Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jared Padalecki in the running for Conan?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jared Padalecki in the running for Conan?

Earlier in the week, it was reported that "Twilight"'s Kellen Lutz and "Stargate: Atlantis'" Jason Momoa were among the top choices to star in the upcoming "Conan" film. There was also a third choice that was unmentioned...until now.

It is being reported that the star of "Supernatural," Jared Padalecki is also in the running for the leading role.

Directing Conan is Marcus Nispel, who worked with Jared on the 2009 horror flick "Friday the 13th."
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=13900

Oh very interesting

I wouldn't have thought Jared has the time at the moment...but it would certainly raise his profile in Hollywood.

Whenever the name Conan the Barbarian crops up though I think of Arnie Schwarzenegger… the character of Conan being a mindless primitive comic book hero..a big bulky hulk… wielding a sword and destroying all enemies who stand in his way. A character who uses a few grunts instead of a well thought out argument or even an intelligent sentence. Anyhow, that’s my impression…but I’ve never watched the movies.

If that’s the kind of type they want then I don’t think Jared would fit the bill.
    If on the other hand they want to remake the movie based on the original book ( I just did a bit of a research and the character's based on a book written in the 1930's) then he would be an interesting choice. He would make the character more human….more layered…more believable. That’s from what I’ve seen of Jared’s performance’s to date.

But as the director is Marcus Nispel….there doesn’t seem a lot of hope of that because he doesn’t strike me as the subtle type! It would probably end up being a hack and slash movie...not very appealing to me.
    sigpic

Comment

He would definitely be a different take on the character.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

For me it's as simple as this - if it prevents him from doing a S6, NO WAY!!

sigpic
        Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

I don't really know much about Conan is but if Jared can't do it then I'd be happy to see Jason take it.
          sigpic

Twitter
          Whumpers Paradise

Comment

Originally posted by starg8fans View Post
            Definitely...I want S6..with him in it!!

I would have though Supernatural is an actors dream. They get to play alternately, funny, bad, mad, good, heroic...and play around with totally different characters when they're possessed or affected my some weird mojo.

I can't see Jared leaving to play Conan.....
            sigpic

Comment

OH, HELL YEAH!!! I saw him in House of Wax but didn't know who he was then. Wow, this would give me endless happiness, I haven't seen the originals but.. for comparison, might just have to!
              x
              sigpic

Comment

Um... in a word, NO!

Obviously we want Jared to be in S6 if there is one, but I'm just not sure it's the kind of image he'd be able to shake off easily... the same with Jason Momoa. If they want someone to play a mindless meathead, then maybe go with the Twighlight guy, and leave our boys alone! In all seriousness though, I think this is a role for someone starting out and wanting to get their name out there. Jared already has!

sigpic

Comment

Same here! He also isn't the type for a barbarian, beefed up as much as he wants, it just doesn't fit.
                  The cake is a lie!

Comment

Originally posted by LizzieAnne View Post
                    Definitely...I want S6..with him in it!!

I would have though Supernatural is an actors dream. They get to play alternately, funny, bad, mad, good, heroic...and play around with totally different characters when they're possessed or affected my some weird mojo.

I can't see Jared leaving to play Conan.....
                    Very good point, Lizzie. Still, although it's gotten a lot better recently with so many movie stars doing TV, I think being 'just' a TV actor is still only second best. So I can see the temptation for Jared to get a shot at making another movie, even if the role doesn't really appeal to him.

sigpic
                    Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

So I can see the temptation for Jared to get a shot at making another movie, even if the role doesn't really appeal to him.
                      I can't see him doing that, not now. I don't know what his other film roles have been like - they seem to go down well from what I hear - I only have Friday the 13th to work from. Although that wasn't a huge blockbuster, the series has a lot of history, and I think he did well being a part of that. My whole issue is people being typecast, and he needs to do something where he can show off his acting abilities; and not just his looks. I think it would be foolish of him (or any other actor in a similar position) to take a role if his heart's not in it. It can only go downhill from there!

I'm rambling, sorry. But it's still a no from me!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by queen_hathor View Post
                        I can't see him doing that, not now. I don't know what his other film roles have been like - they seem to go down well from what I hear - I only have Friday the 13th to work from. Although that wasn't a huge blockbuster, the series has a lot of history, and I think he did well being a part of that. My whole issue is people being typecast, and he needs to do something where he can show off his acting abilities; and not just his looks. I think it would be foolish of him (or any other actor in a similar position) to take a role if his heart's not in it. It can only go downhill from there!

I'm rambling, sorry. But it's still a no from me!
                        Well his main film roles in recent year have been Friday the 13th, House of Wax, Flight of the Phoenix & Cry Wolf, all have which have been slated, with none of them making a splash at the box office. A good/solid film role wont hurt, tho these no guarantee will be. As either Jared or Jensen said, which was discussed in the general thread a while ago, 5 years on a succesful shows, dosent mean that they can be to picky at what projects to take.

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                          Well his main film roles in recent year have been Friday the 13th, House of Wax, Flight of the Phoenix & Cry Wolf, all have which have been slated, with none of them making a splash at the box office. A good/solid film role wont hurt, tho these no guarantee will be. As either Jared or Jensen said, which was discussed in the general thread a while ago, 5 years on a succesful shows, dosent mean that they can be to picky at what projects to take.
                          There's also the issue of it being a re-make. There's so many of those around over the last few years, it's wearing a bit thin. Unless they plan to do something fantastic with this, it seems a shame for a well known actor to get involved. Of course, Friday the 13th was a re-make (and a relatively poor one at that, Jared being the only character not to make me cringe with embarrassment lol) and if it's the same director, I would hope he does a better job with this one. I've never seen the original Conon... but I've seen clips of it and it doesn't appeal at me at all. My partner really likes it, and when I told him Jared was reportedly up for the role, he was *not* a happy camper!!

sigpic

Comment

Much as I love Jared and want to see him working as much as possible, I just don't see him as this character. And taking a role that doesn't suit him, even a high-profile role like this, could possibly be a detriment to his career. I realise it has to be so hard as an actor to establish yourself as a name in Hollywood, but I always think it is a bad idea to take 'anything' just to be working.

That said, I know very little about Conan outside of the Arnold movies, so maybe there IS a totally different direction they can take the character that WOULD fit Jared. What do I know?!

Hey! Just found my first 'improvement with the redesign! For the last month I had the worst problem trying to get to the smilies. It's a lot easier now!

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
                              Much as I love Jared and want to see him working as much as possible, I just don't see him as this character. And taking a role that doesn't suit him, even a high-profile role like this, could possibly be a detriment to his career. I realise it has to be so hard as an actor to establish yourself as a name in Hollywood, but I always think it is a bad idea to take 'anything' just to be working.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X