PDA

View Full Version : Ancients use screws in Stargate

geoffrey
January 22nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
The Ancients used screws when building the stargate.

This is a screenshot I took from hulu, I don't remember what episode. Trust me it is not photoshopped, but I did use photoshop to add the squares.

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/ghmurphy1994/Stargate/Ancientsusescrews.png

jelgate
January 22nd, 2010, 05:46 PM
This is what you call the limits of TV production. We can only go so far to make things look realastic

Kidwizz
January 22nd, 2010, 08:33 PM
This is what you call the limits of TV production. We can only go so far to make things look realastic

Indeed. Also the pic breaks the forum rules. its too wide and the file size is too big.

AVFan
January 28th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Psh.. What is this? Next you're going to be telling me that the gate is made out of plastic or something... Laughable.

:D

maylet
January 28th, 2010, 01:15 PM

And they did the best they could with the money they had

Pharaoh Atem
February 14th, 2010, 02:21 AM
well time to remaster the series then

Metonic
February 14th, 2010, 11:39 AM
the entire franchise is going to need to be reshot because of this

hiro
February 18th, 2010, 11:37 AM
with their budget they move ships , make a sun explode , create a supergate .... don't you think that a few screws that no one has noticed are admissible?

kivawolfspeaker
February 18th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I'm with everyone else. They did what they could with the budget they had.

Dex Luther
March 10th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I'm with everyone else. They did what they could with the budget they had.

They couldn't scrape 10$ from the budget to buy putty to plug the holes? They sell putty that plugs holes in woodworking and dries clear. I don't know what they made the prop out of, but it works with and is available for other materials too (plastic, metals, etc).When used right, it's invisible except maybe to people right next to it inspecting it up close. They could have even used clay and then painted everything the same color.

Heck the could have drove the screws in from the back instead. That wouldn't have cost anything at all.

I never noticed those holes though, so I'm thinking it might have been a new prop and it wasn't 100% finished in time for filming that episode. They used it anyways hoping no one would notice. It happens sometimes. Maybe it's been there all along, but people never noticed it because they didn't have high resolution screen/monitors until now.

jelgate
March 10th, 2010, 12:39 PM
They couldn't scrape 10$ from the budget to buy putty to plug the holes? They sell putty that plugs holes in woodworking and dries clear. I don't know what they made the prop out of, but it works with and is available for other materials too (plastic, metals, etc).When used right, it's invisible except maybe to people right next to it inspecting it up close. They could have even used clay and then painted everything the same color.

Heck the could have drove the screws in from the back instead. That wouldn't have cost anything at all.

I never noticed those holes though, so I'm thinking it might have been a new prop and it wasn't 100% finished in time for filming that episode. They used it anyways hoping no one would notice. It happens sometimes. Maybe it's been there all along, but people never noticed it because they didn't have high resolution screen/monitors until now.

The Stargate needs to be dismantled from time to time for transport

Dex Luther
March 10th, 2010, 01:19 PM
The Stargate needs to be dismantled from time to time for transport

The driving the screws in through the back is the obvious solution to anyone that's ever done any construction or woodworking. Especially when the importance of aesthetics is involved. The only difference is that they'd have to take it apart and put it back together in reverse.

I'm still going with: There were probably caps to hide the holes (like those plastic/rubber ones you get with IKEA furniture), but they were behind schedule and didn't have time or just forgot to put them in. They figured that with the crappyness of TVs at the time no one would ever notice.

Whatsername
March 23rd, 2010, 05:47 PM
Should of just used blu tack =D

anachronism
March 26th, 2010, 05:08 AM
those aren't screws! they're exhaust vents! can't get past thermo dynamics

leeman15251
April 24th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Psh.. What is this? Next you're going to be telling me that the gate is made out of plastic or something... Laughable.

:D

It must be strong plastic. With all of the things that have happend to the gate. lol
Somebody is looking a little to close as the stargates.

s09119
April 28th, 2010, 03:16 PM
those aren't screws! they're exhaust vents! can't get past thermo dynamics

Instead of on the floor like on Destiny, they moved the vents into the chevrons! Ingenious!

Oainn
May 1st, 2010, 03:29 AM
gunshots,... that's all. obvious, isn't it?;)