PDA

View Full Version : Outcasts (BBC) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Madwelshboy
January 18th, 2010, 03:25 AM
BBC commissions new SF drama Outcasts

Spooks writer Ben Richards has been commissioned to write Outcasts, an eight part science fiction drama for the BBC.

Set in 2040, the series begins on the day the last known transporter from Earth arrives at a recently-discovered planet, bringing a new would-be leader to the life-sustaining world. The colony already there are concerned that the problems and mistakes that destroyed Earth may be repeated on their new home.

Kudos' Creative Director Jane Featherstone said: "With his usual wit and insight, Ben Richards has imagined a near-future, when humans are still led by their hearts even though their surroundings have changed. Action packed and full of surprises, we hope Outcasts will have everyone gripped right from the start."

Directed by Life on Mars' Bharat Nalluri, Outcasts will be filmed in South Africa, beginning in April. No cast has yet been confirmed for the series.

BayGateScape
January 18th, 2010, 11:43 AM
why only 8 parts? I don't get it; most of the british show series are only between 2-10 max episodes per series. I hate it.

Besides that story sounds good; looking forward to seeing it.

SaberBlade
January 18th, 2010, 11:54 AM
It's a BBC show, so their funding doesn't really allow them to into length drama series and the more expensive it is, the less episodes it will get.

KEK
January 18th, 2010, 07:59 PM
How many 20+ episode a season shows actually tell a coherent story though? You end up with a vague direction and a load of filler. I much prefer quality over quantity. On topic though, sounds decent, but 2040 and we're colonizing a new planet? That sounds ridiculous to me, I hope it's a mistake.

Madwelshboy
May 13th, 2010, 02:35 AM
BBC unveils "epic" new sci-fi series

The BBC has commissioned a new eight-part sci-fi series from Ashes To Ashes producer Kudos.

Outcasts follows a diverse group of people who are living in a small town on a fictional planet that has been colonised by humans. These pioneers are helping build a new community far away from their loved ones and are optimistic about their future, but the planet holds many mysteries which threaten to destroy the fragile peace.

The cast includes Hermione Norris (Spooks), Danny Mays (Ashes To Ashes), Eric Mabius (Ugly Betty), Jamie Bamber (Battlestar Galactica) and Ashley Walters (Small Island).

The series is currently being filmed in South Africa for transmission in the Autumn on BBC One.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/news/a219588/bbc-unveils-epic-new-sci-fi-series.html

Ukko
May 13th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Sounds good to me:D

Seems a little similar to Coyote.

Missster.Freeman
May 13th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Hey, this could be worth watching. I'll need to keep my eye on this one.

knowles2
May 28th, 2010, 03:05 PM
How many 20+ episode a season shows actually tell a coherent story though? You end up with a vague direction and a load of filler. I much prefer quality over quantity. On topic though, sounds decent, but 2040 and we're colonizing a new planet? That sounds ridiculous to me, I hope it's a mistake.

Unless they incorperate that into the story of how the human race overnight gain interstellar travel an why. Which could be interest take on a Earth 2 rehash.

Lairston
May 30th, 2010, 08:38 PM
This looks interesting. Hope it comes to BBC America

magictrick
May 31st, 2010, 11:04 AM
I think I saw a commercial for this series on Space the other day, first time hearing about it.

Skydiver
May 31st, 2010, 11:36 AM
it looks good. I love my bbc america and all the programs that the BBC makes.

Madwelshboy
August 8th, 2010, 09:52 AM
TCA Press Tour: Eric Mabius ditches the fashion world for a space odyssey in 'Outcasts'

He’s dressed in a sleek suit, a crisp blue button-down shirt peering through. It’s Daniel Meade straight from London! Eh, not quite. But Eric Mabius was here … all the way from South Africa to promote his upcoming BBC America series “Outcasts” at the TCA press tour.

In the series, Mabius is ditching those oh-so-colorful ties and bed buddies from "Ugly Betty" and is heading out of this world. Literally. Well, literally in the TV sense. “Outcasts” is set in 2040 on the planet of Carpathia -- stop right there. Vampires in space this is not, no matter how much joy that would have brought Mabius. Instead, a group of pioneers leaves uninhabitable Earth and starts a new life, trying to survive as a species in the face of new conditions and obstacles.

continues:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/08/tca-press-tour-eric-mabius-ditches-the-fashion-world-for-a-space-odyssey-in-outcasts.html

knowles2
August 8th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Sounding more interesting all the time.

I wondering what destroy the earth an how much information we will get about that during the season.

Also I hope they are mistaken about being the last transport to leave earth.
I still think they set the time frame of the mission wrongly it should of been set much further into the future, I hope the writers explain in the series.

Madwelshboy
August 11th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Outcasts preview images arrive

Catch a first glimpse of the BBC’s upcoming science fiction show Outcasts, with these first pictures…

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/560469/outcasts_preview_images_arrive.html

Madwelshboy
January 1st, 2011, 08:03 AM
BBC One 2011 preview trailer features first clips from new SF show Outcasts

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/01/01/bbc-1-2011-trailer-features-outcasts-and-doctor-who-clippage/

BayGateScape
January 1st, 2011, 05:33 PM
BBC One 2011 preview trailer features first clips from new SF show Outcasts

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/01/01/bbc-1-2011-trailer-features-outcasts-and-doctor-who-clippage/

what song they used in that trailer?

BayGateScape
January 5th, 2011, 08:39 PM
what song they used in that trailer?

nvm, just found out.

Song in 2nd part is by Martin Solveig & Dragonette - Hello
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK42LZqO0wA

Blencathra
February 2nd, 2011, 01:51 PM
Outcasts starts this Monday (7th February) at 9 p.m. on BBC1 & BBC HD.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x8fw4

knowles2
February 2nd, 2011, 04:29 PM
I am looking forward to this, it looks good. An the team behind it got excellent pedigree.

KEK
February 7th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Starts tonight 9pm on beeb 1.

I'm a bit nervous about this, it's good that they're doing some serious sci-fi for a change, but some of the footage I've seen looks a bit corny, which could ruin it...

knowles2
February 7th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Well we will fine out in about 6 minutes.

I got the feeling this show will take a little bit of time to get going.

I suspect there is a lot of setting up to be done for the series.

Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble
February 7th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Looks good so far, very interesting.

Blencathra
February 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I enjoyed that very much. I'm certainly going to be tuning in tomorrow to see the next episode. I'm intrigued to know who or what Mitchell let loose and what these curious white-outs are.

knowles2
February 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM
An interesting episode an a fantastic new show, it clear that Carpathia have got a lot of hidden secretes beneath its surface.
Some of the characters seem interesting an I suspect got interest backgrounds, although I think the policeman are the least convincing characters on the show. So far anyway.

Thought the kid acted well though out. Hopefully they will keep him around, I think it always interest to see events from a child point of views.
I was impress with the CGI in the show, an some of the scenery shots look good, even if they could with a bit of aliening up, it look like the BBC actually spent some money for a change. The scale of the show so far is impressive, we will see if they can maintain this level of production through out the series. It felt like it was produce by HBO or even SGU an with there budgets.

There certainly enough scifi elements so far to keep me happy, in fact more than enough, aliens, strange whiteouts, mysterious deaths, space ships, story of survival, abuse of technology, a alien planet to explore, alien virus (or something more), .

Anyone else not convince that it was a virus which wiped out most of the kids in the first landings an something else did. They certainly look like they are hiding some very dark secrets.

Look like we got some local inhabitants to, only saw a glimpse of them through, but they do seem primitive at the moment anyway, but as us stargate fans know just because they look primitive, does not mean they are.

I hope we will explore more of the colony during the season, it looks pretty impressive for ten years worth of work.

Shame about the other ship not making it down safetly, kinda disappointed the captain seem to have died, he seem to have a interesting story to tell, wonder if we will get some flash backs of earth an the ship journey to the planet.

That character at the end in the escape pod, just look evil an the others sound scared of him to.

So the second episode is tomorrow. Looks like it a lot more action pack an shows a bit more of the planet an introduces the rest of the show characters.

An I am looking forward to it.

An may be it just me but anyone else not convince the bloke at the end that was shot dead is not going to stay dead for long, it seem like he to good of a character to kill in the first episode, I reckon we will be seeing him again.

Blencathra
February 7th, 2011, 02:34 PM
It's certainly possible to tell this is a KUDOS production - deep, dark secrets, killing off a major character in the first episode (totally did not expect that BTW), possibly false trails and red herrings.

I agree Knowles, I think there is more to this child killing disease as well.

12OzMouse
February 7th, 2011, 02:45 PM
This is going to be a winner. This is the first time that I have purposely not read any advance articles, viewed any trailers, or participated in any talk of the series before it was broadcast tonight. To be honest, it's more trouble than it's worth, I think I would have enjoyed the opening episode either way. It has real promise, looking forward to tomorrow already!

Blencathra
February 7th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Are we taking bets on how long Mitchell stays dead. :P

Ukko
February 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM
It's certainly possible to tell this is a KUDOS production - deep, dark secrets, killing off a major character in the first episode (totally did not expect that BTW), possibly false trails and red herrings.

I agree Knowles, I think there is more to this child killing disease as well.

I think the disease didnt actualy kill the children, and that the people Mitchell let loose were the infected kids and now they're all grown up and angry:D

dosed150
February 7th, 2011, 03:33 PM
An interesting episode an a fantastic new show, it clear that Carpathia have got a lot of hidden secretes beneath its surface.
Some of the characters seem interesting an I suspect got interest backgrounds, although I think the policeman are the least convincing characters on the show. So far anyway.

Thought the kid acted well though out. Hopefully they will keep him around, I think it always interest to see events from a child point of views.
I was impress with the CGI in the show, an some of the scenery shots look good, even if they could with a bit of aliening up, it look like the BBC actually spent some money for a change. The scale of the show so far is impressive, we will see if they can maintain this level of production through out the series. It felt like it was produce by HBO or even SGU an with there budgets.

There certainly enough scifi elements so far to keep me happy, in fact more than enough, aliens, strange whiteouts, mysterious deaths, space ships, story of survival, abuse of technology, a alien planet to explore, alien virus (or something more), .

Anyone else not convince that it was a virus which wiped out most of the kids in the first landings an something else did. They certainly look like they are hiding some very dark secrets.

Look like we got some local inhabitants to, only saw a glimpse of them through, but they do seem primitive at the moment anyway, but as us stargate fans know just because they look primitive, does not mean they are.

I hope we will explore more of the colony during the season, it looks pretty impressive for ten years worth of work.

Shame about the other ship not making it down safetly, kinda disappointed the captain seem to have died, he seem to have a interesting story to tell, wonder if we will get some flash backs of earth an the ship journey to the planet.

That character at the end in the escape pod, just look evil an the others sound scared of him to.

So the second episode is tomorrow. Looks like it a lot more action pack an shows a bit more of the planet an introduces the rest of the show characters.

An I am looking forward to it.

An may be it just me but anyone else not convince the bloke at the end that was shot dead is not going to stay dead for long, it seem like he to good of a character to kill in the first episode, I reckon we will be seeing him again.

those mystery people, surely their the ones the creepy president ordered mitchell to execute, does seem unlikely hes dead, jamie bamber is the most well known cast member, but would be nice to have a show thats willing to kill anyone off

the president hiding a lot, can tell there are some dark mysteries, would like to know about the war, between at least america and china, everyone on the planet seems to be western, does that imply our side lost and we fled?

its a bit like lost, the mystery the different factions, but a lot more grim

actually possibly the best first episode ive ever seen

knowles2
February 7th, 2011, 03:50 PM
those mystery people, surely their the ones the creepy president ordered mitchell to execute, does seem unlikely hes dead, jamie bamber is the most well known cast member, but would be nice to have a show thats willing to kill anyone off

the president hiding a lot, can tell there are some dark mysteries, would like to know about the war, between at least america and china, everyone on the planet seems to be western, does that imply our side lost and we fled?

I also want to know about what happen earth. I suspect the reality is that neither side won the war.

May be it me but it seem most of the people we have seen so far on Carpathia are European, perhaps why the China an America built up there Military for the war, the Europeans, seeing as there is no way out of MAD, diverted there resources to fleeing the planet aka the space programme to try an keep the species alive.
Taking it from this angle it be a interesting turn of events if it is found out later in the series that both China an America have transport vessels on the way to Carpathia an both are intent on continuing there conflict when they arrive or at least large part of there crews an do not care who or what gets in there way.

I agree those creepy are most likely the one the president ordered to be killed. An may be when he spoke about quarentein he meant excluding them from the colony.

dosed150
February 7th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I also want to know about what happen earth. I suspect the reality is that neither side won the war.

May be it me but it seem most of the people we have seen so far on Carpathia are European, perhaps why the China an America built up there Military for the war, the Europeans, seeing as there is no way out of MAD, diverted there resources to fleeing the planet aka the space programme to try an keep the species alive.
Taking it from this angle it be a interesting turn of events if it is found out later in the series that both China an America have transport vessels on the way to Carpathia an both are intent on continuing there conflict when they arrive or at least large part of there crews an do not care who or what gets in there way.

I agree those creepy are most likely the one the president ordered to be killed. An may be when he spoke about quarentein he meant excluding them from the colony.

i suppose i was seeing the world as it is now and assuming it would be a conflict between nato and china, but nato breaking up isnt exactly hard to imagine, a bolivan inhabitant was mentioned, so maybe it was some sort of wider non aligned movement

Sealurk
February 7th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Starts tonight 9pm on beeb 1.

Damn it, I had no idea it was on this soon. Have to hope it's on iPlayer for me to catch up before the next episode.

Admiral Mappalazarou
February 8th, 2011, 01:03 AM
I rather liked it. Well done Spooks guy. Disappointed that Bamber's out so early on though. As a huge BSG fan I was hoping he'd last longer, though in fairness he's probably more committed to Law & Order. I'll tune in next week for sure, or more accurately catch up on the iPlayer.

Blencathra
February 8th, 2011, 02:00 AM
The next part is on tonight, not next week. :)

KEK
February 8th, 2011, 03:47 AM

I wouldn't read too much into that, Robert Patrick was killed off in the first episode of SGA.

knowles2
February 8th, 2011, 12:28 PM
i suppose i was seeing the world as it is now and assuming it would be a conflict between nato and china, but nato breaking up isnt exactly hard to imagine, a bolivan inhabitant was mentioned, so maybe it was some sort of wider non aligned movement

Remember Nato alliance, an the deployment of one forces to defend the others is purely optional, anyone that tells others wise, ask them what Nato was doing in the falklands conflict.

Nato moto of a attack on one is an attack on all is pure rubbish.

shipper hannah
February 8th, 2011, 01:26 PM
why only 8 parts? I don't get it; most of the british show series are only between 2-10 max episodes per series. I hate it.

Besides that story sounds good; looking forward to seeing it.

Actually, I think it's a good thing. Short and sweet is the way we do it.

British shows seem to get so much more story and character development into a short series than a US one, anyway.

Ukko
February 8th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I think the disease didnt actualy kill the children, and that the people Mitchell let loose were the infected kids and now they're all grown up and angry:D

Well, i was wrong:p But now i want to know more about this disease.

Blencathra
February 8th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Another episode I enjoyed thoroughly. I'd like to know what hold Julius Berger has over Stella and Richard, more about the ACs (or whatever they are called). Also why did the kiddies picture on Richard's desk slowly turn round - is it significant or just coincidence.

I've decided I'm in love with Tipper. :P Totally shipping him with Stella and also shipping Cass/Fleur.

Ukko
February 8th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Another episode I enjoyed thoroughly. I'd like to know what hold Julius Berger has over Stella and Richard, more about the ACs (or whatever they are called). Also why did the kiddies picture on Richard's desk slowly turn round - is it significant or just coincidence.

I've decided I'm in love with Tipper. :P Totally shipping him with Stella and also shipping Cass/Fleur.

Thank the Gods for that, i thought i was seeing things. At least now i know it moved. That or we're both crazy:D
Wonder whats effecting the birth rate.

DigiFluid
February 8th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Just finished Part 1, surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Really, really good. Two complaints though, 1) how did the kid not wake up to the sound of a gunshot? and 2) the kid was a horrible actor.

Other than that, pretty excited to see more of it!

Blencathra
February 8th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Thank the Gods for that, i thought i was seeing things. At least now i know it moved. That or we're both crazy:D
Wonder whats effecting the birth rate.

Could be :D

Just finished Part 1, surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Really, really good. Two complaints though, 1) how did the kid not wake up to the sound of a gunshot? and 2) the kid was a horrible actor.

Other than that, pretty excited to see more of it!

I agree about the kid not being particularly good. Hopefully he won't be in it much as I don't like children in my sci fi too much (Wesley bloody Crusher will haunt me forever). But as for him sleeping through the gunshot - small, tired children will sleep through ANYTHING. :P

P-90_177
February 8th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Just finished Part 1, surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Really, really good. Two complaints though, 1) how did the kid not wake up to the sound of a gunshot? and 2) the kid was a horrible actor.Other than that, pretty excited to see more of it!

Erm....He was a kid.....they don't have much in the way of experience or formal training.........

knowles2
February 8th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Watch tonight episode.
Bit faster pace this time around. We got more incite into the past characters an some of the decisions they have been force to make.

The new bloke from earth is one nasty bloke, an that girl gonna take him down a notch or two eventually. An he never meant to have a place on that vessel, let alone a seat on the emergency life boats, I wonder how many people he murdered just to get Carpathia an how many more he willing to kill to gain power.

I think it confirmed that is was a virus that attack the colonist. But hinted that it was created by somebody.
We got introduce to the clones, an our team fell right into the leader trapped, now he can pin the death of one his clones own on the far haven colonists an strengthen his hold over the clones.

Interesting that they decided to introduce a other story thread into the mixed, falling birth rates an the clones gaining the ability to give birth to children.

I thought the ending was harsh on the security chief all that worrying about her daughter an wantting to be united with her to have it all thrown back into her face in the last minute. The daughter got a double personality or what.

An the picture moving in the president was strange, it look almost telekinesis like an like someone sending him a message, a message he been ignoring perhaps for to long.

Also read on a other site that Carpathia rescue the titanic survivors but was itself sunk by a U-boat during the first world war, may be a little metaphor to how the series is going to play out.

I am eager to see next week, but the show is building on solid foundations.

DigiFluid
February 8th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Erm....He was a kid.....they don't have much in the way of experience or formal training.........
And? Cast kids who can act, or don't cast kids at all.

Blencathra
February 8th, 2011, 06:39 PM
TV Overnights: BBC One's new Outcasts debuts with 4.5m viewers

http://mediatel.co.uk/newsline/2011/02/08/tv-overnights-bbc-ones-new-outcasts-debuts-with-4-5m-viewers/

BBC One's new eight-part series Outcasts claimed the all-important peak-hour ratings with a high of more than 4.8 million viewers last night.

The sci-fi drama starring Liam Cunningham and Hermione Norris attracted a consistent 4.4 million average viewers and a 17.9% share for BBC One during the 9pm to 10pm slot

DigiFluid
February 8th, 2011, 07:29 PM
A couple more strange things in episode 2 than were in the first one. Like the city authorities using Jack to lead the search party. I kind of got the impression in episode 1 that Jack was more of an underworld boss than working in any official capacity.

And then there was the crash site itself.... The desert certainly made for picturesque shooting and it was very pretty to see the pod half-buried in the sand. But uh...we see out the front gates of Forthaven near the beginning of the episode that there's a lot greenery in very close proximity to the city. But....the crash pod half-buried in desert is within walking distance?

Complaints aside, I enjoyed this one about as much as I did the first one. So that's good :D Is episode 3 airing tomorrow or sometime later?

Julius is quite the snake, isn't he? Not even just the seat-stealing business either, the fact that he just happened to have a 'religious experience' on the transport ship and shows up on the colony ready to lead people in prayer? Very convenient, that! And then later to immediately segue from the implication of him abusing/molesting the girl to him watching over kids playing in the sand :S

Liking the developments regarding Carpathia. The genetically engineered ACs surviving on their own and Jack's surprise at their being capable of breeding, the continued mystery over what the child mortality virus was caused by, the hint that there's more to the planet than either side truly understands....cool stuff :D

And just what was with Tate's kids' drawing spinning on his desk? Bad air conditioning system or what? :lol:

dosed150
February 8th, 2011, 11:19 PM
A couple more strange things in episode 2 than were in the first one. Like the city authorities using Jack to lead the search party. I kind of got the impression in episode 1 that Jack was more of an underworld boss than working in any official capacity.

And then there was the crash site itself.... The desert certainly made for picturesque shooting and it was very pretty to see the pod half-buried in the sand. But uh...we see out the front gates of Forthaven near the beginning of the episode that there's a lot greenery in very close proximity to the city. But....the crash pod half-buried in desert is within walking distance?

Complaints aside, I enjoyed this one about as much as I did the first one. So that's good :D Is episode 3 airing tomorrow or sometime later?

Julius is quite the snake, isn't he? Not even just the seat-stealing business either, the fact that he just happened to have a 'religious experience' on the transport ship and shows up on the colony ready to lead people in prayer? Very convenient, that! And then later to immediately segue from the implication of him abusing/molesting the girl to him watching over kids playing in the sand :S

Liking the developments regarding Carpathia. The genetically engineered ACs surviving on their own and Jack's surprise at their being capable of breeding, the continued mystery over what the child mortality virus was caused by, the hint that there's more to the planet than either side truly understands....cool stuff :D

And just what was with Tate's kids' drawing spinning on his desk? Bad air conditioning system or what? :lol:

every time i juluis i was thinking obvious cult leader, then he started talking about childrens minds, and i was like yeh cult

tate really is a peace of work, ordering the ac's put to death because of a virus, how does that even make sense except to a man driven mad by grief, i think his kids death pushed him into full on evil dictator in waiting

knowles2
February 8th, 2011, 11:42 PM
He may be part of the underworld, but he is charge of the only people that we know that goes outside of the wall regularly to explore the planet.

And then there was the crash site itself.... The desert certainly made for picturesque shooting and it was very pretty to see the pod half-buried in the sand. But uh...we see out the front gates of Forthaven near the beginning of the episode that there's a lot greenery in very close proximity to the city. But....the crash pod half-buried in desert is within walking distance? I think on of the long distance shots of Far Haven does show a desert near by.

Complaints aside, I enjoyed this one about as much as I did the first one. So that's good :D Is episode 3 airing tomorrow or sometime later? Every Monday an Tuesday there will be a new episode.

Julius is quite the snake, isn't he? Not even just the seat-stealing business either, the fact that he just happened to have a 'religious experience' on the transport ship and shows up on the colony ready to lead people in prayer? Very convenient, that! And then later to immediately segue from the implication of him abusing/molesting the girl to him watching over kids playing in the sand :S He certainly a snake, an I suspect there already a few people in line to kill him, I am one of them. An I got the feeling he evil enough to have monlested Lilly to, or did something to her on the ship.

Liking the developments regarding Carpathia. The genetically engineered ACs surviving on their own and Jack's surprise at their being capable of breeding, the continued mystery over what the child mortality virus was caused by, the hint that there's more to the planet than either side truly understands....cool stuff :D This is extremely cool stuff, an the president certainly does have a lot of secrets in the closet.

This certainly the biggest mystery of last night episode.

Just a little spoiler one of the actors have said that we will not be top dog on this planet by the time the series ends.

Stormtrooper
February 9th, 2011, 02:43 AM
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/7513/outcasts01.jpg
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/909/outcasts02.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1638/outcasts03.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1255/outcasts04.jpg
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5712/outcasts05.jpg
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2161/outcasts06.jpg
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3567/outcasts07.jpg
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4048/outcasts08.jpg
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/2563/outcasts09.jpg
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9953/outcasts10.jpg
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/4056/outcasts11.jpg
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5474/outcasts12.jpg
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/9092/outcasts13.jpg
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5783/outcasts14.jpg

^ I thought she did a great job. Who's the actress?

knowles2
February 9th, 2011, 05:41 AM
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/7513/outcasts01.jpg
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/909/outcasts02.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1638/outcasts03.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1255/outcasts04.jpg
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5712/outcasts05.jpg
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2161/outcasts06.jpg
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3567/outcasts07.jpg
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4048/outcasts08.jpg
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/2563/outcasts09.jpg
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9953/outcasts10.jpg
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/4056/outcasts11.jpg
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5474/outcasts12.jpg
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/9092/outcasts13.jpg
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5783/outcasts14.jpg

^ I thought she did a great job. Who's the actress?

I see someone got a litte crush. Amy Mason I believe. An no I have not got her number.

Blencathra
February 9th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Amy MANSON. :)

She also played vampire Daisy in Being Human last year.

There's an interview with her here http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2011/01_january/21/outcasts6.shtml

Rodney_Mckay
February 9th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Lost a million viewers or so between nights, I believe. :(

BayGateScape
February 9th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I had high hopes from this show, these first two episodes had some lousy writing.

I'm getting feeling of old show Earth 2.

Admiral Mappalazarou
February 9th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Young irish guy is the best actor, but everyone else's acting is rather stale. Also Amy Manson is hawwt.

P-90_177
February 9th, 2011, 06:09 PM

Jack isn't any sort of Underworld Boss. He is an Expedition member. In the same way it's explained that Mitchell was an ExP who went out and made all the first major discoveries, Jack was a member of the same group along with the rest of his gang. That's why they're so tight with Mitchell and why they come across as such Rebels since they're so used to operating by themselves Outside Fort Haven. Not having to operate by any rules. True Freedom as Mitchell liked to consider it.

knowles2
February 10th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Jack isn't any sort of Underworld Boss. He is an Expedition member. In the same way it's explained that Mitchell was an ExP who went out and made all the first major discoveries, Jack was a member of the same group along with the rest of his gang. That's why they're so tight with Mitchell and why they come across as such Rebels since they're so used to operating by themselves Outside Fort Haven. Not having to operate by any rules. True Freedom as Mitchell liked to consider it.

Why I agree he is not a underworld Boss, there does seem to be some sought of secret movement which he has taken charge of, since Mitchell death or probably was semi in charge before it, in all but name, he the one that basically told Mitchell the others members were not going to follow him to the lake where they were suppose to set up there new village because he an the others did not think they were ready.

But this is essentially a other element of the story which has to be played out sometime the future, who are the other people an how high up does it go, an are just other explorers or are the ordinary everyday members of the colony.
One of the characters mention they would have the support of the people to arrest all the of the explorers an forcible remove there weapons from an take Mitchell in custody. Unless they overestimated there support, there cannot be that many that support the move to expand out of far Haven.

Also these people, travel light years away from earth, on what must of been very experimental vessels, an yet they seem affaid of explore there new world, which seem kind of weird.
It seem they did not even know about the bipedal creators.

Ian-S
February 11th, 2011, 07:51 PM
regarding the spinning picture, did it look like the two kids were being smudged out?

generaloneill
February 13th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Good show although i think it sucks that they killed Jamie Bamber's character in the first episode, his character was the most interesting and had the potential to be a great recurring character.

Anyone got some decent pics of Mitchell Hoban i can't find any, and what is the name of the guy playing the irish character, i know i've seen him somewhere before i just can't remember where.

Edit to be clear i don't mean Liam Cunningham, i mean the irish teenager.

knowles2
February 13th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I think I found out the person who you are look for,

Irish charmer Tipper Malone (Michael Legge) is a rebel who speaks out .

According to google.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00dw7bk
A character profile on the BBC if you can access it.

generaloneill
February 13th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I think I found out the person who you are look for,

Irish charmer Tipper Malone (Michael Legge) is a rebel who speaks out .

According to google.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00dw7bk
A character profile on the BBC if you can access it.

Yeah that's him i remember now where i saw him before, he played Frank McCourt as a teenager in the movie Angela's Ashes.

DigiFluid
February 14th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Episode 3
More intriguing stuff today. The storm, wow. I wonder if that's the end of it, or if the whiteouts will continue to increase in magnitude. Great VFX for it too, especially that lovely shot of it sweeping over Forthaven.

Not really enough on the ACs and their story this week for my liking, but I guess they're still building the settlement in the colony as well so they have to split things up. Still I thought it was really neat to see Rudi and Fleur out there in the wilderness. Both before, when Rudi witnessed the....electrical storm? on the lake; and after, when the two were walking together.

Still no love for Julius, and I can't figure why Tate and Stella warmed up to him so fast. Tate was very clear about keeping the talk religion-free, and what did he do as soon as he had the proverbial mic? Pray! Ugh. I'd shut him out of the political structure forever for pulling a stunt like that.

Ukko
February 15th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I missed the first half. Stupid Brit awards:mckay:

Ooh, tens of thousands of years old:D Interesting. Cant wait to see haow they explain that. Time travel?

jmoz
February 15th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I only watched the first episode. Bit too emo/angsty for me. I'll check back if things change. Enjoy.

knowles2
February 15th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Two brilliant episodes this week.

Episode 3.

My god it took them a while but the BBC has finally learnt how to do good VFX, some of shots in this ep was awsome, seeing the vessels, an the city they have built an whiteout hitting it. Apparently this is suppose to be the last one for a while. An the water jet or what it was awsomely done, an people were moaning about carpthia not being alien enough. Now I know the BBC can do good stuff, I do think we should let them to the crap stuff, like of the stuff they do in doctor who.

Like the ACs characters, especially the leader. Seem like a conflicted guy, but I think he wants to help forthaven, not fight it, despite what he says to forthavens face to face.

Episode 4.

Was interesting episode, some brutal things were done to the ACs. But I got a feeling it was being done in the name of a greater goal an not just the survival of the colony either. Same with the genetic experiments. I reckon a great deal of there research was trying to discover how closely we are related to the human remains they found, when they first arrive. That none of the current leaders no about except Julian.

The big reveal at the end, the human skull, thousands of years old, I guest the first question we got to ask is how did they get there. Time travel seems a bit to obvious an a boring, when so many other options are available. What if Earth was a garden planet, an Carpathia was also one but it failed, I am sure there are other interesting ways they go with it to.

I think some people have known about previous human remains since they arrive. Niether Tate or the blond chick seemed all that surprise.

Tate characters have grown even more interesting. Him at the end did he just tell his delusions to start playing, just as long as it not in his head, at least something along those lines may be I misheard, not entirely sure what to make of it. But I think it were those delusions which really killed the children. An to stop it, Tate bought them into his mind to stop it, one he relies it was not the ACs, then he concocted the virus story to cover his tracks, an he been keeping them contained ever since, or may be that a bit to out there for main stream scifi show.

A other interesting thing was when Tate and Stella indicated that controlling the population may be vital for there safetly, it subtitle but they seem to fear what would happen if they loss power.

An what is it with Tate hatred for religion two, I agree with him, it just unusual to see someone on TV who generally despises religion.

Thought the big guy was a pretty sad character, an I personally felt a lot of sympathy for the character. There was clearly no need to shoot him at the end either. But I like the way he knew Cass was lying before anyone else, an in way thanks him for putting him out his misery.

DigiFluid
February 16th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Oh I do so enjoy this show

Episode 4
While the rogue AC story didn't really grab me the way I'd hoped it would, I did like how it subtly took a look into social mores. I mean, that the ACs are misunderstood and vaguely feared by the people of Forthaven; but when one is wandering around in the city, nobody even knows that that's what he is. Speaks volumes of the nature of prejudice, so I appreciated how very sci-fi that was.

The AC story really picked up after the rooftop chase though. The whole red/green lights conditioning thing, and then that Tate was there watching when it happened....neat. Left me itching for more even as that conversation was still unfolding.

One thing that seems a little strange to me though is how certain are in abundance despite their crop problems. This occurred to me when Lily handed the envelope with official papers in it to Tipper. They're living in a glorified shantytown, having trouble getting more than a few crops to grow, but....they have enough trees (in a desert climate!!) and the facilities to process paper? Normally this is the sort of thing I've give a pass just for the sake of storytelling, but given how they've mad the struggle to survive an important plot point, I found it strange.

As to the little things happening to Tate, involving his dead children....gaaaaaaaah am I ever intrigued. Most satisfying and maddening part of the show so far for me. First the spinning drawing, then the non-existent mug, and now the 'ghosts' in his apartment! I'm getting a serious Even Horizon vibe from the stuff going on, and that's just awesome IMO.

I wish that Elijah's fate wasn't so....abrupt. Cass' betrayal really felt like more of a cop-out to move past his story and onward to other things.

Not that it was a bad place to move on to, mind. Julius continuing to be a snake, poor Tipper getting sidelined into taking care of Lily and...the big one: the fossil. A human jaw, tens of thousands of years old? As if I weren't already interested in this show :eek:

Best exchange of dialogue in the episode:
Julius: "Is there a reason I wasn't informed of a private security meeting?"
Tate: "Yes, it was....private."

I hope that this show gets another season.

DigiFluid
February 16th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Thought the big guy was a pretty sad character, an I personally felt a lot of sympathy for the character. There was clearly no need to shoot him at the end either. But I like the way he knew Cass was lying before anyone else, an in way thanks him for putting him out his misery.
Also a great observation, I agree completely.

Blencathra
February 16th, 2011, 09:50 AM
:( I'm really disappointed by this news.

Outcasts cast out to Sunday late slot

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/feb/16/outcasts-bbc1

BBC1 sci-fi drama Outcasts is being moved from 9pm to a Sunday late-night slot after disappointing ratings.

In what appears to be the first major scheduling change since new BBC1 controller Danny Cohen took over, after next Monday's 9pm instalment the series will move to 10.25pm from Sunday 27 February. It is unusual for schedulers to switch a programme from one slot to another so close to transmission.

Last night it drew 2.6 million viewers, against tough competition from Channel 4's Big Fat Gypsy Weddings and ITV1's The Brit Awards 2011. Big Fat Gypsy Weddings was watched by 6.5 million, while the Brits averaged 4.8 million.

Outcasts launched with 4.4 million last Monday, but the show's audience has declined for each episode since then.

The BBC drama controller, Ben Stephenson, said the move did not signal that the BBC does not want to take risks and said the show had attracted a "loyal, core audience".

"BBC1 and BBC drama support creative risk. Sometimes this means that talented people make shows that don't engage enough of the audience. I have so much respect for any writer who has the nerve and confidence to create their own original world and serve it up to an audience," Stephenson added.

"It's highly important to me to support them no matter how the project is received, whilst primarily always trying to engage the widest possible audience."

The BBC had high hopes for Outcasts, which featured an impressive cast including former Spooks actress Hermione Norris and Ugly Betty star Eric Mabius.

The eight-part series launched on 7 February with 4.4 million viewers, but then followed an unusual scheduling pattern, with the second episode airing the following night and drawing 3.3 million. The third episode this Monday attracted 2.9 million.

Looks like we won't be getting another series then. :( I've been really enjoying this series too. How disappointing. :(

DigiFluid
February 16th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Would this be an acceptable occasion in which to shoot the messenger? :p:(

So, I'm a little unclear on the upcoming schedule then. The BBC's site for the show only lists episode 5 for next Monday. Is episode 6 airing on Tuesday as they've done these past two weeks, or does the bad news mean that episode 6 is moving to Sunday nights in the following weekend?

knowles2
February 16th, 2011, 12:01 PM

So, I'm a little unclear on the upcoming schedule then. The BBC's site for the show only lists episode 5 for next Monday. Is episode 6 airing on Tuesday as they've done these past two weeks, or does the bad news mean that episode 6 is moving to Sunday nights in the following weekend?

From my free view scheduler, Next Monday is Outcast, Tuesday is changing to some law drama, with a barrister trainee relationship at it centre, booooooooooring an I swear the BBC just cancelled a similar show last year, talk about recycling material. An I do know how that can be classed as a ambitious show.

So my guest would be the 6th episode would change to a Sunday schedule, personally I would of put it on just after Top Gear my self but I am not in charge sadly.

Wonder what there expectations were, I mean I hearing lots of people who are interested an say they would watch, if Big fat Gypsy was not or of the Bafta's was not on, or if it was not sci-fi, even though some of these people are big DW fans an yet will not watch this because Scifi, I could kill some people. But I wonder what numbers the BBC wanted. I hope Ben is not scrapping this just to raise his profile an make his mark on the bbc schedules.

I really hate it when they say they going to support ambitious an yet do not announce anything to back up that statement.

An personally I think this kind of a show needs time, possible a guarenteed second season would help., there are plenty of people who are not tuning in simply because they do not think it will get a other season an we will be left with a other Defying Gravity or any number of other shows.

All those combine I think explain the low numbers.
It do not think the schedual was strange at all, an actually enjoyed having two episodes a week. An the BBC have done that occasionally over the years to other shows.

Blencathra
February 16th, 2011, 12:31 PM

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick013.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

:P

Personally I think the BBC's weird scheduling did damage the show. The first episode was a little "strange" IMO with emphasis on the kid and his Tiger, Tiger poem (thank God we haven't seen him again). Then on Tuesday it was up against Bid Fat Gypsy Wedding, which was really unfortunate. Who could have predicted that would be a hit. :S . I even wonder if some people realised it was on on that Tuesday or if people assumed it was just on once a week. It's such a shame because it's getting into it's stride now. This slot on Sunday, unfortunately, I feel is going to kill it stone dead. :S

If it does die, however, I wish the BBC would bring back Survivors. Cancelling that show on such a cliffhanger made me really angry. I NEED to know what happened to Tom.

Ukko
February 16th, 2011, 12:43 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick013.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

:P

Personally I think the BBC's weird scheduling did damage the show. The first episode was a little "strange" IMO with emphasis on the kid and his Tiger, Tiger poem (thank God we haven't seen him again). Then on Tuesday it was up against Bid Fat Gypsy Wedding, which was really unfortunate. Who could have predicted that would be a hit. :S . I even wonder if some people realised it was on on that Tuesday or if people assumed it was just on once a week. It's such a shame because it's getting into it's stride now. This slot on Sunday, unfortunately, I feel is going to kill it stone dead. :S

If it does die, however, I wish the BBC would bring back Survivors. Cancelling that show on such a cliffhanger made me really angry. I NEED to know what happened to Tom.

He finally caught Jerry:p

knowles2
February 16th, 2011, 02:22 PM
From Facebook outcast page

As you may have heard, from 27th February Outcasts will be airing on Sundays at 10.35pm on BBC One. Episode 5 will still air on Monday 21st at 9pm. We hope fans of the show will enjoy the remaining three episodes of the series on Sunday nights.

daniel9
February 16th, 2011, 03:51 PM
damn that sux. and i was just getting into it too

KEK
February 19th, 2011, 02:24 AM
This is the BBC we're talking about, ratings don't drive things the way they do for most networks, profit is a non-issue. So just because the show has lost viewers, that doesn't mean they'll just kill it. In fact I'd be surprised if there weren't a second series if only to resolve the storyline. I do agree thought that if the numbers went off a cliff after the first episode then scheduling is to blame, airing the second episode the day after the first is just bizarre.

Anyway, I think it's been fantastic so far, and getting better as it goes. Looking forward to the next ep. :)

generaloneill
February 19th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Just watched episode 3, it was epic and the CG of the whiteout hitting forthaven is very well done and the shot of the mist coming over the mountains is very well done as well, my favourite scenes are Tipper Malone and his sisters, the president holding his kids cup and seeing the dead guys body at the earth beacon mast. Kudos to Rudy for saving Cass even though they are enemies Rudy just went up a bit on my respect scale

This reviewer rather amusingly compared the earth beacon to a mobile phone mast
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2011/feb/14/outcasts-season-one-episode-three

Wayston
February 20th, 2011, 04:49 AM
It's a decent show. They didn't make much in the way of advertising it seems because I was convinced based on the show title that it would be another one of those silly reality TV shows this time picturing the imagined life and obstacles of colonists on another planet.

Unfortunately I've grown very tired of these "lost-esque" shows where we get told from the start there's a big mystery that keeps being mysterious right until the end and where most people get extremely disappointed by the big reveal. I'd really, really like a show where they lay most of their cards on the table from the start so they can focus on actual development of the storyline rather than writing in mysterious mystery scenes that ultimately turn out to be pointless filler.

In short I like it, would like to see it go on, but it's certainly not the greatest show of its kind ever at this point.

Rodney_Mckay
February 21st, 2011, 10:52 AM
The BBC's *public* response on the matter.

Thank you for contacting us about ‘Outcasts’.

We understand that you’re unhappy with the scheduling for the series.

We raised your concerns with the BBC One scheduling team.

When scheduling a new series it is always difficult to decide on a slot that will be best for the audience. On this occasion, while we’re proud to have brought such an original series to BBC One, we now feel that the 22.25 Sunday slot is more suitable for ‘Outcasts’. Episode 5 will be broadcast as planned on Monday 21 February and then the series will be shown on Sundays from episode 6 on 27 February. We hope that by making this decision early and by giving viewers enough notice that everyone will be aware of the new time slot. Of course we’re sorry for any disappointment or inconvenience this causes viewers and the programme will still be available on the BBC iPlayer for anyone unable to watch the Sunday showing.

We hope you continue to watch and enjoy the remainder of the series.

Thank you once again for contacting us.

Regards

BBC Complaints

Ed
February 21st, 2011, 02:14 PM
This episode was a just too weird IMO vaugly reminded me of "objects in space though for some reason

But dam that ending sooo awesome

Julius is in contact with a space ship looks a bit different to the transporter he's going to clear all resistance to their arrival.

I reckon its either the Americans or the Chinese coming to take over.

Ukko
February 21st, 2011, 02:52 PM
This episode was a just too weird IMO vaugly reminded me of "objects in space though for some reason

Julius is in contact with a space ship looks a bit different to the transporter he's going to clear all resistance to their arrival.

I am i the only one who was thinking TAKE THE DAMN SKULL!!
I think the transport may be full of religious folk like him.

America? China? have i missed something?

DigiFluid
February 21st, 2011, 08:40 PM
The BBC's *public* response on the matter.
God I hate it when corporations send canned responses like that.

"Hey, I'm rather concerned about you having moved my show to x bad timeslot."
"Thanks for writing. We didn't actually read what you wrote, but we saw the word 'timeslot', so here's where we're moving the show to. Hope you enjoy it!"
"#*@$^!!!"

I think the transport may be full of religious folk like him.
Speculation:
An extremist religious revival/uprising in the death throes of planet Earth? Interesting thought, and really not a very far-fetched one either. I like it!

Wayston
February 22nd, 2011, 03:19 AM
Now that's an episode with a kick ass ending as a teaser. Parallels that my brain synapses made during the episode (although I'm bad at predictions):

-The planet gave off some kind of Erythro vibe (Asimov)
-The humans on the planet are not as free human beings as they think. They might be themselves AC's that were themselves programmed to start doing the hard colonizing work while the true humans are now inbound. They have somehow forgotten this (as said "Tate has forgotten his mission and just has these vague notions of trying to build a utopia"). Also note how Tate mentionned that it's strange the AC's turn out to be fertile, whereas the humans in Forthaven turn out to have very low fertility (although admittedly this explanation does not mesh with the mentioning that it had been plumetting, as this implies it was higher in the past). They could perhaps be based on real people with copied memories, hence them having personal memories of the "head of the evacuation program" and maybe even explaining why Lilly is so adverse to her mother.
-as for the human skelettons. "This is your future" (all of this has happened before and it will happen again? lol), so I guess the people cowering in Forthaven are destined to end up dead/slaughtered. Perhaps the radioactive hotspots were manmade from previous attacks?
-as a distant other explanation they could all be inside one of those virtual reality machines, although that's not likely since we saw a spaceship on its way and the whole it's all an illusion has done to death

So far I'm not entirely certain about the role religion is playing. Perhaps this universal spirit mumbo jumbo is linked to the planet, which again couples back to the "Erythro" vibe I'm getting. In any case people like Brennan (?) tend not to be genuinly religious, but simply try to use religious feelings of others to achieve their own less than moral agenda. It could be that the inbound ship is crewed by actual aliens and that Brennan is supposed to prep the locals for alien overlordship, but that would be a weird twist given the lack of emphasis on advanced alien life so far

Missster.Freeman
February 22nd, 2011, 10:38 AM
Thank F for BBCs iplayer. I missed the start of this series in the programme schedule. Just got finished watching the first episode and I'll definitely be tuning in for the rest of the series.

I was surprised by the size of the production for a science fiction show on the BBC's prime channel and also at the early exit for one of the characters. The trailer for episode two looked very interesting.

DigiFluid
February 22nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
Thank F for BBCs iplayer. I missed the start of this series in the programme schedule. Just got finished watching the first episode and I'll definitely be tuning in for the rest of the series.

I was surprised by the size of the production for a science fiction show on the BBC's prime channel and also at the early exit for one of the characters. The trailer for episode two looked very interesting.
Awesome, I hope you keep enjoying it. I certainly am!

Missster.Freeman
February 22nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
Awesome, I hope you keep enjoying it. I certainly am!Thanks! I should be able to catch up quick cos I have all the episodes to date downloaded into the iPlayer Desktop application. I better tread lightly in this thread until I've caught up.

DigiFluid
February 22nd, 2011, 07:22 PM
Might be a good idea, even though most of us have been trying very hard to spoiler tag things. Never know what might slip through ;)

KEK
February 22nd, 2011, 10:46 PM

Or the Catholic Church...

Wayston
February 23rd, 2011, 12:35 AM
Or the Catholic Church...

Nobody ever expects the spanish inquisition! :)

knowles2
February 23rd, 2011, 06:23 AM
I think I predicted a other transport was on it way.

Who on board, there are four options.

Coorperations an rich individuals who did not have the IQ or skill set to qulify for the other transports so built there own.

Americans or Chinese

Religous nutters.

I am ruling out the last one simply because it seems religion is just part of Julian plan to over throw Tate rather than his actual believe. I believe coorporations or rich individuals are most likely, considering Julian rather relaxed response to the crystals situation. An him looking down on the systems Tate and the council has built to manage resource. (I think it about time we are introduce to the rest of the council. )

The new space craft does seem bigger an meaner than the transport.

But I also think that Tate may already know it on it way and have a defence plan for the colony, or why even brother to undermine him.
I hope they are not all ACs.

It was a cool episode, but disappointed that Baxter story did not include some flash back scenes. I like how flight is in impossible of Carpathia.

Math boy seem to hate Julian, I look forward to see what crazy scheme comes up with for retaking the settlement.

I believe the radiation is does not exist an is in there minds or perhaps it the signature of the creatures that live on the planet or may be they are the creaturs. The reason I believe this because at one point they said the ocean itself was radioactive, an yet they swam in it fine.

I really do hope we get a other series.

Ian-S
February 23rd, 2011, 01:27 PM
speculation about what's coming:

The ship is America, Juilas is American, rest of the settlement is English(ish), I don't think that's a coincidence, the American's are coming to take over - maybe there is another ship coming too, full of Chinese/Russians who want to be in charge too?

I must admit I have laughed a few times at the lack of continuity, like struggling for food/power but having plenty of paper/envelopes/printers - and of course having 10 years supply of Whisky on tap while living in little more than a shanty town :lol:

BTW, if flight is impossible on the planet, how did they land that massive ship?

knowles2
February 25th, 2011, 05:23 AM
[QUOTE=Ian-S;12361032]speculation about what's coming:

The ship is America, Juilas is American, rest of the settlement is English(ish), I don't think that's a coincidence, the American's are coming to take over - maybe there is another ship coming too, full of Chinese/Russians who want to be in charge too?

Either do I, and I love to hear how Britain an Europe reacted to the American/ Chinese war. We know negotiations to place in Europe an America sailers were still visiting the UK and using our ports, so probably were not neutral in the war.

I must admit I have laughed a few times at the lack of continuity, like struggling for food/power but having plenty of paper/envelopes/printers - and of course having 10 years supply of Whisky on tap while living in little more than a shanty town :lol:

Every good engineer needs constant supply of whisky. Paper and evelope can clearly been explained by the nano factory facility they got. Whiskey is probably produce from the farms they have constructed, but have not shown yet, most of the money probably spent of constructing the current sets and ships CGI and so fourth. For the first season and sadly probably the last season.

if flight is impossible on the planet, how did they land that massive ship?

I think they meant more in atmosphere control flight and navigation. We heard from the first episode that even entering orbit can cause damage to the ship heat shields.

Crashing a space ship on to a planet does not count as flying either. It seem to me the few close ups we had of the vessel that landed have had extensive structural supports added at some point after landing, suggesting there landing was not a soft one.

Missster.Freeman
February 25th, 2011, 01:32 PM
That's episode two out of the way and I'm still enjoying the show so far. I better leave, though, before I read too much lol.

Just two thoughts: The wee roguish guy has shown a different side, which I like and I've taken an instant dislike to the guy who came down on the escape pod.

I might have some more thoughts to share (if I remember), but I'll leave that until I'm on a par with the rest of you guys. Might be later rather than sooner at the rate I'm going again!

Ian-S
February 26th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Crashing a space ship on to a planet does not count as flying either.

suppose that depends on whether you've been drinking the copious amounts of whiskey pre-flight to class it as flying or not :lol:

generaloneill
February 27th, 2011, 04:18 AM
I really liked the character patrick "pak" Baxter at first you don't care about him because he appears to be nothing more than a troublemaker causing a fight in the bar but by the end of the episode you really come to care for him Garry Lewis portrayed pak brilliantly, and i really liked that scene on the beach when Cass, Fleur and Pak arrive at the beach, and i liked tipper's reference to James Bond movie diamonds are forever, in this case diamonds are not forever.

Ed
February 27th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Dam best episode yet

ACs trying to assasinate jack

Julius getting more pushy starting to plan his coup.

Duplicates anything pak from last week was one two and that the ACs know all about who or whatever they are.

knowles2
February 27th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Awsome episode episode tonight.
Best of the series so far. It a damn shame that the BBC have redraw all support for this series it seem. They did not even brother to advertise its new timeslot.

An with only 2 episodes to go this series going to end on a massive cliff hanger, I can just fill it in my bones, to many storylines to wrap up in just two episodes.

So the beings that live on Carpathia have reveal themselves at last, an they all ready made one species extinct from what Tate said at the end, through where that species came from an why it so closely resemble us is still a mystery. An I suspect most of the other large animals on Carpathia have been wiped out by them also, that shows how bad ars these guys are.

There is hope through, we know that some amongst them that want to help or at least as some feeling for us, Baxter and his dog from the last episode.
The flask of water suddenly appearing with in reach of Jocey when she needed it the most, standing up right as well, in what was suppose to be a surprise ambush.
Through I am not clean on them using the idea these beings do not understand love or emotions. This theme is so over played in Sci-fi.

So we now know that Julian was not sent to take over the colony an it was a optional plan from the beginning. He really does seem to hate Tate through an continue to underestimate him as well, but I do not think his superiors will be happy when they find out he cause civil war for no reason. I think he overestimated his support by some margin to.

I so want to see that Tate has planted a bug in his room an been monitoring his communications an jamming them from the begining just to see Julian face when Tate tells him. But if Tate does not have a plan for dealing with Julian it be a shame.

This programme was far more entertaining that this week episode of Being Human. An certainly one of the few programmes on TV that can hold my attention at the moment.

From next preview

So anyone got any guesses as who cas is, I think he one of the first people to land on the planet, may be part of Baxter crew, and may be he the AC that supposedly died when they first landed or the commander Baxter apparently killed. May he one of the aliens who decided to live amongst us to learn about us. Through I do wonder why he so desperate to keep the above so secret. If he a alien we have nothing that could harm him. An I do not see why we would necessary be hostile to the other two.

An given the weaponry the rest of the team equip themselves when pursuing him it clear that they consider him a big threat.

Ian-S
February 27th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I hope they are not going down the route of ascended beings able to take on the form of a person from touch, it'll seem a little bit like Odo meets the Ancients cop out to me.

That AC seemed as scared as everybody else when the woman started talking about the light, I think Cas has just assumed the identity of someone else, maybe killed the original Cas back on Earth and used their I.D. - it was hinted earlier in the series that he had anger management issues hehe.

Tate's plan should just be a bullet to the head and be done with it, Julias or whatever his name is, is trouble with a capital T, he's really starting to get under my skin now.

It's funny, British TV more often than not portrays the American's as the evil ones, and in American TV we're portrayed as the evil ones (Flashforward etc.) :lol:

Must admit, I'm starting to wonder really how long they've been there and whether they're all AC's as Baxter seemed to hint last week that AC's existed before we left earth....

DigiFluid
February 27th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Got today's episode on right now, will report back once I'm done. For now though, I was looking at the show's official site and I'm a little puzzled at BBC's scheduling.

They're showing the next episode on BBC One next Sunday night, but not showing it on BBC HD till the next day. Has Syfylis' scheduling department infected the BBC's or what?

DigiFluid
February 27th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Okay then.

Episode 6
More excellence, more tense storytelling, more great acting, and more maddening mystery. I love it :D And I was beyond impressed that the child actors in this episode were actually good. I literally laughed aloud when the little boy said to Jack "I just know, stupid!"

I'm guessing the next two episodes are really going to kick it into high gear, being that they're the only two left. Can't wait to see what happens and OH do I ever hope Julius gets what's coming to him!

Ed
February 28th, 2011, 03:16 AM
A

The flask of water suddenly appearing with in reach of Jocey when she needed it the most, standing up right as well, in what was suppose to be a surprise ambush.

that was the one cas puts down on the rocks and leaves behind when they see the lights go out in the city.

i think cas did something bad back on earth Mitchell know about it but "didn't want to shoot"

generaloneill
February 28th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Anyone got the total number of viewers for sunday night's episode?

Wayston
March 1st, 2011, 12:01 AM
I didn't realize they had moved it to sunday :S

knowles2
March 1st, 2011, 06:02 AM
I didn't realize they had moved it to sunday :S

I think very few peopel did.

I look but cannot find the numbers.

But I would not be surprise if Iplayer number have increase massively an the live BBC 1 numbers have gone way down to less than a million.

Wayston
March 1st, 2011, 06:16 AM
It's unfortunate if they're set to drop it, because ultimately it has the potential to become a great series. The actors generally do a great job in portraying their characters, making you want to know more about their backstory (like why is Cass so loyal to the president?).

As I've already mentioned I find it a bit unfortunate that they went for a more "lostesque" aproach. They clearly have a very interesting universe going on but instead of the writers exploring it with every chance they get they spend a lot of their screentime on relatively small and unimportant events (given the bigger picture) while setting up the pieces for a big finale. I hope this season receives a good ending with proper closure if the BBC decides to drop it, because otherwise I would be very sad with the wasted opportunity for establishing a whole a new sci fi universe.

knowles2
March 2nd, 2011, 03:11 AM
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s112/got-to-dance/news/a306571/over-1m-watch-got-to-dance-finale.html

Outcast drops to 1.52 million.
So about half of it audience. But I do not think that to bad considering it a graveyard slot on a night when everyone wants to get to bed with zero advertisement announce the move. Be interesting to see what the Iplayer numbers are like.

An it did considerably better than the oftern rave about Being Human which did less than a million at 977K.

Osiris
March 2nd, 2011, 05:15 AM
Ratings shouldn't matter to the BBC anyway...

KEK
March 3rd, 2011, 06:18 AM
They still have to justify spending money on Outcasts rather than something else that might do better, for example. Being the only serious science fiction the BBC has might count in it's favour though, as they have a mandate to appeal to everyone with something.

knowles2
March 6th, 2011, 03:56 PM
A great episode. So I am guesting both Cas and Flaus are omega subjects what ever that means. We never did learn what Cas did. An how many secrets as Tate got.

I got the feeling the message they sent to the life force is a declaration of war.

But why are they peaceful to the AC, when they already wiped out a other similar species to us humans and all large predators.
I got the feeling that these guys are as indigenous to the planet as we are aka not very. An the ACs are nothing but pawns in there game.

Through I do hope we get a ally or two amongst them. The kids have yet to speak, one of them help and heal one us and one wanted to know what love was.

Anyone else reckon Julias already knew about the entities and we were warn before we arrive not to stay on the planet.
An I need a other season, the show just keeps on getting and need a other season.

Just a question, what did stella daughter do, I missed that part.

dosed150
March 6th, 2011, 06:04 PM
she stole from the bar

as for the omega thing, they said there was only one, omega as the last letter of the greek alphabet always seems to be used to mean the end, so i reckon shes like some kind of advanced ac

KEK
March 7th, 2011, 08:50 AM
It'll be a shame if/when the BBC cancel this, it's gradually gotten better and better as it's gone on. Up there with Fringe and SGU now IMO.

12OzMouse
March 7th, 2011, 06:48 PM
There are so many things that I'd like to get answers about and one episode left to do it in. I'm bound to be disappointed regardless of how they decide to burn off the last minutes. I think that it's done enough to deserve a second series, it has to be fairly cheap to shoot. I mean it's not like they spent a bunch of money on the sets or anything.

Although the way they went about scheduling it makes me feel as if they gave up before they even got started. Hope I'm wrong and also hope for a short hiatus!

DigiFluid
March 7th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Episode 7
As much as I enjoy this series, there were huge swaths of this episode that I just did not care about in the least.
Fleur suddenly being flirty with Cass after being betrayed horribly a few weeks ago
random domestic squabble that took entirely too long as part of the story
Tate is, effectively, the president of all humanity....and nobody so much as blinks when he decides to go for a stroll in the dangerous territory outside town?
Stella is an awful, awful mother
why in hell would they have Fleur interrogating her own partner?
what possible reason could there be for having glass holding back dirt in a shipping crate?

And even putting those complaints aside, I'm a bit concerned about the pacing of the series' main plot. This is one of my favourite new shows, and even I am getting tired of plodding developments that only seem to happen as bookends around a largely unrelated episode plot.

All that said, I'm looking forward to next week. I can't wait to see how this season (hopefully not series!) ends.

12OzMouse
March 13th, 2011, 09:30 AM
There are way, way too many irons in the fire or questions to be answered for 43 minutes. Even though the manner in which we've made it to this part of the story is flawed, I am very interested in this world and some of the people in it. I'm very curious to see how they spend this remaining time and I'll also be anxious to hear if the show will be recommissioned. There's so much potential here that I hate to see it lost, but on the other hand I won't grieve for long if it is...

KEK
March 13th, 2011, 01:25 PM
55 minutes ;)

Ukko
March 13th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Evolution to dissembodied know it all:p Fave line. Makes me think of the ancients:D

Hope they make more.

KEK
March 13th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Enjoyed that. It'll be a shame if there isn't a second series.

knowles2
March 13th, 2011, 05:05 PM
A seriously good show with a seriously good episode tonight.

The Julian just does not know when he lost.
Jack is president, did not see that one coming, Tate is a master chess players, he certainly how to move the pieces around board with grace and skill.

The AC showed real fear when the CT10 vessel showed, guest he was not expecting that. May his host force friends does not know everything after all.

So the host force finds us interesting. An seem to actually listen to Tate argument.

Evolution to dissembodied know it all Fave line.

Same here, seriously cool line.

BBC better give us a other series, or at least a two hour special to wrap up the series.

Flaur storyline was a bit predictable after last week episode. So the omega project was to improve the mind and to govern emotions.

But Tate did not exactly say why they did it, I can understand them doing the physical body experiments and even some of the other stuff but we had two case of them manipulating people brains, and I want to know why and Tate did not explain why.

Thought the whole teenage kissing in the door was was a bit far fetch, it may work if you do not know exactly who you are looking for but they have work with these guys for at least ten years, they should recognise them easily.

The space craft coming in over fort haven looked awsome. So control flight does seem possible of Carpathia after all, guesting may be someone on Earth sabotage Fort Haven, the first expedition aircrafts to limit it development and the colony spread.

Like the way Julian one minute preparing his hit list the next offering Jack a gold mind. Julian is so in love with Stella, it pretty obvious after this episode, did not relies it until now.

Well I am growing more and more fascinated by what happen on earth, may be I mis heard him but Cas did say that Mexican and Russian Cartels controlled London. I am slightly disappointed that he was just a hit man for the mob through, I was expecting him to have done something far worse than that.

My one problem with this episode is that they seem to have come up with the ultrasonic shield a bit quickly. But you got to wonder if the host force can easily bypassed it as he claimed or is that just a bluff. An love the way the host force called us insets and how he describe us.

I wonder if there other beings on the planet that are advance as they are.
We never find out who or what attack Flaus and Cas in the first episode/

generaloneill
March 13th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Ratings shouldn't matter to the BBC anyway...

That's true Holby City's ratings have been declining year by year and it's still around, there's still hope for Outcasts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holby_City#Ratings

Absolutely brilliant can't wait for the second series, i was taken by surprise by what president Tate did my money was on Stella Isen being his replacement, kudos to Jack for standing up to Berger and about what Cass got upto on earth with the cartels that doesn't matter the past should be left in the past. I wonder what the arrival of CT-10 will mean for Carpathia

Dr Lee
March 13th, 2011, 07:05 PM
There's almost certainly not going to be a 2nd season.... this show has been panned by the critics and has had horrendous ratings... Bad enough that the BBC actually shifted it from it's original timeslot to the graveyard slot...

While this show has had potential (And the VERY cute Amy Manson/Mason).... the writing has bee awful...

Heck, the finale alone had two big glaring errors in having the ship fly (Something we were told was impossible on this planet) and having the ship in orbit of the planet without Forthaven knowing a thing

IF a season 2 is made, then they need to fire ALL the writers and replace them with competent people...

...and this is from someone who liked the show

generaloneill
March 14th, 2011, 07:53 AM
There's almost certainly not going to be a 2nd season.... this show has been panned by the critics and has had horrendous ratings... Bad enough that the BBC actually shifted it from it's original timeslot to the graveyard slot...

While this show has had potential (And the VERY cute Amy Manson/Mason).... the writing has bee awful...

Heck, the finale alone had two big glaring errors in having the ship fly (Something we were told was impossible on this planet) and having the ship in orbit of the planet without Forthaven knowing a thing

IF a season 2 is made, then they need to fire ALL the writers and replace them with competent people...

...and this is from someone who liked the show

Maybe CT-10 was far enough outside of Forthaven's sensor range that they couldn't be detected, it was never stated on screen that CT-10 was in orbit of Carpathia, CT-10 could have been in orbit of any planet in the system prior to going into orbit over Carpathia i wonder what will happen to CT-10'S drive section not that they have left it in orbit, will it maintain a stable orbit or will it enter Carpathia's atmosphere and is there a skeleton crew left on board the drive section to keep it in a stable orbit?.

Ah nuts
BBC confirms 'Outcasts' axe
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a308844/bbc-confirms-outcasts-axe.html

The b******s never had any faith in this show, pity to see it killed off before it's time i'm going to quote commander Riker, i'm going to miss this ship she went before her time.

Dr Lee
March 14th, 2011, 07:57 AM
well... the BBC have confirmed the show is dead... so it doesn't matter now...

i just hope that the BBC don't use this as an example to use our license fee cash for yet another sh*tty soap...

DigiFluid
March 14th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Not surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised.

knowles2
March 14th, 2011, 09:05 AM

Two big errors, or two big story points to be explore in the next season or perhaps on of the other 4 planned seasons, the creator himself said the story was design to be told over five series.
Radar jamming easily explains that, we seen all the time stargate universe. expected more of you here.

The Host force could easily explain things about the no flying or may be the people on the craft that just landed crack the problem before they left earth or perhaps Julias and his people did it to hold back Fort Haven exploration by intentionally sabotaging the flight air crafts before they left earth, stopping them from expanding the colony.

So they are either obvious plot holes, a bit to obvious to me or they make very interest plot points for future seasons of the show if there are some to explore and examine.

Sad to learn there will not be a other season, well they said that about Primeeval and Tourchwood so hopefully a campagn can get going to force the BBC to give us a second series/

Dr Lee
March 14th, 2011, 09:13 AM
It's been confirmed as cancelled Knowles2....

Ukko
March 14th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Maybe CT-10 was far enough outside of Forthaven's sensor range that they couldn't be detected, it was never stated on screen that CT-10 was in orbit of Carpathia, CT-10 could have been in orbit of any planet in the system prior to going into orbit over Carpathia i wonder what will happen to CT-10'S drive section not that they have left it in orbit, will it maintain a stable orbit or will it enter Carpathia's atmosphere and is there a skeleton crew left on board the drive section to keep it in a stable orbit?.

Ah nuts
BBC confirms 'Outcasts' axe
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a308844/bbc-confirms-outcasts-axe.html

The b******s never had any faith in this show, pity to see it killed off before it's time i'm going to quote commander Riker, i'm going to miss this ship she went before her time.

From what little was said in that it sounded like series 2 would've been awesome:(

Blencathra
March 14th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I was expecting that it would be cancelled but it's still very disappointing. :(

daniel9
March 14th, 2011, 10:40 AM
from outcasts fb page
Thanks so much for all your support over the last few weeks. Although we remain very proud of the show, there are unfortunately no plans for Outcasts to return for another series.

12OzMouse
March 14th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I'm sorry to hear that we've seen the last of Outcasts. Although the writing was sketchy at times and they had a few problems with the timeline, overall, it was a good story that was just starting to get my attention. The BBC must not have liked this one from the beginning or at least after the first 4 episodes. You can only expect the viewing public to look so much for any show and the past couple of weeks you'd have had to really want to see it to find it on the schedule, (like me). Perhaps the writers will finish it off in print or graphic novel, although I really don't hold much hope for that either.

knowles2
March 14th, 2011, 02:08 PM
http://danowen.blogspot.com/2011/03/interview-ben-richards-writercreator-of.html

An interview from the show creator.
Shame it been cancel.

dosed150
March 14th, 2011, 06:18 PM
looking at the people left on earth would have been interesting, not like the bbc to cancel something after 1 series

P-90_177
March 14th, 2011, 06:30 PM
looking at the people left on earth would have been interesting, not like the bbc to cancel something after 1 series

Not usually no. Probably an indication of how low the ratings for outcasts were. I'd imagine it was a pretty expensive show to produce too.

Wayston
March 15th, 2011, 02:49 AM

It did not really bother me. On the one hand at the time of the episode there is a cycle of very little electromagnetic activity, which must ease things, plus the original ship was also able to do what this one did. On the other hand they deliberatly kept themselves hidden. At least they addressed this concern in the episode, which makes it easy to accept for me that there is a very obvious reason why this makes sense for the people in that universe, even if it's not made clear what that is to us the viewer. It's a known technique which is perfectly legitimate if used in moderation, I had no problem seeing it used for this since it does not really have real bearing on the grander scheme of things (they may as well have stated on screen they hid behind a moon or something as is often the case in this sort of plotline).

What did bother me a little bit was how the supposedly dangerous signal interference turned out to be but a minor inconvenience for the ship in question. But here the worries maybe were just Berger's concern, not scientific fact. It also makes me wonder where they were planning to land, since the alternative landing site did not seem that far away.

DigiFluid
March 15th, 2011, 03:10 PM
So apparently Jeanne Kietzmann (Lily) isn't just some frumpy kid girl. Apparently she's actually the pretty hot model girlfriend of some South African cricketer.

FHM photos (http://fhm.co.za/girls/jeanne-kietzmann/22/). I wouldn't call them adult, but probably PG-13.

rockerlad
March 15th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Well what a bummer, i thought this show was getting better by the episode. GOD DAMIT

daniel9
March 15th, 2011, 04:58 PM
lol nope not adult but they make for nice eyecandy

Demoniser
March 20th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Not surprised it was cancelled tbh.

The show was meandering along from the start tbh. Nothing really grabbed my attention really, and the interesting plot points like the fossils, ac's and occupying force were dealt with in such a haphazard way that they just floundered.

I'm a little dissapointed that the show got cancelled, in the sense that it's another attempt at British Sci Fi that end up as a disaster. I really would like for someone to
come alone here in the UK, and wow us with an awesome Sci Fi show, but i don't see it happening anytime soon.

While i'm sure whoever worked on it worked pretty damn hard, it just turned out poorly, no matter how you sugar coat it.

daniel9
March 22nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
Outcasts has finished its run on BBC One. Sadly there are no plans for a 2nd series. We are unable to continue hosting this page to the level you deserve, so we’ll be closing the wall to public posts later this week. We’ve had a great time running the page and hope you’ve enjoyed the updates. Thanks so much to everyone who’s been supporting the series and sharing your enthusiasm for the show over the last few months

from the outcasts facebook page

tho i do not understand how they cant continue to host the page. it doesnt cost anything!

DigiFluid
March 22nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
That's a little stupid IMO.

Control_Chair
March 24th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Shame the series has been cancelled, first SGU and now Outcasts, just goes to show that the BBC is no better at managing serious SciFi drama than SyFy is :mad:

KEK
March 25th, 2011, 06:32 AM
The scheduling for Outcasts was even worse than for SGU. They aired the second episode the day after the first one, and then they wonder why people didn't tune in. Regardless of them advertising it, no one expects that and loads will have missed it. Then they changed the day. They took the piss. It's not like they have ratings to worry about either, I wouldn't be surprise if they killed it on purpose.

Wayston
March 25th, 2011, 06:38 AM
It's probably just me but I was also convinced initially that it was some sort of reality show simulating the challenges of life on another planet, sort of like Survivor. :) Boy was I pleasantly surprised when I saw the first episode...

Demoniser
March 26th, 2011, 05:31 AM
The scheduling for Outcasts was even worse than for SGU. They aired the second episode the day after the first one, and then they wonder why people didn't tune in. Regardless of them advertising it, no one expects that and loads will have missed it. Then they changed the day. They took the piss. It's not like they have ratings to worry about either, I wouldn't be surprise if they killed it on purpose.

No business would purposely kill a programme.

Outcasts started in a primtime slot, 9pm on a weekday. If the programme is getting rubbish viewing figures, why for any sane reason would the bbc keep flogging a dead horse in a lucrative timeslot? When you consider that they could reschedule it to a time that has less of an impact (which they did) and replace it with something that could possibly take fuller advantage of it's slot, it makes sense.

They're a business, this is the way it's played.

Ukko
March 26th, 2011, 05:49 AM

Outcasts started in a primtime slot, 9pm on a weekday. If the programme is getting rubbish viewing figures, why for any sane reason would the bbc keep flogging a dead horse in a lucrative timeslot? When you consider that they could reschedule it to a time that has less of an impact (which they did) and replace it with something that could possibly take fuller advantage of it's slot, it makes sense.

Then they should get rid of holby city.

That's true Holby City's ratings have been declining year by year and it's still around, there's still hope for Outcasts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holby_City#Ratings

Demoniser
March 26th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Don't know how you can bring a show like Holy City into discussion about a new Sci Fi show.

You're talking about an established show that began over a decade ago, it may have had declining ratings, but they're not going to get rid of it. It has a track record of 12+ seasons, and can probably still be milked. It's a completely different situation. Holby City might be a declining show, but it's hardly a dead horse. Outcasts on the other hand, had significantly less viewers, in a nich genre, and it was a brand new show with no established fanbase.

knowles2
March 26th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Don't know how you can bring a show like Holy City into discussion about a new Sci Fi show.

You're talking about an established show that began over a decade ago, it may have had declining ratings, but they're not going to get rid of it. It has a track record of 12+ seasons, and can probably still be milked. It's a completely different situation. Holby City might be a declining show, but it's hardly a dead horse. Outcasts on the other hand, had significantly less viewers, in a nich genre, and it was a brand new show with no established fanbase.

A better argument for getting rid of Holby City is the fact there two hospital shows on TV Holby City and Casualty, they even base in the same hospital and it also something the commercial sector could afford to do.

The whole idea of the BBC is meant to do stuff the commercial broadcasters wot do cant do, such as niche scifi programming such as Outcasts.

Several people have pointed this out to the BBC so far they have not responded to this question. The fact they said they cutting the programme base on audience numbers might actually be against the BBC own rules for cutting programmes, they are suppose to look at a whole range of factors an not whether it catches the audience attention or no, it seems in Outcasts they may not of done that. That what a friend mention to me and I made the same point to the BBC, they ignore this point as well in my complaint to them.

I am now rather ironically complaining about the response I got from them. As I thought it was unsatufactory.

I probably get a other computer generated reply again.

KEK
March 29th, 2011, 11:13 AM

Lucrative timeslot? I'm not sure you understand how the BBC is run. The networks is funded by TV license payers, they don't air commercials and high ratings don't earn them money. Even if they did however, that wouldn't explain or excuse the bone-headed decision to air the second episode the day after the first, when no one would have been expecting it. And given the expense, niche nature and the logistical nightmare of filming in South Africa, it's not outside the realms of possibility that the higher-ups would have gotten cold feet and would rather spend the money elsewhere. It's not like they'd have anything to lose.

Admiral Mappalazarou
April 1st, 2011, 08:42 AM
I can't say I'm entirely distraught at the prospect of losing Outcasts to cancellation. It didn't pull me in after two episodes, and that's kinda bad. Even SGU had more excitement and mystery (though I stopped watching that too midway through season one). Someone on facebook suggested that we've been spoiled in the gritty scifi genre by BSG.

I would agree with him. Even Caprica, which was made by the same people, didn't live up to its predecessor. I doubt anything will. I also think that Outcasts had more than a few internal issues, such as bad acting (strange since most of the cast had proved themselves more than capable on other shows) which was probably the result of a bad director (who didn't properly motivate the actors to do anything). Plus I found it, in general, to be a bit boring and poorly executed, but I gave it a chance at least.

I won't watch scifi just for the sake of it. Someone has to pull me in and hold me for the whole run. That's what BSG so damn special, and it was a difficult genre to tackle anyway. The critical success of BSG has only made it more difficult. Wishing further attempts to tackle the genre good luck. They're gonna need it.

Sp!der
April 2nd, 2011, 09:09 AM
I thought Outcasts was very well made.... and I am sad that its being canceled.

generaloneill
April 7th, 2011, 04:05 PM
A better argument for getting rid of Holby City is the fact there two hospital shows on TV Holby City and Casualty, they even base in the same hospital and it also something the commercial sector could afford to do.

The whole idea of the BBC is meant to do stuff the commercial broadcasters wot do cant do, such as niche scifi programming such as Outcasts.

Several people have pointed this out to the BBC so far they have not responded to this question. The fact they said they cutting the programme base on audience numbers might actually be against the BBC own rules for cutting programmes, they are suppose to look at a whole range of factors an not whether it catches the audience attention or no, it seems in Outcasts they may not of done that. That what a friend mention to me and I made the same point to the BBC, they ignore this point as well in my complaint to them.

I am now rather ironically complaining about the response I got from them. As I thought it was unsatufactory.

I probably get a other computer generated reply again.

Don't forget Grey's Anatomy, i think they should take turn Casualty's life support off, it's never been as good as Holby City, Casualty's characters are the most humourless characters i've ever seen on a tv show, Lee Evans was right in what he said about Casualty you can tell who will be in it in the first 5 minutes, Casualty character it'll be all right love i'll be fine, he's going to be in it.

Back on topic

'Outcasts' creator reveals series two plans
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a313287/outcasts-creator-reveals-series-two-plans.html

If we are to get a novelization of outcasts i will definitely be buying it.

There are a couple of petitions on facebook looking to get a second series.

Quote from facebook
We should SO form browncoat-like sub-groups - the ACs, the PAS and the XPs - to maximise fan involvement. Firefly followers kept the Fight fun to keep the faith. Personally, I'm an AC.

Exclusive: what would have happened next in Outcasts
http://www.denofgeek.com/television/840642/exclusive_what_would_have_happened_next_in_outcasts.html

knowles2
April 8th, 2011, 01:42 AM
generaloneill
Second Lieutenant

Nice update. I was just talking about the 2 BBC hospital drama. Of cause there about a dozen of them on TV at any one time. Which is why we do not need them from the BBC.

I like his plans for the second season.

An there have been a lot complaints to the BBC about the grounds on which this was cancelled, even a few none fans of the show have sent in complaints, it seem people are not happy the BBC cancel this show on the grounds audience numbers alone.

An I got the feeling BBC trusts going to have a busy couple of months answering all our letters and get responses from the BBC controllers, may be they will get a written response instead of a standard reply to a complaint.

Demoniser
April 8th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Lucrative timeslot? I'm not sure you understand how the BBC is run. The networks is funded by TV license payers, they don't air commercials and high ratings don't earn them money. Even if they did however, that wouldn't explain or excuse the bone-headed decision to air the second episode the day after the first, when no one would have been expecting it. And given the expense, niche nature and the logistical nightmare of filming in South Africa, it's not outside the realms of possibility that the higher-ups would have gotten cold feet and would rather spend the money elsewhere. It's not like they'd have anything to lose.

Technically not 100% true on the commercials point, BBC America carries advertisments as it's not funded by the UK license fee.

Any slot that has more viewers is more lucrative, that's why you want to put a show that will be popular there. Outcasts wasn't popular, so it got shafted. Don't get me wrong, i think the choice of airing the first two episodes within a day of one another was insanely stupid.

Take Doctor Who it's damn successful. Theres a very good reason why it's on early in the evening in that 6-8 o'clock bracket = kids. Kids make it popular, popularity means marketability, marketability means merchandise in the form of dvd's, books, toys etc, this means money. Then you get this popularity and sales potential spilling over into other countries, at last check Doctor Who was airing in 50 odd countries, sadly Outcasts didn't have this potential.

I do agree that the out of the way nature of South Africa could have contributed to it's cancellation, as the cost of travel and production could have been much higher.

generaloneill
April 8th, 2011, 07:57 AM
generaloneill
Second Lieutenant

Nice update. I was just talking about the 2 BBC hospital drama. Of cause there about a dozen of them on TV at any one time. Which is why we do not need them from the BBC.

I like his plans for the second season.

An there have been a lot complaints to the BBC about the grounds on which this was cancelled, even a few none fans of the show have sent in complaints, it seem people are not happy the BBC cancel this show on the grounds audience numbers alone.

An I got the feeling BBC trusts going to have a busy couple of months answering all our letters and get responses from the BBC controllers, may be they will get a written response instead of a standard reply to a complaint.

I would personally like to see a second series and it could still happen, the way i see it Outcasts belongs to Ben Richards not the BBC so he could take it to any other channel if he wanted to and it could continue.

Outcasts fans should i think camp outside the BBC HQ for as long as it takes, it's something i could clear my schedule for if i have to.

Ben Richards interview: looking back at Outcasts, its critical reaction, and where next
http://www.denofgeek.com/television/842730/ben_richards_interview_looking_back_at_outcasts_its_critical_reaction_and_where_ next.html

daniel9
April 8th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Outcasts will be starting on American Television very soon... Lets see what happens.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/comingsoon.jsp

from fb outcasts series 2 petition page

knowles2
April 9th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Lets hope it does well over there.

Ben Richards interview was interesting, I wish we got more info about season 2 through.

Blencathra
April 9th, 2011, 05:18 AM
I'd certainly buy the book if he was to write one.

MattSilver 3k
April 10th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Having just watched the series, I can safely say I have little to no idea why everyone's hating on it, and that I enjoyed the ride thoroughly. Like wow, what a great experience. So... Let's go episode by episode, kinda:

Episode One: Jamie Bamber was beyond awesome, and I thought him to be the main character for a while there, but his descent into psychotic-ness and eventual death worked within the story. Over the course of the episode, though Hoban was my favourite right off the bat and quickly got offed, the other characters hooked me and I enjoyed their various strengths and flaws on display - one of my favourite moments was Stella very matter-of-factly telling Tate she slept with Tipper, Tate's reaction and the ensuing conversation - it felt human, which is always a good sign.

Episode Two: I quite enjoyed the irony of Fleur killing Mitchell for her beliefs and getting majorly screwed over in this episode with her conversation with Tate. Set her up nicely in a very sort of "she was always destined to be a tragic figure" way, which comes into play come episode eight, because yeesh. Berger's creepiness here is kinda different than what comes later, but it was good to establish right away that he's a bit of a creep so as to echo throughout the series about what he did to Ashley Burrows' mother.

Episode Three: Probably one of my favourite episodes, and the one that resonated the most. The one that really got to my core and I just loved, and it was all because of my favouritest character - Tipper Malone. Like wow. The breakdown over the radio was heartbreaking, and the chair scene at the end was just... Like really, I can't even describe it.

Episode Four: While I liked this episode for the Cass/Fleur dilemma, the handling of Elijah felt a bit off, because I was totally expecting Cass's betrayal to be part of the plan or something, like he would lead everyone somewhere where Elijah wasn't and let him go home with Rudy and be with his people. One moment I loved was Berger calling the woman Elijah attacked "a stupid woman" - it was a very defining little moment about his hate-on for the AC's. Also, while Lily came off as more than a little childish - for understandable reasons, but still - over the course of the series, I quite liked the idea of her moving in with Tipper, because wow the fun that'd ensue if she knew Tipper slept with her mother would be priceless. And plus, Tipper. What a guy.

Episode Five: Another tragic episode, and I especially liked the continuing mystery of the ones that came before, the Jack/Stella trip, and of course, Pack's fate. Pack's little speech about Tigger69, the first AC to walk on Carpathia, was sad as all hell, and that worked with the somewhat happy background of his death scene, with Cass and Fleur seeing the ocean and him walking along with his dog, which becomes even weirder considering the events that came with the Host Source - I can't help but wonder now if there is maybe a more compassionate offshoot of our alien buddies.

Episode Six: Man, the whole time I was thinking that the AC's had perfected cloning and cloned Josie Harper, and that really threw me off the entire time, haha. On another note, I quite like Jack's arc, because he is a very deep character despite appearances, and it was an interesting ride with him while he was being pulled around by Berger, which leads us to...

Episode Seven: Harsh, Jack. Harsh. Berger's manipulations were just harsh. Liked Tate going out and trying to find the answers personally even if he got his ass kicked for it, because it did show the proactive man beneath the other layers, and a really ouch moment was him realising that Jack never had the captured AC returned home as he ordered, and that's why Rudy rebuffed him there at the end. As for the Cass/Fleur thing - I loved that pairing, and I really dug their vibe and stuff, and man did this episode make it hard for them. Like wow. Talk about feeling lousy there at the end when she went home with Jack and he was left alone to stew on his past. Luckily, episode eight remedied that tenfold, but I'll get to that.

And finally... Episode Eight: Fantastic stuff. Loved Tate's gambit of putting Jack in charge. Loved the Cass/Fleur emotion as they split off. Loved Stella going to comfort Tipper when she thought he was dying. Loved Jack finally standing up to Berger at the right moment and coming through, even at the possible cost at his life and not for the right reasons or for the wrong reasons, but for the complex human reason based on a simple lack of foresight on Berger's part to be a little less smarmy to his best ally. And oh my god did I enjoy, after seeing it in the opening credits for the past episodes, seeing Berger rot in prison for a moment.

TL;DR: Great show. Shame that it got canned - and I think it is pretty much gone by this point - but it was a great eight hour ride and I'll never be more confused about what other people find "slow" or "uninteresting" if this is their idea of either.

knowles2
April 10th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Having just watched the series, I can safely say I have little to no idea why everyone's hating on it, and that I enjoyed the ride thoroughly. Like wow, what a great experience. So... Let's go episode by episode, kinda:

Episode One: Jamie Bamber was beyond awesome, and I thought him to be the main character for a while there, but his descent into psychotic-ness and eventual death worked within the story. Over the course of the episode, though Hoban was my favourite right off the bat and quickly got offed, the other characters hooked me and I enjoyed their various strengths and flaws on display - one of my favourite moments was Stella very matter-of-factly telling Tate she slept with Tipper, Tate's reaction and the ensuing conversation - it felt human, which is always a good sign.

Episode Two: I quite enjoyed the irony of Fleur killing Mitchell for her beliefs and getting majorly screwed over in this episode with her conversation with Tate. Set her up nicely in a very sort of "she was always destined to be a tragic figure" way, which comes into play come episode eight, because yeesh. Berger's creepiness here is kinda different than what comes later, but it was good to establish right away that he's a bit of a creep so as to echo throughout the series about what he did to Ashley Burrows' mother.

Episode Three: Probably one of my favourite episodes, and the one that resonated the most. The one that really got to my core and I just loved, and it was all because of my favouritest character - Tipper Malone. Like wow. The breakdown over the radio was heartbreaking, and the chair scene at the end was just... Like really, I can't even describe it.

Episode Four: While I liked this episode for the Cass/Fleur dilemma, the handling of Elijah felt a bit off, because I was totally expecting Cass's betrayal to be part of the plan or something, like he would lead everyone somewhere where Elijah wasn't and let him go home with Rudy and be with his people. One moment I loved was Berger calling the woman Elijah attacked "a stupid woman" - it was a very defining little moment about his hate-on for the AC's. Also, while Lily came off as more than a little childish - for understandable reasons, but still - over the course of the series, I quite liked the idea of her moving in with Tipper, because wow the fun that'd ensue if she knew Tipper slept with her mother would be priceless. And plus, Tipper. What a guy.

Episode Five: Another tragic episode, and I especially liked the continuing mystery of the ones that came before, the Jack/Stella trip, and of course, Pack's fate. Pack's little speech about Tigger69, the first AC to walk on Carpathia, was sad as all hell, and that worked with the somewhat happy background of his death scene, with Cass and Fleur seeing the ocean and him walking along with his dog, which becomes even weirder considering the events that came with the Host Source - I can't help but wonder now if there is maybe a more compassionate offshoot of our alien buddies.

Episode Six: Man, the whole time I was thinking that the AC's had perfected cloning and cloned Josie Harper, and that really threw me off the entire time, haha. On another note, I quite like Jack's arc, because he is a very deep character despite appearances, and it was an interesting ride with him while he was being pulled around by Berger, which leads us to...

Episode Seven: Harsh, Jack. Harsh. Berger's manipulations were just harsh. Liked Tate going out and trying to find the answers personally even if he got his ass kicked for it, because it did show the proactive man beneath the other layers, and a really ouch moment was him realising that Jack never had the captured AC returned home as he ordered, and that's why Rudy rebuffed him there at the end. As for the Cass/Fleur thing - I loved that pairing, and I really dug their vibe and stuff, and man did this episode make it hard for them. Like wow. Talk about feeling lousy there at the end when she went home with Jack and he was left alone to stew on his past. Luckily, episode eight remedied that tenfold, but I'll get to that.

And finally... Episode Eight: Fantastic stuff. Loved Tate's gambit of putting Jack in charge. Loved the Cass/Fleur emotion as they split off. Loved Stella going to comfort Tipper when she thought he was dying. Loved Jack finally standing up to Berger at the right moment and coming through, even at the possible cost at his life and not for the right reasons or for the wrong reasons, but for the complex human reason based on a simple lack of foresight on Berger's part to be a little less smarmy to his best ally. And oh my god did I enjoy, after seeing it in the opening credits for the past episodes, seeing Berger rot in prison for a moment.

TL;DR: Great show. Shame that it got canned - and I think it is pretty much gone by this point - but it was a great eight hour ride and I'll never be more confused about what other people find "slow" or "uninteresting" if this is their idea of either.

Nice review.

I would not quite count this out just yet, this show actually seem to maintaining and building a following online, and the BBC is to be getting a strong and steady flow of complaints about the cancellation.

I am the same I simply do not understand the hate for this show, go on the Den of Geeks and the amount of people that do not like this show and there hatred towards is just strange, some have admitted not even watch past the first two episodes.
I got the feeling a lot of hate was simply because it was not a other Doctor Who knock off and that this was serious intelligent Sci-Fi from the BBC.

knowles2
April 10th, 2011, 10:42 AM

Nice review.

I would not quite count this out just yet, this show actually seem to maintaining and building
its following online, and the BBC is said to be getting a strong and steady flow of complaints about the cancellation from the public.

I simply do not understand the hate for this show, go on the Den of Geeks and the amount of people that do not like this show and there hatred towards it is just strange, some have admitted not even watching past the first two episodes.
I got the feeling a lot of hate was simply because it was not a other Doctor Who knock off and that this was serious intelligent Sci-Fi from the BBC.

Ian-S
April 11th, 2011, 10:06 AM

I think that was probably the problem, not enough people of average intelligence to watch it. Most people who usually watch the BBC are like my Dad, and anything that requires you to suspend disbelief or use a bit of imagination they are not interested in, most people young enough to fill those qualifications are probably busy working or watching the lastest reality crap on Channel 4 and the rest of the population are probably asleep being worn out by the extreme energy needed decide who to vote off in the phone poll.

Serious Sci-Fi doesn't really work, especially on BBC, this should have been on BBC2 or BBC3 tbh.

I loved it too.

generaloneill
April 11th, 2011, 04:18 PM

Nice review i too liked Tate's gambit i'd been expecting him to pick Stella, i was surprised by his choice of Jack it's been a very long time since i was surprised by something in a science fiction show where someone did something without informing the audience beforehand with a big chunk of dialogue, maybe because of all the endless talking in SG-1 where they explained in detail everything they were going to do before they did it, this was remedied somewhat in the SG-1 episode Company Of Thieves where Mitchell pulled a fast one on Tenat without telling the audience beforehand http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s10/1009.shtml http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Company_of_Thieves

Anyway here's hoping to series 2 for Outcasts.

Come to think of it one way to bring back Jamie Bamber's character would have been to have the host force take on his appearance, the host force would have plenty of time to copy him before he completely decomposed like it did with the XP it would have been great to see Tate faced with what he thought was the ghost of Mitchell Hoban.

I too liked the scene in the chair at the end of episode 3, that scene gets a strong emotional reaction from me eveytime i see it i like what Tipper said Grainne, Catherine, Sinead, Aoife i love you all.

I liked the character of pak as well the show's writers did a great job of making you bond emotionally with the character.

I liked the captain of CT9 as well what was his name again oh yeah captain kellerman the outcasts wiki gives his first name as invictus which i think is a terrible first name http://bbc-outcasts.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Kellerman

My favourite Kellerman lines

Carpathia this is CT-9 can you hear me Carpathia? Captain Kellerman from CT-9 calling Carpathia we're approaching your atmosphere, are there any human beings out there?

And Tate's speech to the passenger's on CT9

Passengers of CT9 this is president Richard Tate from Forthaven Carpathia, many of you won't know why we named our new planet Carpathia it's to honour the rescue ship that came to pluck survivors out of the freezing seas after the Titanic disaster on Earth, the name reflected the hope we had that our new home would be a similar refuge providing safety and warmth after a time of great danger and we've done our best to achieve that in the 10 years we've been here, we came to a planet where we weren't even sure if we would survive the first days and now our solar engineers have given us energy, our scientists have provided us with food and our expeditionary teams keep making exciting discoveries about our new home, i know you feel as if your in the deepest darkness now but my voice will always be beside you in the light of such a short distance away your not on your own, there are thousands of us down here waiting for you there is warmth and there is safety on Carpathia.

What is it?

Captain Kellerman
They're clapping, people are clapping.

and Captain Kellerman's last words
I can see Carpathia, i can see it all beneath me it looks so, so beautiful.

Ian-S
April 11th, 2011, 05:30 PM
and then he gave them a nice firework display to celebrate :lol:

knowles2
April 18th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Question:

"There are over 1,600 FB members campaigning for Outcasts 2 and 100's of complaints to the BBC. We need a "fix". Any news?"

Ben Richards: (Creator)

"That's fantastic. No news but there are conversations especially given the fabulous reaction from fans. Watch this space."

May be he given us false hope.

I have heard rumour that this show cancellation has gotten a lot of complaints, especially at stage 3 (BBC Trust) far more than the usual number of complaints for cancellation, with shows with much higher ratings figures.

It seem we have made him blink and now we just hope we can make him change his mind.

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
April 18th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I thought the first half of the season was pretty weak and boring - but the second half started to get pretty good and by the end of it I think it had the makings of a really solid sci-fi show. The conceptual idea behind the Aliens was pretty good too, very imaginative.

I thought it was the first good sci-fi tv show the BBC has done since the late 80's personally. I expected it to be dumbed down fast-paced cheese like their other shows (dr who, merlin and robin hood ect) but was surprised that was actually rather intelligent with some solid ideas done in a serious manner. I think it deserves a second season to wrap things up for sure.

Mr Evil 37
April 18th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I didn't watch Outcasts when it started because of the bad reviews, but in the week before the series finale I watched the entire series. I really, really liked it; it was nowhere near as bad as every one said. Sure, it wasn't the best show in the world; some of the acting left much to be desired, but some of it was brilliant. I like my sci-fi dark, gritty and character driven.

The showrunner has said that he wants to conclude Outcasts in a novel. I really hope he manages to do it :)

generaloneill
April 21st, 2011, 11:53 AM
I didn't watch Outcasts when it started because of the bad reviews, but in the week before the series finale I watched the entire series. I really, really liked it; it was nowhere near as bad as every one said. Sure, it wasn't the best show in the world; some of the acting left much to be desired, but some of it was brilliant. I like my sci-fi dark, gritty and character driven.

The showrunner has said that he wants to conclude Outcasts in a novel. I really hope he manages to do it :)

That is exactly why i ignore reviews, if all i ever did was not watch shows because of bad reviews, then i would miss out on a lot, i prefer to make up my own mind about a TV show rather that reading a review written by some faceless person on the internet, reviews should be ignored you should make up your own mind about a TV show, you should make up your own mind about something rather than being influenced by someone else's opinion.

Outcasts series 2 fan made trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A__iV8_eGQc

Outcasts series 2 petition
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/OutcastsSeries2

If you haven't allready done it then sign the petition by liking it on FB and share the links
on your facebook page if you have any or a twitter page if you have one or any other form of social networking that is available to you.

Share the links with friends and post it on any Outcasts sites you come across, i hear there is a fan-site for Outcasts, anyone know the link?

Spread the word by any means necessary, go the whole hog and take out full page ads in newspapers if you like.

KEK
April 23rd, 2011, 08:56 PM
I found the critic reaction to be bizarre to be honest. I suspect the majority of the writers were probably raised on Dr Who, so that's what they think sci-fi is supposed to be. Outcasts being the far superior show in my opinion.

DigiFluid
April 23rd, 2011, 10:04 PM
I found the critic reaction to be bizarre to be honest. I suspect the majority of the writers were probably raised on Dr Who, so that's what they think sci-fi is supposed to be. Outcasts being the far superior show in my opinion.
I think that's an unnecessarily divisive opinion, and just a touch rude if I may say so.

knowles2
April 24th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Sorry it the truth Digifluid.

Look at all the praise Doctor Who is, the only thing they been critising was the story was to complex in the latest episode. If they fine the last Doctor Who episode complex then what chance did they really have of understanding and appreciating Outcasts.

KEK is right everyone was expecting a Doctor Who clone and when the BBC delivered something more complex and in my opinion more creative and overall better quality they all turned against it.

DigiFluid
April 24th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Yeah, um, no.

I love both shows, and remain bitterly disappointed with BBC's mismanagement and resultant cancellation of Outcasts, but that's absurd.

Wayston
April 24th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Dr. Who is made for pretty much all ages, and it's very casual viewer friendly. Outcast was aimed at a more adult public, and not very casual viewer friendly. The biggest mistake Outcast made though, and it's something Dr. Who doesn't make, is that there wasn't enough "oomph" in the first episode(s) to make it must see television for the masses, probably largely due to budgetary reasons there was little in the way of "pew pew pew!!!". Like SGU a respectable amount of people tuned in, and then simply tuned out.

Mr Evil 37
April 24th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Season five and the first episode of season six of Doctor Who have been very deserving of the praise it has been receiving; I love Outcasts, but Doctor Who is still better. I completely understand most of the criticisms Outcasts has been getting, even if I don't agree with them.

knowles2
April 24th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I think I shall sober up before argueing my point. If I even have a point that is. :cameron:

generaloneill
April 25th, 2011, 04:01 PM
There is an amusing question on the Outcasts petition page on facebook, who is your least favourite character in Outcasts

http://www.facebook.com/OutcastsSeries2?sk=questions

With the most votes is the BBC at 142, i voted for BBC i lol'ed when i saw that answer.

Julius Berger got 39 votes
Stella Isen 3 votes
Lily Isen 2 votes
Richard Tate 2 votes
Cass Cromwell 1 vote
Fleur Morgan 1 vote
Jack Holt 1 vote
Tipper Malone 1 vote

The BBC are to me nothing more than :sholva: and i would like nothing more than to vaporise the idiot who cancelled Outcasts with an incoming or outgoing wormhole :mckayanime18:

knowles2
April 26th, 2011, 04:13 AM
May be false hope but according to Facebook the creator is in discussion about a season 2.

generaloneill
April 28th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Ben Richards has replied to some questions over at Save Outcasts site.
http://mattsmemorymumblings.blogspot.com/2011/04/outcasts-interview-with-its-creator-ben.html

There is some very interesting stuff on there about Fleur, Cass, Rudy, Jack, The Host Force and CT-10

Now more than ever i want a second season particularly after reading that.

Puddle-Jumper
April 28th, 2011, 01:36 PM
How is this?? Good/bad?

KEK
April 28th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Good.

generaloneill
April 29th, 2011, 01:24 PM
From Facebook

For those interested, the Outcasts.tv fan-site is now live, though still under construction.
http://www.outcasts.tv/

StayingOccupied
April 29th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I thought the first 5 episodes were too slow and killed it. By the end I was hooked and liked it a lot.

wabbit42
May 1st, 2011, 01:03 PM
I want this show so badly, it was almost on par with SGU in my opinion (second half of series at least).

Just realised I have the series on DVD sitting right next tom me. Know what I'm going to be doing now :).

daniel9
May 13th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Further to all the discussion that happened on this blog on BBC’s Outcasts, show creator Ben Richards kindly agreed to take some questions from me (and various fans who submitted them online). He’s had various commitments holding him up and sends apologies for the delay, but below we have his views on the cancellation, the way the BBC handled it, the audience reaction, sci-fi and its fanbase, the show scheduling and more. Hope you find it enlightening – was v. interesting reading for me.

The “big news” is that Ben’s in discussions with Kudos on a way to resolve the series in a different format! More below.

http://www.division6.co.uk/wp/2011/05/12/interview-with-outcasts-creator-ben-richards/

Fandom Addict
May 13th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I was really disappointed the find out that Outcasts had been cancelled. I was one of those that didn't watch it on the TV, but on iplayer instead. Since I don't watch a lot of TV, I never saw the trailers for it. I only found it by looking randomly through iplayer.

I thought it was a brilliant show and I really wish it had been continued. It would be interesting if it did return, but in a novel format. I'd definately buy it, but I'd love for it to return as a TV show.

Btw, I've seen it on DVD in the shops a few weeks ago if anyone was interested in buying it. I don't have the money to at the moment though. :(

Girlbot
June 12th, 2011, 10:14 AM
It's been cancelled? :eek:
I haven't even seen the first ep on BBC America :(

tshetz
June 12th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Wow, it was canceled? Guess when it airs here in the U.S. I'll have to enjoy the episodes that exist...bummer.