PDA

View Full Version : Vegas : what do you think now ?

Solaris
January 29th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Well I've heard mixed reviews about this episode, and I wanted to know what you guys think.
I personally LOVE this episode, its possibly one of the best episodes in season 5, if not the whole series in my opinion. The entire thing is so radically different than any other episode, I think you cant really compare it to other episodes, which is why I think a ton of people find it confusing and don't like it.

Anything you want to add would be great, whether you like it or not.

Linda06
January 31st, 2010, 12:53 PM
I still think it's one of the worst eps of the entire series *shrugs* Now I love CSI LV/NY but IMO this was a very poor attempt at a CSI style ep. They can't do it, they should have left it to the people who can actually do CSI. It was also very boring, I think I yawned on a few occasions while watching it :o And my mind kinda wandered at times.

And IMO it was a pointless episode. It was about time JF got his token ep but giving him this drivel, he didn't deserve that from TPTB :mckay: It wasn't even "our" Shep, it was a pointless AU Shep :rolleyes:

As Teal'c would say "Our's is the only reality that matters" Or something along those lines :p

Replicator Todd
January 31st, 2010, 03:09 PM
I though Vegas was fun, but I would of rather had a two-part of Enemy at the Gate. I didn't care for this episode too much. I liked it, it is one of the few episodes that I don't like to rewatch very often.

Southern Red
February 1st, 2010, 04:28 AM
Vegas is my favorite episode of the entire series. Finally JF got to stretch his acting muscles and boy did he deliver. Why this man is not a movie star will forever remain a mystery. Everybody's acting was outstanding in this one and they did a masterful job of showing just how different these people were from our team. This John Sheppard broke my heart. The only unfortunate thing was that we got more character development on this guy than we did our Sheppard in 5 years. Shameful.

I also liked what RCC did with the CSI homage and the music was just an added bonus. It was a refreshing change from all the mundane plots of S5. I will never tire of rewatching Vegas.

Pharaoh Atem
February 1st, 2010, 04:29 AM
great ep

Mongoletsi
February 1st, 2010, 04:49 AM
Vegas is my favorite episode of the entire series. Finally JF got to stretch his acting muscles and boy did he deliver. Why this man is not a movie star will forever remain a mystery. Everybody's acting was outstanding in this one and they did a masterful job of showing just how different these people were from our team. This John Sheppard broke my heart. The only unfortunate thing was that we got more character development on this guy than we did our Sheppard in 5 years. Shameful.

I also liked what RCC did with the CSI homage and the music was just an added bonus. It was a refreshing change from all the mundane plots of S5. I will never tire of rewatching Vegas.

In total agreement, 100%.

Lythisrose
February 1st, 2010, 12:07 PM
Vegas was also my favorite ep of the series. It focused on Shep (my favorite, if you couldn't tell), loved Rodney in it, the music, the Wraith, the photography. I actually cried at the end, which is rare for me.
My only gripe is I really wish they had found a way to include Teyla and Ronon somehow.

Linda06
February 1st, 2010, 12:19 PM
Vegas was also my favorite ep of the series. It focused on Shep (my favorite, if you couldn't tell), loved Rodney in it, the music, the Wraith, the photography. I actually cried at the end, which is rare for me.
My only gripe is I really wish they had found a way to include Teyla and Ronon somehow.

Well they miraculously managed to include Todd and Keller so I still don't understand why they couldn't have found a way to include Teyla and Ronon. The two foremost experts on the Wraith, the two who have lived under their grasp all their lives, the two who know more about the Wraith than any of the Atlantis expedition :rolleyes: Yeah I have serious problems with this ep :p

Bad attempt at a CSI style ep, terrible music, not our Shep (JF deserved his centric ep but it should have been our Shep, not some pointless AU version, like someone said. Can't remember who. Might have been FH or Reiko or someone. I think we learned more about AU Shep in 40 odd minutes than we ever did our Shep in 5 years :rolleyes)), two of the so-called main characters missing (yet they could fit in Rodney, Keller, Zelenka, Woolsey, TODD, yeah still trying to figure that one out :confused), way too much sand (It gets everywhere :eek:)

The only good thing about Vegas for me was the rather hot Wraith dude :o

Lythisrose
February 1st, 2010, 12:24 PM
Well they miraculously managed to include Todd and Keller so I still don't understand why they couldn't have found a way to include Teyla and Ronon. The two foremost experts on the Wraith, the two who have lived under their grasp all their lives, the two who know more about the Wraith than any of the Atlantis expedition :rolleyes: Yeah I have serious problems with this ep :p

Bad attempt at a CSI style ep, terrible music, not our Shep (JF deserved his centric ep but it should have been our Shep, not some pointless AU version, like someone said. Can't remember who. Might have been FH or Reiko or someone. I think we learned more about AU Shep in 40 odd minutes than we ever did our Shep in 5 years :rolleyes)), two of the so-called main characters missing (yet they could fit in Rodney, Keller, Zelenka, Woolsey, TODD, yeah still trying to figure that one out :confused), way too much sand (It gets everywhere :eek:)

The only good thing about Vegas for me was the rather hot Wraith dude :o

I surely agree about Teyla and Ronon, have the complete opposite view of the music and content and yeah, that Wraith was hot! :P :)
Oh well, "vive la difference!"

Linda06
February 1st, 2010, 12:28 PM
I surely agree about Teyla and Ronon, have the complete opposite view of the music and content and yeah, that Wraith was hot! :P :)
Oh well, "vive la difference!"

I don't reall like the sort of heavy rock stuff *shrugs* I just think that JF deserved a centric ep with the character he's been playing for 5 years and maybe finally some background on our Shep instead of AU Shep ;) Well If I ever watch it again it'll be to drool over I mean admire the acting abilities of the guy that played Wraith dude :D *adjusts halo*

Carter1994
February 1st, 2010, 12:47 PM
Personally, I found it all a bit... meh. It just all seemed so very pointless. The plastic-surgery wraith (make-up?! really?! I find it hard to believe...), the camera style, the music... the writing felt very forced, and all-in-all it simply came off as self-indulgent. They wanted to do something different, plain and simple. It's like... 24 deciding to do an episode out of real time. Andromeda with a Bones-like episode. It does not follow!

I can't very well compare it to the rest of SGA, because, for all intents and purposes, it wasn't SGA. The manner in which Vegas and the rest of the show are related is much more similar to the way two same-universe series interact than a episode-to-episode comparison. The PTB would have been much better off to scrap this episode and use the extra slot to return EatG to two-part status.

Osiristi
February 1st, 2010, 01:22 PM
terrible music
I must disagree.

Linda06
February 2nd, 2010, 09:00 AM
I must disagree.

Like I said, I don't like heavy rock *shrugs* And well, I thought it was very out of place in a stargate episode.

ktebid
February 5th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I felt it diverted from the typical episode a bit too much. I cried at the end, I felt JF did a fantastic job with this AU Sheppard, but the episode itself was a bit confusing. I did wonder why they would write something like this, but it did explain how the wraith ship picked up the subspace co-ordinates for earth, and I think for this alone it was an important episode.

I loved it, I hated it, I cried, I laughed... I drooled at JF all the way through :o ...so a great SGA episode in many aspects.

Blencathra
February 6th, 2010, 01:37 AM
While pleased for fans of JF, I was extremely disappointed that there was no Ronon or Teyla in the second to last ever episode of Atlantis. I don't think I'll be watching this episode again.

Edit - I've just thought. I can't watch it again even if I wanted to. I only bought the first three volumes of season 5 :P

Linda06
February 6th, 2010, 05:56 AM
While pleased for fans of JF, I was extremely disappointed that there was no Ronon or Teyla in the second to last ever episode of Atlantis. I don't think I'll be watching this episode again.

Edit - I've just thought. I can't watch it again even if I wanted to. I only bought the first three volumes of season 5 :P

Well that's more than me, i haven't bought any of s5 :p

jelgate
February 6th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Vegas? Whats Vegas? I have nevr heard of such a Stargate episode

Linda06
February 7th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Vegas? Whats Vegas? I have nevr heard of such a Stargate episode

ah Lindaitis strikes again :D Sometimes it can be a wonderful thing ;)

fumblesmcstupid
February 7th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Not My John Sheppard...........*shrugs*
Not MY Rodney McKay..........*blinks at the writers*
Not MY Radek Zalenka...........*scratches my head*
Not MY Richard Woolsey........*sits down and folds my arms*
(Too bad we could not have sent Keller there)
Not MY SGA.............

These were not the characters that I have watched and enjoyed for most of 5 years.

I just didn't care about them, or the episode.......

So this was IMVHO the WORST episode of an A.U in which the physical resemblance's was used of "OUR" realities characters uh physical uh ness.

Linda06
February 7th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Not My John Sheppard...........*shrugs*
Not MY Rodney McKay..........*blinks at the writers*
Not MY Radek Zalenka...........*scratches my head*
Not MY Richard Woolsey........*sits down and folds my arms*
(Too bad we could not have sent Keller there)
Not MY SGA.............

These were not the characters that I have watched and enjoyed for most of 5 years.

I just didn't care about them, or the episode.......

So this was IMVHO the WORST episode of an A.U in which the physical resemblance's was used of "OUR" realities characters uh physical uh ness.

And no Teyla and Ronon at all *sits and pouts*

Jumper_One
February 7th, 2010, 12:24 PM
And no Teyla and Ronon at all *sits and pouts*

why would Ronon or Teyla appear in an AR ep that takes place on Earth

Linda06
February 7th, 2010, 12:28 PM
why would Ronon or Teyla appear in an AR ep that takes place on Earth

Maybe for the same reason Todd appears in it. Just to be there :p

Sorry, this ep just rubs me up the wrong way in a lot of ways ;) Um......Maybe I should rephrase that differently before Jel gets here :o

naaaaaaaaaa, this should be fun :p

jelgate
February 7th, 2010, 12:31 PM
why would Ronon or Teyla appear in an AR ep that takes place on EarthBecause the AR had Atlantis and Teyla and Ronon have come to Earth many times for Atlantis type matters. Clearly a Wraith qualifies as Atlantis matters. You put 2 and 2 together and well I don't want to confuse Linda with basic math.

Linda06
February 7th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Because the AR had Atlantis and Teyla and Ronon have come to Earth many times for Atlantis type matters. Clearly a Wraith qualifies as Atlantis matters. You put 2 and 2 together and well I don't want to confuse Linda with basic math.

*nods head* :D

Ya know, it's about the Wraith. And ya know. Teyla and Ronon are the only Wraith experts they have, and ya know, it would have been prudent to take the two most Wraith experts and the best tracker to Earth to ya know, track the Wraith. Dont'cha think :D And well Todd was there, Yeah still trying to figure that one out :confused:

jelgate
February 7th, 2010, 12:36 PM

Ya know, it's about the Wraith. And ya know. Teyla and Ronon are the only Wraith experts they have, and ya know, it would have been prudent to take the two most Wraith experts and the best tracker to Earth to ya know, track the Wraith. Dont'cha think :D And well Todd was there, Yeah still trying to figure that one out :confused:I would disagree with the first part. Over the 5 years the expedition team have become just as much as experts on the Wraith as Teyla and Ronon. Teyla and Ronon may have more experence but they are no more experts then the rest of Atlantis.

Linda06
February 7th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I would disagree with the first part. Over the 5 years the expedition team have become just as much as experts on the Wraith as Teyla and Ronon. Teyla and Ronon may have more experence but they are no more experts then the rest of Atlantis.

I disagree...WOOHOO...See Brian, I disagree with Jel :p heh, so where was I?

Oh yeah, I do think that the other's have experience dealing with the Wraith now but Teyla and Ronon have lived with the threat of the Wraith all their lives so I think it's only wise that Teyla and Ronon would have travelled to Earth to help track and capture the Wraith. I mean Ronon played cat and mouse with the Wraith for 7 years. I think he'd be the best out of anyone for the job. But that's just me and well, most of season 5 didn't make much sense :p

Jumper_One
February 7th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Maybe for the same reason Todd appears in it. Just to be there :p

Sorry, this ep just rubs me up the wrong way in a lot of ways ;) Um......Maybe I should rephrase that differently before Jel gets here :o

naaaaaaaaaa, this should be fun :p

I guess TPTB wanted the audience to recognize the Wraith they captured

Because the AR had Atlantis and Teyla and Ronon have come to Earth many times for Atlantis type matters. Clearly a Wraith qualifies as Atlantis matters. You put 2 and 2 together and well I don't want to confuse Linda with basic math.

true but this was a totally different AR. Shep's a detective, Woolsey's with the FBI...

Ya know, it's about the Wraith. And ya know. Teyla and Ronon are the only Wraith experts they have, and ya know, it would have been prudent to take the two most Wraith experts and the best tracker to Earth to ya know, track the Wraith. Dont'cha think :D And well Todd was there, Yeah still trying to figure that one out :confused:

how do you know? it's an AR, maybe they never encountered the Athosians and Ronon

Falcon Horus
February 7th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Vegas has been a while.... a loooooong while... I haven't watched anything season 5 (or SGA-related) since I ended my screentime/wordcount tracking.

But how would I feel, or do I feel about Vegas now.

Well, I still love the music, but the episode in itself was just so out of place in the show that it shouldn't have been made in the first place. Or if they really had to put it in, then it shouldn't have been the first to last episode of the show.

The Wraith impressed me. JF was good.

But overall, I wouldn't recommend the episode at all.

And Teyla and Ronon nog being there, well at the time I was surprised they were still in any of the episodes the way they were treated.

Linda06
February 7th, 2010, 12:52 PM
how do you know? it's an AR, maybe they never encountered the Athosians and Ronon

I guess this is my biggest gripe. They came to Atlantis I think partly because of John, It was John that Teyla got to know first, it was John that Ronon met first, well along with Teyla. But it was also John that met Todd when he got captured by Kolya, it was also John that inadvertently awakened the Wraith. So if it was unbelievable to have Ronon and Teyla in the ep then it was just as unbelievable to have Todd in the ep and have the Wraith try to find and attack Earth because there is no way they would have known about it.

So, can you tell this particular ep really bothers me? :p

Jumper_One
February 7th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I guess this is my biggest gripe. They came to Atlantis I think partly because of John, It was John that Teyla got to know first, it was John that Ronon met first, well along with Teyla. But it was also John that met Todd when he got captured by Kolya, it was also John that inadvertently awakened the Wraith. So if it was unbelievable to have Ronon and Teyla in the ep then it was just as unbelievable to have Todd in the ep and have the Wraith try to find and attack Earth because there is no way they would have known about it.

anything's possible...

So, can you tell this particular ep really bothers me? :p

yep :P

jelgate
February 7th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I disagree...WOOHOO...See Brian, I disagree with Jel :p heh, so where was I?

Oh yeah, I do think that the other's have experience dealing with the Wraith now but Teyla and Ronon have lived with the threat of the Wraith all their lives so I think it's only wise that Teyla and Ronon would have travelled to Earth to help track and capture the Wraith. I mean Ronon played cat and mouse with the Wraith for 7 years. I think he'd be the best out of anyone for the job. But that's just me and well, most of season 5 didn't make much sense :p
That doesn't make them more of an expert. Both groups have been surronded by the Wraith long enough to know thier tatics and how they operate. That said Teyla and Ronon should have been thier given their inteligence and ability to hold thier own in a fight

true but this was a totally different AR. Shep's a detective, Woolsey's with the FBI...
Woosley as the FBI was a cover just Keller as the mortician. It was so they could be close to the case. As for it being an AR I doubt operating procedures would have changed that much. It seemed in this AR only a few things had changed having drastic consquences

Because its the lame excuse. Yes theortical they could never have met but given how little the two were in S5 its lame to not have them meet and go to Earth in the AR given their benefit and how they could have interacted

Linda06
February 7th, 2010, 01:01 PM
anything's possible...

Yes anything is possible. They could have found a way to have Teyla and Ronon there and make it believable ;) But then again that would have been out of place in most of season 5 :p

yep :P

Are you surprised ;)

That doesn't make them more of an expert. Both groups have been surronded by the Wraith long enough to know thier tatics and how they operate. That said Teyla and Ronon should have been thier given their inteligence and ability to hold thier own in a fight
Woosley as the FBI was a cover just Keller as the mortician. It was so they could be close to the case. As for it being an AR I doubt operating procedures would have changed that much. It seemed in this AR only a few things had changed having drastic consquences

Yes you have a point. It maybe doesn't make them more experts than the others, but they are far more experienced in dealing with the Wraith and that experience is invalid so I don't understand why they wouldn't call on their experience *shrugs*

Because its the lame excuse. Yes theortical they could never have met but given how little the two were in S5 its lame to not have them meet and go to Earth in the AR given their benefit and how they could have interacted

:eek: And you had to go and ruin it :mckay: You just had to write something I agree with. And you were doing so well too :p

jelgate
February 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Yes anything is possible. They could have found a way to have Teyla and Ronon there and make it believable ;) But then again that would have been out of place in most of season 5 :p

Are you surprised ;)

Yes you have a point. It maybe doesn't make them more experts than the others, but they are far more experienced in dealing with the Wraith and that experience is invalid so I don't understand why they wouldn't call on their experience *shrugs*

:eek: And you had to go and ruin it :mckay: You just had to write something I agree with. And you were doing so well too :p

Technically I wrote two things that you agree with. The difference between experts and experence and that like most of S5 writers did thier best to keep Ronon and Teyla out of Vegas. Maybe they have a gambling addiction

Linda06
February 7th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Technically I wrote two things that you agree with. The difference between experts and experence and that like most of S5 writers did thier best to keep Ronon and Teyla out of Vegas. Maybe they have a gambling addiction

You know math isn't my strong suit :p

hmm, gambling addiction eh. Well that sure would explain a few things ;)

Jumper_One
February 7th, 2010, 01:42 PM

ok but even if that was the case, what if Ronon and Teyla weren't part of the Atlantis expedition in this AR

I disagree. sure I would've liked to seen both appear in Vegas but the story didn't need them. this was a Shep ep and a set up for the finale

I guess

Are you surprised ;)

nope :P

jelgate
February 7th, 2010, 02:12 PM
ok but even if that was the case, what if Ronon and Teyla weren't part of the Atlantis expedition in this AR

What if the expedition was all dead? What if Woosley never replaced Carter? What if McKay never was selected for the expedition in the 1st place? Their are tons of what ifs you could play with an AR but it still points back to them not writing the characters in the first place. A position that was needed given the lack of episodes Ronon and Teyla had in S5.

I disagree. sure I would've liked to seen both appear in Vegas but the story didn't need them. this was a Shep ep and a set up for the finale

It didn't need Radek or Todd either but they were there

Falcon Horus
February 7th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Vegas is like the ultimate fanfiction - take your favorite characters and surplant them in a whole new environment.

Yup, Vegas was fanfiction. I doubt I would have read it if I had come across it on LJ or ff.net.

Jumper_One
February 7th, 2010, 03:05 PM
What if the expedition was all dead? What if Woosley never replaced Carter? What if McKay never was selected for the expedition in the 1st place? Their are tons of what ifs you could play with an AR

exactly. anything can happen. theoretically...

but it still points back to them not writing the characters in the first place. A position that was needed given the lack of episodes Ronon and Teyla had in S5.

true but you're looking at it from a production POV. I was trying to explain it within the contents of the ep

yeah but those were recurring characters whereas Ronon and Teyla were regulars

Vegas is like the ultimate fanfiction - take your favorite characters and surplant them in a whole new environment.

Yup, Vegas was fanfiction. I doubt I would have read it if I had come across it on LJ or ff.net.

Vegas is one of my favorite s5 eps so I probably would've read it

jelgate
February 7th, 2010, 04:22 PM
true but you're looking at it from a production POV. I was trying to explain it within the contents of the ep

I was always talking production reasons. Their are plenty of story reasons that you could include them Vegas. But they once again chose to pretend they didn't exist as characters. Its just a disappointment that they once again tried to omitt the characters for some lame reason once again.

Which makes it even cheaper to use them recurring character given Jason and Racheal's season contracts

Jim of WVa
February 8th, 2010, 04:37 AM
...true but you're looking at it from a production POV. I was trying to explain it within the contents of the ep...

In the Vega$ Alternative Universe:

1. Lt. Ford still works for Stargate Command in the Milky Way galaxy, so the Atlantis team never explored that weird planet in that S2 episode where they met Ronon.
2. Teyla and Kanaan decided to wait until the middle of S5 to start a family (the nice people from Earth brought birth control pills), so Teyla was out on maternity leave.
3. Todd nailed Michael to a cross after his creations started to get in his way.

:mckay:

Linda06
February 8th, 2010, 05:07 AM
I guess

And just remember one other thing....Linda is always right :D

:p

nope :P

You know me too well :p

I still don't know why Todd was there. If it was unbelievable for Ronon and Teyla to be there it was equally unbelievable for Todd to be there. This never made much sense to me, apart from him being Wraith there wasn't any reason for it *shrugs* I mean it was John that first met Todd when he was captured by Kolya. So in this AU John was never part of the expedition therefore he was never captured therefore he and the rest of the expedition never met Todd hence why this never made any sense to me *shrugs*

If I came across this on ff.net or any other number of fanfic sites I would never have read it. I'm still banging my head against the wall wondering why I wasted so much time watching it :S

And they leave them out? AGAIN? That makes sense :p

I was always talking production reasons. Their are plenty of story reasons that you could include them Vegas. But they once again chose to pretend they didn't exist as characters. Its just a disappointment that they once again tried to omitt the characters for some lame reason once again.

Which makes it even cheaper to use them recurring character given Jason and Racheal's season contracts

*nods head* Okay this is starting to become a habit, me agreeing with you :eek: What's wrong??? Is the world ending??? :p

Falcon Horus
February 8th, 2010, 07:55 AM
*nods head* Okay this is starting to become a habit, me agreeing with you :eek: What's wrong??? Is the world ending??? :p

It's definitely scary. :P

Linda06
February 8th, 2010, 08:58 AM
It's definitely scary. :P

Isn't it just :eek: Before you know it, people *cough* Dog with no breeks *cough*will start talking :eek: :p

Jumper_One
February 9th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I was always talking production reasons. Their are plenty of story reasons that you could include them Vegas.

hm IDK. I guess AR Rodney could've introduced them to AR Shep when he met AR Todd but other than that...

But they once again chose to pretend they didn't exist as characters. Its just a disappointment that they once again tried to omitt the characters for some lame reason once again.

it's disappointing yes but I still love the ep

maybe. but they probably would've appeared in only one or two scenes anyway (remember Sam in Outcast or Shep in Brain Storm?) so it kinda makes sense to leave them out and use a recurring character ie Zelenka

And just remember one other thing....Linda is always right :D

:p

of course :P

You know me too well :p

is that a good thing? :P

I still don't know why Todd was there. If it was unbelievable for Ronon and Teyla to be there it was equally unbelievable for Todd to be there.

how so? it's an AR, anything's possible ;)

This never made much sense to me, apart from him being Wraith there wasn't any reason for it *shrugs* I mean it was John that first met Todd when he was captured by Kolya. So in this AU John was never part of the expedition therefore he was never captured therefore he and the rest of the expedition never met Todd hence why this never made any sense to me *shrugs*

AR team Rodney could've encountered him on an off-world mission

And they leave them out? AGAIN? That makes sense :p

I'm sure TPTB had huge story arcs planned for Ronon and Teyla in s6 :P

jelgate
February 9th, 2010, 12:43 PM
hm IDK. I guess AR Rodney could've introduced them to AR Shep when he met AR Todd but other than that...Or they could have crossed paths in the search for the Wraith? Or Rodney and Teyla could be colbarating on where the Wraith might be doing. Or...well you get the idea. Their is a plethora of ways to introduce Tey or Ronon. They are just as important is searching if not more so.

it's disappointing yes but I still love the ep

Its disappointing and I hated the episode. Its boring.

maybe. but they probably would've appeared in only one or two scenes anyway (remember Sam in Outcast or Shep in Brain Storm?) so it kinda makes sense to leave them out and use a recurring character ie Zelenka

And that points to the overall problem of SGA S5. Too much emphasis on indviduals and not all the characters. Very unbalanced.

So then the possibility of having Tey/Ronon is just as likely as Todd if not more so since they never would never had met Todd if Shepphard wasn't captured by Koyla.

Excuses Excuses:P

I'll take that bet

Linda06
February 10th, 2010, 08:19 AM

Just like it would have been a good idea to leave Shep out of Brain storm or McKay out of whispers, but they didn't. They'd never do that with them. But when it comes to the two recurring main characters it's a different story :rolleyes: Yes this bothers me a great deal, not just with Vegas but the amount of eps they've missed compared to the other two :p

is that a good thing? :P

hmmm, I'm not sure. I'll have to get back to you on that :p

Exactly. Anything is possible. So it's more than possible for the to have Teyla and Ronon there :D

And AR team Rodney could have encountered Ronon and Teyla too. It all seemed to go according to our reality except for Shep being there. Oh and Ronon and Teyla :rolleyes: :p

Oh now you're just being silly :p

Or they could have crossed paths in the search for the Wraith? Or Rodney and Teyla could be colbarating on where the Wraith might be doing. Or...well you get the idea. Their is a plethora of ways to introduce Tey or Ronon. They are just as important is searching if not more so.

*nods head*

*nods head*

And that points to the overall problem of SGA S5. Too much emphasis on indviduals and not all the characters. Very unbalanced.

*nods head*

So then the possibility of having Tey/Ronon is just as likely as Todd if not more so since they never would never had met Todd if Shepphard wasn't captured by Koyla.

*nods head* My neck hurts :S :p

stooooooooooooooooooooop, get out of my head :eek:

Jumper_One
February 10th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Or they could have crossed paths in the search for the Wraith? Or Rodney and Teyla could be colbarating on where the Wraith might be doing. Or...well you get the idea. Their is a plethora of ways to introduce Tey or Ronon. They are just as important is searching if not more so.

not sure if Ronon or Teyla would've been able to help with the search but you're right there were several opportunities to include at least one of them

I thought it was a great ep

agreed, one of the main problems with s5

So then the possibility of having Tey/Ronon is just as likely as Todd

possibly

if not more so since they never would never had met Todd if Shepphard wasn't captured by Koyla.

not true. I'm sure there are many AR where they somehow managed to capture Todd even though Shep's not part of the team

Excuses Excuses:P

:P

I'll take that bet

ok maybe not huge arcs but we would've seen more Ronon and especially Teyla imo

Just like it would have been a good idea to leave Shep out of Brain storm or McKay out of whispers, but they didn't. They'd never do that with them. But when it comes to the two recurring main characters it's a different story :rolleyes: Yes this bothers me a great deal, not just with Vegas but the amount of eps they've missed compared to the other two :p

it's unfortunate but it doesn't bother me that much. try to remember eps like The Queen or The Prodigal :)

hmmm, I'm not sure. I'll have to get back to you on that :p

right :P

Exactly. Anything is possible. So it's more than possible for the to have Teyla and Ronon there :D

yep

And AR team Rodney could have encountered Ronon and Teyla too. It all seemed to go according to our reality except for Shep being there. Oh and Ronon and Teyla :rolleyes: :p

I guess this was the kind of reality where Shep wasn't part of the team and we didn't meet Ronon and Teyla. or maybe we did and they simply stayed in the PG

Oh now you're just being silly :p

me? nah :P

jelgate
February 10th, 2010, 12:40 PM
not sure if Ronon or Teyla would've been able to help with the search but you're right there were several opportunities to include at least one of them

Well to be fair what did Rodney, Keller, Woosley, and Zelenka do to find Wraith. Not very much. No one is expecting them to steal the show since it was a Shepphard episode but an inclusion would have been nice. Something a little longer then 2 minutes

Remember the Goldfish rule:P

possibly

Without knowing the total number of AR its next to impossible to know the ARs with Teyla/Ronon vs Todd but lets just say the number is quite high. Although I would say thier is probably more with the former since they have been around longer

not true. I'm sure there are many AR where they somehow managed to capture Todd even though Shep's not part of the team

I said more likely not that it was certain. Given the scenario of how the characters were introduced Shep had more reliance on Todd then say Teyla the absence of Shep makes Todd's discovery less likely when he is gone but still possible. That was my original point.

ok maybe not huge arcs but we would've seen more Ronon and especially Teyla imo

I'm less optimistic. They had been neglecting Teyla for 4 years. Why would season 6 be different?

I guess this was the kind of reality where Shep wasn't part of the team and we didn't meet Ronon and Teyla. or maybe we did and they simply stayed in the PG

We could have that but why? Why did the writers have to exclude the characters in the first place?

Linda06
February 11th, 2010, 10:18 AM

On this, I have to agree with Jel :eek:

it's unfortunate but it doesn't bother me that much. try to remember eps like The Queen or The Prodigal :)

I do try, but then Rodney is still in them :eek: :p

If Teyla and Ronon were on Atlantis it would have been prudent to bring them along to help in the search for the Wraith :D

Well to be fair what did Rodney, Keller, Woosley, and Zelenka do to find Wraith. Not very much. No one is expecting them to steal the show since it was a Shepphard episode but an inclusion would have been nice. Something a little longer then 2 minutes

Well Rodney was there because "apparently" he "has" to be "there" all the time :rolleyes: Not sure why Keller was there, if this was an AR then I would have thought Carson would have still been there. I mean if you are gonna make an AR then at least shake things up a bit. I mean this version was almost identical to our version except for Shep not being part of it. Keller was the CMO, Woolsey was in charge of the expedition, Rodney giving Zelenka a hard time. Yet they still couldn't include Ronon and Teyla? Even Todd was there :rolleyes: You'd think at least one of those things would be different from our universe *shrugs*

Without knowing the total number of AR its next to impossible to know the ARs with Teyla/Ronon vs Todd but lets just say the number is quite high. Although I would say thier is probably more with the former since they have been around longer

Okay my neck is getting sore nodding all the time so....http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/7.gif

I'm less optimistic. They had been neglecting Teyla for 4 years. Why would season 6 be different?

Sad but true :(

We could have that but why? Why did the writers have to exclude the characters in the first place?

It's just a wild guess but, because they were recurring characters and recurring characters don't have to be in every ep? :D

jelgate
February 11th, 2010, 10:20 AM
It's just a wild guess but, because they were recurring characters and recurring characters don't have to be in every ep? :D
Um Teyla and Ronon were very much main characters.

Linda06
February 11th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Um Teyla and Ronon were very much main characters.

I was being sarcastic :p Um yeah, it kinda loses something in the translation over the net, doesn't it :o

Jumper_One
February 11th, 2010, 02:54 PM

agreed

meh :P

like I said, anything's possible

I said more likely not that it was certain. Given the scenario of how the characters were introduced Shep had more reliance on Todd then say Teyla the absence of Shep makes Todd's discovery less likely when he is gone but still possible. That was my original point.

my bad

4 years? I mean sure she didn't appear in that many eps in s5 and RL was pregnant during s4. at least they tried to us her pregnancy. but how were they neglecting Teyla during s2 and s3? also what about s1?

We could have that but why?

why not?

Why did the writers have to exclude the characters in the first place?

no idea. I guess TPTB wanted to produce an ep that was different than any other Atlantis ep. IIRC even Woosley, Keller and Zelenka only appeared in 2 scenes

On this, I have to agree with Jel :eek:

:eek: again???

I do try, but then Rodney is still in them :eek: :p

true but at least they're Teyla centric

If Teyla and Ronon were on Atlantis it would have been prudent to bring them along to help in the search for the Wraith :D

maybe. tbh I'm not sure if they could've located the Wraith sooner with the help of Ronon and Teyla

Well Rodney was there because "apparently" he "has" to be "there" all the time :rolleyes: Not sure why Keller was there, if this was an AR then I would have thought Carson would have still been there. I mean if you are gonna make an AR then at least shake things up a bit. I mean this version was almost identical to our version except for Shep not being part of it. Keller was the CMO, Woolsey was in charge of the expedition, Rodney giving Zelenka a hard time. Yet they still couldn't include Ronon and Teyla? Even Todd was there :rolleyes: You'd think at least one of those things would be different from our universe *shrugs*

how do you know whether or not Keller was CMO and Woolsey was in charge of Atlantis in this AR? as for Rodney giving Zelenka a hard time, so what? I'm sure that's the case in most AR. also you're saying that this reality was almost identical to our reality. but wouldn't the appearance of Ronon and Teyla make it even more identical?

Linda06
February 11th, 2010, 03:20 PM
:eek: again???

I know, It's becoming a bit of a habit *scratches head* I'm getting worried :sam34:

true but at least they're Teyla centric

True, Oh and I was gonna cut out the Rodney parts and then watch it. See how I enjoy it :D

maybe. tbh I'm not sure if they could've located the Wraith sooner with the help of Ronon and Teyla

Oh you know they would have. Ronon would move heaven and Earth to find and destroy every last Wraith :p

how do you know whether or not Keller was CMO and Woolsey was in charge of Atlantis in this AR? as for Rodney giving Zelenka a hard time, so what? I'm sure that's the case in most AR. also you're saying that this reality was almost identical to our reality. but wouldn't the appearance of Ronon and Teyla make it even more identical?

Well If you're gonna make it so similar to our reality then you may as well go the whole hog :p

Teal'c_PI
February 11th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I thought Vegas was okay, but not great. I remember Rob Cooper saying that he personally had never watched CSI before he wrote/directed this episode, and it shows--all of the flash of the CSI shows, such as the music and the camerawork, is in Vegas, but it just doesn't have the substance. In a certain way, it almost seems as though Rob decided to try out all sorts of cool new things with this episode and not pay attention to whether those things actually fit in the episode.

Plus, there's Rodney. Through the whole episode he was pretty good, and I was just starting to think "Hey, maybe this Rodney isn't half bad!" when he bellows something like "I'm smarter than you anyway!" at poor Dr. Zelenka. That almost totally wrecked it for me. Now why couldn't Rodney be a little different for once?? :mckay:

jelgate
February 11th, 2010, 03:54 PM
like I said, anything's possible

In science fiction technically anything is possible (except Linda making sense) but is it really nesscarry to once again exclude main characters who could be helpful to the pilot.

my bad

I'll forgive you if you insult Linda's writing god

4 years? I mean sure she didn't appear in that many eps in s5 and RL was pregnant during s4. at least they tried to us her pregnancy. but how were they neglecting Teyla during s2 and s3? also what about s1?

She was mostly B stories with the A stories going to Shep, Weir, and McKay

why not?

Because it reeks of bad storytelling to continue neglect characters episode after episode and season after season. Its not that difficult to intergerate them into the plot. We are not expecting to have a main part. But I would at least like them to be significant in the episode instead of wallpaper of absent altogther

no idea. I guess TPTB wanted to produce an ep that was different than any other Atlantis ep. IIRC even Woosley, Keller and Zelenka only appeared in 2 scenes

But at least they were there contributing their skills

Maybe not but it makes about as much sense as having the other Atlantis characters that were there

Because it would be way to much of a concidence not to be.

Go McKeller

Linda06
February 11th, 2010, 04:01 PM
In science fiction technically anything is possible (except Linda making sense) but is it really nesscarry to once again exclude main characters who could be helpful to the pilot.

Well I make sense to me and that's the main thing :D

:mckay:

Because it reeks of bad storytelling to continue neglect characters episode after episode and season after season. Its not that difficult to intergerate them into the plot. We are not expecting to have a main part. But I would at least like them to be significant in the episode instead of wallpaper of absent altogther

*blinks* Well you know what I'm gonna say ;)

Go McKeller

:mckay: *smacks Jel with a clown fish* :D

Jumper_One
February 13th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I know, It's becoming a bit of a habit *scratches head* I'm getting worried :sam34:

me too ;) :S

True, Oh and I was gonna cut out the Rodney parts and then watch it. See how I enjoy it :D

just the Rodney parts? what about Keller? :P

Oh you know they would have. Ronon would move heaven and Earth to find and destroy every last Wraith :p

true but remember Outcast? he wasn't much help destroying the human form replicator. I'm not sure if killing a Wraith would be any different

Well If you're gonna make it so similar to our reality then you may as well go the whole hog :p

that would've been an interesting AR

LOL poor Linda :P I don't know if it's necessary but this isn't the first time that TPTB have excluded certain characters from the main plot ie Shep in Brain Storm

do I have to? :P

what about Ford and Ronon?

I'm sure Linda and others would very much want Teyla to have a significant part in several eps

Keller and Zelenka contributed, not sure about Woolsey. though he did mention Star Trek: The Experience :P

Maybe not but it makes about as much sense as having the other Atlantis characters that were there

actually I think it makes more sense to have Woolsey, Zelenka, Rodney etc appear than PG characters

Because it would be way to much of a concidence not to be.

meh all I'm saying is that's it's a possibility

Go McKeller

:S

jelgate
February 13th, 2010, 02:39 PM
true but remember Outcast? he wasn't much help destroying the human form replicator. I'm not sure if killing a Wraith would be any different

ABove anthing it felt llike a team effort between Ronon and Shep. And I would disagree. Ronon has a lot more experence with Wraith running from them all those years while only a year and half with the Replicators and given they can't be beaten by conventional means Ronon's abilities is limited. Its different with a Wraith

LOL poor Linda :P I don't know if it's necessary but this isn't the first time that TPTB have excluded certain characters from the main plot ie Shep in Brain Storm

Its not so bad doing it once or twice in a season so you can focus on a character. But when its the same characters over and over for over that they are only in a handful of episodes it points a problem and maybe some bady storytelling.

do I have to? :P
Yes. It will amuse me.

Same problem, different degrees. Ford was more underused then Teyla with Ronon being a little more used but not much.

I'm sure Linda and others would very much want Teyla to have a significant part in several eps

I would any main character to have significant contribution in several episodes but their episodes in when certain characters are scaled back to showcase another character. I accpeat that but to keep writing a character out of episode with no contribution is a sign that they don't know what to do what these characters. How very Ford of them

Keller and Zelenka contributed, not sure about Woolsey. though he did mention Star Trek: The Experience :P

He was the leader giving the orders just like in our reality

actually I think it makes more sense to have Woolsey, Zelenka, Rodney etc appear than PG characters

Your entitled to that opinion even if you are wrong. It makes sense to have people have lived under the Wraith actually help locate them since those characters know of Wraith tatics. Its basic stratgety. You get the people who know your enemy the best.

meh all I'm saying is that's it's a possibility
Its also a possibility that I could go out and win the lottery tomorrow. Before are just not likely to happen

:S

Can't be agreeing with Linda too much. Carter was a terrible character.

That was a two birds one stone kind of thing:cool:

Linda06
February 14th, 2010, 06:05 AM
just the Rodney parts? what about Keller? :P

I might cut out some parts with Keller, like the whining in Missing, but other parts I can tolerate. But McKay on the other hand, I just cannot tolerate him at all :S

He hasn't had much experience where the replicators are comcerned. But he has had lots of experience with the Wraith so it's a little different.

that would've been an interesting AR

It sure would :p

Yes but they didn't exclude him from almost every plot that didn't revolve around him. And they managed to shoehorn Shep into BS (hehe I still love that very appropriate abbreviation :p) and McKay into Whispers. But they didn't give the same courtesy to Teyla and Ronon who they just kicked to the kerb when they didn't know what to do with them :D

Well poor Ford was worse than Teyla and Ronon wasn't much better :S :p

People seem to get the wrong idea when I say I want to see more Teyla. Now when I say this I don't mean more Teyla centric eps, but I do want her and Ronon to get a fair crack at the whip and actually be able to contribute in eps, not just their centric eps. Instead of McKay coming up with miracle of the week to save the day 5 seconds before disaster or Shep on his heroic 5 millionth suicide attempt saving the day :p

I disagree, Ronon and Teyla would be better candidates to come to Earth to try track and capture the Wraith. They have far more experience than Zelenka (They have Rodney there so why would they also need another scientist)) and Woolsey (Who may be the leader but is only a beaurocrat and not military). They needed more people with experience of the Wraith.

Its not so bad doing it once or twice in a season so you can focus on a character. But when its the same characters over and over for over that they are only in a handful of episodes it points a problem and maybe some bady storytelling.

Sad but true :(

I would any main character to have significant contribution in several episodes but their episodes in when certain characters are scaled back to showcase another character. I accpeat that but to keep writing a character out of episode with no contribution is a sign that they don't know what to do what these characters. How very Ford of them

"How very Ford of them" :lol: Again, sad but true :(

Your entitled to that opinion even if you are wrong. It makes sense to have people have lived under the Wraith actually help locate them since those characters know of Wraith tatics. Its basic stratgety. You get the people who know your enemy the best.

You would think so eh. But instead we have a beaurocrat, two scientists and a detective who has never even met a Wraith before :rolleyes:

Can't be agreeing with Linda too much. Carter was a terrible character.

That was a two birds one stone kind of thing:cool:

:rolleyes: I could go on and on about terrible characters all day :p

boo1234
September 30th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I found Vegas to be very boring. In fact, I tried to watch it 3 times on DVD and could not keep myself from falling to sleep

Quetzocoetl
September 30th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I loved Vegas, it's easily one of my favorite episodes, but then again... I never really liked Teyla (Ronon on the other hand...).
I'm sure they could have put them in the episode, but it seems to me that they just wouldn't, well, fit well into the episode. I don't mean contextually, I mean thematically. They could be incorporated into the story, but the characters themselves don't fit in with CSI-Atlantis.
But, hey, that's just my opinion.