This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battlestar Galactiva -Old vs. New Question

What I gather from the new BSG is that the Cylons were artificial beings created by humans that rebelled. Now as the series starts after so many years the Cylons 'return' and attack the humans who of course have to flee in a bunch of ships blah blah blah.

I do not remember the old BSG, was this the same premise? I never paid much attention to the show but I always thought the Cylons were completely seperate or something, but then again that was over 20 years ago. Just got done watching the 2 hour premiere a little while ago and I must say I am really excited about this show.

From what I understand the Cylons in the original series were the descendants/servants of a lizard like race also called the Cylons. Them lizard people upped and left leaving the Cylons. Having nothing better to do the Cylons waged a 1000 year war against the Colonials. The second time around they managed wipe out everything except for the Galactica, the Pegasus and a handful of other ships.

Comment

in the original BS, it wasn't until the colonies helped the hassarians, a species who lived near the colonies that the cylons turned their attention to humans. it was because they helped the hassarians take back their world (if i remember right) that they cylons decided to start a war with humans (1000 years ago) while in the new one (as you said), they were created by humans, rebelled and decided to destroy their creators only for them to vanish for 20 odd years only to return again and finish what they started

sigpic

Comment

It was forty years not twenty, in the new series.

And yes, the BSG(O)'s Cylons were once servants of lizard people or something. No-one really knows. Many speculate, that the lizard people became cyborgs, or something, and then just became the robot Cylons that we all love to hate. Many also speculate that the Cylons were once servants of these lizard people, who either mysteriously died off, or left the known Kobol galaxy for unknown reasons.

It really isn't clear. Glen A Larson probably had an idea as to what he wanted them to be, but probably never got around to it, as the old series was cancelled after one season.

In the new series, the Cylons were a race of robots created to do mans bidding. The twelve colonies soon went to war with each other, and after a while they relized that they shouldn't be sending men into war, so they sent the Cylons. The Cylons soon gained a bit of intellegence and rebelled, and started killing man, and all the Cylons unified under one goal, to kill all humans. The Human created battlestars and what not, to fight off the Cylons, and 40 years later, after the Humans won the Cylon Wars, the Cylons have come back, destroyed the 12 Colonies Of Kobol, and are searching for the Galactica and it's rag tag fleet, in the uncharted areas of space.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
        [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Thanks for the info, interesting to hear the background of the original series. With that in mind I really find the new BSG storyline even better that they did not stick too much to the original.

Comment

When is Sci-Fi going to reshow the new BG mini series?
            It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

They have been advertising January 14th, although UK has already run I believe 8-9 eps

Comment

Originally posted by David85
                When is Sci-Fi going to reshow the new BG mini series?
                Well right now its out on DVD, but the air time on the scifi channel should be sometime before the 14th, when the Lowdown and the premiere air.

01/11/2005 09:00 PM ORIGINAL MINISERIES BATTLESTAR GALACTICA PART 1
                01/12/2005 07:00 PM ORIGINAL MINISERIES BATTLESTAR GALACTICA PART 1
                01/12/2005 09:00 PM ORIGINAL MINISERIES BATTLESTAR GALACTICA PART 2
                01/14/2005 08:30 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE SERIES LOWDOWN BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE SERIES LOWDOWN
                01/14/2005 09:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA 33/WATER
                01/14/2005 11:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE SERIES LOWDOWN BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE SERIES LOWDOWN
                01/14/2005 11:30 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA 33/WATER
                01/16/2005 03:00 PM ORIGINAL MINISERIES BATTLESTAR GALACTICA PART 1 & 2 - 4 HOUR VERSION
                01/16/2005 07:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA 33/WATER
                01/16/2005 05:30 AM BATTLESTAR GALCACTICA: PROPAGANDA & WAR C PROPAGANDA & WAR
                01/17/2005 04:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA 33/WATER
                01/18/2005 01:00 AM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA 33
                01/19/2005 02:00 AM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA WATER
                01/21/2005 10:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA BASTILLE DAY
                01/21/2005 01:00 AM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA BASTILLE DAY
                01/23/2005 05:30 AM BATTLESTAR GALCACTICA: PROPAGANDA & WAR C PROPAGANDA & WAR
                01/24/2005 10:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA BASTILLE DAY
                01/28/2005 10:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA ACT OF CONTRITION
                01/28/2005 01:00 AM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA ACT OF CONTRITION
                01/31/2005 10:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA ACT OF CONTRITION

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Comment

Thank you. I didn't bother watching because I thought it wasn't going to be picked up, and I thought it would be crap, but people seem to like it and I'll see if I like it.
                  It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Originally posted by David85
                    Thank you. I didn't bother watching because I thought it wasn't going to be picked up, and I thought it would be crap, but people seem to like it and I'll see if I like it.
                    Definately give it a try, I think its the best thing since like, StarGate.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                      Definately give it a try, I think its the best thing since like, StarGate.

Like that is saying much. lol

The best Sci-Fi series started and ended since Stargate too.

Comment

Originally posted by SBN
                        What I gather from the new BSG is that the Cylons were artificial beings created by humans that rebelled. Now as the series starts after so many years the Cylons 'return' and attack the humans who of course have to flee in a bunch of ships blah blah blah.

I do not remember the old BSG, was this the same premise? I never paid much attention to the show but I always thought the Cylons were completely seperate or something, but then again that was over 20 years ago. Just got done watching the 2 hour premiere a little while ago and I must say I am really excited about this show.
                        In the original, which I think has a better plot, the Cylons were sorta like the Borg; they started off as an organic race of beings who desired to become "perfect". Perfection was achieved through cybernetic enhancements and later, robotic dupilcation. They were originally a race of reptiles and were ruthless warriors. The Imperious Leader helped convert them from reptilians, who were quite advanced, to their biomechanical or robotic forms. I'm not sure how long this took, but after they became "Cylons", they decided to help other flawed biological lifeforms by eliminating them, thus creating true inorganic perfection.

In the original, the Cylons had advanced space-travel capacity technology long before the 13 tribes had advanced to even primitive technology. The humans did not create the Cylons. Personally, I don't like the fact that the humans created the Cylons in the new series; it's not a good plot device at all, IMO. I didn't care for the mini-series last year, so I might watch it since it's on Fridays with SG-1 and Atlantis.

You know what really sucks? Now SG-1 conflicts with Enterprise on Fridays!

Comment

I think the one thing people will either love or hate is the way action is filmed. They do it in a way as if there is someone following live with a hand held camera up close, as opposed to the wide angel view seen on most other shows. At times I found it somewhat annoying. Also, during a lot of action scenes, especially in space (or maybe just all in space) they tend to for go traditional action music for drums which is interesting at least. It is at least worth viewing for a few eps. I myself was completely not interested at all in the mini-series that had out last year. But recently saw that and the first few eps and my opinion has changed some. There is a lot of suspense in the show.

Comment

It´s been a few months after my last post in gateforum. I´ve found a new show to fall for instead of SG-1....BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. It´s dark and that´s refreshing. The cast is great and it is fabulous. All of them, especially Mary mcDonnell and Jamie Bamber. It´s intriguing because there are no easy endings, no happy endings. That´s refreshing too. The series rythm is faster because there is nothing left to be explained. Everything was in the miniseries. We know the characters. The promo was great too.

I highly recommend it....One advice. Don´t waste a minute comparing it the the old one. There is no point. The story is the same and different and it is VERY good.

Comment

Originally posted by DOIKECARTER
                              I highly recommend it....One advice. Don´t waste a minute comparing it the the old one. There is no point. The story is the same and different and it is VERY good.
                              Excellent point to make, this show is completely different from the series that ran over 20 years ago. I myself was not a fan of the original at all, and if anyone else felt the same don't hold off on this series.

Also, DOIKECARTER said about everything being introduced in the mini-series is important. It is highly advisable to watch the mini series as otherwise you will most likely be lost.

Personally, this is how I always thought the first BSG should have been.

Comment

Working...
                              X