Why do I feel cheap, while watching S2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do I feel cheap, while watching S2?

I get it they had very low budget during S1; they pulled out a great season with amount of money they had. I was hoping pure "Awesomeness" in S2 since they got lot more money for it.

But I am very disappointed, Stories are great, but Visual effects are lacking, I feel like I'm watching B-Grade movie from '90s. They need to up there game, with visual effects.

Favorite Characters:
    Babylon 5: Londo Mollari, G'Kar
    Farscape: Rygel, Zhaan
    SG1: Jack O'Neill
    SG-A: Rodney McKay

Favorite Shows In Order:
    Stargate SG-1 | DS9 | Babylon 5 | Farscape | ST:VOY | Firefly |Stargate Universe | Stargate Atlantis | BSG

Originally posted by xcygon View Post
    I get it they had very low budget during S1; they pulled out a great season with amount of money they had. I was hoping pure "Awesomeness" in S2 since they got lot more money for it.

But I am very disappointed, Stories are great, but Visual effects are lacking, I feel like I'm watching B-Grade movie from '90s. They need to up there game, with visual effects.

for me, the effects are secondary. i *do* notice things here and there, but it's a low priority for me.

but story wise, i think they've done a better job in this season (2). i also like their camera style (split screen), but i might be in the minority on that.
    sally

sigpic

Comment

I feel the exact opposite.... I love the visual style, it has a great stylized 'graphic novel' feel to it. While on the other hand, most of the writing in S2 has fallen very flat to say the least.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        I feel the exact opposite.... I love the visual style, it has a great stylized 'graphic novel' feel to it. While on the other hand, most of the writing in S2 has fallen very flat to say the least.
        I feel simliar. With the exception of the multi angle shots I really haven't noticed a change in the visual aspect in Sanctuary S1 vs S2. However the stories this season have been lacking in comparasion to S1. To be fair my standards tend to get raised as new seasons develop.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
          for me, the effects are secondary. i *do* notice things here and there, but it's a low priority for me.

but story wise, i think they've done a better job in this season (2). i also like their camera style (split screen), but i might be in the minority on that.
          I completely agree.

Comment

I don't have a problem with the effects, I know they don't have a hollywood blockbuster budget so I don't have an issue with it. I know it can be obvious on occasions (especially when they run) but hey ho.
            sigpic

Comment

Hey!

What is wrong with the 90s?

I had a lot of fun in that decade

Comment

I found I liked the stoylines in Season 1, the effects may have gotten a bit better, but that is no compensation for story.
                no means no, and so does pepper spray
                Sig by The Carpenter
                sigpic

Comment

I also liked the storylines in Season 1 better than the hodgepodge of the second season. I expected the writing to improve as they got grounded and "got their feet under them" but I haven't found that to be the case. I haven't noticed a particular upgrade or downgrade of the special effects. I guess that means they aren't that important to me.

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
                    Hey!

What is wrong with the 90s?

I had a lot of fun in that decade
                    Nothing wrong with them; I had fun as well. But this is '10 Era
                    even I can do better CGI than the current gfx team; and I suck at it.

as for storyline's; there are plot-hole's, but I'm mostly watching for Amanda
                    Favorite Characters:

Favorite Shows In Order:
                    Stargate SG-1 | DS9 | Babylon 5 | Farscape | ST:VOY | Firefly |Stargate Universe | Stargate Atlantis | BSG

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Agreed.

Comment

I don't post often but just wanted to say that I too feel that season two of Sanctuary has been quite disappointing. And it IS the writing. For me, the effects are what they are: a means to an end. Filming on virtual sets as often as the show does allows them to produce a show on a smaller budget (though it should be noted that there have been a lot more real/outdoor sets and shots used this season). It doesn't enrage me every time Will runs down a hallway at a slightly askance angle nor do I hurl objects at my tv every time Magnus shines a flashlight at the camera. No, I'm keeping my supply of random, blunt objects in reserve for the next time the Sanctuary gets hacked via the use of a cell phone. Or the next time the writers decide to kill off a character "just because". Or the next time Magnus and Will are trapped together alone and only have each other to count on, because as well all know, that's the way you really "develop a relationship organically".

Season two of Sanctuary has been almost totally deficient when it comes to the writing. There is absolutely no long form story for this show. There is not one single relationship between the characters on this show that has been given an iota of development this season. Everyone is exactly the same as they were when it started. Even worse, everyone is closer to the characters they were when season one began than they are to the somewhat fleshed out folks they were at the close of last year.

There has been an obvious creative decision to ignore (and even in most cases erase) the significance of "The Five" mythology this year in favor of the wifty notion that there is now a Global Sanctuary Syndicate Of Secret (sort of) Bases in Every Single City Ever. And that's it. No, really. That's the story now. There are sanctuaries. In other cities. They got 'em. All over. Cool, right? Oh, and they're secret. Wow! Except for the governments of the countries the secret sanctuaries are located in. Oh, and except for the cabal. Yeah, that's it. Oh, and except for freelance, mercenary operatives like Kate. Right, that's it, definitely. No doubt about it. Yeah, and some low class gangsters like the hilariously named Duke and Constantine. But that's definitely it. Until the next script requires a blind stripling who wanders the streets of Dublin tuning pianos to know just where the Dublin sanctuary is located. Then he'll know too.

But it's not just the boldfaced unreality of it all. No, the writers have very handily managed to make Helen just plain ordinary. It's not her Sanctuary anymore. It's not her life's work to help abnormals anymore. She's not even in charge of the Sanctuary network. Hell, she's just as capable of being booted out on her ass as Will (who really does need to be booted out on his ass if things don't get better with him soon). What started as the concept of "a sanctuary for abnormals" has effectively been turned into one great big global bureaucracy. Helen has been recast this season in the role of a monster hunter, barely sparing a thought for the safety or future of abnormals. Now each abnormal is another trophy, a notch in the belt both for the show and for writers. They tackled vampires and werewolves in season one, and that's par for the course. But this season we've been treated to a delightful bevy of creatures including ogre guy (RIP), scorpion thing (RIP), squid thing (RIP), super Cabal made abnormals (RIP), including Ashely (RIP, sadly), Pouch Guy??? (RIP), and the bizarre flying bug with the head of Robert Rothman (sadly, not RIP) that was the crappiest attempt at comedy imaginable in an episode about the death Magnus' beloved daughter. And not one of those abnormals has been treated with the same care and unique story that we saw in Folding Man or Edward. All we've gotten is Andromeda level interaction this year, the kind where plot and story structure seem to end up on the opposite ends of town.

Hey, whatever. The show still has an a lot of substance. I think. I'm not sure, though, because it does look a little flashy, what with all the imaginative split screening, five frames at once look. And Will is much more well rounded than last year. I think. I'm not sure, though, because the most I can say about him is that he imaginatively seems to get his kit off in at least half the episodes. And Henry's still a werewolf. I think. I'm not sure, though, because imaginatively we haven't seen him struggle with that (or transform) at all this season. And Tesla is still a vampire. Oh, right, never mind on that one. But Helen is still 150 years old. I think. I'm not sure though, because imaginatively we haven't had any flashbacks to previous events in her life at all this season. And well, you get the drift.

Comment

^^ green
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

You've said a lot of what I was thinking in a far better way that I could have put it. I love Sanctuary, I eagerly await each episode and am thrilled that there will be a S3 but yeah, the changing premise/history is bugging me. The original possibility of The Five had so much potential but it's been changed so much and I think their losses have weakend the show. They would have been a force to be reakoned with and it would have been thrilling to see them interact as a group.

It does really bug me as well how many people/organisations we now know have knowlege of the Sanctuary network. We started with it all seeming to be very secretive but it's like only the average joe on the street is in the dark now. I mean if the UN knows that much about it that Helen has briefing requests you'd think that they would be assisting Helen more actively. After all the point of the show is that the abby's are people as well who need protecting. If the UN knew you'd think they would be helping to protect them.

Also Helen's change in status is dissapointing. She's gone from the perception of being the main man (as it where) who had heads running the other Sanctuaries in her stead to it seeming like they are all autonomous and that she's only a nominal figurehead.
                            sigpic

Comment

episode 12 was surprisingly good, very good.
                              Favorite Characters:

Favorite Shows In Order:

Comment

Working...
                              X