on the Xindi reptilians. Who the hell cares about that? What's more copyish -- reptilian aliens (and they could look vastly different from Xindi) or man-making-machine-who-becomes-selfaware-and-tries-to-destroy-creator/man?

Of course man creating machines that rebel against man is some what copy-ish, but what is going to draw in viewers and sponsors? Reptiles walking around in silver cardboard boxes, or sleek machines that want to kill people?

Plot holes created by organic aliens turned into machines? What the hell are you talking about? What plot holes? The backstory is only partially relevant, dude. The war is the focus. Ultimately, who cares whether they started of as green scaly things with fangs and slit pupils or as amoebas -- they're picking off humanity now, and that's all that's relevant. However, it adds mystery and intrigue to have them alien, not man-made.

I care about the backstory. I want to know where they came from and what are their motives. Having them being these robot boxes, that want to kill things for unknown reasons is stupid in this day and age. It might have worked in the 1970s, but not in the 21 century.

Having them being robots that need to kill humans to feel superior to their former masters, is a much better back story. It leaves no plotholes, like where did they comes from? The twelve colonies. Who created them? The twelve colonies. Why are they chasing/killing humans? Thw twelve colonies used the cylons in a horrific way, and now the cylons want payback for being abused.

Plus, be real here, if we made the Cylons, we'd have a good idea how to destroy them; we'd know their weaknesses and flaws. Dr. Baltar would be able to use those flaws to eventually destroy them despite their so-called sentient evolution. To them, we are God; we are their creator.

We were never God to them. We were always just their master. And being said masters, we wrongfully used them, to fight our wars. We were wrong and now we have to live up to the consequences of our actions.

Also, Baltar is not to be trusted. As of now, he is being manipulated by Six. We also, do not know of any weaknesses in the Cylons. All we know about their 'weaknesses' is that the ion storm that surounds Ragnar potentally traps their souls inside that vessel. Other than that, we know nothing.

Take your Xanax, leave this thread until you cleared your head, and then come back and think about the points we made. Like I said, you made valid points, and since the decision was made over a year ago, and the new Cylons are Terminators and Matrix clones, it's pointless. However, Dahlak and I made valid points too. Also, don't call me an idiot ever again. That was not cool.

Stop with the bashing, and stop crying. Lets keep on topic.

LordAnubis
January 5th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Just because you didn't understand isn't my fault. Then I go and tell you my points, and you still act like a jerk? You're an ass. And I wasn't getting angry. I'm still not angry. Its not my fault you can't comprehend what other people say. Sorry it confused you? Stop the bashing and lets get back on track.

I remeber Lucifer. He wasn't that cool looking. He was in essence a robot built by robots. I doubt he was anything else. As for the Imperious Leader, wasn't he just a gold Cylon?

I hated their mystery. I found it rather annoying. (I just finished watching the Season One boxset for the 1970's version, being born in 87 myself.) I found the older Cylons to be as Batlar stated 'walking chrome toasters'. They were horrible shots, and had nothing but boxes and metal pans hitting metal pans for sounds. They were bumbling idiots, who really had no motive in the original series.

Cylon1: 'Hey, look over there, 12 worls inhabitited by humans.'
Cylon2: 'Lets go attack it for no reason!'

What type of direction is that?!

The BORG and the Cylons are on two opposite ends of the spectrum. The BORG WERE FIRST. The Cylons were only thought to be cyborgs, or reptilian/creatures with parts added on. The only thing they have in common is that they both want humanity dead. I beleive the borg is a more original idea, and doing the Cylons in the wake of the borg would be a bad plot device. Having them evolve over time into death machines, is a way better plot, and will help carry the series more.

If you had something like the BORG, it would turn into VOYAGER. Lone starship in space, looking for earth, with enemies right on their asses.

But has it ever been done in a tv series? And has it ever been widely accepted?

Of course man creating machines that rebel against man is some what copy-ish, but what is going to draw in viewers and sponsors? Reptiles walking around in silver cardboard boxes, or sleek machines that want to kill people?

I care about the backstory. I want to know where they came from and what are their motives. Having them being these robot boxes, that want to kill things for unknown reasons is stupid in this day and age. It might have worked in the 1970s, but not in the 21 century.

Having them being robots that need to kill humans to feel superior to their former masters, is a much better back story. It leaves no plotholes, like where did they comes from? The twelve colonies. Who created them? The twelve colonies. Why are they chasing/killing humans? Thw twelve colonies used the cylons in a horrific way, and now the cylons want payback for being abused.

We were never God to them. We were always just their master. And being said masters, we wrongfully used them, to fight our wars. We were wrong and now we have to live up to the consequences of our actions.

Also, Baltar is not to be trusted. As of now, he is being manipulated by Six. We also, do not know of any weaknesses in the Cylons. All we know about their 'weaknesses' is that the ion storm that surounds Ragnar potentally traps their souls inside that vessel. Other than that, we know nothing.

Stop with the bashing, and stop crying. Lets keep on topic.

I'm sorry dude. I'm sorry if I offended you. You made some valid points man and I was an ass. I'm sorry :(

Please forgive me and dont think I'm an ass or that Im an idiot :(

Jared

DownFallAngel
January 5th, 2005, 03:12 PM
First off, I'm not the one who couldn't kindly ask 'What do you mean by Reptilian blah blah blah.' I'm not the one who went and made a big speech and said I was off topic and what not. Because, I wasn't.

Second, I don't care how long I've been here. I come here, talk about scifi, talk about sg1/sga, star trek, whatever. I fankly don't care about my reputation points. Its not like it's going to have a huge influence on my real life.

Third, I called you an ass for the simple reason of I tried to burry the hatchet, and yet you keep going on and on.

Also, your pilot for a new stargat series needs some fine tuning. I don't know anyone who would want to watch that show, seeing as how it has no correlation to the present universe. I understand that you are trying to make it seem like a comparison between the 70 BSG and the 05 BSG, but they are not.

If anything, it would be something along the lines of O'Niell was a chick, Daniel had a brother that was killed, Hammand is Daniel's father, and Carter is carter, but now smokes cigars, a whole lot of them. Also, the show would be more along the lines the Goa'uld have unified into one race, and are attacking Earth, who had unified under one flag, and spread themselves out across the galaxy. The Goa'uld attacked their outposts, and are now gunning for Earth.

LordAnubis
January 5th, 2005, 03:15 PM
First off, I'm not the one who couldn't kindly ask 'What do you mean by Reptilian blah blah blah.' I'm not the one who went and made a big speech and said I was off topic and what not. Because, I wasn't.

Second, I don't care how long I've been here. I come here, talk about scifi, talk about sg1/sga, star trek, whatever. I fankly don't care about my reputation points. Its not like it's going to have a huge influence on my real life.

Third, I called you an ass for the simple reason of I tried to burry the hatchet, and yet you keep going on and on.

Also, your pilot for a new stargat series needs some fine tuning. I don't know anyone who would want to watch that show, seeing as how it has no correlation to the present universe. I understand that you are trying to make it seem like a comparison between the 70 BSG and the 05 BSG, but they are not.

If anything, it would be something along the lines of O'Niell was a chick, Daniel had a brother that was killed, Hammand is Daniel's father, and Carter is carter, but now smokes cigars, a whole lot of them. Also, the show would be more along the lines the Goa'uld have unified into one race, and are attacking Earth, who had unified under one flag, and spread themselves out across the galaxy. The Goa'uld attacked their outposts, and are now gunning for Earth.

Dun be hatin', not worth the energy. <hugs>
Smile and be kewl, let's drop this and not let it get outta hand, k?

Sorry, and I mean it too....

Jared

Dahak
January 5th, 2005, 05:20 PM
I still don't think that slaves rebel and turn evil is the best idea. Since we know that the Cylons were made by humans there is no quesitons about their origins. Yes the original was kind of annoying that it never told us but it was only on what 1 and half seasons right? I doubt this show is going to have a lot of gambling subplots ( I really got tired of those) so they will eventually need to have more than the basic Cylons are chasing us plots.
If they would have kept the Cylon's origins secret at first then they could have episodes where the higher cast of robots are taking orders from hidden beings and then eventually (within the first season) they are introduced.
But as long as the show keeps Boxie to a minimum, no annoying mechanical bears, and has more than 5 stock fighter scenes spliced together it should be pretty good. The basic plot is sound and if they can figure out how to keep the balance between the fleeing humans and the chasing Cylons believeable.

DownFallAngel
January 5th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Dun be hatin', not worth the energy. <hugs>
Smile and be kewl, let's drop this and not let it get outta hand, k?

Sorry, and I mean it too....

Jared

Please replcae this post with the former smile. Thanks. Appreciated.

And yes, all those damn subplots from the original got way out of hand. Right now the only few I've seen from the miniseries is male vs female capabilities, chain of command internal struggles, and religion.

greytop
January 5th, 2005, 09:30 PM
It starts a week from Friday on Scifi, in the US, and I can't wait. I like the old series and I would like to compare it but I will keep an open mind with the new one.

DFA, I like your sig.

Xzyl
January 6th, 2005, 12:17 AM
In the original series Apollo explains the origin of the Cylons to Boxey in the third hour of the pilot as:

"They're not like us. They're machines created by living creatures a long, long time ago... a race of reptiles called Cylons. After a while the Cylons discovered humans were the most practical form of creature in this system. So they copied our bodies, but they built them bigger and stronger than we are. And they can exchange parts so they can live forever... There are no more real Cylons. They died off thousands of yahrens ago, leaving behind a race of super-machines, but we still call them Cylons."

However it is never explained how Apollo and the other colonials could have gotten this knowledge.

The explanation of fate of the Cylon species is crypticly given in a conversation Baltar has with Count Ilbis in the episode War of the Gods (dont you think that would make for a great SG-1 episode title?).

Baltar: I know you.
Iblis: Do you?
Baltar: I remember that voice, the voice of the Cylon Imperious Leader.
Iblis: The Cylon is a machine.
Baltar: Now. But once they were a race of beings who allowed themselves to be overcome by their own technology.
Iblis: And when did this happen?
Baltar: A thousand yahrens ago, at the onset of the thousand yahren war against the humans.
Iblis: And for my voice to be the voice of Imperious Leader, it would have to be transcribed into machine leader a thousand yahrens ago. I'd have to be a thousand yahrens old.

The interpretation of 'allowed' and 'overcome' is at the crux of the argument of wether their technology turned on them or if they became their technology.

The golden cylons were just command centurions, basicly the commanding officer of a base or ship, not the Imperious leader.

This is what the Imperious Leader looked like, and what the cylon species was supposed to lool like.
http://staff.bus.bton.ac.uk/fesg/bsg/imgs_pics/race_Imperiousleader.jpg

LordAnubis
January 6th, 2005, 09:45 AM
In the original series Apollo explains the origin of the Cylons to Boxey in the third hour of the pilot as:

"They're not like us. They're machines created by living creatures a long, long time ago... a race of reptiles called Cylons. After a while the Cylons discovered humans were the most practical form of creature in this system. So they copied our bodies, but they built them bigger and stronger than we are. And they can exchange parts so they can live forever... There are no more real Cylons. They died off thousands of yahrens ago, leaving behind a race of super-machines, but we still call them Cylons."

However it is never explained how Apollo and the other colonials could have gotten this knowledge.

The explanation of fate of the Cylon species is crypticly given in a conversation Baltar has with Count Ilbis in the episode War of the Gods (dont you think that would make for a great SG-1 episode title?).

Baltar: Now. But once they were a race of beings who allowed themselves to be overcome by their own technology.
Baltar: A thousand yahrens ago, at the onset of the thousand yahren war against the humans.
Iblis: And for my voice to be the voice of Imperious Leader, it would have to be transcribed into machine leader a thousand yahrens ago. I'd have to be a thousand yahrens old.

The interpretation of 'allowed' and 'overcome' is at the crux of the argument of wether their technology turned on them or if they became their technology.

The golden cylons were just command centurions, basicly the commanding officer of a base or ship, not the Imperious leader.

This is what the Imperious Leader looked like, and what the cylon species was supposed to lool like.
Was the Imperious Leader an organic reptilian? This pic sorta looks reptilian, and nothing like a Xindi.

DownFallAngel
January 6th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Was the Imperious Leader an organic reptilian? This pic sorta looks reptilian, and nothing like a Xindi.

I'll let my monkey do the talking for me:

http://meteorxl.com/images/Mach/Monkey2.gifLEAVE THE XINID OUT OF THIS!!! http://meteorxl.com/images/Mach/Monkey2.gif

And yea, I think the Xindi Reptilians look way scarier than the Imperious Leader. He reminds me of 'The Leader' from the Hulk comics, all green and has a huge head.

LordAnubis
January 6th, 2005, 11:21 AM
I'll let my monkey do the talking for me:

http://meteorxl.com/images/Mach/Monkey2.gifLEAVE THE XINID OUT OF THIS!!! http://meteorxl.com/images/Mach/Monkey2.gif

And yea, I think the Xindi Reptilians look way scarier than the Imperious Leader. He reminds me of 'The Leader' from the Hulk comics, all green and has a huge head.
Never saw the Hulk comics. Dunno. Relax, DFA, it's all good. Just makin' a point :)

Duo
January 6th, 2005, 01:27 PM

Then why does Iblis sound like the Imperious leader? He's OBVIOUSLY not a Cylon. And your forgetting the religious implacations of the 70s BSG, if it had grown we would have seen something akin to the ancients sub-plot. And the fanfic "Farscape: The Lost Warrior" by NeilGartner explores this.

LordAnubis
January 7th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Then why does Iblis sound like the Imperious leader? He's OBVIOUSLY not a Cylon. And your forgetting the religious implacations of the 70s BSG, if it had grown we would have seen something akin to the ancients sub-plot. And the fanfic "Farscape: The Lost Warrior" by NeilGartner explores this.
Why? Explain why you said this. I don't understand.

LordAnubis
January 7th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Hey, peeps, here's some good school tells about the original origins of the Cylons:

http://www.cylon.org/bsg/1978-cylons-01.html

http://staff.bus.bton.ac.uk/fesg/bsg/cylons/cylon_secrets.html

http://www.legionxxiv.org/cylon124/

I really liked the histories portrayed in these sites. Enjoy! :)

Duo
January 7th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Why? Explain why you said this. I don't understand.
Baltar said he recognized Ibils voice when they first met, Ibils replyed that it was the voice of justice.

LordAnubis
January 7th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Baltar said he recognized Ibils voice when they first met, Ibils replyed that it was the voice of justice.
And?

Duo
January 7th, 2005, 03:33 PM
You and I both know he can't be a Cylon.

IMForeman
January 8th, 2005, 06:38 PM
I am watching the 2003 miniseries at the moment, and I like what they have done with the story... but I can't help but feel like I'm watching a live action Exo-Squad. :D

-IMF

DownFallAngel
January 8th, 2005, 06:43 PM
I am watching the 2003 miniseries at the moment, and I like what they have done with the story... but I can't help but feel like I'm watching a live action Exo-Squad. :D

-IMF

It was shot specifically like that. It is shot documentary style.

Watching on NBC aswell?

IMForeman
January 8th, 2005, 06:46 PM
It was shot specifically like that. It is shot documentary style.

Watching on NBC aswell?

Yeahsure yebetcha.

-IMF

TechnoWraith
January 8th, 2005, 08:31 PM
I haven't seen the older series, so I can't say much of anything on that respect. But I do look forward to the new BSG series that's going to start airing on SciFi in a week or two. Also, there's a SciFi "Behind the Scenes" special airing for BSG sometime in the next week or two. If I see a commercial for it, I'll post the times for people to try to catch it.

LordAnubis
January 8th, 2005, 10:34 PM
You and I both know he can't be a Cylon.
The Devil or something? Maybe a Goa'uld, they're reptilian after all :)

VirtualCLD
January 9th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I had a question regarding the aired syndicated version on NBC Saturday night. That version was only three hours long when the Sci-Fi version was two, 2-hour long episodes (a total of four hours). So, what was cut out of the syndicated version that aired on NBC?

DownFallAngel
January 9th, 2005, 10:15 AM
While flipping back and forth I noticed a few cut scenes.

1. When Colonial 1 hears President Adar's distress call, President Rosllen should have said:

'Captain. I need you to send my signal back on that frequency. Ready? D as in dog. A as in apple. 1234. B as in boy. Thank you.' and then she leaves.

In NBC's version she said just to send back her signal, and she was done.

2. When they first get to Ragnar, the raider is originally talking to the Chief. He then whips out a gun.

In the NBC version they just arrive and boom he is threatening them.

3. At the very end, there was supposed to be a scene with Adama in his room. There was a note on his desk that reads 'There are only 12 Cylon models.' That was cut.

4. The last conversation with Six and Baltar was condensed. Originally she tells him that there are 12 models, she is #6, and there might be some sleeper agents abord Galactica.

In the NBC version, they only included that there were 12 models.

5. In the final fight scene with the base stars, there is an extended scene. Starbuck is being hailed by Adama. He asks her what does she here. She says 'Nothign but the rain.' He says: 'Good. Grab your gun and bring in the cat.' She then grabs Lee and crash lands on the port landing bay.

In the NBC version she only grabs Lee and crash lands.

6. When preparing for the FTL jump, pass the Red-Line, the scene had way more dialouge. It included Tigh, Adama, Lee and Gaiten. They were arguing at first. Gaiten and Lee and Tigh agree that the prisoners should be left behind at Ragnar. Adama says no. There is also a scene between Dualla and Billy, where they talk and Adama watchs from afar. They continue to argue, and Tigh begins to take command. Adama then interupts him by saying 'They better start making babies.' Everyone has a confused look and then he says: 'Alright. We take the Galactica out. 5 clicks. Gaiten, plot the jump, and send it to the ships.'

NBC only included when Lee and the others gathered, and Adama said 'We take the Galactica out. 5 Clicks.'

7. The scene were the Rag Tag fleets meets up with ships that do not have the FTL drives was cut. That part of the fleet was descimated by Cylon raiders.

8. A scene between Adama and lee hugging at the end, and Lee saying he will perform a patrol in the morning was cut. Adama says goodnight, and then finds the note and locks his door.

Those are the only ones I noticed. That was in the last hour.

VirtualCLD
January 9th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks, I can't believe I forgot about some of those. I guess some were subtle, but others were not. However, I thought the scene about preparing to jump past the Red-Line was lacking, guess I was right. Thank you!

Duo
January 9th, 2005, 01:19 PM
:rolleyes: Did you even see the second part of the two part episode that introduced Iblis? :rolleyes:

Lexx
January 10th, 2005, 12:43 AM
However, it adds mystery and intrigue to have them alien, not man-made.
I agree, but the new Cylons have a different kind of mystery. Such as: how did they become what they are now? The last time anyone saw the Cylons they still looked like how they did in the original series. Now they're advanced to the point where they're virtually identical to humans. Did they "evolve" like this on their own, or did they find help somewhere? Do they live on planets now, or do they just go around in Basestars? Why do they want to wipe out all human life? The only hint we've seen as to the Cylon's motives is that they now view themselves superior to humans, and that they believe God feels the same way.

This brings up the biggest mystery of all IMO: their religion. We know that the Cylons believe in God and that they believe they have souls, but that's basically it. Maybe they're doing a Jihad type thing, which would explain their overwhelming determination in killing every single human. Or maybe there's a Goa'uld-like thing going on, where another race has convinced the Cylons that they are gods, and the Cylons are now doing their bidding. Whatever the case may be, I'm extremely curious. I think the new Cylons are fascinating, and I can't wait to see where the series takes them.

Kind of Off Topic: That Imperious Leader looks like nothing more than a robot wearing a bathrobe with a towel wrapped around it's head. I think we can all be thankful that the new series' budget is bigger than the original series' was.

DownFallAngel
January 11th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I agree, but the new Cylons have a different kind of mystery. Such as: how did they become what they are now? The last time anyone saw the Cylons they still looked like how they did in the original series. Now they're advanced to the point where they're virtually identical to humans. Did they "evolve" like this on their own, or did they find help somewhere? Do they live on planets now, or do they just go around in Basestars? Why do they want to wipe out all human life? The only hint we've seen as to the Cylon's motives is that they now view themselves superior to humans, and that they believe God feels the same way.

This brings up the biggest mystery of all IMO: their religion. We know that the Cylons believe in God and that they believe they have souls, but that's basically it. Maybe they're doing a Jihad type thing, which would explain their overwhelming determination in killing every single human. Or maybe there's a Goa'uld-like thing going on, where another race has convinced the Cylons that they are gods, and the Cylons are now doing their bidding. Whatever the case may be, I'm extremely curious. I think the new Cylons are fascinating, and I can't wait to see where the series takes them.

Kind of Off Topic: That Imperious Leader looks like nothing more than a robot wearing a bathrobe with a towel wrapped around it's head. I think we can all be thankful that the new series' budget is bigger than the original series' was.

The original series was 1 million dollars an episode. I think it was more (based on the 1970 worth of the US Dollar) than what we put into it now. Only because sets and stuff had to be built for every episode. Now its probably about 2 million (based on the 2004 US Dollar), and most of which goes into visual effects.

IMForeman
January 12th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I can't wait to see the two part episode coming up:

"Kobol's Last Gleaming" based on the original series' "Lost Planet of the Gods." I hope it answers some questions about how the 12 colonies came into being, how Earth was separated from them, and a little bit more about who these "Lords of Kobol" were that led them away. We know that 3 of "the Lords" were called Apollo, Artemis, and Aphrodite... I wonder, did these "Lords" having glowing eyes? Is the 13th colony where they all started after all? If so, the Tauri can help them with the Cylons.

-IMF

Manic
January 12th, 2005, 06:39 PM
I'm not very well acquainted with the original series. In fact, up until I started watching the new mini-series this week, the only thing I knew about Battlestar Galactica was that it was associated with a helmet that looked a lot like the Storm Trooper helmet from Star Wars. Really, that's all I knew. The most basic elements of the premise were a mystery to me.

I had no reason to watch the miniseries, so I pretty much avoided it for a while.

Then when I learned the new BSG would be jumping into my Friday night TV schedule, and that Sci-Fi was airing the miniseries again, I decided to give it a look-see.

Speaking as someone who knew absolutely nothing about the original BSG, I think this was a frellin' good (see also: smeggin' good, goram good) mini, and I can't wait until the full series starts. I rolled my eyes when the Cylons turned out to be machines rebelling against their human masters (after holding a 40 year grudge and attacking an entirely different generation of humans, at that), but I think the overall drama makes up for it. Plus the Cylons' faulty logic (really, wiping out multiple generations who've never seen a Cylon? Come on!) can be attributed to their religious beliefs. Show me a religious insurgent group who attacks out of pure logic, and I'll show you the world's largest gold nugget-- 3 miles in diameter.

And I think the Cylons' belief in God gives them an interesting new twist on a recently overused cliche. We've seen machines attempt to take over the world in science fiction, but we've never known their motivation to be religious. It was retaliatory in The Matrix, it was a need to protect humans in I, Robot (or was it? I've never seen the movie), and it was the cleansing of an obsolete lifeform in Terminator. Given the original twist, I actually like the whole premise to the new Galactica.

I can only hope the vast amounts of money Sci-Fi is squeezing out this year (we're talking millions of dollars everytime Galactica and either Stargate film an episode) doesn't cause them to cancel something.

Kick-Kinsey
November 26th, 2007, 04:25 AM
It was nice to see the old school cylon ships again

Mefusta
November 26th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Why in God's name would you necro a nearly 3-year-old thread, kick-kinsey?

P-90_177
November 26th, 2007, 06:05 AM
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/paulscott_90/savtthreadkittens.jpg

Mefusta
November 26th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Awww.

CaldwellForce
November 26th, 2007, 07:25 AM
For a lot of fans who remembered the old sires – Starbuck and Apollo meant the characters played by Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict. The re-imaging produced a new series, not an original one but a new one which was been fairly popular over these past years. Female Starbuck was changed form a funny, cheesy, cigar smoking womaniser to a moody, self indulgent cow, who crashes her spaceship and gets rookies killed. The old XO was changed from a straight black dud who did things by the book and changed into a 100% adulterated a*sshole who dresses up as a pirate and falls down drunk. But apart from the flaws the new show had, many of us believed it was a better show, it had more realism. The new stories were better written, the new Battlestar had some great actors. The new series started to jump the shark once that Quadrangle love ship of doom took over the 3rd season

Anyone else feel that some of the Razor CGI looked about Cartoonish / Nintendo-ish ?

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8669/copyofbattllestaracademky0.jpg

Was their budget cut ?

I guess the next question is who wins in an OldCylon Vs NewCylon face off

P-90_177
November 26th, 2007, 08:31 AM
i thought the old style cylons looked awesome.

Kick-Kinsey
November 26th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Why in God's name would you necro a nearly 3-year-old thread, kick-kinsey?

Posted in the wrong thread

Oh nevermind

FrakAttack
November 26th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Anyone else feel that some of the Razor CGI looked about Cartoonish / Nintendo-ish ? Was their budget cut?

Felt the same way. Guys in suits would've looked more realistic to me.

P-90_177
November 26th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Felt the same way. Guys in suits would've looked more realistic to me.

oh god that would have been awful. Sorry i don't mean to be disrespectful. It's just that it really would not have fit in with shows visuals.

Sci-Fi
December 1st, 2007, 12:08 AM
Just FYI:

If you discard Glen A Larson original concept pitch, "Adam's Ark", The Cylons were originally a reptilian species inside those suits/armor to give them the mobility of the humans. Then it morphed into robots rebelling against their reptilian Cylon masters, becoming a mechanical race while keeping the Cylon name (remember those female robots in the Pegasus eppys?), customs, and political and military structure, plus taking over the empire and killing off all the biological Cylons. Since there were "killings" in the original show and the FCC had a limit on and counted the number of acts of violence for each time slot, shooting non-living robots skirted this issue and there's no blood...just sparks. The Imperious Leader is as close as they got to show what the biological Cylons would have looked like, but of course it was a robot and it was never explained why an IL series robot that was chosen to be the Imperious Leader would have to take on that form.

Oh well, plenty of sources on the net if people are interested in the original show and books and the info between the 2 are sometimes presented as canon since GAL was involved in both. Might bring up conflicts if only the show is being discussed and considered the only true canon.

In any case, BSG was originally designed to be a series of TV movies/specials and was ill equipped to meet the demands of a weekly series and often episodes went straight from the cutting room to be broadcasted with seconds to spare...not to mention writing lines as they filmed. CGI at the time was done one frame at a time, so replaying of existing scenes got old fast...even when they flipped the scenes to fly the other way...lol. IF ABC waited a year after showing the pilot, so scripts could be properly written and developed and the CGI needed for the season produced, things might have been different. The 2-part episodes are often remembered as the best stories.