Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrenRen View Post
    Or, for those of us dwelling in the plural zone, the happy places where Jack was there with Sam enjoying twenty years of screwing the regs that no longer applied cause they're happily married!

Okay, I admit, I've read a few too many fics and the lines between fanon and canon have blurred a tad. Not that I ever paid any attention to those lines in the first place.
    I'm in the same line of thinking here! Too many fics that have totally muddled my ship thinking for this storyline!

Originally posted by jumble View Post
    From the Quarantine commentary with Martin and Amanda.

On the final scene in the cafeteria.

MW: Broken only by Carter.

AT: Yeah, loser Carter.

MW: Because her boyfriend’s back in Washington.

AT: He’s almost retired.

MW: (laughs) Are we giving away too much?

AT: No.

MW: (quoting Carter) “Hi! I just talked to my boyfriend in Washington!” Is that what you’re thinking?

AT: No!

MW: (giggles)

AT: And according to my boyfriend, the almost retired guy in Washington….

MW: The almost retired General……

AT: Shhhhh! Now that’s giving away too much!

MW: (giggling)
    Does MW really giggle? Cuz that just freaks me out, just a little.
    sigpic
    Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
      I'm in the same line of thinking here! Too many fics that have totally muddled my ship thinking for this storyline!

Does MW really giggle? Cuz that just freaks me out, just a little.
      It's more like a chuckle, really... But. You know Jumble.

*hugs Jumble and her Woohooness*

Comment

And the last of the angst icons

Spoiler:

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
        Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
        Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Amanda, those icons are amazing!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
            It's more like a chuckle, really... But. You know Jumble.

*hugs Jumble and her Woohooness*
            - boy do we....

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
              You know, I really like Unending *ducks tomatoes*

Spoiler:
              Remember, I love angst, and that is one of the angstiest episodes of them all. Everyone else is coping in their own ways, and from Sam we see this bone-deep grief and sadness and, ultimately, despair. Sal, I think it was, mentioned she wished we could see Sam missing Jack, and I believe we do. We see her in absolute lonely despair and I'm *certain* it was because she was living that long life without Jack and leaving him behind in time.

No, we don't hear his name and, no, we don't see that outright. But most of 'the ship' has been composed of just those sort of subtle moments. Only about 15 minutes (literally) of the eleven years and handful-of-episodes Sam and/or Jack have been onscreen have been overtly devoted to their relationship. And, yes, I realize a lot of you have been Sam/Jack shippers since she walked into the briefing room in CotG, hoping there might be 'a ship' long before there actually was one and long before realizing the ship that was going to happen was mostly about subtle undercurrents and character/acting beats. If you're looking for romance novel declarations of love (both verbal and nonverbal ), you're never going to be happy with this ship, and I suspect many of you who fall into this category are, overall, very unhappy with what TPTB have done with it.

None of this means I wouldn't be happy with, say, another 5 minutes devoted to Sam/Jack in a possible Movie #3. It just means, given the show and relationships history, I don't really expect it. Though like I said, having come to this ship VERY late unlike some of you, I'm a 'shipper' because of what we were given - subtle and heartbreaking angst. If the relationship had been all fluff and gutter (like other Stargate ones), I wouldn't be here...

As for Jack's being in Unending, apart from the ship: yeah, I wish he could have been there. (except, you know.. no heartbreaking angst) At the same time, given his job is in Washington and no longer on SG-1, I can understand why he wasn't on the Odyssey going to meet Thor. Yes, it would have been easy to write him in (Thor requested his presence), but it made sense to me he wasn't there. SG-1 wasn't necessary really even for what was essentially a UPS run. And Landry certainly wasn't. If anything, it's his presence which is the most bizarre
              I adore "Unending". *joins Jenn in ducking from tomatoes* I love it, I love it, I love it. Which is kinda funny considering the first time I saw it I thought that it was a pretty lame episode to end the longest running sci-fi series with.

Spoilers for length and a lot on the Sam/Teal'c relationship in "Unending":
              Spoiler:
              Yes, I really wish that Jack had been there, especially to get to say good-bye to Thor . . . *waves hand* and, you know, to be in shippy filled scenes with Sam yadda, yadda, yadda . . . I will admit that I still get a bit cranky with TPTB for not having him back, though I understand the reasons behind it.

But even though Jack's not there, there is a lot that I enjoy in this ep. I love seeing the ways these people cope with there is situation, I love the bit with Sam and her cello (could there be an angstier instrument?), and *ducks flying rocks*, I really, really love the Sam/Teal'c relationship that comes with it.

The Sam/Teal'c friendship has just always intrigued me, probably more so than Sam/Daniel's friendship or even Sam/Jack's. They're a very unlikely couple, but they're so close. The scenes in "Paradise Lost" and "Heroes" are some of my favorite scenes of the whole series.

I know that I'm going to get crap for saying this, but I love the interpretation by AT and CJ of a relationship between Sam and Teal'c in "Unending". Fifty years of being away from Jack? I think it's only natural that Sam would turn to someone for comfort. And while Daniel had Vala, Cameron didn't know Jack that well, and Landry was still her CO, the only logical solution was Teal'c, who, as we all know, is the First Shipper.

I'm of firm belief that Teal'c knew all about Jack and Sam's relationship, and I'm also of firm belief that Teal'c would have been the first person that Jack would have asked to keep Sam safe when he wasn't there. And personally, if something ever did happen to Jack (Heaven forbid!), Teal'c is the one person that I would feel okay about Sam took deep comfort in.

Seeking comfort from Teal'c, whether friendly or something more, was never Sam cheating on Jack, it was Sam trying to keep her sanity. 50 years! I can't even begin to imagine what that would be like; to spend 8 years knowing that you couldn't be in a relationship with the man you loved because of rules and regulations, finally get to be together for two years, only to spend the rest of your life alone again. I wouldn't expect Sam to wait for all that time. Teal'c provided her with stability in her time of need.

(Of course, that is to say that I don't believe that Sam and Teal'c's relationship would have become anything more that friendship until years, *decades*, after they were stuck on the ship. Sam would have certainly waited until all hope was gone that she'd never get them home.)

The last thing that I have to say is this. I am very curious to know exactly what happened between Sam and Teal'c in "Unending", since it's very difficult for me to know just how to write Teal'c's character post-SG:1 in fanfic, considering our Teal'c still has all of the memories of the 50 years on the ship. That little tidbit is a bit unsettling if you think about it.

But of course (and I feel the need to say this!), this is my complete and very humble opinion on the matter.

Don't expect me to be right about anything, as I don't think any higher of myself.
              sigpic
              The Return of King Arthur
              Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
              acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Where is the Shipper's OT thread? I thought it was bookmarked, but it's not on my list. Rats!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                  I adore "Unending". *joins Jenn in ducking from tomatoes* I love it, I love it, I love it. Which is kinda funny considering the first time I saw it I thought that it was a pretty lame episode to end the longest running sci-fi series with.

Spoiler:
                  Yes, I really wish that Jack had been there, especially to get to say good-bye to Thor . . . *waves hand* and, you know, to be in shippy filled scenes with Sam yadda, yadda, yadda . . . I will admit that I still get a bit cranky with TPTB for not having him back, though I understand the reasons behind it.

But even though Jack's not there, there is a lot that I enjoy in this ep. I love seeing the ways these people cope with there is situation, I love the bit with Sam and her cello (could there be an angstier instrument?), and *ducks flying rocks*, I really, really love the Sam/Teal'c relationship that comes with it.

The Sam/Teal'c friendship has just always intrigued me, probably more so than Sam/Daniel's friendship or even Sam/Jack's. They're a very unlikely couple, but they're so close. The scenes in "Paradise Lost" and "Heroes" are some of my favorite scenes of the whole series.

I know that I'm going to get crap for saying this, but I love the interpretation by AT and CJ of a relationship between Sam and Teal'c in "Unending". Fifty years of being away from Jack? I think it's only natural that Sam would turn to someone for comfort. And while Daniel had Vala, Cameron didn't know Jack that well, and Landry was still her CO, the only logical solution was Teal'c, who, as we all know, is the First Shipper.

I'm of firm belief that Teal'c knew all about Jack and Sam's relationship, and I'm also of firm belief that Teal'c would have been the first person that Jack would have asked to keep Sam safe when he wasn't there. And personally, if something ever did happen to Jack (Heaven forbid!), Teal'c is the one person that I would feel okay about Sam took deep comfort in.

Seeking comfort from Teal'c, whether friendly or something more, was never Sam cheating on Jack, it was Sam trying to keep her sanity. 50 years! I can't even begin to imagine what that would be like; to spend 8 years knowing that you couldn't be in a relationship with the man you loved because of rules and regulations, finally get to be together for two years, only to spend the rest of your life alone again. I wouldn't expect Sam to wait for all that time. Teal'c provided her with stability in her time of need.

(Of course, that is to say that I don't believe that Sam and Teal'c's relationship would have become anything more that friendship until years, *decades*, after they were stuck on the ship. Sam would have certainly waited until all hope was gone that she'd never get them home.)

The last thing that I have to say is this. I am very curious to know exactly what happened between Sam and Teal'c in "Unending", since it's very difficult for me to know just how to write Teal'c's character post-SG:1 in fanfic, considering our Teal'c still has all of the memories of the 50 years on the ship. That little tidbit is a bit unsettling if you think about it.

But of course (and I feel the need to say this!), this is my complete and very humble opinion on the matter.

Don't expect me to be right about anything, as I don't think any higher of myself.
                  Soooooooo after reading your thoughts can I plug my own fic "Coda"? :: looks innocent :: La la la... Can't link cuz it's M (a paragraph)...

Yes, I am narcissistic for plugging my own stuff *cough cough*

Comment

Jenn and Amanda. What gorgeous avatars! I have no idea how I'm going to pick just one! Thanks so much!
                    sigpic
                    Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways

Comment

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
                      Soooooooo after reading your thoughts can I plug my own fic "Coda"? :: looks innocent :: La la la... Can't link cuz it's M (a paragraph)...

Yes, I am narcissistic for plugging my own stuff *cough cough*
                      Please! I remember you mentioning that fic before, but I never got around to reading it!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                        Amanda, those icons are amazing!
                        Aww thank you

I used to love Unending...till I found this thread. I absolutely hate it. I wouldn't have had anything wrong with the S/T...if it had been another reality, but he remembered it. It's right up there with Tokr'a Part 1/2 and CL, of the episodes I will never touch again with 100 foot pole. But let me point out that it is not Canon, no matter what AT and CJ said, it isn't Canon....but I don't want to get into this again. It's been done to death, you either love it or hate it.

In 50 years she didn't give up on finding a way home...I don't believe for a second that she'd give up on one day going back to him either.

She never lost hope (if she would have, they would have died on that ship)...she'd never give up on Jack.

All my humble opinion...but it's been done to death.

And let me point out I probably wouldn't have had a problem, except that he remembered. I can't even watch AoT or any of the SGA episodes with Teal'c in it because of it. *sighs*

Up until this thread, I never saw any S/T in Unending, none whatsoever...and considering at the time my allegiances were with another ship involving Sam () I never even *though* she'd end up with that other guy in Unending either.

Comment

Spoiler:
                          (snippidy doo daa)

sam and teal'c friendship is nice and good. but that's all there was in 'unending', no ship. but it was open to interpretation, right? not really, since the only 'ship' between them was what amanda said her a chris put in.
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

So, to make up for my rant (sorry it just really irks me a lot) some gutter mini fic!

Spoiler:
                            His fingers lovingly caress over her soft curves. Oh he'd seen them many times, hidden beneath baggy BDU's. He'd gotten just the slightest glimpse of her when he had awaken her when they were captured by Hathor. And even that small peek had stayed with him all this time, haunted his very dreams.

But now there was no more dreaming of those curves, no more wondering what the taste of her skin would taste like. No more wondering what she'd feel like beneathe the gentle caresses of his finger tips.

Now he knew.

His hands expertly made there way down her long form, his eyes drinking in every square inch of her. His lips returned once again to her neck and he whispered softly into her ear.

"I want you Sam...Always" His voice cracked, horse with uncontained love.

She let out a soft moan and titled her head to the side to give her better access.

"Always, Jack. Always."

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                              sam and teal'c friendship is nice and good. but that's all there was in 'unending', no ship. but it was open to interpretation, right? not really, since the only 'ship' between them was what amanda said her a chris put in.
                              Yes, of course. I completely agree. You see it or you don't. AT and CJ said one thing about S/T and Joe Mallozzi denied it, leaving the ground neutral again. It's all up to the fans.
                              sigpic

Comment

The last thing that I have to say is this. I am very curious to know exactly what happened between Sam and Teal'c in "Unending", since it's very difficult for me to know just how to write Teal'c's character post-SG:1 in fanfic, considering our Teal'c still has all of the memories of the 50 years on the ship. That little tidbit is a bit unsettling if you think about it. [/SPOILERS]
                                Ironcially, APA and I were just discussing this the other day. At first, I was vehemently opposed to the idea, but as the series has gone on, the idea that there was *something* there has grown on me. I think it's the central angst of the thing - that Teal'c might truly have fallen in love with Sam, yet known there was a part of her that was and always would be Jack's... and in the end, when she offered to be the one to stay old and keep her memories, he made the noblest sacrifice of all, giving her back to her old life and to Jack because he'd known all along, really, that she was never his in the way she was Jack's and anything she'd had with him was, for her, just a result of not having what she really truly wanted...

That idea's just so... Angsty *sob*

Plus then we have everything afterwards, Teal'c being the only one to have those memories and having to face a Sam who is so happy and complete with Jack, missing what he had but knowing in her happiness that he did the right thing. It's all terribly tragic and bittersweet.

And, like you said, after thirty years or so - about the time she gave in to her despair and lost hope (or possibly, the reason she did?) she realized even if they got back, the life she'd had and dreamed of having with Jack was irretrievably lost just as assuredly as if she'd died, making her even if they were married effectively a widow...

Yeah. All very angsty. And you know me and angst

Joins SJS93 in the Bad Shipper Corner.

(((Teal'c)))

EDIT: And, frankly, I find the idea of Sam's despair leading her to find what comfort she could with Teal'c less awful than the idea that, shortly after D&C, she lost hope in Jack and ended up marrying Joe... But I love The Tok'ra, too...

Comment

Working...
                                X