This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZPM's and Atlantis

Shouldn't there be information in the Atlantis Database on how to create ZPM's? Or some area or workshop or machine in Atlantis that makes them? The ZPM's get their power from sub-space, so it would stand to reason you would need some fancy equipment to make them. Or maybe the ancients took the machine with them when they fled back to earth. Why hasnt McKay ever mentioned why there is no way to create thee things in the Ancients MAIN city? What are your thoughts?

even if we knew exactly how to make them, our materials would never be able to handle the vast energies coming from it.

it's like assembling an MP3 player with wood, rope, and some iron ore

Comment

Originally posted by Roachless View Post
      Shouldn't there be information in the Atlantis Database on how to create ZPM's? Or some area or workshop or machine in Atlantis that makes them? The ZPM's get their power from sub-space, so it would stand to reason you would need some fancy equipment to make them. Or maybe the ancients took the machine with them when they fled back to earth. Why hasnt McKay ever mentioned why there is no way to create thee things in the Ancients MAIN city? What are your thoughts?
      They're always finding things in the Ancient database. It's not as simple as typing "how to make ZPMs". The Asgard poured through the database/repository and only scratched the surface.
      How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

Well another issue is they have to figure out what the ancients called them. Even in the ep Before I Sleep, the real name for them wasn't revealed. Eventaully they'll probably find out the how to create and maybe even repower the depleted ones. (cause i doubt that those just got thrown out)

Comment

Why hasnt McKay ever mentioned why there is no way to create thee things in the Ancients MAIN city? What are your thoughts?
          that might be why.
          why have a machine to create things in your main city? we don't have all our manufacturing plants in our capital cities? there might be some on the outskirts but not actually in it.
          i say the ancient might of done the same thing, have the manufacturing plants on other planets.

oh and if we can make ZPMs then we're going to be a bit too powerful, having spare ZPMs lying around.

Comment

True, but we have power centers in or close to our cities. I would think the Ancients must have a machine that makes or at least recharges ZPM's.. the team just havsnt found it yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Werewolfhero View Post
              Well another issue is they have to figure out what the ancients called them. Even in the ep Before I Sleep, the real name for them wasn't revealed. Eventaully they'll probably find out the how to create and maybe even repower the depleted ones. (cause i doubt that those just got thrown out)
              actually, finding the name would be really easy because yo just open up the city specs and go to where the zpm room is and it should say that this room houses the and then insert their word for zpms and then you just search the database for info on them.
              STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

True, but we have power centers in or close to our cities. I would think the Ancients must have a machine that makes or at least recharges ZPM's.. the team just havsnt found it yet!
                first of all, a zpm produces power from an artificially created region of subspace time and essientally a mini universe in a bottle so it cant really be recharged because to do that would be creating another mini universe and if your gonna do that you might as well just make another containment vessel.

secondly, as ive said many times before, just because we might be able to find the lab in which they made zpms with all of their notes dosent mean that we would be able to make one because creating a zpm most likely requires complex equations, as well as understanding the physics behind creating an artificial region of subspace time which i believe for the moment is just beyond us. i mean just because we can understand some of the ancients stuff dosnet mean we can understand all of it. most of their tech that we use and repair were only able to do because their based on pricniples that are common to all techs like that such as shields and engines and whatnot but even if we found all of their info on zpms i think its a pipe dream to actually think we could make heads or tails of the physics behind them let alone be able to make one.
                STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

It may be beyond us, but it wasnt beyond the Ancients. I really doubt that they calculated by hand each ZPM before they made it. I would hazard a guess that they have a machine or a lab in Atlantis somewhere, that does that for them.

Comment

It may be beyond us, but it wasnt beyond the Ancients. I really doubt that they calculated by hand each ZPM before they made it. I would hazard a guess that they have a machine or a lab in Atlantis somewhere, that does that for them.
                    yes, but it could be that making each zpm requires precise calculations that vary slightly for each zpm and the associated artificially created region of subspace time, and its not just a one equation for all thing and that equation requires understanding on a level so high above us right now its not even funny.

remember, these devices lasted for tens of thousands of years so they wouldnt have to make them really quickly, and i seriously doubt that theres any sort of machine waiting to be switched on and pump out zpms like a broken gum ball machine, as much as we'd all like it to be that way, i just think that the process is way more involved than that.
                    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by Werewolfhero View Post
                      Well another issue is they have to figure out what the ancients called them. Even in the ep Before I Sleep, the real name for them wasn't revealed.
                      That's because we heard everyone speaking English when they would have been speaking Ancient. This includes Weir. By rights the original Weir should have been able to tell everyone the Ancient name for them because she'd have heard it when she was with the Ancients.

There should be no difficulty finding out the Ancient name for ZPMs even without that. The city has the Holo Room. From The Pegasus Project -

http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co...%22_Transcript

WEIR: The program was designed to teach very young children the Lantian systems.

This information would have included ZPMs because they were the city's power source. Once McKay and his team knew the Ancient name they could have found the information in the main data base even if it turned out that Earth humans didn't have the means to make them.
                      sigpic

Comment

My guess is the forwarded the speccs to Earth and Area 51, they just havent had much luck reverse engineering one. And its probably a dangerous process judging by Arcturus. I always thought they make them in a lab when they need one. Its not like Ancients used them up very quickly. Itd be like making factory to produce the mona lisa, its just not cost effective.

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
                          remember, these devices lasted for tens of thousands of years so they wouldnt have to make them really quickly, and i seriously doubt that theres any sort of machine waiting to be switched on and pump out zpms like a broken gum ball machine, as much as we'd all like it to be that way, i just think that the process is way more involved than that.
                          The show is a bit contradictary on that one. On the one side we got the Asurans (a wayward 'tool' of the Ancients), that greated vast amounts of ZPMs 'out of thin air', Considering the nanite table was able to create something so complex as a human form replicator, it seems a bit odd, that the Ancients wouldn't have used the same technique to create ZPMs. Then again...they might have thought of the whole replicator technology as a failure after the Asuran desaster.

On the other side we got ZPMs being hidden away to await the Ancients possible return... like the one in 'Brotherhood'. If they could massproduce them...why stash away single ZPMs on backwater planets?

Another thought : The ability to create ZPMs might have been lost to the Ancients too. When the Ancients left Atlantis, they were already a 'dying' race. They did not evolve any further.
                          Aside from Janus...maybe their greatest minds were already dead or ascended. What was left of the Ancients was just the few, that didn't achieve ascension yet.
                          sigpic
                          Thanks for the Sig go to the talented Fainne
                          Spoiler:
                          Which Supernatural character are you? (I hate those things..but sadly it fits )
                          You're John! You are skilled and smart, but world-weary and a little jaded. You're a serial monogamist, and you love hard. You can sometimes be a little too narrow-minded, and stubborn to a fault, but your heart is always in the right place.

The GateWorld Cantina - Kara : Runner gone Wraith gone Wraith Queen gone human barmaid

Comment

it's safe to say that the wraith exterminated the ZPM factories first.

also, a ZPM has a long lifetime. by normal energy use (no battle) a ZPM can last eons. the ancients probably made them by hand, or one at a time, just because once one was depleted they could've made ten replacements in the thousands of years

Comment

Working...
                            X