Scientific Names for Stargate Aliens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scientific Names for Stargate Aliens?

This is only a light-hearted thread, especially aimed at those of you who are good with latin or zoology: anybody got any ideas for scientific names for the various alien life forms in Stargate, as in Homo sapiens, Pan troglodytes etc?

I'm primarily thinking Goa'uld, Jaffa, Asgard, Unas and Wraith, but hey, if it's in Stargate, it's living and it's not human, it's eligible!

Would Jaffa count as a separate species in the genus Homo, or as a human subspecies? Or an entirely separate genus, even?
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Homo Jaffa

Comment

Wraith = Homo iratus

Ancients = Homo anquietas
      Last edited by Control_Chair; 16 December 2009, 06:15 AM.
      "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
      "That he is concealing something."
      "Like what?"
      "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
      "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
      "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
      "I liked that movie!"

Comment

try comeing up with one for the asgard.
        tollans: homo tollanas

Comment

Originally posted by timstro59 View Post
          Asgard = Vegrandis polleo?

I'm using this English to Latin translator and this Latin definitions site. But is it as simple as that? I don't know Latin grammar, for a start!

Also, aren't Tollans humans? Maybe Homo sapiens tollanus?

EDIT: Ah! Goa'uld = Dolosus somesraptor...Deceitful body thief!
          Last edited by Sealurk; 15 December 2009, 06:26 AM.
          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
          sigpic
          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by timstro59 View Post
            Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
            Asgard = Vegrandis polleo?

I'm using this English to Latin translator and this Latin definitions site. But is it as simple as that? I don't know Latin grammar, for a start!

Also, aren't Tollans humans? Maybe Homo sapiens tollanus?

EDIT: Ah! Goa'uld = Dolosus somesraptor...Deceitful body thief!
            The Tollan are humans, and presumably at the same stage of genetic evolution as Earthlings are, barring the idea of genetic manipulation or descended Ancients reproducing with the Tollan.
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

For the Asgard Provectus Sapienus Patronus....Advanced Wise Protectors

And the Jaffa Preliator Uterus...Warrior Womb
              "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                The Tollan are humans, and presumably at the same stage of genetic evolution as Earthlings are, barring the idea of genetic manipulation or descended Ancients reproducing with the Tollan.
                Are Tollans Humans like :
                - descendants of Earth Humans who got there through the Stargate. In that case they'd be homo somehing.

- genetically engineered human-like aliens like those in Pegasus hence would be rather a separate species with a new name?
                La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Originally posted by lord groovy View Post
                  - genetically engineered human-like aliens like those in Pegasus hence would be rather a separate species with a new name?
                  If they are engineered to be genetically identical to Homo Sapiens, shouldn't they be Homo Sapiens? Or like Homo Sapiens Constructus? (Yes I made that up)
                  Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                    - descendants of Earth Humans who got there through the Stargate. In that case they'd be homo somehing.

Originally posted by sunrek View Post
                    If they are engineered to be genetically identical to Homo Sapiens, shouldn't they be Homo Sapiens? Or like Homo Sapiens Constructus? (Yes I made that up)
                    I think all humans in Stargate would come under Homo sapiens, because they are all direct descendents of cultures transplanted from Earth millennia ago. Since the humans on Earth exhibit a startling range of variety due to environmental adaptation but are all Homo sapiens sapiens (from a purely biological standpoint, we are all the same species, but different 'breeds'), I'd think that extends to humans on other worlds.

Unless they have been genetically modified or have drastically evolved in the intervening millennia (like the Enkarans, perhaps, or even Jonas' race), they are likely all still Homo sapiens sapiens, or Anatomically Modern Humans.

I'd say that since Jaffa were genetically engineered from human stock but quite drastically altered (pouch, lifespan, hardiness, muscle mass are all distinctly non-human) are closely related hominids within the genus Homo, but are neither human nor a sub-species - so maybe Homo preliator or Homo uterus to follow Shpinxinator's lead.

Wraith are a tricky one. Are Wraith Iratus bugs who absorbed human/Ancient DNA, or humans/Ancients who absorbed Iratus DNA? If the former, then they may be in the Iratus genus, but if the latter, they may just fall into the Homo genus. More likely they are so, so different they constitute an entirely new genus separate from either Iratus bugs or humans/Ancients.

This is all just my opinion - someone who understands zoological taxonomy and classification would be better at sorting it.

I may have to rethink the Goa'uld species name I came up with, Dolosus somesraptor ("Deceitful Body thief") because that would apply to the Tok'ra too and I don't think they'd appreciate it!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Replicators (or any AI): Techno Sapiens

Comment

Here are my proposals.
                        Prothoplastus Hospes - The fist Host - Unas
                        Dou-Indoles Communis - Two Common Minds - Goauld/Tokra
                        Crusis Ferocia - Crusis: Tear trought someting and Ferocia:Chest. The worm like animals from Universe episode Time
                        Alia Orbis Besta - The earth animal that live in an shifted spectrum 180º from ours. The creatures Jonas started to see first.
                        sigpic
                        - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          Homo Jaffa
                          I think thats a Jaffa who likes the opposite sex

Childish humour I apologise

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                            I think thats a Jaffa who likes the opposite sex

Childish humour I apologise
                            If this was QI there'd be a loud alarm noise and a flashing screen right now...
                            sigpic

Comment

Logically, they are humans that were seeded among the stars by the Goa'uld. Going along with the plotline from the show, of course.
                              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Working...
                              X