PDA

View Full Version : Is Andromeda Worth Buying?

Coco Pops
January 6th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I'm keen to find out about this show.

Is it worth it buying the series. I've seen it advertised for $199 here where I live in a special triangle shaped tin.

The price seems good for a 30 disk set. So what is the actual show like?

jelgate
January 6th, 2010, 05:00 PM
My personal opinion no. The idea is a good one but the execution was terrible. But the end of the series I felt like I had wasted a bunch of time. I will say this though S1 is top notch. But as with any series opinions differ.

Amalthea
January 6th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Andromeda was an interesting idea that went downhill very fast. That's a lot of money to spend. Maybe rent a few episodes first to see if you like the ideas before sinking that much cash into something you've never seen.

DigiFluid
January 6th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I've only seen season 1, and it was alright. Seemed like an idea with a ton of potential. I haven't heard a lot of good things about seasons 2-5 though.

Col.Foley
January 6th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Andromeda was an interesting idea that went downhill very fast. That's a lot of money to spend. Maybe rent a few episodes first to see if you like the ideas before sinking that much cash into something you've never seen.
I agree.

I will add though that the first three seasons are worth that much money, and good swathes of the fourth...and the last episode

AresLover452
January 6th, 2010, 11:29 PM
S1-3 are really good, 4 & 5 are not worth the time to see. S-5 is really a waste of time, made no sense and had no point.

But i do recommend S1-3.

Alan Wake
January 7th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I'd say Andromeda is worth a headache and maybe a week old chocolate chip cookie.

Pharaoh Atem
January 7th, 2010, 12:47 AM
i've never seen it but from what i've been told it's very cheesy and the first 3 seasons are the best

SaberBlade
January 7th, 2010, 04:51 AM
After each season, it just got worse and worse. Personally I feel it suffered the same fate as Earth:Final Conflict (like Andromeda, it was another posthumous Roddenberry show). Just as each season went on, it just had me losing interest. I could find myself watching it with nothing else to do but even then, I would not pay much attention to it. I don't think I even watched more than 3 episodes of season 5 of Andromeda.

It's definitely a show you'd want to watch on Hulu (if they have it) and keep your money for something better.

Girlbot
January 7th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I have to agree with most of the other posters I loved the first few seasons, but the last one was not much and was very disjointed.
I would say rent the first season and see for yourself. I did love it though, but then I love most Sci Fi. I loved the original concept, I loved the ship, and I loved the avatar. Kevin Sorbo wasn't too bad either :D

iheartshep
January 7th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I did own some of the earlier seasons but haven't seen any of the last season at all.

If Netflix has it, I may rent it just so I can say I watched the whole thing. I don't mind Kevin Sorbo either. *wink*

IHS

EvilSpaceAlien
January 7th, 2010, 08:33 AM
It's just an okay show.
It's something that I would watch on a rainy afternoon, but in my opinion, it's nothing worth buying. The only character I really liked was Rommie/Andromeda, the other ones just fell flat to me. I do agree with he other men, women, and variations thereupon, who have posted here, that the series got worse as it progressed.

In the end it's up to you, but as I said, I don't think it's worth buying.

Linda06
January 7th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I'd have to agree with the others here. Great concept, good show but didn't really reach it's full potential. The last season was bad though...It was....pointless? Oh heck I'm not sure what the last season was supposed to be :S

Linda06
January 7th, 2010, 11:08 AM
It's just an okay show.
It's something that I would watch on a rainy afternoon, but in my opinion, it's nothing worth buying. The only character I really liked was Rommie/Andromeda, the other ones just fell flat to me. I do agree with he other men, women, and variations thereupon, who have posted here, that the series got worse as it progressed.

In the end it's up to you, but as I said, I don't think it's worth buying.

I liked Rommie too :D And Rhade :D What? He was HOT!!! :D *iz not shallow* :p

AresLover452
January 7th, 2010, 11:51 AM
i've never seen it but from what i've been told it's very cheesy and the first 3 seasons are the best

S4&5 were really bad.

I'd have to agree with the others here. Great concept, good show but didn't really reach it's full potential. The last season was bad though...It was....pointless? Oh heck I'm not sure what the last season was supposed to be :S

S5 had no point I think that after Wolfe left the writing team at the end of S3 is just went down hill from there.

I liked Rommie, Beka, Tyr (hawtness), Harper and Trance (purple trance)

Linda06
January 7th, 2010, 02:30 PM
S5 had no point I think that after Wolfe left the writing team at the end of S3 is just went down hill from there.

Oh that's right, I forgot he left. Yep that would have been about the time it went downhill :S

I liked Rommie, Beka, Tyr (hawtness), Harper and Trance (purple trance)

I liked them too. I liked all of them. But I liked some more than others :D Ooh Tyr, nother hottie :D Yeah it's been a while since I saw it so my memory isn't the greatest :o (shut up Jel :p)

Dakota Bob
January 7th, 2010, 03:34 PM
After each season, it just got worse and worse. Personally I feel it suffered the same fate as Earth:Final Conflict (like Andromeda, it was another posthumous Roddenberry show). Just as each season went on, it just had me losing interest. I could find myself watching it with nothing else to do but even then, I would not pay much attention to it. I don't think I even watched more than 3 episodes of season 5 of Andromeda.

It's definitely a show you'd want to watch on Hulu (if they have it) and keep your money for something better.

+1 for this.

KEK
January 7th, 2010, 05:11 PM
It's the worst type of cheesy scifi, not fun cheesy, cringe cheesy. Ewsh.

AresLover452
January 7th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Oh that's right, I forgot he left. Yep that would have been about the time it went downhill :S

I liked them too. I liked all of them. But I liked some more than others :D Ooh Tyr, nother hottie :D Yeah it's been a while since I saw it so my memory isn't the greatest :o (shut up Jel :p)

S4 was shaky, but 5 was terrible. when i re-watch the series i just go till mid point of S3... lol!! the end of S1 has to be my favorite what with those Trillion septic Magog, that was good.

Tyr is my fave Neitzchean and i happen to be a Beka/Tyr shipper... lol!!

Insipid
January 7th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Considering it slowly devolved into Hercules: In Space, it is not worth your time.

Ar3s
January 7th, 2010, 05:24 PM
The shows not too bad but $199 seems a bit steep for it tho

AresLover452
January 7th, 2010, 05:37 PM
The shows not too bad but $199 seems a bit steep for it tho

I got all five seasons for $100, it was a X-mas gift that my mom told me to go ahead and get for myself.

Replicator Todd
January 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I loved Andromeda, but I'm not buying the DVDs until they get a good and not so pricey release.

Coco Pops
January 7th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I loved Andromeda, but I'm not buying the DVDs until they get a good and not so pricey release.

This is the set in question
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/801081

I agree too sounds like a rip off

EvilSpaceAlien
January 8th, 2010, 01:09 AM

That would be a lie. :jack_new15:

Linda06
January 8th, 2010, 07:46 AM
S4 was shaky, but 5 was terrible. when i re-watch the series i just go till mid point of S3... lol!! the end of S1 has to be my favorite what with those Trillion septic Magog, that was good.

Tyr is my fave Neitzchean and i happen to be a Beka/Tyr shipper... lol!!

S5 was unbelievably awful :eek: I can't believe I watched the whole season. I guess I was hoping something worthwhile would happen :SAnd Rommie wasn't in it for most of the season :( I missed her :(
Ooh all those Magog, that was awesome :D And a little scary :p

Oh I liked them together, I was kinda hoping they'd get together :o

That would be a lie. :jack_new15:

No it's not *adjusts halo* :D

EvilSpaceAlien
January 8th, 2010, 07:48 AM
No it's not *adjusts halo* :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-ExhlX06o

Proof:
http://www.pinkraygun.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/SGU-greer-naked-2.jpg
*sits back and watches Linda's reaction*

Linda06
January 8th, 2010, 11:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-ExhlX06o

Proof:
http://www.pinkraygun.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/SGU-greer-naked-2.jpg
*sits back and watches Linda's reaction*

http://www.smilescollection.com/smiles/action/sc_589.gif

See, my halo is so bright it even shines from galaxies away :D

AresLover452
January 8th, 2010, 12:40 PM
S5 was unbelievably awful :eek: I can't believe I watched the whole season. I guess I was hoping something worthwhile would happen :SAnd Rommie wasn't in it for most of the season :( I missed her :(
Ooh all those Magog, that was awesome :D And a little scary :p

Oh I liked them together, I was kinda hoping they'd get together :o

I can't believe I even watched S5 either!!

i have a fanfic going for Beka and Tyr (well not even done Ch.1 yet) But I have it as Beka being a Neitzchean all along only her pride was nearly wiped out so she had to hide amongst humans.

EvilSpaceAlien
January 8th, 2010, 12:54 PM
http://www.smilescollection.com/smiles/action/sc_589.gif

See, my halo is so bright it even shines from galaxies away :D

Is that huge thing that is thousands of times brighter than the sun?.... Never mind, it's just McKay's ego. :mckay:

Sorry, can't see it. :p

Linda06
January 8th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I can't believe I even watched S5 either!!

i have a fanfic going for Beka and Tyr (well not even done Ch.1 yet) But I have it as Beka being a Neitzchean all along only her pride was nearly wiped out so she had to hide amongst humans.

mmmm that sounds really interesting :D I'd have to check that out, when you eventually write it ;)

AresLover452
January 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM
mmmm that sounds really interesting :D I'd have to check that out, when you eventually write it ;)

I have it on a word Document, but I haven't posted Ch.1 yet... lol!! But when I get it posted I will send you the link... lol!!

Linda06
January 9th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Is that huge thing that is thousands of times brighter than the sun?.... Never mind, it's just McKay's ego. :mckay:

Sorry, can't see it. :p

Oh.....Well my halo can't compete with McKays ego :eek:

I have it on a word Document, but I haven't posted Ch.1 yet... lol!! But when I get it posted I will send you the link... lol!!

Cool, I look forward to it. I need some new fics to read. I'm fedup reading the same one's over and over again :o

AresLover452
January 10th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I think Beka and Tyr were my fave ship from Andromeda.... the just had that... you know connection.

SBN
January 10th, 2010, 07:26 PM
When the show first aired I gave up on it after the first couple of episodes. In fact the first episode was enough for me. I absolutely hated the casting, and some of the creative decisions. I guess I am in the minority in thinking the whole Magog was poorly conceived, if not executed (IMO the same for the Wraith).

But the show was syndicated, so it was somewhat difficult to miss. Over the years I would catch an episode or two and it just did not interest me. A few years after it ended I came across the full DVD set, given to me for free. It sat for a while, then I can not explain what propelled me to start watching, but I did. I will now say that watching a few episodes is a turn off to this show, yet watching the full series is somewhat filling to say the least. Maybe it is because this is one of the rare Scifi/genre shows that actually ran it's full course and was not prematurely ended.

The final season could be confusing if you did not pay attention, lost focus, or simply did not remember certain aspects. It was a dramatic shift in theme, but overall it did fit into the overall arc. This show did have one hell of a story arc, which may be the sole reason why I can say I actually liked the show.

I would also like to point something out I always found extremely interesting, and that is the show had top notch special effects. In fact it seemed this show had a higher budget for FX than most, including BSG and Stargate which re-used the same sets, and same Canadian woods. For it's day, and considering the budget they must have had, what they did was simply astounding. Practically gives most other shows no excuse for their limited or pathetic FX.

In the end, just try and catch a few episodes on syndication. Try and rent a few episodes, maybe through Netflix. I can't say this show should be recomended any more than many other shows simply because it will come down to personal tastes. Ditto the same for SG1, which is just not everyone's cup of tea.