Other races technologically advancing so much is insulting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other races technologically advancing so much is insulting

To me, one of the main things about SG1, and some Atlantis, was that it turned the primitive Earth-Humans into the most technologically advanced race in two galaxies, after the death of the Asgard. Hell, that was part of what gave their death meaning; they died giving us everything they had.

Yet here, the stupid tacked on explanation that the Lucian Alliance had advanced so much they could match a Daedalus-class ship is insulting to everything that came before it.

It would have been better, imo, if they had just thrown in a line saying it either wasn't finished, or had been taken by suprise and heavily damaged. Not that "all the races are advancing and can now take on Asgard-level ships".

Your thoughts?

There are other threads on this.

The reason the Hammond was so ineffective against the Lucian Alliance is that it was not finished. 'Air' takes place a week or so after 'Enemy at the Gate' where if you remember the Hammond was not complete enough to engage the super hive. It was rushed into service as Earth's fleet is away from Earth, either badly damaged or on a 'secret mission.'

The Hammond was not fitted with APBW's or a fully functional hyperdrive, did you notice it took a very long time to travel twenty one light years? Which is a very short trip for an Asgard hyperdrive.
    Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Comment

Originally posted by Freyr View Post
      To me, one of the main things about SG1, and some Atlantis, was that it turned the primitive Earth-Humans into the most technologically advanced race in two galaxies, after the death of the Asgard. Hell, that was part of what gave their death meaning; they died giving us everything they had.

Yet here, the stupid tacked on explanation that the Lucian Alliance had advanced so much they could match a Daedalus-class ship is insulting to everything that came before it.

It would have been better, imo, if they had just thrown in a line saying it either wasn't finished, or had been taken by suprise and heavily damaged. Not that "all the races are advancing and can now take on Asgard-level ships".

Your thoughts?
      Might I also add - not every Daedalus class ship is of Oddyssey's calibre. Only the one has the Asgard core.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
        Might I also add - not every Daedalus class ship is of Oddyssey's calibre. Only the one has the Asgard core.
        Yes, but every one seen since the Hammond has had Asgard weapons and shields. The Odyssey undoubtedly is more powerful due to not only having the Asgard core but a ZPM, but, they are all equipped with the highest level Asgard technology.

Comment

Originally posted by malfunction View Post
          There are other threads on this.

The reason the Hammond was so ineffective against the Lucian Alliance is that it was not finished. 'Air' takes place a week or so after 'Enemy at the Gate' where if you remember the Hammond was not complete enough to engage the super hive. It was rushed into service as Earth's fleet is away from Earth, either badly damaged or on a 'secret mission.'

The Hammond was not fitted with APBW's or a fully functional hyperdrive, did you notice it took a very long time to travel twenty one light years? Which is a very short trip for an Asgard hyperdrive.
          Mallozzi himself was the one who stated that the other races had advanced enough to reach humanity's tech level.

Comment

And here I was thinking that the Hammond had indeed been taken by surprise, as I remember Sam saying that the Lucian Alliance just came out of hyperspace with multiple ships and immediately started firing on them. It looks to me as if the Hammond still put up one hell of a fight even while it was rushed into service as malfunction explained. And as for J.M.'s statement, while before the Hammond would have been able to wipe out the LA's fleet with a few marked shot, now the LA's technology (I'm thinking of their shield technology, which did progress as seen in SG1) has progressed further so that this isn't possible anymore, however who's to say that the Hammond and Earth-Asgard-inherited technology isn't still superior? Who's to say the Hammond did indeed not destroy a few of the LA's ship? Also, the Hammond's mission under SC wasn't to fight off the LA, but to rescue the people stranded on Icarus and to prevent the Kel'Tak and Al'Kesh from reaching the surface of the planet, so they were pretty much occupied doing that instead of firing on the LA's main ships in orbit firing on them.
            A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
              And here I was thinking that the Hammond had indeed been taken by surprise, as I remember Sam saying that the Lucian Alliance just came out of hyperspace with multiple ships and immediately started firing on them. It looks to me as if the Hammond still put up one hell of a fight even while it was rushed into service as malfunction explained. And as for J.M.'s statement, while before the Hammond would have been able to wipe out the LA's fleet with a few marked shot, now the LA's technology (I'm thinking of their shield technology, which did progress as seen in SG1) has progressed further so that this isn't possible anymore, however who's to say that the Hammond and Earth-Asgard-inherited technology isn't still superior? Who's to say the Hammond did indeed not destroy a few of the LA's ship? Also, the Hammond's mission under SC wasn't to fight off the LA, but to rescue the people stranded on Icarus and to prevent the Kel'Tak and Al'Kesh from reaching the surface of the planet, so they were pretty much occupied doing that instead of firing on the LA's main ships in orbit firing on them.

You've got a lot of good points, and most of it makes sense. I don't dispute that.

Just one question. Where was it said that it was rushed into service? That obviously fits the facts, especially the time-frame of the series compared to Atlantis, but I have yet to see one official source say that.

Comment

Just one question. Where was it said that it was rushed into service? That obviously fits the facts, especially the time-frame of the series compared to Atlantis, but I have yet to see one official source say that.
                I don't understand what you are asking here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                  I don't understand what you are asking here.
                  Um, where was it said that the Hammond was rushed into service?

Unless it's stated in the show or stated/ret-conned (like the Destiny's age) by a writer/producer, then it isn't canon and not true in the story's universe itself.

Comment

Um, where was it said that the Hammond was rushed into service?

Unless it's stated in the show or stated/ret-conned (like the Destiny's age) by a writer/producer, then it isn't canon and not true in the story's universe itself.
                    Well J.M. who is a writer and exec. prod. said that there's only a week or so between EatG and Air. It was also confirmed on screen that the Hammond wasn't finished at the time of EatG. So then logically The Hammond was rushed into service 'cause being readied in one week is being rushed into service. If you want to know for sure, like as in see or hear on screen, that will never happen 'cause they need their screen time for other things and if you want to hear it from an exec. prod. or writer, go ask J.M. on his blog.

Comment

i appreciate what they did with the battle. it was like an apology to the ha'taks for getting beaten so many times in sg-1's later seasons
                      R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Working...
                      X