This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official BMC EU Thread

Since i cant see another one im creating this one.

The Official Bill McCay Expanded Universe thread.

Basically we'll talk about the five books he did which follow on from the film, not the show.

I find the way the gods work interesting compared to the Goa'Ulds, Ra was the only alien and the other gods would simply be replaced by some cool and strong humans.
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

surely more than myself have read the book?
    sigpic

Comment

Why not ask questions about the books then? I'll be glad to answer any questions!
      sigpic

Comment

Can you tell something about the book?? Haven't read or know about it
        Lord Zedd

Comment

Originally posted by _Anubis
          Can you tell something about the book?? Haven't read or know about it
          Well what do you want to know? anything specifc?
          sigpic

Comment

How strongly do you recommend the books?

How good are they as science fiction?

I for one am not somebody who reads Trek novels, nor would I read Stargate novels based on the show. The level of the scifi in the show just doesn't hold up to my expectations for a book.... I am more of a Frank Herbert, Larry Niven, and other very thought provoking science fiction author fan than the pulp we see on the screen (which is made palatable only by special effects, cool sets, interesting make-up, etc.).

Now I could see a continuation based on the film being quite good potentially, as the film introduced MOST of the cool ideas that have kept SG-1 the show going for a decade now.

So how do the books rank in that regard? Good scifi? Or just enjoyable pulp?

Comment

It's really good, as both a sci-fi book and stargate book. It's better than the other SG1 novels, exclusing Matter of Honour which are to par.

its interesting as an SG1 fan aswell because of the different path it takes and the different way the 'gods' are set up and characterised. It's well worth hunting down a copy of them. Took me a few years but then I ran into the first 4 of the 5, also including the novel on the film and brought them for around £40 on ebay. Well worth it.

I also read Trek novels, but as I said, these books, well at least the first 3 are really good and better than other books based on shows and such!
              sigpic

Comment

Comeon guys, your chance to ask any questions regarding the Bill McKay Expanded Universe !
                sigpic

Comment

I recently read Resistance. Nice to see real warmaking instead of squeaky clean SG-1. I have one question, are they grittier and more interesting than SG-1?

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
                  - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

Yeah, they are really. It's such a nice contract with the nicer sg1 books,
                    sigpic

Comment

Constrast you mean

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"

Comment

same differences. theres quite a bit of gritty stuff when hathor comes down on abydos.
                        sigpic

Comment

I bet there is .

Comment

Which universe do you prefer?

Comment

Originally posted by Panther
                              Which universe do you prefer?
                              Im not sure....I like them both as SG1 is more deverse but BMC is smaller and different...I like them both but prefer the BMC as a book series tot he SG1 books!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X