Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATLANTIS syndicated (U.S.) viewers- Letterbox or true widescreen?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATLANTIS syndicated (U.S.) viewers- Letterbox or true widescreen?

Up until last week our local stations (the show switched to a new TV channel with the start of year five) have shown ATLANTIS in a 4x3 screen, letterboxed, even on their digital widescreen broadcast.

Yep. Black bars all the way around on a widescreen TV, unless you zoom. (Looks even worse on a 4x3 TV that's getting a letterboxed picture already.)

As of just last weekend, tho', things suddenly switched to true widescreen.

I'm glad, but was also a little annoyed over the change. I've been recording them, and in order to get a decent picture I'd been recording off a zoomed feed meant for a 4x3 screen. (Letterboxed.)

It's a good thing they're doing repeats of the season's opening episodes now, because last week I ended up with a recording that was fullscreen 4x3, with no black bars at all. Yep. It chopped off the right and left sides, because I'd been expecting to get a letterboxed picture.

Has anyone else noticed a sudden change like this? I never understood why the station that carried the show for seasons 1-4 kept using the 4x3 template even after they went to widescreen digital. Stranger still that the station that's carrying year five has suddenly changed formats half way thru the season.

How's about you? Anyone else have this sudden change since the repeats started?

Originally posted by Niddle View Post
    I never understood why the station that carried the show for seasons 1-4 kept using the 4x3 template even after they went to widescreen digital. Stranger still that the station that's carrying year five has suddenly changed formats half way thru the season.
    I think most people would call that "progress"
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I realize that affordability might be an issue for you, but if you can, acquire the DVD boxed sets for each season. They're anamorphic 16:9 widescreen, and that's for all seasons. No need to zoom. And I'm talking regular DVD format here, not Blu-ray (which of course is also 16:9).
      My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

LOL!

All I'm asking is if anyone else has had the same experience! If anyone else has seen this change at the same time. (And Puddlejumper? My recordings are fine. Will be able to continue recording when the new episodes resume. Just won't use the zoom feature any more. Heh.)

Comment

if it ain't widescreen i don't want to see it
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
          X