Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
    I know.. the horse is dead. But it looks so cool when I hit it with this stick:

In thinking about it, and going back to something Rachel first made me cognizant of, people in intimate relationships rarely address each other by their first names. And since then I've noticed (at least in this house) that if I bother to address John at all, it's usually by a pet name rather than "John" unless I'm calling across the house. When I read this comment of yours, I realized that what I really see happening is Jack continuing to use 'Carter' as Sam's *name*, and it being 'Sam' which he uses as a pet name. In fact, thinking about it, I think that's how I've tended to use them in fics, too. I just think, given their history, that makes the most sense.

EDIT: And I just learned (by overhearing him 'practice') that my 9 year-old has Linus's part in the Christmas pageant at church tonight
    Actually that's a really valid point and an excellent reason why Carter would be an occasional word rather than his usual form of address. Deep down inside I do think Sam would prefer he called her Sam than Carter.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
      Actually that's a really valid point and an excellent reason why Carter would be an occasional word rather than his usual form of address. Deep down inside I do think Sam would prefer he called her Sam than Carter.
      Uhm, maybe she prefers "Sam", but I think that "Carter" is in some way more special cos nobody calls her with this name, only Jack does it
      sigpic
      My vids Sig made by me

Comment

I know.. the horse is dead. But it looks so cool when I hit it with this stick:

In thinking about it, and going back to something Rachel first made me cognizant of, people in intimate relationships rarely address each other by their first names. And since then I've noticed (at least in this house) that if I bother to address John at all, it's usually by a pet name rather than "John" unless I'm calling across the house. When I read this comment of yours, I realized that what I really see happening is Jack continuing to use 'Carter' as Sam's *name*, and it being 'Sam' which he uses as a pet name. In fact, thinking about it, I think that's how I've tended to use them in fics, too. I just think, given their history, that makes the most sense.

EDIT: And I just learned (by overhearing him 'practice') that my 9 year-old has Linus's part in the Christmas pageant at church tonight
        Re bolded: I disagree there, since I know my parents always use their first names for each other...but that is more if they call each other by names. I think overall there is no mention of names at all...or when we're once again searching for each other (aka shouting around the house)

I do think that "carter" will stay as a petname in their relationship, but i don't think Sam will like it in the beginning...I do think she will eventualy accept it...

and self pimping, I just remembered I did a sort of a fic on that a month ago...Always

Cags I do like it that you remembered Jack calling Sarah "baby" since I forgot that...but I do think that Sam and Jack's relationship is different than the one that Sarah and Jack had...thus in a way I can't see them calling each other that...
        sigpic

Comment

We interrupt this Shipping session to make an Australian announcement!

It's officially Christmas day down under, so MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

You may now continue your scheduled shipping
          sigpic

Comment

it's Christmas day already in Australia! Yay!

Today's Advent calender Artwork is brought to you by

Regularamanda

For more information about the origins of the Advent, on which this calender is based, go to this site .

And because I can, I did this with all that lovely artwork: Sam & Jack Advent Calender Slideshow

Enjoy!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
              Re bolded: I disagree there, since I know my parents always use their first names for each other...but that is more if they call each other by names. I think overall there is no mention of names at all...or when we're once again searching for each other (aka shouting around the house)
              Nope, we're agreeing. I meant they don't generally call each other by *any* name. When they *do*, some use petnames, some don't. I do think those who use petnames tend to use them more frequently than those who always use first names, though, cause sometimes the petname's more than simply a means of address.

I agree with those who've said Sam likely actually really likes it when Jack calls her Sam (or Samantha - that's what Fantasy!Jack called her in Grace..), but I also think Jack quite possibly likes being able to call her 'Sam' now, too. Especially given I think his switching exclusively to 'Carter' was a type of barrier in the first place, using 'Sam' now would be a reminder that the barrier no longer exists.

Comment

Nope, we're agreeing. I meant they don't generally call each other by *any* name. When they *do*, some use petnames, some don't. I do think those who use petnames tend to use them more frequently than those who always use first names, though, cause sometimes the petname's more than simply a means of address.

I agree with those who've said Sam likely actually really likes it when Jack calls her Sam (or Samantha - that's what Fantasy!Jack called her in Grace..), but I also think Jack quite possibly likes being able to call her 'Sam' now, too. Especially given I think his switching exclusively to 'Carter' was a type of barrier in the first place, using 'Sam' now would be a reminder that the barrier no longer exists.
                I have it in my head that he calls her Samantha when he's trying to be tender. Maybe he uses Sam with some degree of frequency and slips into Carter on impulse or when he's being playful.

I've never imagined them having them a detailed conversation about it. I know some fic has her insisting he call her Sam (in response to her calling him Jack), but I feel like he'd gradually switch over as they're together longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
                  I have it in my head that he calls her Samantha when he's trying to be tender. Maybe he uses Sam with some degree of frequency and slips into Carter on impulse or when he's being playful.

I've never imagined them having them a detailed conversation about it. I know some fic has her insisting he call her Sam (in response to her calling him Jack), but I feel like he'd gradually switch over as they're together longer.
                  lol. Yeah, that's just how I picture it, and the later in time my fics go (except for the very first one, my post-threads story), the more he calls her Sam and the less Carter. Cause I agree exactly, and yes, they never had a conversation about it (seriously, how many people have conversations about that?). It was just something he started doing gradually. Which is sort of how pet names come about, reallly.

Comment

Hey, I told you that last Tuesday I didn't go to work due to the snow...so I made this video Bless the Broken Road

Again Merry Xmas to all!!!
                    sigpic
                    My vids Sig made by me

Comment

One last thing on the name stuff...

I think it depends if the Carter to Sam goes automatically, it could be like that, but it could also be that Sam gets annoyed and then says if he please doesn't call her Carter all the time. It reminds her too much of work or so...

but that's just my interpretation of the character
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bekki View Post
                        We interrupt this Shipping session to make an Australian announcement!

It's officially Christmas day down under, so MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

You may now continue your scheduled shipping
                        A Very Merry Christmas
                        to
                        Everyone Down Under
                        sigpic

Comment

Yup, that's exactly how I imagined it as well.

And because I might not be around today or tomorrow...

Merry
                          Christmas!!!

And for those that don't celebrate/on a different day, Happy December 24th/25th!

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
                          Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
                          Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I think it depends if the Carter to Sam goes automatically, it could be like that, but it could also be that Sam gets annoyed and then says if he please doesn't call her Carter all the time. It reminds her too much of work or so...

but that's just my interpretation of the character
                            Hmmm, I might have to beat you with my large beta stick... :: whistles and looks innocent :: o.O

Comment

Hmmm, I might have to beat you with my large beta stick... :: whistles and looks innocent :: o.O
                              Uh-oh Jann....Twilight's gonna pull out her red pen of death!

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
                              Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
                              Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Well...

To totally contradict what I said before, John and I actually did have a conversation about nicknames early in our relationship. It went something like:

"Why can't I call you Jack, everyone else does..."
                                "No."
                                "But it doesn't make any sense..."
                                "No."
                                "But..."
                                "I'll call you Jenny..."

That was sort of the end of that.

Still can't see them doing it, cause I doubt she really dislikes it when he calls her Carter. I just think, for both of them, initially there would have been a sort of thrill at his using 'Sam' or 'Samantha' which would cause him to use it more and more frequently until it would slowly become the more normal form of address.

Comment

Working...
                                X