PDA

View Full Version : Fox developing an American version of Torchwood

Madwelshboy
January 19th, 2010, 08:46 AM
BREAKING: Fox working on American version of #Torchwood ... Details to come at AirlockAlpha.com

http://twitter.com/AirlockAlpha/status/7950521313

Fox Wants To Bring 'Torchwood' To America

Yet another British import is making its way to the United States, but this time it's not only science-fiction, but it's also garnered interest from a major network.

Fox says it wants to produce an American version of the hit BBC series "Torchwood," the "Doctor Who" spinoff that garnered critical acclaim and mass appeal last year for its "Children of Earth" miniseries. The British series, which stars John Barrowman as Capt. Jack Harkness and Eve Myles as Gwen Cooper.

Many times, remakes of foreign programs get lost in translation. However, Fox is trying to sidestep that by keeping the British series' producers of "Torchwood" intact. Yes, that means creator and showrunner Russell T. Davies as well as executive producer Julie Gardner and Jane Tranter will be aboard the American version.

Not that they will just be names in the credits. Davies also intends to write the pilot episode, which is beind developed by BBC Worldwide Productions, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

In fact, the new show -- which will take on more of a global feel rather than the more localized Welsh take found in the original -- could even include Barrowman, who first established his immortal Capt. Jack in the first season of the modern "Doctor Who," a British iconic series that was revived by Davies.

Such a project is still in the early pre-production stages, and it's not clear if this is a pilot order or what Fox has planned for the series.

http://airlockalpha.com/node/7055

BayGateScape
January 19th, 2010, 09:33 AM
question is are they going to show Jack Harkness as a Bi-sexual person? and to the what extent. Like kissing and all; knowing its FOX. there might be some cut downs.

EvilSpaceAlien
January 19th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this piece news...:S

Ashizuri
January 19th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I don't if I should laugh or cry at this news...:S

Sci-fi on Fox? I'd cry. Laugh, then cry. Then laugh again. Likely it wont make it, and then if it does, Fox will cancel it anyway.

One has to wonder where this leaves the original series. I mean, I knew CoE was going to end TW as we knew it but I honestly thought there wouldbe atleast one more season.

pbellosom
January 19th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Why?! Why?!

This is such an awful idea. Is it going to be cannon if it's not made by the BBC?

Replicator Todd
January 19th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I don't know what I think about this, I loathe Fox......but if they keep it the same cast and such...then their might be hope.

Ashizuri
January 19th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I don't know what I think about this, I loathe Fox......but if they keep it the same cast and such...then their might be hope.

Barrowman has been linked to it, but I can't imagine that EM or KO would be too heavily involved. I mean, why go for an american remake instead of a season 4 if your going to use your existing british cast? We might see Gwen and Rhys from time to time, but I imagine we'll get an all new american cast.

Is it going to be cannon if it's not made by the BBC?

Yes, I would imagine it will be.

Replicator Todd
January 19th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Barrowman has been linked to it, but I can't imagine that EM or KO would be too heavily involved. I mean, why go for an american remake instead of a season 4 if your going to use your existing british cast? We might see Gwen and Rhys from time to time, but I imagine we'll get an all new american cast.

So in a way this show will be about a different branch of Torchwood? Then again its probably way too early to tell. I'd rather not have a US version of TW, I may live here but It doesn't mean I like it. ;)

Ashizuri
January 19th, 2010, 12:00 PM
So in a way this show will be about a different branch of Torchwood? Then again its probably way too early to tell. I'd rather not have a US version of TW, I may live here but It doesn't mean I like it. ;)

That's what I'm thinking. Perhaps we'll see the return of Captain SpikeJohn.

With it being a "global" show, I can easily picture EM doing a guest spot or two if things get shady in Cardiff, but I do think we'll see new, american cast members as the leads.

I didn't particularly want an american version either. The more I hear about TW in general I realize that I kind of wanted CoE to be the end, so maybe a completely new start can get me interested again.

Alan
January 19th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Why?! Why?!

This is such an awful idea. Is it going to be cannon if it's not made by the BBC?

Quoted for truth. My reaction to seeing this news literally took these steps - shock, horror, fear.

This has to be a nightmare I'm having right now. This just *cannot* be happening.

Khentkawes
January 19th, 2010, 10:37 PM
So in a way this show will be about a different branch of Torchwood? Then again its probably way too early to tell.

It pretty much has to be, doesn't it? I mean, the Cardiff branch is all but destroyed in CoE. I never understood how they could continue with Torchwood 3 after that. A new branch of Torchwood would make much more sense. And if this new show is made specifically for an American audience, it will probably be placed in the states somewhere, although the new group might spend more time investigating alien activity around the world (sort of like they do in Sanctuary).

I'd rather not have a US version of TW, I may live here but It doesn't mean I like it. ;)

:lol: Agreed. Sad as it is, part of the allure of Torchwood for me was that it was so not American. It's partially why I put up with some writing that I considered to be quite shoddy. I liked that it was just a bit different than all the American paranormal/SF TV shows.

I didn't particularly want an american version either. The more I hear about TW in general I realize that I kind of wanted CoE to be the end, so maybe a completely new start can get me interested again.

Well, I like the idea of a "new start" to Torchwood. But when I first heard this rumor, my first words were "I hope RTD's not writing it!" And since it sounds like he is... that's not a new start. It's just a rehash of the same writing issues that plagued Torchwood series 1-3, IMO. If there was some new writing talent or a new producer behind it, then maybe I would have more faith in it. But as it is, I'm prepared to laugh my head off at whatever comes of this. ;)

This has to be a nightmare I'm having right now. This just *cannot* be happening.

Maybe it's denial on my part, but I don't quite believe that it is happening. It just seems like the latest in a long stream of post-CoE rumors. I half hope/expect that some producer or network executive will realize that this is a horrible idea and put a stop to it. *shrug* Who knows. Guess we'll have to sit back and see what, if anything, comes of it.

Skydiver
January 20th, 2010, 05:04 AM
You do remember that Fox had the X-Files right?

they HAVE done scifi in the past.

It's an interesting concept, although i'm sure it'll be a heavily americanized version, likely taped in Vancouver and will be a mix of x-files/possibly sanctuary and will likely be similar to torchwood in theme only.....elite team of people operate outside the law to control/kill/contain monsters coming through a rift in time/space

Flyboy
January 20th, 2010, 05:24 AM
For ****S SAKE!

And yes, I know that'll get censored.

Why does everything decent that is OURS have to get raped by US television. Seriously. Torchwood is inherently British, and what's more, inherently Welsh. It's the core identity of the show. I'm not sure which I find more offensive, the idea of simply a US version, or a canonical US version with the same characters. The US dominates Sci Fi, why does it have to dominate British sci fi as well? Torchwood is a British concept, both the show and the fictional institution, unless there's a Torchwood colonial branch in the US working to revoke America's independence, then the whole concept os frankly ********.

Skydiver
January 20th, 2010, 05:50 AM
hey, no complaints from me in that...i LIKE brit shows. nice to see different actors, different locations, differnet attitudes

so much is done in vancouver with the same 'ideals' and attitudes that I get bored with it.

i'm not gonna doom and gloom it, but dude, can they come up with ANYTHING original? or, in addition to sequels and reboots, must they now 'remake' every foreign show into a US version?

DigiFluid
January 20th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Well with any luck nothing'll come of this.

Does anyone else remember Red Dwarf USA?

pbellosom
January 20th, 2010, 08:13 AM
unless there's a Torchwood colonial branch in the US working to revoke America's independence

Actually, I'd totally watch that.

LaCroix
January 20th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Sorry, this is just pants. If it does I see it being cancelled in 3 episodes.

Ashizuri
January 20th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Well, I like the idea of a "new start" to Torchwood. But when I first heard this rumor, my first words were "I hope RTD's not writing it!" And since it sounds like he is... that's not a new start. It's just a rehash of the same writing issues that plagued Torchwood series 1-3, IMO. If there was some new writing talent or a new producer behind it, then maybe I would have more faith in it. But as it is, I'm prepared to laugh my head off at whatever comes of this. ;)

I suppose it's actually more fair to say that I am mostly uninterested because (1) CoE still fills me with rage, (2) Davies writing is either hit or miss, and for me it's mostly miss and I have a hard time watching his stories without getting bored or frustrated (interestingly enough, I like his straight drama writing, like QaF and Bob and Rose, it's his Sci-fi that leaves me cold), and (3) after Davies appalling comments towards the fans after CoE it's hard for me to get behind anything he does. I would have much preferred TW to be left in the hands of a different writer when Davies left for America...

If it really happens, I will likely give it a chance on account of Barrowman being involved, but it will have to be amazing to keep me involved.

Why does everything decent that is OURS have to get raped by US television. Seriously. Torchwood is inherently British, and what's more, inherently Welsh. It's the core identity of the show. I'm not sure which I find more offensive, the idea of simply a US version, or a canonical US version with the same characters. The US dominates Sci Fi, why does it have to dominate British sci fi as well? Torchwood is a British concept, both the show and the fictional institution, unless there's a Torchwood colonial branch in the US working to revoke America's independence, then the whole concept os frankly ********.

That's hardly a fair analogy. It sounds more like Davies et al came to America with this specific idea in mind. I mean, people have been speculating that Davies and Gardner wanted to take TW to the US after CoE destroyed TW three and both of them went to the states. So instead of blaming America for "raping" something that is inherently British/Welsh, why not blame the British/Welsh people who came to America with the idea to give it away? I mean, yes, I'd rather it stayed in Wales, but I'm not going to blame American for stealing it like a theif in the night when it seems that the TW PTB are giving it away with no worries other than getting their share of the American money.

Replicator Todd
January 20th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Well regardless of who brought the idea, I can understand why the rest of the world seems to hate us so much. It makes America look like their people think they are better than everything, which I most certainly don't think that. Maybe i'm not American. :mckay: But I will remain hopeful, I think i'm more bitter over the fact that its Fox, they are good at canceling fan favorite TV shows. The X-Files was and still is great, and may be the only successful show on the Fox network. I love TW, but if Fox meddles with things it could be manipulated and changed completely, and if its successful then that would just be insane.

Ashizuri
January 20th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I can understand as well, because honestly, with the exception of Qeer as Folk and the Office, the British originals are usually far superior. It's just in this case, I don't think the analogy holds. Davies wanted to come to America and he wanted to bring his show with him. America didn't steal or rape anything, it just took what was offered, and considering how successful TW is they would have been silly not to.

Is it a bad idea? Yes, certainly. Was it America's bad idea? For once I'm pretty OK with saying no, it wasn't. It seems Davies wanted his chance in America and he wanted to take that chance with his show. Can't really blame him for it.

Replicator Todd
January 20th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I wonder why of all places Davies chose the overseas America....

Ashizuri
January 20th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I wonder why of all places Davies chose the overseas America....

Apparently, we American's take our drama more seriously than the British. :rolleyes:

Source (http://scifipulse.net/?p=11855)

Davies tells Torchwood Magazine he believes his trade is taken much more seriously in the USA than it is at home in the UK:

“The attitudes towards drama there are very different, and their outlook is more professional in terms of how they approach the job. I heard this brilliant quote from [acclaimed British screenwriter] Frank Cottrell Boyce recently, where he said that British writers are essentially amateur and they want to go home or go to the pub, but in America they can’t wait to go in to the office.”

Seriously, there is not enough :rolleyes: in the world for that quote.

LaCroix
January 20th, 2010, 01:04 PM
From JB's Yahoo group"

"Word from Gavin (John's manager) is that he's been told a Torchwood script has been written for Fox, but it is too early to comment on any further details. There is no confirmation at this stage, and that includes the question of whether Fox will take up the script, or whether John might be involved."

Replicator Todd
January 20th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Apparently, we American's take our drama more seriously than the British. :rolleyes:

:indeed: Well, I will remain hopeful that the show will be good.

DigiFluid
January 20th, 2010, 02:06 PM

Jeez, no kidding. :rolleyes:

Dusk
January 22nd, 2010, 12:27 AM
Judging by the reactions here, I can only imagine what the thoughts would be if they decided to do a USA Doctor Who. Surprisingly, phone booth time travel has been attempted on US productions before (who can forget Bill & Ted?). Suffice to say I have no aversions to Doctor Who episodes set and filmed in the USA (or any international location for that matter). But here with Torchwood, I think the idea is edgy, but without substance or value. In fact I find it shocking that the BBC would consider abusing the franchise in this way.

Sadly, if they think for even a moment that there may be profit involved, the production is likely ot go ahead.

Skydiver
January 22nd, 2010, 04:56 AM
my biggest 'fear' is that, here in the US, 'edgy' seems to be defined as : let's see how kinky we can get, let's see who can shag whom, let's see how many tank tops we can get in there....in other words, 'edge' seems to equal sexifying a show.

I get tired of show creators going down the 'fast and easy titillation' route instead of taking some time to make a thought provoking, creative and unique plot twist.

Honestly, I see them as taking Torchwood and basically trying to redo the x-files, likely with an emphasis on a pair/couple that they can ship instead of a team. If they try to recreate the jack/ianto relationship (i find this doubtful) I expect camp not a simple matter of factness. If any of the characters are married (ala Gwen) they'll be divorced/separated before the end of the first season, likely after using the cliche 'partner messes up a situation with his/her insecurities and sticking their nose in'.

It would be done in Vancouver, with the same pool of actors and locations we've been watching for years...and i bet there'll be a 'something from the rift makes them horny' episode in the first half dozen. :)

pbellosom
January 22nd, 2010, 05:12 AM
my biggest 'fear' is that, here in the US, 'edgy' seems to be defined as : let's see how kinky we can get, let's see who can shag whom, let's see how many tank tops we can get in there....in other words, 'edge' seems to equal sexifying a show.

I get tired of show creators going down the 'fast and easy titillation' route instead of taking some time to make a thought provoking, creative and unique plot twist.

Honestly, I see them as taking Torchwood and basically trying to redo the x-files, likely with an emphasis on a pair/couple that they can ship instead of a team. If they try to recreate the jack/ianto relationship (i find this doubtful) I expect camp not a simple matter of factness. If any of the characters are married (ala Gwen) they'll be divorced/separated before the end of the first season, likely after using the cliche 'partner messes up a situation with his/her insecurities and sticking their nose in'.

It would be done in Vancouver, with the same pool of actors and locations we've been watching for years...and i bet there'll be a 'something from the rift makes them horny' episode in the first half dozen. :)

So basically it's going to be identical to season one then?

Skydiver
January 22nd, 2010, 05:24 AM
I don't remember it that way, but it didn't bug me so much, maybe because there's a different attitude in Brit shows. They have a science of being naughty without being crude.

and yes, reese did play the 'potential troublemaker that asked the wrong questions' in the beginning, but it didn't end in divorce so that gwen and jack could get together, it ended with reese practically becoming part of the team. It was dealt with in a very adult manner as far as i was concerned.

they yelled, they screamed, they fought and they overcame, and i think they're stronger for it

I don't have that much faith in US tv productions anymore. The overriding attitude amongst US tv makers is do it cheap, do it easy, crank it out and don't make it too thought provoking or different. cliches are good and cliches = easy ratings

SaberBlade
January 22nd, 2010, 06:39 AM
Well I think we just figured out where Torchwood 4 is going to be found.

I am not sure what to think really. I don't really see FOX being as open minded about Jack being bisexual, and even if they included that aspect I do think they'd lean him more towards women as opposed to UK Torchwood/Dr.Who which has him leaning more towards men (Captain John, Ianto, Alonso). I can see this being more of a primetime Dr.Who type show, aimed at families as opposed to adults so would end up missing a lot of innuendo, swearing and make out sessions with other characters that make Torchwood very much different a lot of other scifi shows.

The only real benefits I could see to Torchwood USA is a longer season, and while that is not a bad thing (I think it's a good thing), I wouldn't want to see something that could be done over 10 to 12 episodes then end with a big finale, be long and drawn out and ultimately be less satisfying at the end.

I don't have that much faith in US tv productions anymore. The overriding attitude amongst US tv makers is do it cheap, do it easy, crank it out and don't make it too thought provoking or different. cliches are good and cliches = easy ratings

I think that is one of my problems with American remakes in general. It can't be to too provoking or different because then people will complain or refuse to watch it because they don't understand it. They need to have the token characters be it minorities, more than one female character, or hell even make Jack more towards men than females just to be edgy and cool while never actually showing him with another man. I just hope they don't do something crap like the US ending of 'Life on Mars'.

Blue Shadowdancer
January 22nd, 2010, 07:00 AM
I don't remember it that way, but it didn't bug me so much, maybe because there's a different attitude in Brit shows. They have a science of being naughty without being crude.

and yes, reese did play the 'potential troublemaker that asked the wrong questions' in the beginning, but it didn't end in divorce so that gwen and jack could get together, it ended with reese practically becoming part of the team. It was dealt with in a very adult manner as far as i was concerned.

they yelled, they screamed, they fought and they overcame, and i think they're stronger for it

I feel the need to defend Welsh spelling - it's Rhys, not Reese ;)

Col.Foley
January 22nd, 2010, 12:53 PM
This is so awesome of an idea :D

Replicator Todd
January 22nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
This is so awesome of an idea :D

:mckay: You sure?

Col.Foley
January 22nd, 2010, 03:47 PM
:mckay: You sure?

If they have John Barrowman

And if RTD is involved.

Then yes this should be a pretty awesome idea.

As for Americans being unable to produce quality TV.....maybe for the most part but there are still good shows out there.

The Mighty 6 platoon
January 22nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
If they have John Barrowman

And if RTD is involved.

Then yes this should be a pretty awesome idea.

As for Americans being unable to produce quality TV.....maybe for the most part but there are still good shows out there.

Would it be so awesome? Because I imagine the whole omni sexual part of Capt Jack's personality would be removed for American audiences.

Col.Foley
January 22nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
Would it be so awesome? Because I imagine the whole omni sexual part of Capt Jack's personality would be removed for American audiences.

you imagine but I say wait and see :)

The Mighty 6 platoon
January 22nd, 2010, 05:45 PM

I ain't holding my breathe for it.

Replicator Todd
January 22nd, 2010, 06:15 PM

I will, but i'm not excited.

nx01a
January 22nd, 2010, 09:14 PM
If it were on FX or USA, hell, even SyFy, it might be good... but Fox? This will end in tears. :(

Col.Foley
January 22nd, 2010, 09:55 PM
If it were on FX or USA, hell, even SyFy, it might be good... but Fox? This will end in tears. :(

that is the only thing, that they will can it very quickly after it would be made, but al lit really needs is two or three seasons to turn it into something that is called a successful series. It will be in total a show that lasts for 6 years, and that is a descent run in todays world.

Replicator Todd
January 22nd, 2010, 10:14 PM

:indeed: FX seems to be growing in success with their original shows. (Nip Tuck, Sons of Anarchy, Archer, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and whatever was the other one). USA? I'm not so sure, have they done sci-fi before? Most of their programming is action-oriented, then again, characters welcome :). SyFy? Maybe, but they do have a canceling streak.

Angela V
January 22nd, 2010, 10:55 PM
The 1996 Doctor Who movie was filmed in partner ship with FOX made in VANCOUVER. That movie failed in the USA.

Excuse me while I hop in the Tardis and head to FOX. Got some heads to bang together before it's too late.

The_Carpenter
January 23rd, 2010, 07:20 AM
The 1996 Doctor Who movie was filmed in partner ship with FOX made in VANCOUVER. That movie failed in the USA.

Excuse me while I hop in the Tardis and head to FOX. Got some heads to bang together before it's too late.

And let's not forget it was awful... let's make try and retcon the Doctor to be half Human! There is just not enough facepalm for that.

I just hope we still get Season 4 set in Cardif.

Replicator Todd
January 23rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
And let's not forget it was awful... let's make try and retcon the Doctor to be half Human! There is just not enough facepalm for that.

Me too, we could somehow have two Torchwood shows airing at once.

Col.Foley
January 23rd, 2010, 04:57 PM

I have never understoof what the problem was with that.

SaberBlade
January 23rd, 2010, 05:08 PM
I think the problem is he's an 900 year old alien, who for the American audience had to be turned at least partly human because damn, you can just relate to a 900 year old time travelling alien when he's at least half human.

Col.Foley
January 23rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
I think the problem is he's an 900 year old alien, who for the American audience had to be turned at least partly human because damn, you can just relate to a 900 year old time travelling alien when he's at least half human.

If that is the reason then its a stupid one :P

SaberBlade
January 23rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Could have been worse, He may have been an American sounding "Half human on my mother's side" time travelling alien.

Col.Foley
January 23rd, 2010, 05:28 PM
Could have been worse, He may have been an American sounding "Half human on my mother's side" time travelling alien.

I think that would have made sense. Still I do not see quite what the problem was, he admitted he was half human, I doubt there was very much of a chance for him to admit that he was in the past.

Skydiver
January 23rd, 2010, 06:32 PM
I'm not sure if captain jack will be more than a 'in the pilot then gone' guest star. and i agree, if he stays they'd have to deliberately not mention his sexuality - so they'd have to tone him down or only have him hit on women to give the heterosexual impression.

likely they can't afford to have barrowman full time so it'll be full of pretty young things and an overabundance of cgi monsters

SaberBlade
January 23rd, 2010, 07:03 PM
With Jack, I can either seem them completely ignoring the fact he's bi or worse, completely embrace it to the point where they've turned it from "yeah, he's into men. so what?" to "hey, look at him, he's into men".

I want him to stay Captain Jack
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i91/goldrush_girl17/1a2.jpg

Not turn into Captain Jack
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YQt-TpvgsJY/ST6D0r6AWOI/AAAAAAAAATg/xkLpdJy28Z0/s400/Jack5.jpg

mjwalshe
January 24th, 2010, 04:31 PM
For ****S SAKE!

And yes, I know that'll get censored.

well and as torchwood is in thoery an secret arm of the UK with the aim of protecting the empire - will they be trying to return the colonials to British rule ? well its one way to get national healthcare sorted.

Madeleine
February 2nd, 2010, 10:28 AM

Oddly, my biggest fear is that it would be done in Vancouver. Nothing against the place, except that it's been the setting for every US SF/F thing I ever watched except the Whedon shows. It makes them all look a bit samey. Every alien planet is made of woods containing a boring sort of tree, and all the small towns look the same.

As to the rights and wrongs of an American 'franchise' of TW, I've no complaints. Doctor Who is sacred of course - the DW universe has to be based on a British version of outer space - but AFAIC TW can be loaned out to anyone who wants to have a go at it, and good luck to them. I'll watch with interest, if it ever gets off the ground.

mjwalshe
February 4th, 2010, 05:16 PM

Um I thought that was the entire team that where BI, ok Gwen just had a good snog so she might just be strieght and Suzi died in the first episode.

Ukko
February 5th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Well with any luck nothing'll come of this.

Does anyone else remember Red Dwarf USA?

I saw about six mins of it.

I havnt been the same since:(

mjwalshe
February 5th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I saw about six mins of it.

I havnt been the same since:(

did you see the clip of the Americqn Pilot of Dads Army they showed a while back

nx01a
February 8th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Remember the US clone of 'Men Behaving Badly'. *gag*

SaberBlade
February 8th, 2010, 09:16 PM
It's funny, the most successful shows from the UK to US are either The Office, a show that has no real plot or Simon Cowell's **** show, shows that have no real talent. I think America fails when it can't do anything of real enjoyment and pleasure to watch.

Doesn't give me much hope for Torchwood.

Merlin's_Legacy
February 21st, 2010, 06:21 PM
You know, reading this thread made me think "I'd much rather see John Barrowman playing John Taylor in a TV version of Simon R Green's 'Nightside' series than a US version of Torchwood.... Maybe with Anthony Stewart Head playing Walker..."

badwolfSG
February 21st, 2010, 07:09 PM
I'd rather not have a US version of TW, I may live here but It doesn't mean I like it. ;)

Oh, I agree! This is a horrible idea! And I normally for US remakes, I'm like what the heck why not, but in this case it's really really bad. The best thing about TW is that it crosses the line, of you never know what to expected( okay, the show doesn't even have a line any more but that's what makes so awesome.) but to bring TW over to US verison is BAD! They going to make it more viewer friendly and who knows what else and it will only become a hideous carbon copy of the original.

Skydiver
February 24th, 2010, 05:26 AM
the term 'viewer friendly' scares me.

i'm sure some in the network will see that as 'dumb it down, sex it up and make it appeal to the lowest common denominator'

what made the bbc torchwood so fun was, yeah, they had a sense of fun at times, but they also weren't afraid to do the non-pc stuff.

captain jack being gay was...just part of the show, not a 'look at us, aren't we politically correct?' and he wasn't a joke like the Jack character on Will and Grace. it had a good mix of angst and tragedy and humor and hilarity

I don't have much faith in Fox having any class when they remake it

Pharaoh Atem
February 24th, 2010, 06:12 AM
fox?? it won't last. the uk version is superior

SaberBlade
February 24th, 2010, 11:33 PM

i'm sure some in the network will see that as 'dumb it down, sex it up and make it appeal to the lowest common denominator'

what made the bbc torchwood so fun was, yeah, they had a sense of fun at times, but they also weren't afraid to do the non-pc stuff.

captain jack being gay was...just part of the show, not a 'look at us, aren't we politically correct?' and he wasn't a joke like the Jack character on Will and Grace. it had a good mix of angst and tragedy and humor and hilarity

Plus, I wouldn't expect Jack to be as... what's the word... dedicated. If you've seen Children of Earth, you'll know what I mean. I couldn't see a US version ending like that.

For some reason, I also expect a US version to be way patriotic. Not sure why this idea came to mind since it's so different to what I am expecting. In Dr. Who, Torchwood was out to do what is best for "the British Empire" and after the battle of Canary Wharf, the show Torchwood completely changed to being about doing what is right regardless because it had Jack in charge. I'm already seeing pictures of Obama on the wall and the Stars/Stripes hanging in someone's office and aliens looking somewhat Arab or Mexican who are out to commit acts of terrorism.

Skydiver
February 25th, 2010, 05:17 AM
i doubt they'll be that un-politically correct.

i'm honestly expecting ti to be more like x-files, just with more CGI and a bigger focus than the perpetual 'cover up' taht the x-files had

Girlbot
February 25th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Shock, horror and fear, yeah someone put it that way, and I agree. either we go with the real Jack, or just can the whole idea. Torchwood wouldn't be Torchwood without him.

Ashizuri
February 25th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Honestly, I figure TW US will be in the vein of CoE in regards to story and characterizations, and Jack's sexuality was very toned down in the miniseries. No wild flirting, so sex stories, no sexual banter, hell, to a lot of fans he barely seemed to like Ianto...

If they keep him as he was presented in CoE I can't imagine that there would be any changes to his character that weren't first presented to us in CoE. Besides, Jack's not gay, so if they put him in a relationship with a woman it's really not out of character for him.

Skydiver
February 25th, 2010, 06:10 PM
will they use the same characters? or will they just have an american team of the torchwood contingent?

a 'spinoff' that isn't really a spin off

SaberBlade
February 26th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Honestly, I figure TW US will be in the vein of CoE in regards to story and characterizations, and Jack's sexuality was very toned down in the miniseries. No wild flirting, so sex stories, no sexual banter, hell, to a lot of fans he barely seemed to like Ianto...

If they keep him as he was presented in CoE I can't imagine that there would be any changes to his character that weren't first presented to us in CoE. Besides, Jack's not gay, so if they put him in a relationship with a woman it's really not out of character for him.

Jack isn't anything. Not gay, straight, bisexual, he just comes from a time where people's sexuality isn't limited by societies views. That said, by today's standards Jack could be described as bisexual however I think that using gay seems to work best with Jack, not because John Barrowman is gay, but because Jack has shown more interest in men within the show than in females.

There was the original Captain Jack, Captain John too, Ianto, Alonso, and while nothing ever happened, I think he'd have jumped 10th if given a chance.

will they use the same characters? or will they just have an american team of the torchwood contingent?

a 'spinoff' that isn't really a spin off

I'd hope for new American characters. This way the show can fit into the same overall continuity of Dr. Who, Torchwood UK, Sarah Jane Adventures and those animations that were done with 10th/Martha as opposed to being treated as a remake and having no canonical value at all. Having it as a spinoff like this, as opposed to an American remake of Torchwood would also, in my opinion, make it more welcomed by fans as opposed to being treated like the weird uncle who no one wants to talk about, ever.

Get Barrowman to crossover, perhaps even some of the English... well Welsh cast, sort of like starting a new Trek series with someone already established from the previous show (TNG had Bones, DS9 had Picard, Voyager had Quark). I think giving them the option of crossing over with Torchwood UK would ultimately make it a better show.

Skydiver
February 26th, 2010, 05:47 AM
I think if they take the forumula 'group working outside the law to contain critters and knowledge about the rift' and make new characters, it stands a chance.

if they try to mimick Jack and Ianto and Gwen and Owen and Tash.....it'll die.

remake the formula and plot bunny, not all the details and characters

SaberBlade
February 26th, 2010, 08:40 AM
I think they'd have to use that formula regardless, as it's wouldn't be Torchwood without it. Being more official about everything would make the show a bit more like Fringe, just without the aliens, and I think it would lose a lot of it's Torchwood style if people walked up flashing badges, wearing suits and taking charge.

While the biggest issue is whether it's a remake, or just a US based spinoff. If it's a remake, I'd expect the US equivalent of Tosh, Ianto, Gwen and Owen, but makes me wonder if they'd have an English version of Jack leading it however that would ultimately harm the show. If it is a spinoff, they could include John Barrownman as Jack for the pilot or if it's a limited episode series, keep him for it then do season two without him, then the US version could start standing on it's own feet without the need for such connections to Torchwood UK. As a US based spinoff (rather than remake) would allow those involved to create unique characters.

Ashizuri
February 26th, 2010, 08:59 AM
That said, by today's standards Jack could be described as bisexual however I think that using gay seems to work best with Jack, not because John Barrowman is gay, but because Jack has shown more interest in men within the show than in females.

A bit OT, but I kind of agree and kind of disagree. I think Jack has shown more sexual interest in men throughout the series, but I think that (with the exception of Ten and possibly the real Captain Jack) he has shown more romantic interest towards women. If Jack's going to have a fling, I think it will be a man, but if they put him in an honest relationship (where he will admit and be ok with that fact) I think it will be a woman. Or I'm completely off the mark. :D The intrepersonal relationships in TW never made any sense to me.

remake the formula and plot bunny, not all the details and characters

I agree. As much as I'm not a huge fan of RTD's storytelling, he has always had an amazing talent for creating dynamic, likeable characters. So aside from Jack, who is the only necessary TW component IMO, he should create a whole new cast, not just American versions of the originals. Besides, the original TW cast was so well loved that I imagine that there would be a lot of comparisions being made by the audience and I know for me personally Burn Gorman as Owen and GDL as Ianto would be hard to beat.

I suppose it all comes down to whether it's a remake or a spinoff.

shipper hannah
February 28th, 2010, 11:21 AM
What stupid, stupid, stupid idea.

Aerilon
March 6th, 2010, 01:12 AM
This could work, but would have to be thought about, obviously.

It has been mentioned in the show that there were other teams and bases, I don't see why there couldn't be an American team / base, that has been dormant for some time. If they do start this show up though, ideally we NEED Jack to kickstart things, essentially getting an American team together, and then leaving them to it.

Simply throwing a bunch of people together wont work.

Laertes
March 6th, 2010, 01:28 PM
As long as they leave Jack's love of kissing men alone I don't see a problem. That's the one big thing I can see an American broadcaster, especially Fox, changing

Madwelshboy
March 9th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Ultimate sci-fi TV pilot guide: Your favorite shows of the future

Torchwood Doctor Who/Torchwood's Russell T Davies no sooner came to the U.S. than he promptly pitched Fox a U.S. version of Torchwood. There's also been talk that original star John Barrowman might reprise his role as Captain Jack and that the series, about a covert group of alien hunters, would focus on more internationally based stories. It's a long shot that this would go through. BBC America still holds the broadcast rights, and, as far as we know, it hasn't been canceled across the pond. That doesn't mean that there couldn't also be an American version, but there's some work to do to make a deal come together. It all sounds too good to be true.
Chance of pickup: 20 percent. We'll believe it when we see it, and we'd really like to see it.

http://scifiwire.com/2010/03/ultimate-sci-fi-tv-pilot.php

Replicator Todd
March 10th, 2010, 10:49 PM
http://scifiwire.com/2010/03/ultimate-sci-fi-tv-pilot.php

*gulp*

SaberBlade
March 11th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Makes me wonder why they he didn't just go to BBC America instead of Fox. However, I could see it being picked up so long BBC America is being credited and gets rerun rights.

Blencathra
March 12th, 2010, 12:03 AM
This gives me a small reason to hope that it won't happen. Fingers (& everything else) crossed that it gets quietly shelved.

Ashizuri
March 12th, 2010, 09:10 AM
As time goes on, I find myself more interested in TW: America than I am in anymore stories from Torchwood 3. I kind of hope it gets picked up.

AresLover452
March 15th, 2010, 11:21 PM

That is just insulting. TORCHWOOD was the best as it was and should not be remade by anyone in the US.

AresLover452
March 17th, 2010, 08:37 PM
As long as they leave Jack's love of kissing men alone I don't see a problem. That's the one big thing I can see an American broadcaster, especially Fox, changing

Jack is especially hawt when kissing men and I it would be the first thing changed by FOX

Madwelshboy
March 19th, 2010, 12:55 PM
'Torchwood' exclusive: Would U.S. version turn Capt. Jack straight?

Not if John Barrowman has anything to say about it.

Torchwood’s leading man (and upcoming Desperate Housewives guest star) tells me it’s his strong preference that Fox’s in-the-works American version of his BBC smash would not tinker with his character’s sexuality.
”I hope wherever [the franchise] goes that the show stays the same,” says the openly gay Scottish thesp. “The last thing I would want would be for Jack to become this heterosexual, straight hero. He’s an omnisexual guy. He likes men, women, aliens, whatever. I think we should continue going down that route.”

continues:
http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/03/19/torchwood-american-version-gay-straight/

Ashizuri
March 19th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I doubt he would be "degayed," but the character was desexualized in CoE, so I imagine that they'll play him the same way they did in the miniseries if he makes it to American TV.

Skydiver
March 19th, 2010, 05:32 PM
what they'll do is, technically jack will still be gay...but he'll be the straightest gay out there. the oogling will be toned down or happen only for females, the quips and suggestiveness will be toned down.

he'll make dumbledore look effeminate and effusive :D

Blencathra
March 20th, 2010, 03:00 AM
The more I hear about this, the more I absolutely hate the idea.

SaberBlade
March 20th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I posted this in the news thread, but I think it belongs here too because the main change we've been taking about is Jack's sexuality.

Barrowman reacts to US 'Torchwood' plans

John Barrowman has said that he doesn't want his Torchwood character's sexuality to be reversed in the US version.

According to Entertainment Weekly, the American remake of Torchwood has plans to make his Captain Jack role straight.

"I hope wherever [the franchise] goes that the show stays the same," said the actor.

"The last thing I would want would be for Jack to become this heterosexual, straight hero. He's an omnisexual guy. He likes men, women, aliens, whatever. I think we should continue going down that route."

The star added that any effort to change Captain Jack's sexual orientation would need to involve a "big discussion" between creator Russell T Davies and his producing partner Julie Gardner.

As for additional information about the spinoff, Barrowman claimed that he only knows what has already been reported, including that Fox has commissioned Davies to write the pilot.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s8/torchwood/news/a209700/barrowman-reacts-to-us-torchwood-plans.html

I have been expecting this news ever since I first posted in this thread. I guess I had been giving Fox too much credit by thinking they'd be willing to promote Jack's gayness. I was hoping that they'd just ignore his "omnisexuality" but making him straight was the worst thing they could do, so I really should have expected that.

Ashizuri
March 22nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
what they'll do is, technically jack will still be gay...but he'll be the straightest gay out there. the oogling will be toned down or happen only for females, the quips and suggestiveness will be toned down.

he'll make dumbledore look effeminate and effusive :D

Exactly this. And it wont be able to be blamed on American social mores or networks because it started in CoE. I kept waiting for Jack to tell one of his "one time, there were these six alien..." stories in CoE and it never happened.

shipper hannah
March 22nd, 2010, 04:48 PM
According to Entertainment Weekly, the American remake of Torchwood has plans to make his Captain Jack role straight.

Aaaaaaarrrrrrgh! :mad:

It was good as it was.. why can't they just leave it alone?!

Khentkawes
March 22nd, 2010, 05:16 PM
Exactly this. And it wont be able to be blamed on American social mores or networks because it started in CoE. I kept waiting for Jack to tell one of his "one time, there were these six alien..." stories in CoE and it never happened.

I kind of assumed that had more to do with the type of storytelling they were aiming for in CoE... all the "this is serious sci-fi with a serious political/social message" stuff. I don't think Jack's normal humor and innuendo would have fit with that more "serious" vibe they seemed to be going for.

Actually, that's what makes me curious about the possibility of an American version of Torchwood. Would they try to keep it dark and serious (like CoE)... or would they go with a slightly lighter style and a bit more humor? If they don't try to make it too serious, I could see them allowing a few more of Jack's quips and innuendos. But if they try to mimic the style of CoE, then I agree that they will probably tone down Jack's sexuality significantly.

Ashizuri
March 22nd, 2010, 08:16 PM
I kind of assumed that had more to do with the type of storytelling they were aiming for in CoE... all the "this is serious sci-fi with a serious political/social message" stuff. I don't think Jack's normal humor and innuendo would have fit with that more "serious" vibe they seemed to be going for.

I couldn't even begin to guess exactly why Jack was toned down in CoE (the style they were aiming for, to make him appeal to a broader audience) but I see a lot of "America better not change Jack's sexuality" when he's already been changed in the British version, for whatever reason.

CoE Jack would fit perfectly on American television; his sexuality was already watered down. He didn't flirt. There was no sexual banter. He turned down end of the world sex.

I guess it just bothers me a bit to hear how America is going to ruin this "great thing" when the very changes that are being protested happened in the British version first. I'm being weirdly defensive about this...:o

Khentkawes
March 23rd, 2010, 12:42 AM
CoE Jack would fit perfectly on American television; his sexuality was already watered down. He didn't flirt. There was no sexual banter. He turned down end of the world sex.

I guess it just bothers me a bit to hear how America is going to ruin this "great thing" when the very changes that are being protested happened in the British version first. I'm being weirdly defensive about this...:o

Oh, I understand perfectly what you're saying. And I think you have a valid point. Until you mentioned it, I hadn't even thought about how reserved Jack was in CoE (relatively speaking), but you're right.

I just have this feeling that if Jack's sexuality is toned down for an American version of Torchwood, RTD (or whoever ends up being in charge) will claim that it's because they want the new Torchwood to be more "serious" and that the sexual banter doesn't fit with the "dramatic style" they are going after. But that's just a hunch on my part. *shrug*

Skydiver
March 23rd, 2010, 05:02 AM
they'll find a way to spin it that isn't 'we're afraid we'll tick off the conservative homophobes in the viewing audience, thus we toned him down'

the thing is, no matter what they do, some group somewhere will protest it. So just make the show and don't fuss over silly things like sexuality. don't make a big deal about it, just let it be, and i bet half the time by the time whatever group that doesn't like it finds out about it, the show will have been airing for weeks/months.

in a way, this is a thumbing of the nose to Barrowman. Captain Jack's omnisexuality spoke to his centuries long experiences, and his - at times - borderline mental instability. he's seen so much, experienced so much, lost so much, that there are times when he's almost overcome with the mental stress. so he learned to live life for the day, throw caution to the wind, not get mired down in 'what if's' and become very open to trying about anything.

by making him straight, they will lose that part of him. that 'devil may care' attitude. it's too bad to see that

SaberBlade
March 24th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I think it's also "a thumbing of the nose to Barrowman" on a personal level. The UK love him as do international Who/Torchwood fans for his role as Captain Jack, but not only are they changing one of the most important aspects of the character, but Barrowman is gay too and is basically being told by Fox that being gay is a bad thing.

Ashizuri
March 24th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Well, Barrowman doesn't need Torchwood, but Torchwood needs him, so imagine it will all work out in his favor.

Skydiver
March 25th, 2010, 04:42 AM
that's what i meant, changing captain jack's sexuality is a bit of an insult to barrowman. 'ewwe, he's the hero, he CAN'T be *whispers* gay

:rolleyes:

ridiculous.

nx01a
March 25th, 2010, 04:58 PM
'Children of Earth' worked because it was an adult story told well. Jack's sexuality only came into it because of the daughter and grandson. If the US version deals with the paranormal and not the personal lives of the Torchwood Nebraska team, then there shouldn't be a problem. Well... Torchwood Nebraska is a problem in itself, but still...

Ashizuri
March 26th, 2010, 08:42 AM
'Children of Earth' worked because it was an adult story told well. Jack's sexuality only came into it because of the daughter and grandson. If the US version deals with the paranormal and not the personal lives of the Torchwood Nebraska team, then there shouldn't be a problem. Well... Torchwood Nebraska is a problem in itself, but still...

Well, I disagree completely about CoE being an adult story told well, but I have to say, TW in a small town is actually something I could get behind. I don't know, it would have a very different feel to it, something new. Actually, I think as long as it's not set in Cardiff, I could get behind most cities. I think Chicago is a city that a lot of fans are speculating about.

As long as we don't get Barrowman attempting any southern/mid-western accents again. *shudders*

Skydiver
March 26th, 2010, 10:36 AM
nonono, i was so traumatized by the true blood vampires with bad southern accents that i gave up on it.

we dont' ALL twang. just have him do your generic american and he'll do fine

huntress
March 27th, 2010, 11:54 AM
nonono, i was so traumatized by the true blood vampires with bad southern accents that i gave up on it.

we dont' ALL twang. just have him do your generic american and he'll do fine

That vampire porn series doesn't impress me but I what truly traumtized me and probably drove all true vampire lovers up the wall were those Maybeline "vampires" from Twilight. I can live with vampires who speak some sort of English I can only understand half of the time. I love accents and dialects in general and wouldn't mind a nice little accent.

Skydiver
March 27th, 2010, 02:27 PM
well, for me, the twang was so poorly done that it was painful to my ears

i know and live with midwest twang, and do it myself when i get drunk :)

but this fake southern accent just grated on my nerves. couple that with - to me - an overabundance of unnecessary sex and nudity, i just saw no reason to carry on.

it wasn't like the tudors, where sex was there when teh story demanded it, it was like the story was built around 'how many titty shots can we get in there'

now, Torchwood :)

IMHO, sex and sexuality was only a focus when it needed to be. such as that female alien going after tosh, or jack's relationships blowing upin his face. or owen and gwen's little one night stand. jack's homosexuality was less a part of teh show as it was, to me, just in there. it was just a part of him and handled as such rather than 'weeeeee, look at meeeeeeeeee!!! look how hip we are to have a gay character!!!!!!!'

maybe we, as a world, would make less of a fuss over someone's sexuality if the media stopped making it such an issue

huntress
March 27th, 2010, 02:43 PM
it was like the story was built around 'how many titty shots can we get in there'

LOL that was exactly what I was thinking in the few episodes I have seen.

Jack is not just plain ol' homosexual. He is PANsexual. He jumps anything that in his opinion was pretty and worth jumping and it didn't matter wether it was a man, woman or an insect like Chantho and I love him for that :) If that is taken away from him and he become a "gay only by name" then we have a neutered version of Jack.

Skydiver
March 27th, 2010, 05:24 PM
i caught a glimpse of his stint on desperate housewives...and he's such a toned down character i'm afraid that's what he'll be in US Torchwood. He was just another pretty actor playing a role.

SaberBlade
March 28th, 2010, 07:42 AM
IMHO, sex and sexuality was only a focus when it needed to be. such as that female alien going after tosh, or jack's relationships blowing upin his face. or owen and gwen's little one night stand. jack's homosexuality was less a part of teh show as it was, to me, just in there. it was just a part of him and handled as such rather than 'weeeeee, look at meeeeeeeeee!!! look how hip we are to have a gay character!!!!!!!'

maybe we, as a world, would make less of a fuss over someone's sexuality if the media stopped making it such an issue

Owen and Gwen had a one night stand? Don't think I remember episode, perfect excuse to re-watch. I think the best thing about us making a fuss over someone's sexuality is the fact we want him gay. We don't want him to be made straight, because of our love for the character and respect for the actor. That to me is something good, even if Fox can't see that.

I like Jack a lot, he's like a bisexual Captain Kirk, but unlike Kirk he's willing to stay committed in a relationship and doesn't screw everything that moves.

Skydiver
March 28th, 2010, 09:18 AM
jack is perennially lonely and 'tragic' in that he outlives every single person he loves. thus he loves as much as he can to enjoy what he can while he can. and he doesn't care if it's man or woman, villian or hero, he loves the person, not the gender.

as such there was a vivacity and liveliness to him. the devil may care attitude that made him very lovable. if they take that out of him, they might as well recast the role, because he won't be captain jack harkness, he'll be the brit dude that's kickstarting Torchwood North Dakota ;)

SaberBlade
March 28th, 2010, 11:49 AM
jack is perennially lonely and 'tragic' in that he outlives every single person he loves. thus he loves as much as he can to enjoy what he can while he can. and he doesn't care if it's man or woman, villian or hero, he loves the person, not the gender.

as such there was a vivacity and liveliness to him. the devil may care attitude that made him very lovable. if they take that out of him, they might as well recast the role, because he won't be captain jack harkness, he'll be the brit dude that's kickstarting Torchwood North Dakota ;)

Recasting the role would probably be best, because the more distance fans can put between UK Jack and US Jack, the better. Even if we believe the show won't get past the pilot, rather not have Barrowman act as a different version of Jack. If he can't be Jack, he shouldn't try being someone else for it.

I'd like to believe the best thing to do is have a Captain Jack cameo, like an O'Neill/Jackson cameo in SGA/U. Something happens, Jack shows up, does his thing, leaves, and lets the new Torchwood team he'd have formed take over.

They can have a straight white leader, throw in a sexy colleague for that leader to flirt with to add sexual tension, throw in a black woman, an asian guy and maybe a Native American so they can have an ethic rainbow and when some LGBT (I think that's the right order) group complain because they cut out the gay character, they can magically make one the black woman lesbian because lesbians seem to be more acceptable than gay men.

Jewels
April 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Okay, here's my opinion. Sorry if I cover anything already said, I haven't gone through all the pages.

A US version of Torchwood would be a HUGE mistake!! There has never been a US version of a British show that was worth watching. The US market is so afraid of anything to do with homosexuality(yes I know, Jack is omnisexual), that isn't humourous, that it would destroy one of the best aspects of the show. Why must US TV/filmmakers copy British shows? Can't they come up with anything on their own?

New comment- If the show was basically an explanation of what happened to the missing TW group, once mentioned by Jack, then it might have a chance. Someone mentioned Chicago as a possible location. Then it would probably be shot in Toronto as that city has stood in for Chicago in the past. As much as I love Vancouver it does get boring seeing the same locations and actors in all shows. I wondered why RTD and JG seemed so eager to run to the US, was the idea of a US TW already in their minds? Or are they using the current excitement for TW as a way in the door of the US tv industry?

I love Torchwood! Have it all on DVD, the books, radio shows, the magazine, the soundtrack to CofE and a few of the audiobooks so yes some would say I'm a little obsessed. I've even read JB's autobiographies, great read and a great laugh! I don't think making a US version would take away from the original but it would show how desperate the US market is to come up with something that people will watch. Instead they should pay attention to the fact that viewers want quality shows and work from there. Obviously some viewers are looking for more than crap "reality" shows.

I'm positive that the gay side of Jack would dissappear from a US version. It seems the only gay characters you see on US tv are the comic relief of the show, yes even Will descended into stereotypical territory at times.

New comment #2- US tv doesn't seem to have as much trouble with the idea of 2 women as a couple. Just look at how many times we had to see the Brittany/Madonna kiss. But when Adam Lambert kisses a guy onstage the uproar was deafening, news coverage edited the performance in it's coverage. The US does seem to have a problem with the idea of 2 men together, I think it's because it threatens their macho male self image.

They made a US version of Life on Mars and it was garbage, didn't last. Why because the original was better. I think US tv producers think that the American viewers will only watch a show where the characters sound like Americans and live in American cities. I think that is underestimating the intelligence of the American viewer.

Now I'm going to go back and read over the preceeding 6 pages, I might have add more comments.

New comment #3- Part of what I loved about TW, besides the sci-fi, was the characters. I didn't even like Owen but when he and Tosh are facing the end of their lives (Owen for the second time) I was in tears. I won't even start on how I felt about Ianto! What I did notice was that for the first time I was seeing my youngest getting in to the characters of a show so much that, at the end of day 4 CoE, she ran for the computer to look up info on whether Ianto would be back. She was so upset at the outcome she didn't even know if she wanted to watch day 5, she did in the end.

One other thought- At the end of CoE Jack left Earth! Could the new show be a little more out of this world? What would it take to get Jack back to Earth?

Ashizuri
April 8th, 2010, 01:10 PM
There has never been a US version of a British show that was worth watching.

The US version of Queer as Folk is definately worth watching. The US version of the Office is also quite watchable, and Three's Company and Sanford and Son were both huge hits with American audiences.

If the show was basically an explanation of what happened to the missing TW group, once mentioned by Jack, then it might have a chance.

Honestly, as long as there is no more TW3/Cardiff, I'm open to any new locations. I want Jack leading a whole new team if it comes back (which I'm not sure it will). I don't think I could stand to watch Gwen get a happy ending after all that Jack, Ianto, Tosh and Owen suffered. I don't think I could stand to see her not get a happy ending either. I think TW3 just needs to be allowed to fade away.

I wondered why RTD and JG seemed so eager to run to the US, was the idea of a US TW already in their minds? Or are they using the current excitement for TW as a way in the door of the US tv industry?

Well, RTD has admitted that the thinks American writers take their jobs more seriously. Not quite sure where he got that idea, but that's what he thinks.

I'm positive that the gay side of Jack would dissappear from a US version. It seems the only gay characters you see on US tv are the comic relief of the show, yes even Will descended into stereotypical territory at times.

Well, like I've said before, Jack's "gay" side was pretty nonexistant in CoE, so there wont be much of a change there. And EM did say that Jack and Ianto were the comic relief in TW...

Jewels
April 8th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I don't think that Jack's sexuality was non existant in CoE but I do think he was having a possible issue with the idea of commitment, since Ianto did keep bringing up the "couple" comments. Honestly, if something like the 456 was happening and you're dealing with a deadline, who would stop for "end of the world sex" if you're the only ones who can stop the bad guys? End of the world sex only happens on tv or in the movies, so the show had a little reality in it.

Ashizuri
April 8th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I don't think that Jack's sexuality was non existant in CoE but I do think he was having a possible issue with the idea of commitment, since Ianto did keep bringing up the "couple" comments. Honestly, if something like the 456 was happening and you're dealing with a deadline, who would stop for "end of the world sex" if you're the only ones who can stop the bad guys? End of the world sex only happens on tv or in the movies, so the show had a little reality in it.

Jack Harkness. Especially since at that moment they weren't doing anything. Jack letting beans stop him from a little kissy-face, or at least telling a "one time there was this crisis and I was stuck with a six-armed alien, no pants, and a can of spacebeans..." stories was OOC in the extreme to me. Which is just my opinion, but my point was that I really dont think CoE Jack needs to be changed at all to fit on American television. Instead of commitment issues they'll say he's broken hearted over losing his lover (whose name or sexuality they will never mention) and have dark, nonflirty, banter-free CoE-type Jack and most American viewers will never know that he was any different.

Angela V
April 10th, 2010, 11:40 PM
i caught a glimpse of his stint on desperate housewives...and he's such a toned down character i'm afraid that's what he'll be in US Torchwood. He was just another pretty actor playing a role.

We haven't seen much of his character on DH and he killed someone. I don't expect Jack Harkness to appear on DH. Though that would spice up the show. :)

Madwelshboy
April 22nd, 2010, 05:44 AM
US Torchwood not happening yet – boo-hoo

According to The Hollywood Reporter, a US version of Torchwood has been rejected by the Fox network, forcing it to find a home elsewhere. A US iteration of Torchwood does sound odd, doesn’t it? After all, its slightly strange name is anagram of its mother show, and its main character, Captain Jack Harkness, exists because of Doctor Who.

In other words, to a US audience, Torchwood would automatically have less relevance. I don’t think, stylistically, it would be a good fit – there’s something altogether British about Torchwood, and relocating the hub to, say, California or New York just sounds a little bit weird.

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/blog/us-torchwood-not-happening-yet-boo-hoo/

SaberBlade
April 22nd, 2010, 06:18 AM
Fantastic news.. although probably bad news in the long run if they decide to do Doctor Who first.

Ashizuri
April 22nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Well, this article says clearly that there will be no American Doctor (thank goodness) but that TW America is still very much a possibility. I imagine that TW Wales, whatever possibility there is of making a new season there, is on hold indefinately untill TW America gets sorted out.

"Torchwood" Snuffed at Fox, but... (http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/04/torchwood-snuffed-at-fox.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+live_feed+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Live+Feed%29)

As to that last part, BBC Worldwide executive vp of programming and production Jane Tranter reiterated that a U.S. version was still making progress.

"It's very much ongoing and very much alive," Tranter said.

Khentkawes
April 22nd, 2010, 06:24 PM
Same news, different site. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8637901.stm

It seems that they are still talking to other networks about the show, but I have to I have to wonder... what networks? If Fox isn't willing to take a risk on it, then who would be?

Also, even though I didn't really believe it in the first place, I'm impossibly relieved to hear there won't be an American Doctor Who. That would just be wrong on so many levels.

Ashizuri
April 22nd, 2010, 08:22 PM
It seems that they are still talking to other networks about the show, but I have to I have to wonder... what networks? If Fox isn't willing to take a risk on it, then who would be?

Well, it's scary to think about, but skiffy is always an option. Or they could try the cable route with HBO or showtime.

Khentkawes
April 23rd, 2010, 01:05 PM
Well, it's scary to think about, but skiffy is always an option. Or they could try the cable route with HBO or showtime.

I could see SyFy begging for a chance at it. Hadn't considered HBO or Showtime, but I guess it's possible. I do wonder how big of an audience BBC/RTD/whoever were hoping for and if they will be willing to settle for a smaller cable network (which, IMO, is probably their only option).

Replicator Todd
April 23rd, 2010, 04:44 PM
I don't see how they can do Torchwood successfully in America...

SaberBlade
April 23rd, 2010, 07:00 PM
I don't see how they can do Torchwood successfully in America...

If The Office can work in the US, anything can, and that show wasn't even funny. Then again, Ricky Gervais gets a lot of praise in the UK, even though he's as funny as a Doctor sticking a finger up your arse.

Replicator Todd
April 23rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
If The Office can work in the US, anything can, and that show wasn't even funny. Then again, Ricky Gervais gets a lot of praise in the UK, even though he's as funny as a Doctor sticking a finger up your arse.

I like the US Office! Ricky Gervais is another story...but now that I think about it, I bet people would check out a US Torchwood thinking its a new X-Files like show or something.

Khentkawes
April 24th, 2010, 01:42 AM
but now that I think about it, I bet people would check out a US Torchwood thinking its a new X-Files like show or something.

That's actually why I'm not sure if it will work. How many sci-fi shows have we seen where a pseudo-government or otherwise top-secret organization hunts down alien/supernatural/abnormal creatures and/or technology? I know that's an incredibly simplistic description, but it is basically the premise of Torchwood. And a bunch of other sci-fi shows. When I started watching Torchwood, there were several things that I thought were unique about it. One was the mixture of dark drama with completely cracky/cheesy comic bits (which I think is a tough balance that even UK Torchwood didn't always get right) and the other was Jack (and his ties to the Doctor Who world) because he brought in an usual outside perspective. But if they try to Americanize it, I'm afraid it would lose most of it's originality and not be that much different from X-Files/Sanctuary/Warehouse13 or any number of other shows that have a similar premise.

Billz
May 5th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Its been cancelled.

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/04/torchwood-snuffed-at-fox.html

Skydiver
May 5th, 2010, 04:00 AM
good

i'd rather not have it than have an americanized version.

SaberBlade
May 5th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Thank God, Fox shows a glimmer of good judgement, and I'm glad we don't have to deal with a US version. Unfortunately, who knows when the UK will get a new season, so slightly disappointed that a US version can't be done just to have Torchwood on our screen.

Replicator Todd
May 5th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Thank God, Fox shows a glimmer of good judgement, and I'm glad we don't have to deal with a US version. Unfortunately, who knows when the UK will get a new season, so slightly disappointed that a US version can't be done just to have Torchwood on our screen.

Indeed! I'm glad there is no Foxifyied US Torchwood but sad to see there is no new Torchwood as of yet.

Flyboy
May 6th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks the heavens. Torchwood is Welsh and should STAY Welsh!

Billz
May 6th, 2010, 05:21 PM
There may not be a "Foxified" version being made, but that doesn't mean that the US has given up on ruining Torchwood just yet.

We are currently in discussion with several interested networks.”

As to that last part, BBC Worldwide executive vp of programming and production Jane Tranter reiterated that a U.S. version was still making progress.

"It's very much ongoing and very much alive," Tranter said.

Whoever this Jane Tranter is, needs to have Jack use an amnesia pill on her.

I don't want to offend any americans currently reading this post, but niether 'Doctor Who' or 'Torchwood' should be tainted by american producers.

Replicator Todd
May 6th, 2010, 09:33 PM
There may not be a "Foxified" version being made, but that doesn't mean that the US has given up on ruining Torchwood just yet.

Whoever this Jane Tranter is, needs to have Jack use an amnesia pill on her.

I don't want to offend any americans currently reading this post, but niether 'Doctor Who' or 'Torchwood' should be tainted by american producers.

Indeed, I'm American and I agree. Even if there is to be a U.S. Torchwood, it should be done by the British, or something similar....:o

Skydiver
May 7th, 2010, 04:00 AM
another yank that agrees

all too often the US definition of 'good' scifi (by network execs) is
boobs, butts, bombs, oh yeah and we'll toss in some cliched stories and pretty actors (making sure we're policically correct in gender and racial make up) and make this bland little thing

and if there's another show that's more avant garde and getting notice, well let's discredit and kill it, cause you know, we can't have people thinking that scifi is supposed to be full of rich characters and vibrant stories and plots that aren't all 'white hat vs black hat'

Alan
May 15th, 2010, 07:34 AM
IF the BBC has to get a Torchwood series made by an American company then I say it should go to HBO. HBO co-produced the shows Band of Brothers and Rome with the BBC and made great jobs with them too. I feel that if BBC feel its absolutely necessary for an American company to become involved with producing Torchwood then I hope, with all my heart, that its HBO. The BBC and HBO have worked together very well before and I reckon they could do so again with Torchwood.

If FOX had managed to get their hands on it then they'd be filming it in LA or something. HBO seems more outgoing. HBO/BBC filmed Band of Brothers in many, many countries outside of the US ranging from the UK to Switzerland. HBO/BBC filmed Rome in Italy. If their willing to go that far to produce those shows then I reckon they could keep Torchwood filming in Cardiff.

Lairston
June 1st, 2010, 08:51 PM
Fox shows a glimmer of good judgement

Fox can do that? :shock:

I didn't think it was possible for Fox...

*with the exception of producing X-files and 24 but then they went and canceled 24*

Lairston
June 1st, 2010, 08:53 PM
boobs, butts,

tight outfits. Don't forget those...

Not that I'm complaining.

Lairston
June 1st, 2010, 08:55 PM
Its been cancelled.

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/04/torchwood-snuffed-at-fox.html

From that article

Also, fans shouldn't hope for/worry about a U.S. edition "Doctor Who," whose recent season premiere just set a ratings record on BBC America.

"It may well be confusing to have a British Doctor and an American Doctor at the same time," she said. "There is only one Doctor, so I don't see that happening."

WHAT? They're going to try to make an American Dr Who?????????

Alan
June 2nd, 2010, 03:44 AM
From that article

WHAT? They're going to try to make an American Dr Who?????????

Read the article again. She said there's no danger of a US version of Doctor Who EVER being made. It is NOT going to happen.

Lairston
June 2nd, 2010, 07:22 AM
That's what I get for posting late at night when I should have gone to bed. Thanks for pointing out my misread! :)

Alan
June 2nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
That's what I get for posting late at night when I should have gone to bed. Thanks for pointing out my misread! :)

No problem. :) I imagine you didn't sleep very well thinking a US version of Doctor Who was being made. Hopefully your morning is a little better now we've cleared that up. :)

Lairston
June 3rd, 2010, 10:02 AM
LOL I did have trouble getting to sleep. Not until like 2:30 or so. ;)

EvilSpaceAlien
June 3rd, 2010, 11:26 AM
IF the BBC has to get a Torchwood series made by an American company then I say it should go to HBO. HBO co-produced the shows Band of Brothers and Rome with the BBC and made great jobs with them too. I feel that if BBC feel its absolutely necessary for an American company to become involved with producing Torchwood then I hope, with all my heart, that its HBO. The BBC and HBO have worked together very well before and I reckon they could do so again with Torchwood.

If FOX had managed to get their hands on it then they'd be filming it in LA or something. HBO seems more outgoing. HBO/BBC filmed Band of Brothers in many, many countries outside of the US ranging from the UK to Switzerland. HBO/BBC filmed Rome in Italy. If their willing to go that far to produce those shows then I reckon they could keep Torchwood filming in Cardiff.

That I get behind. HBO has a record of producing amazing television shows like The Wire and Generation Kill. If they're gonna have American writers on the show they should really get David Simon and Ed Burns. Best. Tv. Writers. EVER.

Alan
June 3rd, 2010, 12:07 PM
LOL I did have trouble getting to sleep. Not until like 2:30 or so. ;)

LOL

That I get behind. HBO has a record of producing amazing television shows like The Wire and Generation Kill. If they're gonna have American writers on the show they should really get David Simon and Ed Burns. Best. Tv. Writers. EVER.

I'm not aware of David Simon and Ed Burns' work. What have they worked on before? At least Russell T. Davis is working on the US version so that's one good thing that's coming out of this.
Another thing about US-produced Torchwood...if this thing has to go ahead then I'd rather it be continuing the story from where the original UK version left off. If RTD is writing this then I hope he has it in mind to keep it going from where we last saw Jack and Gwen but I imagine that depends on lots of things. The US Execs might insist on it being a totally fresh start with no connections to Doctor Who. I definitely don't want a fresh start.
Also, assuming this US version uses the characters, I don't want to see Jack and Gwen re-cast with American actors. It's John Barrowman and Eve Myles or nobody.

Alan
June 7th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Torchwood to return for fourth series in US co-production deal
Published Monday 7 June 2010 at 18:53 by Alistair Smith

Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood is to return for a fourth series, thanks to a co-production deal between BBC Cymru Wales, BBC Worldwide and US network Starz Entertainment.

The ten episode series will be written by a team led by Torchwood creator Russell T Davies and produced by BBC Worldwide Productions. Davies and BBC Worldwide Productions’ senior vice president for scripted programmes Julie Gardner return as executive producers with BBC Worldwide Productions executive vice president Jane Tranter.

The series has been commissioned by BBC One controller Jay Hunt, BBC Drama controller Ben Stephenson, and Starz president and chief executive Chris Albrecht.

While previous series were based on location in Cardiff, the new series will include locations in the US and around the world. John Barrowman and Eve Myles will return in their roles as Captain Jack and Gwen respectively, along with new characters.

Stephenson said: “We have a long history of working with many US networks but it is incredibly exciting to be working with Starz for the first time, as well as to be reunited with the best of British in Russell, Jane and Julie. Torchwood will burst back onto the screen with a shocking and moving story with global stakes and locations that will make it feel bigger and bolder than ever”

Original link here: http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstory.php/28502/torchwood-to-return-for-fourth-series-in-us

xgirl30
June 25th, 2010, 10:31 AM
another yank that agrees

boobs, butts, bombs, oh yeah and we'll toss in some cliched stories and pretty actors (making sure we're policically correct in gender and racial make up) and make this bland little thing

and if there's another show that's more avant garde and getting notice, well let's discredit and kill it, cause you know, we can't have people thinking that scifi is supposed to be full of rich characters and vibrant stories and plots that aren't all 'white hat vs black hat'

Amen to this.
I'm an American and I do not like how the major networks ruin good shows. (Or what they consider good shows to begin with. Anything that's edgy or different doesn't seem to last long.)
I shudder to think of all the things in Torchwood that would not have been allowed or that would have been watered down. I hope that doesn't happen with season four on Starz.

Alan
July 4th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Torchwood star can’t wait to start new series

Jul 4 2010 by Rachel Mainwaring, Wales On Sunday

TORCHWOOD star Eve Myles has revealed how she is nervously preparing to move her family across the Atlantic.

The 31-year-old will be starring in the American version of the hit sci-fi show and will be jetting off at the end of the year with partner Brad and baby daughter Matilda.

And she’s even got her beloved dog Honeysuckle a passport – so she can go too.

Eve, who gave birth to Matilda last November, is looking forward to the big move, after it was announced that Torchwood would be moving Stateside for a new series to be aired in 2011.

The Ystradgynlais actress, who now lives in Cardiff, said: “I’ve been enjoying some really lovely times with Matilda.

“She’s seven months old and is just adorable. She is sleeping right through the night and she is just fantastic. She is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Since she came along I’ve woken up every day with a smile on my face. She is just so lovely and pleasant, she is always laughing and I’ve been relishing every minute.

“Nothing I’ve ever done before comes close to how it feels to have Matilda. She is so beautiful, a carbon copy of her daddy with the same turquoise eyes. But I’m pleased to say it looks as if she’s got my famous gap, so that’s good news.”

And now Eve is preparing for an even busier few months.

She said: “Things are starting to pick up again work-wise. I’m about to sign for a BBC Wales TV remake of The Fabulous Baker Boys and I’ve got another film in Bulgaria and then we start shooting the new Torchwood in January.

“Matilda and Brad are coming with me but I couldn’t possibly not take Honey too as we are going to be there for seven-and-a-half months.

“So it’s all sorted. She’s got a new passport and we are raring to go.”

But Eve, who plays feisty Gwen Cooper in the show, admits she’s very nervous about upping sticks, even though she will be starring alongside her good friend John Barrowman.

She said: “To be honest, I am quite nervous and apprehensive but then I still get nervous every time I start a new job and then as soon as I’ve filmed the first day I calm down a bit.

“We’re not sure yet whether we are going to be living in Los Angeles or Canada but Torchwood is already very popular in America and I had no idea exactly how big it was until I was in Washington DC and I saw myself on the back of a bus. Weird. It’s got an absolutely massive fan base, it’s been the number one sci-fi show for the past three years out there.

“I haven’t managed to see John much but we get on so well that as soon as we start working it will be like we’ve been together for weeks.”

Eve has been with fellow actor Bradley Freegard for several years and, despite wearing an eternity ring on her wedding finger, she said she had not married Brad yet – but promises she will do one day in the future.

She said: “I was pictured with the ring on my wedding finger but it’s not a wedding ring. It’s the eternity ring Brad bought for my 30th birthday.

“I will marry him one day. It’s something we’ve talked about but, at the moment, we’re too busy. Maybe we’ll wait until there are a few Myles-Freegards running around the place.”

Link to original article: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbiz-and-lifestyle/showbiz/2010/07/04/torchwood-star-can-t-wait-to-start-new-series-91466-26780199/

EvilSpaceAlien
July 4th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Torchwood star can’t wait to start new series

[snip]

Link:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbiz-and-lifestyle/showbiz/2010/07/04/torchwood-star-can-t-wait-to-start-new-series-91466-26780199/

Khentkawes
July 9th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Ran across the article above a while back and it was interesting information and all, but something made me scratch my head a bit. In particular, this part:

“We’re not sure yet whether we are going to be living in Los Angeles or Canada but Torchwood is already very popular in America and I had no idea exactly how big it was until I was in Washington DC and I saw myself on the back of a bus. Weird. It’s got an absolutely massive fan base, it’s been the number one sci-fi show for the past three years out there."

Does anyone know exactly what Eve Myles is referring to here? Does she mean the number one sci-fi show on BBC America? I don't know BCCA's rating figures, but I would have expected Doctor Who to beat out Torchwood, though I could be wrong. Either way, it sounds like she was saying Torchwood was the number one sci-fi show in the country. Which is absurd, to be honest. I'm curious what kind of measuring stick she might be basing these claims on, because as much as I like Torchwood, it seems to me that the cast and crew keep making exaggerated claims (like this one) about it's popularity in the US, when as far as I can tell, most people here don't even know what it is. :confused:

SaberBlade
July 10th, 2010, 03:36 AM
She's probably talking about BBC America ratings. Torchwood has been on the channel longer than Dr. Who so it could open the door to better ratings, plus Dr. Who was edited when it first aired on BBC America (not sure what they edited) so chances are it was downloaded more because of it's "uncut" airing in the UK.

Khentkawes
July 10th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Ah, that would make a little more sense. I'd forgotten that Doctor Who wasn't always on BBC America, but that would certainly explain it. Thanks for the info. :)

Ashizuri
July 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM
This casting call went up on ONTD and similar sites this morning, but has since been removed from many.

Considering many of the names used (Matheson/Rex) are names of other characters played by former whoniverse actors and the unbelievable character description for one, many people are hoping this is a hoax. Unrepentant paedophiles? The Tosh/Owen 2.0 characters and relationship?

I was pretty sure I wouldn't be tuning in to the new season anyway, but if this casting sheet is genuine my pretty sure becomes definant.

TORCHWOOD

Executive Producers: Julie Gardner, Russell T Davies
Writer: Russell T Davies
Director: TBD
Casting Directors: John Frank Levey, Melanie Burgess
Work Dates: starting approx Jan 12, 2011 for 10 eps

SUBMIT ELECTRONICALLY

[REX MATHESON] CAUCASIAN, Late 20s, CIA agent, a fast-tracked high-flyer. And he knows it! Rex is fast, sharp, smart, clever, and when the situation demands it, ruthless. He's got a lethal sense of humor - he doesn't care if he makes enemies, he's too busy enjoying himself. But when Rex's life is put in danger, he feels his own mortality for the first time, and has to balance the demands of the job, and his duty to his country, against his desperate desire to survive. Though that doesn't defeat him - if anything, it makes him even more arrogant and unstoppable than ever. For Rex, all rules are off! Like him or loathe him, you can't miss him - and that's exactly how Rex wants things to beÂ…..SERIES REGULAR

[ESTHER KATUSI] She's early 20s, a Watch Analyst at the CIA - it's one of the less glamorous jobs, filtering information to pass along the chain. But Esther's determined to better herself! She's still young, so the job hasn't made her cynical yet - she's still an optimist, ever hopeful, and her faith in mankind is sustained by her own Christianity. She's hopelessly in love with one of the CIA agents, Rex Matheson, though she'd never tell him. Nevertheless, she's no pushover - she's more than capable of thinking for herself, and can break the rules when she needs to. And when Esther's forced off the grid, and on the run, she learns to survive, fast. She turns out to be a natural, learning to fight and run with the best of them, without ever losing her essential good-hearted nature. Please submit actors of all races and ethnicities EXCEPT Caucasian. Recurring Guest Star. Will appear in many, or possibly all 10 episodes.

[OSWALD JONES] CAUCASIAN, Late 40s, a convicted murderer and pedophile. But he's no thug - this man is dangerously clever. Oswald escapes his sentence on a technicality, and finds himself becoming a media celebrity. And he's sharp enough to make the most of the situation, and profit from it. He's always thinking, always aware, always looking for the chance to promote himself - while living with the fact that many people want him dead. He appears to be wonderfully, genuinely repentant - but underneath, he's still boiling with lust and rage. And one day, he's going to lose control again. But this man is destined to become more important than even he could have foreseen, as terrifying events of worldwide significance begin to turn around him... Recurring Guest Star. Will appear in many, or possibly all 10 episodes.

Alan
July 13th, 2010, 12:36 PM
This casting call went up on ONTD and similar sites this morning, but has since been removed from many.

Considering many of the names used (Matheson/Rex) are names of other characters played by former whoniverse actors and the unbelievable character description for one, many people are hoping this is a hoax. Unrepentant paedophiles? The Tosh/Owen 2.0 characters and relationship?

I was pretty sure I wouldn't be tuning in to the new season anyway, but if this casting sheet is genuine my pretty sure becomes definant.

I think this has been discredited as being a hoax. I wouldn't put too much faith in any of that.