PDA

View Full Version : SyFy/Neilsen Caprica Rating Predictions/Discussions

Pages : [1] 2

Madwelshboy
January 22nd, 2010, 07:50 AM
With Caprica premiering tonight on Syfy, I thought i'd create a thread for all ratings related news. discussion and predictions.

So with the pilot now been available in multiple formats already for some time, how do you think it will preform tonight??

EvilSpaceAlien
January 22nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
I hope that it preforms well. Caprica is essentially Syfy's flagships show and it's expensive, so it needs to get good ratings. I'm hoping for at least a 1.9 for the pilot.

Replicator Todd
January 22nd, 2010, 08:55 AM
I'm not sure if the pilot will have good ratings because it has already been released on DVD. But I hope for the best, I will watch the pilot anyways to support the show.

jelgate
January 22nd, 2010, 09:11 AM
I hope that it preforms well. Caprica is essentially Syfy's flagships show and it's expensive, so it needs to get good ratings. I'm hoping for at least a 1.9 for the pilot.

Pfft. Good luck with a 1.9. And I have never once heard SyFy call Caprica their flagship show

Jumper_One
January 22nd, 2010, 11:58 AM
So with the pilot now been available in multiple formats already for some time, how do you think it will preform tonight??

1.3 for live +sd; 1.4-1.5 after live +7

DigiFluid
January 22nd, 2010, 12:05 PM
I'm not really expecting it to do well, to be honest.

Angela V
January 22nd, 2010, 09:06 PM
I'm in Canada so my ratings don't matter however I have seen it on DVD and still watched it on SPACE. Though the Haiti concert was on so that could affect the ratings.

Briangate78
January 23rd, 2010, 06:29 AM
oooooooooo great a new shiny ratings thread to compare BSG and a new series. They will of course spin any numbers and compare it to the last season of BSG which pulled around like 2.2 to 2.3 million viewers for the season average. However, I do not see the pilot getting anything above a 1.5 HH rating, since the pilot has been available in multiple markets like DVD and itunes, and the net. So a 1.5 rating is being generous. I watched the pilot, and I thought it was ok. I think SyFy is expecting a low turnout for the premiere, it is the next several eps and keeping people interested is their main concern really.

Lord Kira
January 23rd, 2010, 12:36 PM
I'm not expecting much for last night's premiere, due to the pilot being on DVD for almost a year, being available online, and the Hope for Haiti telethon last night.

Next week's episode is whats important.

DigiFluid
January 23rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
oooooooooo great a new shiny ratings thread to compare BSG and a new series. They will of course spin any numbers and compare it to the last season of BSG
...why would you compare it to anything but the most recent incarnation of the franchise?

jelgate
January 23rd, 2010, 12:54 PM
...why would you compare it to anything but the most recent incarnation of the franchise?

Because that is how the networks work. Watch them compare it to all the BSG seasons it surpassed. They might even compare to Stargate if they are good enough

Briangate78
January 23rd, 2010, 01:19 PM

Yeah, um I was being sarcastic. We know that is how the ratings spin game works.

As per Caprica, I don't want to say my opinion of where the ratings will go or the show, because don't want to jinx it.

DigiFluid
January 23rd, 2010, 01:20 PM
But that doesn't make any sense, it's a franchise. You compare it to the most recent incarnation to see how it's doing relatively. If you're isolating comparison to one series, you compare the season 4, 3, and 2 premieres to the season 1 premiere. But Caprica doesn't have those yet, so it'll get compared to BSG season 4.5.

There's no logic or sense in comparing season 1 premieres between two totally different series. The franchise is in a totally different place, the TV market is in a totally different place, the whole frakkin' world is in a different place. So you compare it to the most recent comparison point, it's the only thing that makes sense.

Briangate78
January 23rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
But that doesn't make any sense, it's a franchise. You compare it to the most recent incarnation to see how it's doing relatively. If you're isolating comparison to one series, you compare the season 4, 3, and 2 premieres to the season 1 premiere. But Caprica doesn't have those yet, so it'll get compared to BSG season 4.5.

There's no logic or sense in comparing season 1 premieres between two totally different series. The franchise is in a totally different place, the TV market is in a totally different place, the whole frakkin' world is in a different place. So you compare it to the most recent comparison point, it's the only thing that makes sense.

Your point?

jelgate
January 23rd, 2010, 01:33 PM

Never expect sense from the networks. They use the numbers to paint the show in a positive light rather its accurate of not. Unless your Flash Gordon. Those numbers can't be spun in a positive light

Detox
January 24th, 2010, 12:29 PM

No, Stargate Universe is SyFy's flagship franchise, and it's more expensive than Caprica especially if you look at the casting for the show.

That said, I doubt Caprica will do better in the ratings than SGU. In fact, I'm calling it. It seems like everything that everyone hated about SGU is in Caprica, but in far greater quantity. The pilot was really slow, there were a lot of religious overtones, much more than the original BSG reboot, and the teenagers in Caprica are actually teenagers and far more annoying than Chloe can ever be.

I'm going to say 1.7 million for the premiere, it'll hold steady for the episode after that, because the people who've already seen it a year ago will likely want to see how it pans out a few episodes down the road.

jelgate
January 24th, 2010, 01:35 PM
No, Stargate Universe is SyFy's flagship franchise, and it's more expensive than Caprica especially if you look at the casting for the show.

That said, I doubt Caprica will do better in the ratings than SGU. In fact, I'm calling it. It seems like everything that everyone hated about SGU is in Caprica, but in far greater quantity. The pilot was really slow, there were a lot of religious overtones, much more than the original BSG reboot, and the teenagers in Caprica are actually teenagers and far more annoying than Chloe can ever be.

I'm going to say 1.7 million for the premiere, it'll hold steady for the episode after that, because the people who've already seen it a year ago will likely want to see how it pans out a few episodes down the road.
Actually Caprica is more expensive then SGU. Caprica was so expensive that it went from 20 episodes to 19.

Briangate78
January 24th, 2010, 01:46 PM

Actually SG-1,SGA. and SGU are SyFy's flagship franchise. :p The GH franchise is their reality docudrama flagship series, and Stargate is their drama flagship franchise.

I agree about Caprica it was just ok for my taste, and very slow. I am likely not going to watch the next episode. I did not even program my DVR for the season.

As per the ratings, well BSG the Plan managed to only drum up a measly million viewers. I don't think we will see any comparisons from BSG last season because it would be negative spin, and the network never does that obviously, unless they are NBC executives, lol. Sorry a little Conan O'Brien joke there.

Madwelshboy
January 25th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Caprica Premieres to 1.6 Million Viewers on Syfy

Friday night’s two hour premiere of Battlestar Galactica prequel Caprica averaged 1.6 million viewers. But between a DVD release almost a year ago now and the premiere being available online via Hulu and Syfy.com for weeks ahead of the premiere there’s not much to be made from Friday’s numbers. Plus its first hour it was up against the Hope for Haiti Now Telethon on practically every other channel!

The real test comes with the next episodes

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/01/25/caprica-premieres-to-1-6-million-viewers-on-syfy/40083

jelgate
January 25th, 2010, 01:18 PM

Friday night’s two hour premiere of Battlestar Galactica prequel Caprica averaged 1.6 million viewers. But between a DVD release almost a year ago now and the premiere being available online via Hulu and Syfy.com for weeks ahead of the premiere there’s not much to be made from Friday’s numbers. Plus its first hour it was up against the Hope for Haiti Now Telethon on practically every other channel!

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/01/25/caprica-premieres-to-1-6-million-viewers-on-syfy/40083

Ah spin where have you been? I don't buy the Hope for Haiti excuse as the numbers were down on that for every channel so obviously not many were watching it. In fact I don't buy the DVD excuse either. Yes it would be foolish to expect a high pilot ratings but not something this low. I will say this though the post-pilot decline will be smaller but I don't expect good numbers in the future

Jumper_One
January 25th, 2010, 03:06 PM

probably a 1.3 for live +sd

Briangate78
January 25th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Ah spin where have you been? I don't buy the Hope for Haiti excuse as the numbers were down on that for every channel so obviously not many were watching it. In fact I don't buy the DVD excuse either. Yes it would be foolish to expect a high pilot ratings but not something this low. I will say this though the post-pilot decline will be smaller but I don't expect good numbers in the future

Those are bad numbers, no way to spin that.

I also think Caprica is not appealing. Granted I have some concerns with SGU, but it still is a good solid show that has a lot of potential. I think Caprica is going to be SyFy's first big bomb.

Briangate78
January 25th, 2010, 07:01 PM
probably a 1.3 for live +sd

Not quite, but close. :p

jelgate
January 25th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Those are bad numbers, no way to spin that.

I also think Caprica is not appealing. Granted I have some concerns with SGU, but it still is a good solid show that has a lot of potential. I think Caprica is going to be SyFy's first big bomb.

They have biombed worse then this before. Painkiller Jane

Briangate78
January 25th, 2010, 07:14 PM
They have biombed worse then this before. Painkiller Jane

Nope! :D Flash ah ah Gordon. :p

Replicator Todd
January 25th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Nope! :D Flash ah ah Gordon. :p

I liked that show...

Madwelshboy
January 26th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Syfy’s Innovative Caprica Marketing Generates 1.5 Million Pre-Premier Audience

January 19, 2010 — Prior to the highly anticipated January 22 premiere of Caprica, Syfy’s innovative distribution and marketing campaign has generated a viewing audience of 1.5 million viewers for the two-hour pilot episode across a wide range of platforms from Hulu, Syfy.com, DVD, FOD (Free on Demand), Apple and Amazon to featured screenings at prestigious film festivals.

continues:
http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/01/19/syfys-innovative-caprica-marketing-generates-1-5-million-pre-premier-audience/39280

jelgate
January 26th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I'm going to get dizzy from all this ratings spin:P

Replicator Todd
January 26th, 2010, 06:49 AM

Um, I don't understand ratings very much. What do you mean by spin? :o

EvilSpaceAlien
January 26th, 2010, 07:09 AM

Yeah, I'm starting to feel like this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y_1TmbMbi0).

jelgate
January 26th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Um, I don't understand ratings very much. What do you mean by spin? :o

In laymen's terms it means to word the numbers in a positive or negative (this is rare light). If I say Caprica earned 1.5 million viewers that is just the facts. But when I start listing reasons or comparing the numbers to paint Caprica in a different light I'm spinning. The network is justfying their low Pilot numbers with the DVD realase of the pilot which is spin

MediaSavant
January 26th, 2010, 12:47 PM
In laymen's terms it means to word the numbers in a positive or negative (this is rare light). If I say Caprica earned 1.5 million viewers that is just the facts. But when I start listing reasons or comparing the numbers to paint Caprica in a different light I'm spinning. The network is justfying their low Pilot numbers with the DVD realase of the pilot which is spin

From what I can tell, the theories for Caprica's low numbers were not written by the network but Robert Seidman of TVbytheNumbers. He is an independent ratings analyst and commentator. What he wrote struck me more as a hypothesis for the ratings numbers rather than reasons or excuses. He even said "there’s not much to be made from Friday’s numbers."

I tend to agree based on what was available to him, but I think other ratings analysis--probably not available to him--could at least solve the question of whether the Haiti special had any impact. Someone with access to Nielsen software--and I don't think Seidman does--could run the numbers by hour to answer that question.

Whether the early DVD's had an impact would be answered if the ratings rose next week.

Personally--and this is opinion--I don't think they should have had enough impact for it to only generate 1.6 million viewers. But, then, BSG didn't average much above that during it's final season on a Live + SD basis. It usually got a big DVR lift to Live + 7 (the biggest of any TV show according to Nielsen).

I also don't agree that ratings numbers should be given in a vacuum with no commentary at all. If you tell me a show has X number of viewers, I usually want an idea of how that compares to other shows on the network to sense whether that's good or bad.

Briangate78
January 26th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Honestly 2 years ago, I would say Caprica is screwed and going to sink faster than the Titanic, but we are living in a different world. Shows like Stargate, BSG, and W13 have added so much to the on-line streaming, internet downloading, and DVR playback. It is just a different world now, but I don't think everyone is caught up yet in internet viewing as much as people think. 1.5 Million as they claim with DVD sales, itunes, streaming, and etc is not really a big number to me. With that said, I think shows like Caprica and SGU still need to perform well on TV. DVR and on-line viewing cannot be used as an excuse, because many shows should be still running if that was the case, if all those things truly all counted in the revenue.

MediaSavant
January 26th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Since this is a predictions thread, I predict Caprica will not last me than the current episode order.

Briangate78
January 26th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Since this is a predictions thread, I predict Caprica will not last me than the current episode order.

I would have to take your prediction and raise it by two since I agree.

Replicator Todd
January 26th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I honestly don't see any Friday Syfy show doing well ratings-wise. Maybe Thursday? Or Monday?

Briangate78
January 26th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I honestly don't see any Friday Syfy show doing well ratings-wise.

SG-1, BSG, SGA and SGU all did fine.

Replicator Todd
January 26th, 2010, 06:56 PM
SG-1, BSG, SGA and SGU all did fine.

:indeed: But aren't the ratings quite low nowadays?

jelgate
January 26th, 2010, 07:33 PM
:indeed: But aren't the ratings quite low nowadays?

Thats the thing. If we use modern standards (like say SGU and Sanctuary) Caprica's numbers were quite low. I don't think Sanctuary's End of Nights were this low and then you factor in this was the Pilot which tradationally have severely high numbers its boils down a bleak future. I'll wait to see future episode numbers before I put off Caprica

MediaSavant
January 27th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Since this is a predictions thread, I predict Caprica will not last more than the current episode order.

I just want people to know that I don't say that as a BSG hater. I really liked BSG a lot. I haven't seen Caprica. It's just a combination of the first ratings and a perceived lack of buzz.

Briangate78
January 27th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I just want people to know that I don't say that as a BSG hater. I really liked BSG a lot. I haven't seen Caprica. It's just a combination of the first ratings and a perceived lack of buzz.

Good thing you clarified that, because other than myself and some other posters people may think you are negative spinning to make the show look bad, but in reality you are just presenting the facts and what is there, like you do with the Stargate shows.

Madwelshboy
February 1st, 2010, 01:23 PM
Caprica No Ratings Juggernaut

Caprica’s episode on Friday night averaged a .5 rating with adults 18-49 and 1.411 million viewers. That compares with 1.6 million viewers and a 0.4 adults 18-49 rating for the pilot episode. But the pilot was two hours, and was widely available in a variety of ways (online, on-demand, DVD) well before the pilot actually aired.

It’s early, but those numbers strike me as a bit disappointing. I know, I know, just wait until the live+7 DVR numbers come in…

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/02/01/caprica-no-ratings-juggernaut/40776

RealmOfX
February 1st, 2010, 01:27 PM
Caprica (9pm, 63 minutes)
- 1.411 million viewers
- 0.9/1 HH
- 0.5/1 A18-49

PI forum (http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=32410241&f=63310451&m=581108172&r=497103272#497103272)

jelgate
February 1st, 2010, 01:29 PM
Caprica No Ratings Juggernaut

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/02/01/caprica-no-ratings-juggernaut/40776
I predict a 1.1 HH number. Either way its bad for the episode after the pilot. Cancellation here we come

Briangate78
February 1st, 2010, 02:13 PM
I predict a 1.1 HH number. Either way its bad for the episode after the pilot. Cancellation here we come

I think it is more like a 1.0 HH rating. Yeah, I would not get too attached to this show. Not only were the total viewers low, but the age demos, although were up from the pilot.

jelgate
February 1st, 2010, 03:51 PM
I think it is more like a 1.0 HH rating. Yeah, I would not get too attached to this show. Not only were the total viewers low, but the age demos, although were up from the pilot.

Well we know HH numbers ratio can flucate due to the different kinds of HHs that are watching but the general rule seems to be the SyFy number is 0.2 HH in addition to the national number but I admit that the Syfy number can be as low as 1.0 or as high as 1.2. Wheither the number is its incredibly low

Madwelshboy
February 8th, 2010, 01:27 PM
“Caprica” Drops; Out-Rated By “Swamp Loggers“

In its third week, Caprica dropped again, to 1.128 million viewers and a .4 adults 18-49 rating. It was out-rated by Discovery’s Swamp Loggers (which airs at 10p — Caprica airs at 9p) which averaged 1.49 million and a .7 rating with adults 18-49.

Caprica’s episode a week ago averaged a .5 rating with adults 18-49 and 1.411 million viewers. That compares with 1.6 million viewers and a 0.4 adults 18-49 rating for the pilot episode.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/02/08/caprica-drops-out-rated-by-swamp-loggers/41427

jelgate
February 8th, 2010, 01:35 PM
So who wants to place bets on cancellation? I say early March.

Jumper_One
February 8th, 2010, 02:05 PM
So who wants to place bets on cancellation? I say early March.

1.6 million, 1.4 million, 1.1 million... yeah march sounds about right

RealmOfX
February 8th, 2010, 02:06 PM
from PI Forum :
http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63310451/m/275104372/p/5

Caprica (9pm)
- 1.128 million viewers
- 0.7/1 HH
- 0.4/1 A18-49

That's about a 0.8 rating (depending on rounding of National rating)

Osiris
February 8th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Ouch! That's quite bad...

It's a shame because the show is promising.

Briangate78
February 8th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Word on SyFy's front...........Ain't looking good. I would not get too attached.

jelgate
February 8th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I don't know what you are talking about Brian.

This is Flash Gordon good:P

Pharaoh Atem
February 8th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I don't know what you are talking about Brian.

This is Flash Gordon good:P

'smacks jel" :P

jelgate
February 8th, 2010, 05:56 PM
'smacks jel" :P

I know your BSG fanatic but the truth hurts:P

DigiFluid
February 8th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I'd really hate to have Caprica get cancelled. Can't say I'd be terribly shocked though =/

Pharaoh Atem
February 8th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I know your BSG fanatic but the truth hurts:P

it doesn't i've read the stories i know caprica isn't doing well. and i'll admit i'm not hooked on the series like i am to bsg

Replicator Todd
February 8th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Word on SyFy's front...........Ain't looking good. I would not get too attached.

Too late! Uh-oh I hope a storm isn't approaching....

the fifth man
February 8th, 2010, 07:17 PM
It will be a shame if this does get canceled. I am starting to really enjoy it, but the ratings are definitely not good.

Pharaoh Atem
February 8th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Too late! Uh-oh I hope a storm isn't approaching....

the last time a storm was predicated in the bsg universe the fleet was ambushed :(.

BayGateScape
February 9th, 2010, 10:08 AM
It might get cancelled; I'm actually holding off from watching it; don't like to get my hopes up and to get it cancelled after Season 1 only.

DigiFluid
February 9th, 2010, 01:51 PM
It might get cancelled; I'm actually holding off from watching it; don't like to get my hopes up and to get it cancelled after Season 1 only.
Us science fiction fans should be used to it by now.... =/

Pharaoh Atem
February 9th, 2010, 05:14 PM

oh yea

Commander Zelix
February 10th, 2010, 07:32 AM
You probably mean: "Us soap opera fans", if you're talking about Caprica. :P

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/02/caprica-ron-moore.html

Ron Moore himself admits Caprica is a primetime soap opera.

As a Sci-fi fans, I have nothing against you guys who likes Caprica, but I'm kind of glad this experiment is an utter failure in ratings and hope it stays down like a good puppy. Hooray for sci-fi "trappings" and hardware (whatever that means). lol

*end of "rubbing noses in it" activity*

EvilSpaceAlien
February 10th, 2010, 07:54 AM

I believe that the correct term would be "us sci fi soap opera fans". :P

The show still has lots of sci fi elements like robots, et cetera, and therefore the correct term would sci fi soap opera or sci fi drama. ;)

DigiFluid
February 10th, 2010, 08:50 AM

As a Sci-fi fans, I have nothing against you guys who likes Caprica, but I'm kind of glad this experiment is an utter failure in ratings and hope it stays down like a good puppy. Hooray for sci-fi "trappings" and hardware (whatever that means). lol

zzzzzzzz

Gallienus
February 13th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Okay so I have a question for you guys. If you're a BSG fan, why do you like Caprica at all? I liked BSG, it had its flaws and was no masterpiece, but it was good enough that it keep me interested throughout the entire series run. That at least to me says the show was successful, no mater what shortcomings it may have had. When I heard about Caprica though I couldn't figure out why I'd want to see it. I saw no continuity between the original program and its spinoff. Was Ronald Moore hoping to score an -entirely new- audience for Caprica? I just don't get it, I've seen all the Caprica episodes so far and I don't understand what the appeal would be for me. There's no cylon war, no spaceships, no battles, no military, no political intrigue (as such), and most certainly little to no action (thus far). It's almost as though we've gone back in time to 1994 and someone thought it'd be a good idea to make a teen drama spinoff of the Outer Limits. Intriguing concept I suppose, but why should I care?

Seriously, what do any of you who enjoyed BSG get out of this? I really want to know, because I just don't see it. Caprica is a mess; a mix of so many threads and visuals and thematic motifs that I can't tell where its going or where its been. I guess I sympathize with Eric Stoltz's character, but I'm just mystified. I personally don't see the appeal, is it because I'm 31? If I was 18 would it be a different story? I really wish I'd been in on the focus groups, marketing research and surveys that someone did to determine that Caprica was a winner with BSG fans. I mean, come on, that work had to have been done, no body would sign off on this kind of a spinoff unless someone, somewhere had done the work necessary to show it would be a profit-gainer. I'm just clueless here.

I will note that despite my reservations much of the banter over on the imdb forums has been positive for Caprica and most of what I read here is positive. I don't like it but apparently some people, for some reason do. I could really use some enlightenment folks!

DigiFluid
February 13th, 2010, 08:38 PM
In a broad sense, I'm enjoying seeing the birth of the Cylon race.

And in dissecting that, I like the Zoe/avatar/robot angle, I like the interplay between that and Lacy, as well as between Lacy and Sister Clarice. I enjoy the questionable mentor role that uncle Sam is having over the young man who grows up to be the Old Man, and the strange and conflicted relationship between Joseph and Daniel. The parallel Graystone/Adama stories of tragic family loss from a terrorist attack by a radical religious group ring intriguingly true in a modern world. In a more stylistic sense, I love the look and feel of the series, and am quite enjoying the score so far as well--though that could do with a bit of diversification.

In short, I'm thoroughly enjoying the story for what it is: an interesting story, with an ancillary focus on being the roots of the BSG that I loved so dear.

Sure I know how it all ends, but that doesn't really matter. I don't skip over reading about the life of Julius Caesar just because I know he gets killed.

Skydiver
February 14th, 2010, 08:02 AM
As fascinating as the topic may be, the topic for THIS THREAD is ratings, not how people feel in general.

So maybe the general discussion of likes and dislikes should be taken to its own thread

Briangate78
February 18th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Getting back on topic. This show is likely not going to make it past it's 1st season. The viewers are just not there, and they skew older than shows like SGA, BSG, and SGU.

Sp!der
February 18th, 2010, 06:54 AM
nooooooo again another brilliant (yes brilliant) show will get axed, first terminator now this. only thats left worth watching are lost and chuck. damn.

Briangate78
February 18th, 2010, 07:55 AM
nooooooo again another brilliant (yes brilliant) show will get axed, first terminator now this. only thats left worth watching are lost and chuck. damn.

Sometimes a show can be clever, dynamic, and have good writing, but just has bad luck finding an audience.

Sp!der
February 18th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Sometimes a show can be clever, dynamic, and have good writing, but just has bad luck finding an audience.

yeah like dollhouse, firefly,..... etc both whedons shows, funny.

jelgate
February 18th, 2010, 09:52 AM

I know. How dare the network cancel a show that is not pulling in an audience:rolleyes:

Briangate78
February 18th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I know. How dare the network cancel a show that is not pulling in an audience:rolleyes:

I think what stinks even more is a show that is cancelled but still performing well, since it is in like the top 3 shows for the network.

jelgate
February 18th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I think what stinks even more is a show that is cancelled but still performing well, since it is in like the top 3 shows for the network.

It depends on the other factors as well. We know renewal is more then just the ratings

Madwelshboy
February 18th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Syfy Standing Firmly Behind 'Caprica'

Thanks to the Internet and a thirst for information, television fans in 2010 are far more savvy than they have ever been before. Blogs, message boards, even Twitter are filled with discussions dissecting ratings, audience attitude and instant reactions to just about anything that pops up on the boob tube. But while smarter viewers typically result in smarter programs, it can sometimes backfire into rampant speculation that could help bury a show.

That's exactly what Syfy doesn't want to happen to its newest series "Caprica." And no matter what Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello wants to predict with his cable scorecard, network executives say the "Battlestar Galactica" spinoff is here to stay.

"We're definitely with 'Caprica' for the long haul," Syfy's VP of original programming Mark Stern told Airlock Alpha Thursday. "There's no question about it. We knew exactly what it was not going to be, that is an easily adopted show. It's not 'Battlestar Galactica,' it's its own animal. And we definitely recognize that it's going to find its audience and it's going to grow its audience."

continues:
http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/7148

Replicator Todd
February 18th, 2010, 06:50 PM
So, as you were saying Brian and Jel? :P

Looks like SyFy might give Caprica a second season no matter what! :D

Pharaoh Atem
February 18th, 2010, 07:07 PM

Thanks to the Internet and a thirst for information, television fans in 2010 are far more savvy than they have ever been before. Blogs, message boards, even Twitter are filled with discussions dissecting ratings, audience attitude and instant reactions to just about anything that pops up on the boob tube. But while smarter viewers typically result in smarter programs, it can sometimes backfire into rampant speculation that could help bury a show.

That's exactly what Syfy doesn't want to happen to its newest series "Caprica." And no matter what Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello wants to predict with his cable scorecard, network executives say the "Battlestar Galactica" spinoff is here to stay.

"We're definitely with 'Caprica' for the long haul," Syfy's VP of original programming Mark Stern told Airlock Alpha Thursday. "There's no question about it. We knew exactly what it was not going to be, that is an easily adopted show. It's not 'Battlestar Galactica,' it's its own animal. And we definitely recognize that it's going to find its audience and it's going to grow its audience."

continues:

can i get a woot woot

the fifth man
February 18th, 2010, 07:20 PM

I sure hope so. So far, I am really enjoying this show. Yeah, it is totally different in tone from BSG. To me, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

jelgate
February 18th, 2010, 08:40 PM

Isn't the 1st time I have heard SyFy spin BS and it won't be the last

EvilSpaceAlien
February 18th, 2010, 11:13 PM

continues:

While I like these news, I'm not going to get my hopes up when there's a big risk that Syfy will crush them.

Angela V
February 18th, 2010, 11:23 PM
I hope this is true. I don't want to get sucked into a thoughtful show and then be left hanging like Kings! Or Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Sp!der
February 19th, 2010, 04:37 AM
oh yeah.... dont get me started on KINGS, I think that one is one of the BEST Tv Shows outthere, and NBC had to pull the plug on this show. what a shame, great actors, intelligent (most of time) plot! I was soo sad that they canceled KINGS.....

Osiristi
February 19th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I wish this wasn't false hope. It's a great series but the ratings ARE very low :/

Killdeer
February 19th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Robert Seidman weighs in -

Is Syfy Really In It For The Long Haul With Caprica? (http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/02/19/is-syfy-really-in-it-for-the-long-haul-with-caprica/42415)

Briangate78
February 19th, 2010, 10:07 AM

No, this is hype and PR stuff to get people to still watch. If they cancel the show now, people may not continue to watch knowing it will be cancelled. Trust me, they will hold out as long as they can.

I'm sorry, but if this show gets renewed, then they should bring back SGA which pulled in much better numbers than this, and gurantee SGU a 5 year deal. Caprica is more expensive than both of these shows.

Replicator Todd
February 19th, 2010, 12:44 PM
No, this is hype and PR stuff to get people to still watch. If they cancel the show now, people may not continue to watch knowing it will be cancelled. Trust me, they will hold out as long as they can.

I'm sorry, but if this show gets renewed, then they should bring back SGA which pulled in much better numbers than this, and gurantee SGU a 5 year deal. Caprica is more expensive than both of these shows.

Yeah i'm going to be a little offended if Caprica is renewed while it has low ratings, I'll ask "why the heck was SGA and SG1 cancelled!?"
I think SyFy gets crazier every passing day. The really need to step the promotion for Caprica if they want more viewers.

jelgate
February 19th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Yeah i'm going to be a little offended if Caprica is renewed while it has low ratings, I'll ask "why the heck was SGA and SG1 cancelled!?"
I think SyFy gets crazier every passing day. The really need to step the promotion for Caprica if they want more viewers.

creative decision and high production costs.

Detox
February 19th, 2010, 03:18 PM
The really need to step the promotion for Caprica if they want more viewers.

The issue doesn't seem to be that people don't know about the show, the issues seems more to be that people just don't like the show.

Also, does anyone have the numbers for last week? If it was even a new episode?

jelgate
February 19th, 2010, 03:45 PM
The issue doesn't seem to be that people don't know about the show, the issues seems more to be that people just don't like the show.

Also, does anyone have the numbers for last week? If it was even a new episode?Their was no new episode last week due to what I expect is because of the Winter Olympics Opening Cermony.

Republibot 3.0
February 19th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hi, everyone. I'm a new user.

The ratings are disasterous. They've dropped half a million viewers in three weeks, and tonight's episode will probably pull under a million viewers, though it'll probably rebound a bit next week.

I think the show is pretty clearly doomed, and I think when they say "We're in it for the long haul," they probably just mean "We're in it for a season," as with that disasterous Flash Gordon series that no one watched, but which they did the full 20 eps on. Do a season, and hope to recoup some of their losses on the DVD box set. Which, in this case, is kind of a drag as I kinda' dig Caprica, to my surprise (I despised the last couple years of BSG)

I've never quite figured out the thought process behind Syfy. It's almost like they refuse to follow the model of their sister network, USA, which manages to crank out a half-dozen well regarded, high-ratings, well-written shows every season, while Syfy seems barely able to have two shows running at once, and can never seem to generate any momentum for their original programming.

Replicator Todd
February 19th, 2010, 05:45 PM
creative decision and high production costs.

Higher than Caprica?

DigiFluid
February 19th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I would think that's likely, yes.

Briangate78
February 19th, 2010, 06:06 PM

Also, does anyone have the numbers for last week? If it was even a new episode?

There was no new eps but some Live+7 numbers came out. I happen to know that not even with Live+7 did the show manage to get above 2 Million viewers.

the fifth man
February 19th, 2010, 07:02 PM
While I like these news, I'm not going to get my hopes up when there's a big risk that Syfy will crush them.

They are good at that, aren't they?;)

jelgate
February 19th, 2010, 07:11 PM
They are good at that, aren't they?;)

SyFy for all its faults keeps on to their shows as much as possible. But it is still a business and if a prodcut isn't performing time to replace it

the fifth man
February 19th, 2010, 07:12 PM
SyFy for all its faults keeps on to their shows as much as possible. But it is still a business and if a prodcut isn't performing time to replace it

I have just been burned a lot by them over the years.

Replicator Todd
February 19th, 2010, 07:25 PM

Last I remember though The Dresden Files had decent ratings but it wasn't cancelled anyways.

Oh well, back on topic! I hope Caprica survives!

Republibot 3.0
February 20th, 2010, 05:22 AM
@ Briangate: Oh, they certainly didn't get above two million! They haven't even gotten close to two million yet. The premier was 1.6 million, the 2nd ep was 1.4 million, the 3rd ep was 1.1 million. I'd be really surprised if last night's showing got even a million.

Republibot 3.0
February 20th, 2010, 05:29 AM
To be honest, I don't really think Syfy has much loyalty to their shows. I mean, they killed SG1 when it was their second-highest-rated show because it was someone else's originally, and SGA was "Theirs." I've been told they figured if they killed SG1, then fans would have to go to SGA for their fix. Then they killed SGA mainly because it never performed as well as the show they'd killed, and started SGU, which I really like, but which seems almost designed to alienate casual fans. Despite it being their flagship show, they treated BSG terribly, and the fans worse, though I do think their decision to cancel that one was justified. Meanwhile, they hold on to low-budget crap like "Flash Gordon" that noooooooooooo oneeeeeeeee likes, or watches, mainly because it's low budget and fills up their schedule.

The crazy thing to me is that Syfy's mandate is allegedly SF, but they consistently manage to show less of it than BBC America, who's mandate is *NOT* SF. There's no real excuse for it, Syfy is just doing a bad job.

Briangate78
February 20th, 2010, 06:03 AM
@ Briangate: Oh, they certainly didn't get above two million! They haven't even gotten close to two million yet. The premier was 1.6 million, the 2nd ep was 1.4 million, the 3rd ep was 1.1 million. I'd be really surprised if last night's showing got even a million.

I'm referring to the time shifting audience that gets added later. But yeah the numbers above are what really counts.

Madwelshboy
February 22nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
Against Olympics, Caprica Steady With 18-49, But Older Viewers Drop Off

Caprica dipped under a million average viewers on Friday night against the Olympics (after taking the week off against the opening ceremonies in Vancouver on 2/12), averaging .976 million. But while total viewers dropped, the 18-49 rating has been flat, at least when rounded to one decimal place. But rounded to one decimal, the four weeks caprica have aired, including the two hour premiere had 0.4, 0.5, 0.4 and 0.4 as far as adults 18-49 ratings.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/02/22/against-olympics-caprica-steady-with-18-49-but-older-viewers-drop-off/42678

the fifth man
February 22nd, 2010, 06:37 PM
I keep hoping this show will improve in the ratings. I mean come on people!

DigiFluid
February 22nd, 2010, 06:57 PM
Why can't SyFy be like HBO or Starz and renew shows before they even start airing? :p

Briangate78
February 22nd, 2010, 06:58 PM
Wow this is like Flash Gordon numbers. :S

jelgate
February 22nd, 2010, 08:38 PM
Why can't SyFy be like HBO or Starz and renew shows before they even start airing? :p
Do you really want me to answer that question?

Wow this is like Flash Gordon numbers. :S
I thought Flash Gordon got at least a million viewers:P

Briangate78
February 23rd, 2010, 06:05 AM

Ouch! :p

Republibot 3.0
February 23rd, 2010, 08:22 AM
Ha! Called it!

It should rebound a bit after the Olympics are over, but I'd be surprised if it gets above 1.3 at any point between now and the season finale.

DigiFluid
February 23rd, 2010, 09:24 AM
Mid-season finale. Because as we now know, Syfy is planning on airing the second half sometime this summer. If the bad ratings haven't already killed the show, I imagine the stupidly long break will =\

the fifth man
February 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM
Mid-season finale. Because as we now know, Syfy is planning on airing the second half sometime this summer. If the bad ratings haven't already killed the show, I imagine the stupidly long break will =\

A long break certainly won't help this show.:(

jelgate
February 23rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
A long break certainly won't help this show.:(

As low as these numbers are it won't hurt it:P

Briangate78
February 24th, 2010, 06:40 AM
As low as these numbers are it won't hurt it:P

People should not even bring up the competition card. Because there was no competition for the first 3 eps.

the fifth man
February 24th, 2010, 07:43 PM
People should not even bring up the competition card. Because there was no competition for the first 3 eps.

It just sucks, because personally, I am enjoying this show. I really want it to do better, but......:(

Sp!der
February 25th, 2010, 08:37 AM
It just sucks, because personally, I am enjoying this show. I really want it to do better, but......:(

yes mesa love it to. with SG:U, V and LOST its my favorite show at the moment.

Girlbot
February 25th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I liked Flash Gordon :(

Briangate78
February 25th, 2010, 05:02 PM

This happened to The Dresden Files. It just was not pulling in the audience SyFy wanted.

Replicator Todd
February 25th, 2010, 10:08 PM

*high five* At least i'm not the only one. I like Caprica too.....

Jeff O'Connor
February 26th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I do, too. But those are... sub-million numbers. Seriously, wtf.

Ukko
February 26th, 2010, 12:41 PM

Well, thats 3 of us.:D

Poor Caprica:(

SGFerrit
February 27th, 2010, 03:58 AM
After the most recent episode, it certainly deserves it's numbers to take a sharp turn in ^ direction.

chrono trigger
February 27th, 2010, 02:45 PM

i thought flash gordon was good as well not keen on caprica though

the fifth man
February 27th, 2010, 06:12 PM
i thought flash gordon was good as well not keen on caprica though

You thought Flash Gordon was good? Wow!

Pharaoh Atem
February 27th, 2010, 06:18 PM

burn :P

i didn't like it either

Replicator Todd
February 27th, 2010, 07:17 PM

I did too...:o, its very easy to get me to like a show. I sure hope Caprica survives by the end of its season.

chrono trigger
February 28th, 2010, 09:14 AM

its the only show i actually feel guilty about likeing

the fifth man
February 28th, 2010, 06:57 PM
its the only show i actually feel guilty about likeing

It wasn't all terrible IMO. Just most of it.;)

Briangate78
February 28th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Oh come on now! Flash Gordon was the shiznet!! :p

jelgate
February 28th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Flash Gordon and Caprica are no Painkiller Jane

Madwelshboy
March 1st, 2010, 06:40 AM
Has Caprica Season Two Been Given The Green Light?

After such a Lengthy commissioning process, and a slightly shaky start, a second helping of Batlestar Galactica spin-off Caprica was not necessarily a given. But fans that were expecting to be singing "Cylon, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodnight!" at the end of season one can breathe a sigh of relief: Caprica will definitely be returning to our screens.

While the Syfy channel are still remaining tight-lipped about season two's prospects, the show’s critical plaudits have been a delightful surprise. So much so, that they’ve already begun hiring staff for season two behind the scenes, according to a source working on the production. They told us that that they've been booked to start work at the end of the year, which should tie into a Jan 2011 air date.

continues:
http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=has_caprica_season_two_been

jelgate
March 1st, 2010, 06:43 AM
Has Caprica Season Two Been Given The Green Light?

After such a Lengthy commissioning process, and a slightly shaky start, a second helping of Batlestar Galactica spin-off Caprica was not necessarily a given. But fans that were expecting to be singing "Cylon, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodnight!" at the end of season one can breathe a sigh of relief: Caprica will definitely be returning to our screens.

While the Syfy channel are still remaining tight-lipped about season two's prospects, the show’s critical plaudits have been a delightful surprise. So much so, that they’ve already begun hiring staff for season two behind the scenes, according to a source working on the production. They told us that that they've been booked to start work at the end of the year, which should tie into a Jan 2011 air date.

continues:
http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=has_caprica_season_two_beenThis reminds me of the time Dollhouse was renewed. It makes no sense for a ratings angle

Osiristi
March 1st, 2010, 07:39 AM
But Dollhouse was still plain awesome during season two :) Just like Caprica has been so far.

EvilSpaceAlien
March 1st, 2010, 07:42 AM
This reminds me of the time Dollhouse was renewed. It makes no sense for a ratings angle

I hope that Caprica improves it's ratings and gets more seasons. I don't want an incredibly rushed ending like Dollhouse.

Madwelshboy
March 1st, 2010, 03:03 PM
Ratings for "There Is Another Sky"

Friday’s final numbers. A18-19 held steady at 0.4. Avg. viewership moved up to 1.127 million viewers.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/03/01/caprica-season-one-ratings-update/43398

jelgate
March 1st, 2010, 04:00 PM
Ratings for "There Is Another Sky"

Friday’s final numbers. A18-19 held steady at 0.4. Avg. viewership moved up to 1.127 million viewers.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/03/01/caprica-season-one-ratings-update/43398

With this kind of rise

Caprica will still be cancelled:P

DigiFluid
March 1st, 2010, 04:11 PM
Brutal :(

Briangate78
March 1st, 2010, 06:47 PM

I would not worry too much.

the fifth man
March 1st, 2010, 07:02 PM

I guess there is nothing we can do but hope things improve more. I will continue to watch and enjoy this show.

Pharaoh Atem
March 2nd, 2010, 08:16 PM
the numbers went up that's good

jelgate
March 2nd, 2010, 08:18 PM
the numbers went up that's good

Not good enough. Its such a small increase that it could be just random flucations

Pharaoh Atem
March 2nd, 2010, 08:48 PM
Not good enough. Its such a small increase that it could be just random flucations

or the shape of something greater to come.

jelgate
March 2nd, 2010, 09:19 PM

You'll need that optimism in the coming week

KEK
March 2nd, 2010, 10:17 PM
Didn't see this coming. In fact I kinda assuming the ratings would edge SGU's slightly, as SyFy's shows tend to do better at this time of year if I'm not mistaken?

Briangate78
March 3rd, 2010, 06:07 AM
Didn't see this coming. In fact I kinda assuming the ratings would edge SGU's slightly, as SyFy's shows tend to do better at this time of year if I'm not mistaken?

You are correct. Jan/Feb shows in the past did very well this time of year.

the fifth man
March 3rd, 2010, 06:48 PM

One can only hope.

Pharaoh Atem
March 3rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
You'll need that optimism in the coming week

as i've said before if the show ends i can live with it. there is enough groundwork to build a bridge to the bsg canon. you could look at caprica as a mini-series .

Sp!der
March 5th, 2010, 12:53 AM
I really hope this Show gets what it deserves.. imo its far better than SG:U, better actors... and the characters are awesome. If this show gets canceled, ill never ever watch a show again.. (ok, maybe not true.. but u get my point i guess) this show is pure beauty.

Shen
March 5th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Just saw the pilot and to be honest it was ok, nothing spectacular and nothing to draw me back to watch the series.

Seems the ratings not that impressive too, i smell cancellation unless theres a dramatic increase in ratings.

Noticed the sub 1million viewers on one of the eps....wow

SGFerrit
March 6th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I expect the most recent episode to pull in 1.3-1.4 million, due to how good last week's was. However, I can see it dropping again next week, as I don't think the latest episode lived up to the previous one.

Osiristi
March 8th, 2010, 01:23 PM
It seems Caprica is on right tracks. It has now had two weeks up in ratings.

http://pic.leech.it/i/4dd3d/4beb6d93capricarat.jpg

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/03/08/caprica-ratings-rise-for-know-thy-enemy/44256

EvilSpaceAlien
March 8th, 2010, 01:27 PM
It seems Caprica is on right tracks. It has now had two weeks up in ratings.

Unless I'm mistaken, there hasn't been any official word on the ratings from the last episode yet. If there has been, could you please post a link? :confused:

jelgate
March 8th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, there hasn't been any official word on the ratings from the last episode yet. If there has been, could you please post a link? :confused:

Its just been released on tv by the number. I'm skepetic that these increases will be good enough

Osiristi
March 8th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Of course you are skeptic, jel. That's part of who you are :P Yes, skepticism is good for body and soul. And skepticists don't have to be dissapointed afterwards, either.

Briangate78
March 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Word is behind SyFy lines is, Caprica will be getting a 2nd season pick up. But you did not hear that from me, lol. It's a buzz, not a fact, just a buzz.

Osiristi
March 8th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I didn't hear it from you. It's been spammed all over this Caprica board some time ago but no confirmation so I won't get my hopes up yet.

jelgate
March 8th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Word is behind SyFy lines is, Caprica will be getting a 2nd season pick up. But you did not hear that from me, lol. It's a buzz, not a fact, just a buzz.

So I take it ratings don't matter anymore:P

KEK
March 8th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I'd be surprised if it didn't get picked up, losing it would be a greater loss for Syfy than salvaging what they can for a second season I think and maybe getting mediocre ratings. Besides, what do they have to replace it with?

the fifth man
March 8th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I really hope more people come around regarding this show. They simply don't know what they are missing out on IMO.

Briangate78
March 8th, 2010, 06:44 PM

The show is going to get renewed and it makes me lose a lot of faith in the ratings system. But whatever. It is just more evidence that ratings are not the only factor in determing a renewal or not.

For the folks who like the show, I will be happy for you when it gets renewed.

the fifth man
March 8th, 2010, 06:55 PM
The show is going to get renewed and it makes me lose a lot of faith in the ratings system. But whatever. It is just more evidence that ratings are not the only factor in determing a renewal or not.

For the folks who like the show, I will be happy for you when it gets renewed.

Thank you, assuming it does get a second season.

Replicator Todd
March 8th, 2010, 07:26 PM

No I don't think they do. Maybe they still matter a little bit, but I believe their value has decreased greatly.

Briangate78
March 8th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Thank you, assuming it does get a second season.

I am pretty sure they will. They will mess around with timeslots, budgets, and etc to make it work. They invested too much money into this show for it to only go one season.

the fifth man
March 8th, 2010, 07:37 PM
No I don't think they do. Maybe they still matter a little bit, but I believe their value has decreased greatly.

Personally, I don't think renewal should ever have solely been based on ratings. IMO, the ratings system has been broken for some time now.

DigiFluid
March 8th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I wonder though, if they'd get a short season order. Like getting a 13-episode season. I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Pharaoh Atem
March 8th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I wonder though, if they'd get a short season order. Like getting a 13-episode season. I wouldn't be opposed to that.

it works for doctor who

DigiFluid
March 8th, 2010, 08:52 PM
It works for a lot of shows, but that isn't what I meant by it.... Rather that maybe a show not doing so great in the ratings wouldn't get a full season order.

Pharaoh Atem
March 9th, 2010, 06:28 AM
It works for a lot of shows, but that isn't what I meant by it.... Rather that maybe a show not doing so great in the ratings wouldn't get a full season order.

but less eps would allow for better storytelling. plus i would assume it would be cheaper price wise to produce.

jelgate
March 9th, 2010, 06:46 AM
but less eps would allow for better storytelling. plus i would assume it would be cheaper price wise to produce.

I never bought that. If the writers are talented they should be able to write 13 or 20 quality episodes

Replicator Todd
March 9th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I never bought that. If the writers are talented they should be able to write 13 or 20 quality episodes

Indeed, most definitely. Although IMO a 20 episode story arc isn't as easy as a 13 episode story arc.

KEK
March 9th, 2010, 01:18 PM
it works for doctor who

13 episodes is quite a long season by British standards to be honest.

It's not just a case of the number though, its the time scale. I'm sure if they had a proportionate amount of extra time then the quality wouldn't wane, but they don't.

jelgate
March 9th, 2010, 01:22 PM
13 episodes is quite a long season by British standards to be honest.

It's not just a case of the number though, its the time scale. I'm sure if they had a proportionate amount of extra time then the quality wouldn't wane, but they don't.

I never bought that excuse either.

DigiFluid
March 9th, 2010, 03:15 PM
lol it's hardly an excuse, it's just simple arithmetic and common sense. If you have 6 months to work on 13 scripts, each of them is going to get a bit more attention than if you had 22 scripts to do in the same span of time.

To say nothing of the likelihood of episodes 'off' and/or clipshows.

jelgate
March 9th, 2010, 03:23 PM
lol it's hardly an excuse, it's just simple arithmetic and common sense. If you have 6 months to work on 13 scripts, each of them is going to get a bit more attention than if you had 22 scripts to do in the same span of time.

To say nothing of the likelihood of episodes 'off' and/or clipshows.A 13 episode season is usually allowed a significantly smaller production schedule then a 20 episode season. For example W13 and SGU start production at roughly the same time yet SGU's production is almost twice as long if not longer

the fifth man
March 9th, 2010, 06:16 PM

I totally agree with that. And personally, I prefer longer seasons.

KEK
March 9th, 2010, 08:59 PM
A 13 episode season is usually allowed a significantly smaller production schedule then a 20 episode season. For example W13 and SGU start production at roughly the same time yet SGU's production is almost twice as long if not longer

Production schedules and the writers deadlines are two different things though. The writers spin stories and flesh out ideas long before production starts, and even before the next season has been green lit, so the shorter the production schedule the longer the gap between seasons, and the longer the time writers have to work on their stories - meaning for shorter seasons, each episode gets more attention than it would have done had the season been longer.

jelgate
March 9th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Which brings back to the original point. A good show really doesn't matter on the episode length and more on the writing quality of the writers.

Sp!der
March 9th, 2010, 11:29 PM
due true.

the fifth man
March 10th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Which brings back to the original point. A good show really doesn't matter on the episode length and more on the writing quality of the writers.

Exactly!

Republibot 3.0
March 11th, 2010, 11:39 AM

To be honest, the most endearing part of it for me is that it *IS* a soap. I don't really like soaps, but no one's ever really done an SF one before, and the open-ended arc plotting is allowing them to do interesting things with the storytelling that you can't really do in a traditional A-plot B-Subplot C-unerlying arc structure. It allows for a lot of worldbuilding as well, which is always fun.

I just wish it was a standalone and not tied to BSG. There's this nasty feeling of continual shoehorning going on.

Pharaoh Atem
March 11th, 2010, 09:15 PM
98% negative posts. :(

Replicator Todd
March 12th, 2010, 12:00 AM
98% negative posts. :(

:confused:

Pharaoh Atem
March 12th, 2010, 06:48 AM
:confused:

this has been one big caprica is doomed thread.

jelgate
March 12th, 2010, 06:58 AM
this has been one big caprica is doomed thread.

True. But the fact are the facts and they paint a very grim picture for Caprica

kusanagi
March 12th, 2010, 08:36 AM
True. But the fact are the facts and they paint a very grim picture for Caprica

:(

KEK
March 12th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't worry for now, it'll get a second season, start to worry if that one gets poor ratings too.

RealmOfX
March 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Ratings for last Friday from the PI forum (http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63310451/m/569104182/p/2) :

Caprica (9pm)
- 1.071 million viewers
- 0.7/1 HH
- 0.4/1 A18-49

Madwelshboy
March 16th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Caprica Ratings: Syfy’s Mark Stern Tries To Put Lipstick On the Pig

THR’s James Hibberd, in a piece on some Syfy pilot pickups that also wanders into the territory that of course Syfy is considering other BSG spinoffs, quotes Syfy VP of development Mark Stern on Caprica’s ratings:

When asked about the chances of its modestly performing spinoff “Caprica” getting a renewal, Stern was bullish. He pointed to the show recently hitting a series high in the adult demographic using Live+7 ratings, drawing 1.6 million viewers and 913,000 adults 18-49.

“We have a lot of hope for that show,” Stern said. “The (DVR data) has been very promising and growing week after week. The ratings don’t reflect the potential audience.”

continues:
http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/03/15/caprica-ratings-syfys-mark-stern-tries-to-put-lipstick-on-the-pig/45088

the fifth man
March 16th, 2010, 06:02 PM
This "pig" doesn't need lipstick IMO. I just wish more people would tune in to see that.

Pharaoh Atem
March 18th, 2010, 09:05 PM
http://www.digitalspy.com/ustv/interviews/a209375/ronald-d-moore-caprica.html

What sort of reaction have you had to the series so far?
"I've had a very positive reaction. The fans have been very kind and people have been great in the online world."

Are you pleased with the ratings you've been getting?
"I think the ratings could be better but I'm encouraged that they have continued to climb over the last couple of episodes. I think that's good. I'm pleased."

Do you think you've successfully managed to win over Battlestar fans?
"Some yes, some no. It depends on what people were looking for when they came to the show. We made a big point of saying it was not like Battlestar, so people that came to the show presumably knew they were coming for something completely different."

In the event that you don't get renewed, will the season one finale serve well as a series finale?
"No! No - it would not be a satisfying way to end the show, I'll put it that way. It's fifty years before Battlestar, so we can't end it at any time we want. It depends how far ahead we want to jump in the story."

Republibot 3.0
March 20th, 2010, 05:18 AM

So? Why is a prime time soap an inappropriate format for an SF show? I mean, we've been steadily moving towards arc-driven storytelling since Babylon 5, and a soap is the logical extention of that. Personally, I'm digging the format simply because no one's ever really done it before.

Republibot 3.0
March 20th, 2010, 05:22 AM
http://www.digitalspy.com/ustv/interviews/a209375/ronald-d-moore-caprica.html

Are you pleased with the ratings you've been getting?
"I think the ratings could be better but I'm encouraged that they have continued to climb over the last couple of episodes. I think that's good. I'm pleased."

The ratings did rebound a bit after the olympics - how could they not? - but they've already boiled away most of that increase, and they're hovering around the 1.1 million mark, where they were *before* the olympics. That's, what, about $2.72 for every viewer of the show? They can't really afford that sort of thing for very long.

RealmOfX
March 20th, 2010, 11:50 AM
The ratings did rebound a bit after the olympics - how could they not? - but they've already boiled away most of that increase, and they're hovering around the 1.1 million mark, where they were *before* the olympics. That's, what, about $2.72 for every viewer of the show? They can't really afford that sort of thing for very long.

Who is they? And how do you know what they can and can't afford? If you have detailed cost and revenue figures for the show and Syfy do share.

Madwelshboy
March 22nd, 2010, 01:34 PM
'Caprica' ratings rise

Syfy's "Caprica" is showing signs of life in the Nielsens. Friday's episode climbed 18% this week to 1.3 million viewers. That's the biggest number for the series since its second week on the air. The show's midseason finale airs on Friday.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/03/caprica-ratings-rise.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+live_feed+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+The+Live+Feed%29&utm_content=Twitter

RealmOfX
March 22nd, 2010, 01:45 PM
Ratings for last Friday from the PI Forum (http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63310451/m/284109282/p/5) :

Caprica (9pm)
- 1.229 million viewers
- 0.8/1 HH
- 0.4/1 A18-49

DigiFluid
March 22nd, 2010, 02:07 PM
What's that now, 3 weeks in a row of ratings climbing?

Good news, but I hope it's enough :S

Madwelshboy
March 22nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
March 5th Episode of “Caprica “Nearly Doubles 18-49 Rating With Week of DVR viewing

GATHERING MOMENTUM TO ITS SEASON FINALE, CAPRICA POSTS SERIES HIGHS IN ADULTS 18-49 AND ADULTS 25-54 DURING FRIDAY, MARCH 5 EPISODE ON SYFY

Gains 13% in Adults 18-49 and 15% in Adults 25-54 Versus Prior Week

With Inclusion of DVR Playback

New York, NY — March 22, 2010 — Building momentum toward this week’s mid-season finale, Syfy’s critically acclaimed Caprica scored double-digit increases and delivered series highs in key demos Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54 during its Friday, March 5 episode with the inclusion of Live +7 DVR playback data.

The March 5 episode, airing from 9-10pm, averaged 1.04 million Adults 18-49 (+13% versus the Friday, February 26 episode) and 1.21 million Adults 25-54 viewers (+15%).

The program also scored a 1.4 HH Rating (highest rating since the January 22 series premiere) and 1.78 million total viewers (highest since January 29).

The level of viewing from 7-day playback vs. same-day playback also hit series highs, adding:

476,000 additional Adults 25-54
436,000 additional Adults 18-49
627,000 total viewers

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/03/22/march-5th-episode-of-caprica-nearly-doubles-18-49-rating-with-week-of-dvr-viewing/45719?utm_campaign=WP-TWITTER&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Osiristi
March 22nd, 2010, 02:16 PM

I think there was a drop on March 12th...

Pharaoh Atem
March 22nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
'caprica' ratings rise

syfy's "caprica" is showing signs of life in the nielsens. Friday's episode climbed 18% this week to 1.3 million viewers. That's the biggest number for the series since its second week on the air. The show's midseason finale airs on friday.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/03/caprica-ratings-rise.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=feed%3a+live_feed+%28the+hollywood+reporter+-+the+live+feed%29&utm_content=twitter

yes!!!!!

KEK
March 23rd, 2010, 07:10 PM

Good news, but I hope it's enough :S

Renewal is nailed-on, I wouldn't worry.

DigiFluid
March 23rd, 2010, 08:10 PM
I'm not convinced of that, so I'll continue hoping ;)

Pharaoh Atem
March 23rd, 2010, 08:21 PM
I'm not convinced of that, so I'll continue hoping ;)

i sense must disloyalty in this one :P

to the airloc........d'oh wrong show

DigiFluid
March 23rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Wanting the show to get a season 2 isn't disloyalty :p

Kliggins
March 24th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Yay for a ratings rise. :)

Replicator Todd
March 25th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Renewal is nailed-on, I wouldn't worry.

Indeed, I really think SyFy is going to renew a second season even if the ratings are low.

huntress
March 27th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I hope so and the ratings did go up. It sucks though that we will now have a four months hiatus. That is a very long time and unless SciFi repeats the first nine episodes like crazy, the chances are high that people will forget about this gem of a show. Just look what happened to "Pushing Daisies". To have such a long hiatus in the very first season is never a good move.

the fifth man
March 27th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Indeed, I really think SyFy is going to renew a second season even if the ratings are low.

I sure hope so. I think this show deserves a second season.

Replicator Todd
March 29th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I hope so and the ratings did go up. It sucks though that we will now have a four months hiatus. That is a very long time and unless SciFi repeats the first nine episodes like crazy, the chances are high that people will forget about this gem of a show. Just look what happened to "Pushing Daisies". To have such a long hiatus in the very first season is never a good move.

I think a hiatus of any form is not a good move. :(

RealmOfX
March 29th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Ratings for last Friday from the PI Forum (http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63310451/m/663105482/p/3) :

Caprica (9pm)
- 1.103 million viewers
- 0.7/1 HH
- 0.5/2 A18-49

the fifth man
March 30th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Ratings for last Friday from the PI Forum (http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63310451/m/663105482/p/3) :

Caprica (9pm)
- 1.103 million viewers
- 0.7/1 HH
- 0.5/2 A18-49

Well, those numbers certainly could have been better. IMO, people are really missing out on a good show.

Replicator Todd
March 30th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Well, those numbers certainly could have been better. IMO, people are really missing out on a good show.

Indeed!

Pharaoh Atem
March 30th, 2010, 08:10 PM
numbers are good just need to start digging in the bsg backstory.

Replicator Todd
March 30th, 2010, 08:14 PM

Honestly, I could care less about the BSG backstory. But thats just me.

jelgate
March 30th, 2010, 08:25 PM

No they're not

Replicator Todd
March 30th, 2010, 08:44 PM
No they're not

Indeed, they should be much higher....its kinda scary.

the fifth man
March 31st, 2010, 08:34 PM
Indeed, they should be much higher....its kinda scary.

More sad IMO. People really don't know what they are missing. This show has a lot to offer.

Republibot 3.0
April 4th, 2010, 04:37 AM
They seem to have hit an unsteady plateau slightly above 1 million viewers. The highest ratings since the olymics were 1.15, the finale was all the way down at 1.03, however. So they're better, but are they good enough to save the show? Line judge call, I think, but Ii'm gonna' say 'no' since I've already heard Syfy is looking at another BSG spinoff to replace this one in the near future.

Sp!der
April 4th, 2010, 05:25 AM
could they decide not the air the second half of caprica due to bad ratings??? that would be very very very very very very very very very very very sad... i hope it close this season & another season to close the whole chapter if somewhat possible. would be really sad if this story would be left open.

jelgate
April 4th, 2010, 06:17 AM
could they decide not the air the second half of caprica due to bad ratings??? that would be very very very very very very very very very very very sad... i hope it close this season & another season to close the whole chapter if somewhat possible. would be really sad if this story would be left open.

Highly unlikely. When SyFy produces a show they air the whole season regardless of the ratings.

Sp!der
April 4th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Highly unlikely. When SyFy produces a show they air the whole season regardless of the ratings.

ok, thank you, by the way, i love ure ST:DSN sig... :)

DigiFluid
April 4th, 2010, 08:54 AM
They seem to have hit an unsteady plateau slightly above 1 million viewers. The highest ratings since the olymics were 1.15, the finale was all the way down at 1.03, however. So they're better, but are they good enough to save the show? Line judge call, I think, but Ii'm gonna' say 'no' since I've already heard Syfy is looking at another BSG spinoff to replace this one in the near future.
They're talking about another spin-off period, not a replacement spin-off.

RealmOfX
April 4th, 2010, 09:48 AM

That's not entirely correct.

The highest viewers (not rating) since the Olympics was 1,229,000 and the finale was 1,103,000. (Live +SD)

Yes, they are looking at another BSG spinoff, however this - "to replace this one in the near future" is your assumption.

The average total viewers so far for Live +SD is 1,197,000. From the limited data I've seen, Caprica is performing just above the Syfy average, whether this is good enough to get another season is going to depend on how it measures up to Syfy's cost/benefit calculations (which we will never be privy to the details). Syfy may wear the average performance and go for renewal if it fits their parameters for the channel in their move to year round programming.

Madwelshboy
April 12th, 2010, 11:32 AM
SYFY’S CAPRICA MARCH 26 MID-SEASON FINALE SETS SERIES RECORD WITH MORE THAN ONE MILLION ADULTS 18-49 INCLUDING LIVE +7 DATA

New York, New York – April 12, 2010 – Culminating a premiere season of ratings growth, the Friday, March 26 season finale of Caprica set a series record by delivering 1.1 million Adults 18-49 (including Live + 7 DVR playback data). The episode, airing from 9-10pm, also scored 1.7 million total viewers, 1.16 million Adults 25-54 and a 1.3 Household rating.

These achievements capped off a successful end to Caprica’s first nine episodes. Compared to the first five episodes, the final four averaged 1.0 million Adults 18-49 (+21%) and 1.15 million Adults 25-54 (+12%). These programs were also Caprica’s top individual telecasts in both Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54.

For the first season including all DVR playback, Caprica averaged a 1.3 HH Rating and 1.8 million total viewers, including 906,000 Adults 18-49 and 1.1 million Adults 25-54.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/04/12/syfys-caprica-mid-season-finale-sets-series-record-with-more-than-one-million-adults-18-49-in-live7-data/48049?utm_campaign=WP-TWITTER&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Republibot 3.0
April 13th, 2010, 06:55 PM
That's not entirely correct.

The highest viewers (not rating) since the Olympics was 1,229,000 and the finale was 1,103,000. (Live +SD)

Yes, they are looking at another BSG spinoff, however this - "to replace this one in the near future" is your assumption.

The average total viewers so far for Live +SD is 1,197,000. From the limited data I've seen, Caprica is performing just above the Syfy average, whether this is good enough to get another season is going to depend on how it measures up to Syfy's cost/benefit calculations (which we will never be privy to the details). Syfy may wear the average performance and go for renewal if it fits their parameters for the channel in their move to year round programming.

Can you explain "Live + SD?" I'm not familiar with the term.

Republibot 3.0
April 13th, 2010, 06:57 PM
And by the way, as a pessimist I won't be dissapointed if a favourite series of mine will be cancelled. I have had time to prepare for that. It still doesn't mean I didn't want it to be renewed.

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you're always pleasantly surprised that things don't end up as bad as you'd feared. Optomists are continually disapointed that reality never meets up with their hopes.

Osiristi
April 14th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I've heard similar things as Pharaoh Atem just today and yesterday. On many forums people speak like, "Now that Caprica has been renewed and a new BSG spinoff is in working...". I doubt though, that they are just spinning things themselves. It hasn't been renewed until it officially is, which I hope will happen soon!

Republibot 3.0
April 14th, 2010, 04:21 AM
I've heard similar things as Pharaoh Atem just today and yesterday. On many forums people speak like, "Now that Caprica has been renewed and a new BSG spinoff is in working...". I doubt though, that they are just spinning things themselves. It hasn't been renewed until it officially is, which I hope will happen soon!

Yeah, it has *not* been renewed as of yet, which is interesting on a lot of levels. I mean, SGU is already filming its second season. Caprica tends to get a lot of lip service, but no one seems in any rush to sign that contract...

Wayston
April 18th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I hope if they make another spin-off it will be about the first cylon-human war, made in the spirit of the old series space above & beyond... that would be sooooo awesome.... the only way I'm going to watch the current bsg series is if I'm bored and don't have anything more interesting to watch at the time to be honest (I gave it a shot mind you, I watched the pilot and it just didn't do anything for me... except for the nudity... which makes it extra sad in my book)

Pharaoh Atem
April 18th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I hope if they make another spin-off it will be about the first cylon-human war, made in the spirit of the old series space above & beyond... that would be sooooo awesome.... the only way I'm going to watch the current bsg series is if I'm bored and don't have anything more interesting to watch at the time to be honest (I gave it a shot mind you, I watched the pilot and it just didn't do anything for me... except for the nudity... which makes it extra sad in my book)
i would love the first cylon war. go back to the exciting story telling of bsg

Spimman
May 4th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Yeah, it has *not* been renewed as of yet...I hope it gets renewed soon, I have really enjoyed it so far!

the fifth man
May 4th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I hope it gets renewed soon, I have really enjoyed it so far!

Same here.:) I really want a second season.

Spimman
May 5th, 2010, 04:50 AM
I hope they get another season. That being said...

If they only get 1 more season I hope they know it so they can plan accordingly. I would like the show to end well and not have a 1 episode wrap up, whatever happens.

Pharaoh Atem
July 31st, 2010, 07:41 PM
Im willing to bet 1.2 mill for the 1.5 premiere

major davis
September 18th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Im willing to bet 1.2 mill for the 1.5 premiere

Caprica Premier live+sd predictions:

Pharoah Atem - 1.2 million
Major Davis - 1.3 million

Anyone else gonna predict?

Osiristi
September 18th, 2010, 06:49 AM
0.7 million. Pessimistic, as with SGU.

And again, I don't want to win this prediction either.

TBA
September 18th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I'll raise your bet - 1.4 million. SGU has a stable fanbase, and with that as a lead-in a lot of viewers will probably stick around to see what all that Caprica is about.

"I've never known you to play the optimist... Why the change of heart?"

jelgate
September 18th, 2010, 08:02 AM
1 million

EvilSpaceAlien
September 18th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I'm going to stay positive. :)

Osiristi - 0.7 million
TBA - 1.4 million
Jelgate - 1 million
EvilSpaceAlien - 1.2 million

TBA
September 18th, 2010, 11:12 AM
And it's TBA, not TBD ;)

EvilSpaceAlien
September 18th, 2010, 11:16 AM
And it's TBA, not TBD ;)

Major Davis' fault.

RealmOfX
September 18th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I've got no idea, I think I'll wait and see how the Tuesday night audiences pan out for a few weeks first. All I'm hoping for is an improvement on the first half season numbers because I'd like to see a second season and see where they take this series.

Skydiver
September 18th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Folks

Let's either use folks' real names or don't refer to them at all please

It may be meant as a joke, but it's not being taken that way

major davis
September 18th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Major Davis' fault.

Krud... my bad. :p You can call me Captain Davis if you want from now on. ;)

EvilSpaceAlien
September 18th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Krud... my bad. :p You can call me Captain Davis if you want from now on. ;)

Sure, but you still won't be as awesome as Captain Jack Sparrow. :cool:

Madness reigns
September 18th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I'll go for a 1.3 million - still haven't seen the last 2 episodes but I'm hopeful for a good start to the second half!! :D

Legionnaire
September 18th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I'm going to be the foolish optimist that everyone can laugh at later and say 1.6! Yeah!

TBA
September 19th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Wew, for a minute there I was worried I'd be the most optimistic person here. Not like me at all... :S

Madness reigns
September 19th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I'm going to be the foolish optimist that everyone can laugh at later and say 1.6! Yeah!

I won't laugh.. after watching the mid-season finale yesterday I could easily imagine it being that high.. all I've got to do now is convince 1'599'999 other people to watch too :D

*starts flipping through phone book*

major davis
September 19th, 2010, 11:48 AM

Osiristi - 0.7 million
TBA - 1.4 million
Jelgate - 1 million
Madness reigns - 1.3 million
Legionnaire - 1.6 million

LoneStar1836
September 21st, 2010, 03:24 PM

Osiristi - 0.7 million
TBA - 1.4 million
Jelgate - 1 million
Madness reigns - 1.3 million
Legionnaire - 1.6 million
LoneStar1836 - 1.05 m

I hope it's better, but I see it and SGU suffering on Tuesday. Not that Friday was any better of a day.

RealmOfX
September 22nd, 2010, 11:59 PM
If you're putting in a prediction for Caprica's return then here's some average Live +SD viewer numbers from last season :
22-Jan-10 to 26-Mar-10 Caprica 1,200,222
22-Sep-09 to 25-May-10 The Good Wife 12,973,125
2-Mar-10 to 25-May-10 Parenthood 6,382,308
15-Sep-09 to 1-Dec-09 Sons of Anarchy 3,596,667
2-Mar-10 to 21-Sep-10 WWE NXT 1,205,933

Last night in the first week of Fall competition :
Detroit 187 9,342,000
Parenthood 5,847,000
Sons of Anarchy 3,480,000
WWE NXT 1,050,000