Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
    lol. I actually think there is a very real and valid connection between Sam's hair length and her relationship with Jack (though, it's actually about Sam's relationship with *herself*). Once, during S9, I joked about how Sam's hair was starting to get longer (again) which indicated she was with Jack. That was even before the movies and Atlantis when she's pretty much given up on it.

I've said it before, but I like saying it : What's fabulous about this is, in PoV and TbftGoG Sam's hair is long, and she gives "The Air Force" as the reason she's got short hair in PoV (not, you realize, that she likes it short.. but that she *has* to have it short). Of course, she *could* have it long and be in the Air Force, but I'm convinced Sam's hair short is yet another symptom of her strict adherence to the rules beyond even the letter of them, and her attempt to live up to Daddy's (and the Air Force's by proxy) idea of the 'perfect officer'. Which, among other things, seems to her to mean denying her own femininity and that entire aspect of herself which makes her *her* beyond the officer and scientist. So, the closer she gets to Jack - the closer to the crossing that line and giving in to that part of herself she's been repressing - the longer and less controlled her hair gets. And so we see it at it's absolute most trimmed, btw, in S5/6.
    I so agree with you. The more distance Sam takes, in a way, from the military, the longer her hair is, but it also works the other way around.
    I do have to think about the whol short look in S4 though...but it was after D&C so probably Sam wanted to take more distance again and thus cut of her hair...even though the feelings, like we saw in BtS were still there. I think after D&C the whole flirting or more obvious attraction came from Jack's side!

IOW, I think Sam's hair length really is a representation of how she feels about *herself* - the more open and accepting of herself she is, the longer she tends to let her hair grow before snapping it back into that of the 'perfect officer'. Until, of course, *now* when she doesn't really give a crap and is gonna do whomever the heck she wants.

Uhm.. I mean whatever.

Who am I kidding. No I don't
    Yes, so true!

A small (and to me amusing) sample of Jennifer's posts on Sam's hair:

Here. and here and it goes back in time sort of like that until the very first time I almost jokingly began my The Longer Sam's Hair is The Closer she is to Jack Theory way... back... Here. Though of course, it's expanded and grown far more complex since then

It's nice to know I'm not alone in ascribing to that theory (cause, you know, a lot of folks think Jennifer is nuts. And some of them even because of that theory )
    Lol, you’re not nuts Jenn I like your posts!

And it was good to read those old posts again. It is funny to see how the thread has changed over the years! (and the people in it have changed…)

Sorry for any mistakes in this post...my computer is acting up!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
      Regarding the hair thing. I don't think it's something that would have occured to me until it was pointed out but, yes, yes, I have very much see corerelation between length and emotional wellbeing/happiness. It's not necessarily a Jack thing but a personal thing. because I do think she needed to go through a process (hence Pete) before she could be in that place where she was ready to be with Jack.
      I swear I've been hanging out with Bren too long. I just read that bolded bit as 'on' and had to go back and reread. *hangs head in shame*

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
        *Popping in with a present.*

It's done! It's done! The USS Hammond (gingergate version) is done!

[IM G]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l355/polrobin/gingergate%20sg1/IMG_0033.jpg[/IMG]

For more pictures and a little thing on how it was done, see my blog. (Link is in sig below).

Yay!
        Wow. That's awesome.

Comment

*Popping in with a present.*

It's done! It's done! The USS Hammond (gingergate version) is done!

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l...1/IMG_0033.jpg

For more pictures and a little thing on how it was done, see my blog. (Link is in sig below).

Yay!
          Pol, that is outstandingly brilliant! I love it! I bet it also tastes as good as it looks! Thanks for sharing!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Is there any kind of a ship thread? I mean a literal ship thread? Cause you should share that there...

Comment

sam and jack's first christmas together, as a couple; what did they get each other?

sam and jack's first christmas together, as husband and wife; what did they get each other?
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                sam and jack's first christmas together, as a couple; what did they get each other?

sam and jack's first christmas together, as husband and wife; what did they get each other?
                Same answer (in my universe): They went to Victoria Secrets and bought each other the same present Actually, come to think of it, that was probably just the gift wrap...

Man. I am awful tonight!

Comment

Same answer (in my universe): They went to Victoria Secrets and bought each other the same present Actually, come to think of it, that was probably just the gift wrap...

Man. I am awful tonight!
                  But... but... that's CLICHE and you know how Jack feels about cliches...

I think Bren has simply given my inner gutter girl the freedom to run nekkid through the thread. Of course, this is after I've got everyone successfully bawling from angst so they don't see said nekkidness.

Comment

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
                    But... but... that's CLICHE and you know how Jack feels about cliches...
                    It's a cliche because it's a GOOD idea

Well, I could have said she gave him a watch with an alarm on it, and he gave her The Simpson's Illustrated Companion, but that's not really that romantic...

EDIT: Or, actually, I *could* have said he gave her fishing lessons and she gave him one of her doohickeys. Oh wait... that is what I said.
                    Last edited by JenniferJF; 22 December 2009, 04:06 PM.

Comment

It's a cliche because it's a GOOD idea

Well, I could have said she gave him a watch with an alarm on it, and he gave her The Simpson's Illustrated Companion, but that's not really that romantic...

EDIT: Or, actually, I *could* have said he gave her fishing lessons and she gave him one of her doohickeys. Oh wait... that is what I said.
                      See, I think Jack would be one of those guys that could care less about what she's wearing and more concerned about her *not* wearing... in other words, as great as satin nighties are (or as hot as garter belts can be), they're just obstacles to the mission objective. If she shows up naked, well hey, less work and more fun

I was thinking maybe for Christmas she gave him... oh wait, this is a PG thread isn't it? La la la is there an NC-17 one around here anywhere? Anywhere? Huh...

Comment

Jennifer *is* nuts!

{{{{{{Jenn}}}}}}}

But that's okay, cause it's a Shipper prerequisite.

I really got a kick out of re-reading those awesome hair posts--I've always subscribed to this school of thought myself. And I'm really enjoying the subject today, so I'm just gonna drag it out a little further. {No pun intended this time...} But before I delve back in with pics, I've gotta say, out of all the things I loved and chuckled over in those past posts, this line cost me a cup of iced tea:
                        *And* that's why she immediatly knew Fifth was impersonating Pete (couldn't be real 'cause she couldn't have long hair and be with Pete).

Okay, on with the pics...

Yes, I'm repeating this pic... but not without cause. First, I'd like to again point out... considering everything else they did to the team, I don't think the sudden loss of long lustrous locks was Sam's choice. But... the decision to keep it at its starkest, shortest close crop throughout Seasons Five and Six were a conscientious decision. In the ten eps between this and the next pic below, Sam's hair doesn't appear to change one bit. Like she's getting weekly trims to keep it just *so*:

Take a look at the Entity-possessed Sam here. Now I'm fairly sure we've all agreed that the events of this episode were a major turning point for the Ship, and not in a good way. After staring down these vacantly evil eyes that are utterly devoid of anything of Sam, Jack has to shoot the woman he loves, effectively killing her, and only by a miracle of the SciFi nature does he get her back. But the damage is done and Jack abruptly jerks back the reins on their relationship, returning it to the strictly-professional zone.

To regress, because I'm just not in a linear mood right now, take a look at this shot from Serpent's Venom:

Four episodes post-Beneath the Surface and it doesn't seem to have changed a bit...

Okay, this has nothing to do with the hair equation, but I ran across it snagging that last cap, and I just had to post it. Did you know that over on "Dedicated to SG-1" (www.stargatesg1971.com) there are *twelve* screencaps of this yummy little moment--and every color of the rainbow lights Sam & Jack in them:
                        red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and *purple*. I was immensely amused.

Anyway, where was I?

Oh yes... hair.

So, skipping ahead another four eps, here we see Sam again in the beginning of The Light--before they go into withdrawal. Or more to the point, before The Light forces them to admit they are in withdrawal--though stubborn we-can't-talk-about-the-feelings-we're-feeling soldiers these two are and thanks to an unusually poorly timed Teal'c-interruption, they pretty much manage to convince themselves it was just *The Light* they were in
                        withdrawal from.

Skipping ahead, we come to Double Jeopardy. RoboShip!! WooHoo! Sa,'s still got that super-short I'm-the-perfect-soldier hair. Now contrast that to RoboSam's hair:

I'm going on the assumption here that RoboHair doesn't grow, since RoboSam's hair appears pretty much identical to Season One Sam's hair, on which she was based.. It also doesn't turn grey much, apparently:

See? Not so grey. Especially in light of how grey *our* Jack's hair is at this point:

Quite grey. Nice bit of continuity, PTB. If only you'd applied such dedication in all aspects of the show.

Moving right along to the end of Season Four, we get to Exodus, which gives a chance to see Dad again, and gives Sam the chance show Dad that she's still the perfect soldier. By blowing up a sun.

And her hair is still quite short. As it will stay until she finally comes to her senses. In another four years...
                        Love and hot fudge,
                        Bren Ren
                        ~
                        My stories!
                        ~

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post

Nice questions, sal.

As a couple...I think Jack would get Sam tools for her bike and car, a nice dress, a dog, maybe a couple of music CD's, a wedding ring and a proposal.

Sam would get Jack something baseball related, some clothing, errr...oh...a "yes" for his proposal might be nice too.

As a married couple...Jack would get Sam...things...she's been hinting for over the past-year (sorry, my mind went to putty on this when I suddenly thought about something shippy Sam could get for Jack which just overshadows Jack's gifts...or at the very least puts them to one side for the moment...or a very long time might be better until I figure out what Jack would get for her).

Sam would get Jack a pregnancy test kit showing a positive result...and a few other little knick knacks.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

:: applaudes Bren ::

Love it!!! *virtual green*

Comment

I swear I've been hanging out with Bren too long. I just read that bolded bit as 'on' and had to go back and reread. *hangs head in shame*
                              Nice too know I've had such a positive influence on people!

Man. I am awful tonight!
                              No, really, that was quite good!

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
                              I think Bren has simply given my inner gutter girl the freedom to run nekkid through the thread. Of course, this is after I've got everyone successfully bawling from angst so they don't see said nekkidness.
                              My work here is done.

Dang it, don't make me laugh so hard when I'm fighting a migraine!!

Someone pass the broccoli...
                              Love and hot fudge,
                              Bren Ren
                              ~
                              My stories!
                              ~

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                                Nice questions, sal.

As a couple...I think Jack would get Sam tools for her bike and car, a nice dress, a dog, maybe a couple of music CD's, a wedding ring and a proposal.

Sam would get Jack something baseball related, some clothing, errr...oh...a "yes" for his proposal might be nice too.

As a married couple...Jack would get Sam...things...she's been hinting for over the past-year (sorry, my mind went to putty on this when I suddenly thought about something shippy Sam could get for Jack which just overshadows Jack's gifts...or at the very least puts them to one side for the moment...or a very long time might be better until I figure out what Jack would get for her).

Sam would get Jack a pregnancy test kit showing a positive result...and a few other little knick knacks.

when i asked the questions, i didn't try to come up with answers myself; i just wanted to read others ideas. i love your ideas!

(got to know your sam's overshadows jack's idea... )
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X