Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Treknik View Post

Life kind of snuck up on me and then sent me flying. I have been trying to watch Season 9 of SG1. This is my first time and boy, is it different. I miss the Sam and Jack interaction. My next episode to watch is Ripple Effect.

As a shipper, that episode may upset you. I know it did me when I first watched it.

4. I see Cam and Vala as replacements for Jack. Cam being the military aspect and Vala the comedic side of Jack. It takes two to fill Jack's shoes.
    I wanted to call this out because I feel the same way. I disliked Cam from the start and still do because he's just so obviously an attempt to carbon copy Jack. I liked Vala when she wasn't part of the team. But the addition of her as part of the team was too unbelievable to me .

I'd like to see how Jack interacts with her because she does show some of the same characteristics that Jack did as a Colonel. I can't imagine he'd abide her antics now, though.

I doubt we'll get to see it because if we get the next SG-1 movie, I do think it will be the last.

Oh, and thanks to whoever started the 'wormhole' talk. I'm never going to think of it the same way again.

In parting . . . Jack's got all the wormhole he could ever want now and he doesn't even have to step through the gate anymore.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
      I wanted to call this out because I feel the same way. I disliked Cam from the start and still do because he's just so obviously an attempt to carbon copy Jack. I liked Vala when she wasn't part of the team. But the addition of her as part of the team was too unbelievable to me .

I'd like to see how Jack interacts with her because she does show some of the same characteristics that Jack did as a Colonel. I can't imagine he'd abide her antics now, though.

I doubt we'll get to see it because if we get the next SG-1 movie, I do think it will be the last.

Oh, and thanks to whoever started the 'wormhole' talk. I'm never going to think of it the same way again.

In parting . . . Jack's got all the wormhole he could ever want now and he doesn't even have to step through the gate anymore.
      I think it's interesting that you saw Cam as an attempt to carbon copy Jack because I actually felt like he was very much the opposite. They share certain traits but what they shared (a sarcasm, cockiness) I've seen in a lot of the pilots that I've grown up around. They're flyboys LOL But truthfully Cam is a lot more like a fighter pilot than Jack was. Cam's cockiness and quick tongue I think are part of that "fighter pilot mentality" (the rush, the thrill, the nice cars, the pretty girls) where as Jack's is more to cover up his underlying dark history. Cam doesn't have some sordid past - he's a farm kid that grew up in the same town his whole life and left to see the world so to speak. He probably played sports, got voted "Pretty boy of the year" and never settled down cuz he didn't want to stop. He's a little reckless (to be expected) and a little clueless sometimes.

Jack on the other hand probably courted Sara the old-fashioned way and asked her dad. Heck it wouldn't surprise me if they'd married right out of high school. They were together and good together until tragedy struck. I think he was always a more serious character - he jokes, he teases, but deep down he feels the weight a lot more than he lets on. He plays his cards close to the chest and is a lot less of a risk taker. (This is why he reminds me of my dad - my dad flew black ops in the AF, and he's got some wild stories, but in everyday life, he's not a risk taker. He's been married to my mom for 35 years, two kids, a house, and he likes to work on his computer and truck). Jack's not interested in thrills. He does what he does because he has a sense of responsibility. That's what drives him.

That's why it was easy for me to accept Cam and why there's a lack of chemistry between Cam and Sam too. Both Sam and Jack have faced some very dark things together and they both share a deep sense of obligation and duty. Not that Cam doesn't have a sense of duty, but that duty is coupled with his thrill seeking. Sam is like Jack - it's fun, it's great, but at the end of the day she wants a place to call home, with a book, her husband, and maybe a fishing rod too

PS LOL Leia on the last line! I agree.

Comment

Wonderful post Twilight! Agree with every bit of it, and the very last line (about the home, book, husband and fishing rod)...aww! May I use that line in a sig? An angsty sig... Please? *bats eyelashes*

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
        Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
        Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
          Wonderful post Twilight! Agree with every bit of it, and the very last line (about the home, book, husband and fishing rod)...aww! May I use that line in a sig? An angsty sig... Please? *bats eyelashes*
          Be my guest LOL

Comment

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
            Besides, if the relationship was out in the open then we wouldn't have any angst.

Angstless Sam and Jack???
            Angstless Jack/Sam???? Oh no, what would I have done *twitch*
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
              Be my guest LOL
              Woot! Thanks Twilight! I had a feeling you wouldn't be able to resist when I said an angst sig

Comment

I think S9 is a bit of a shock after watching S1-S8 through. It is a different show to a large degree. And I admit I didn't enjoy it myself first time round and still think it competes with S5 for me as the worst overall season.

I preferred S10 which is another show too because they change it up again (for the better, IMO).

Of course, I now watch S9 and S10 without the anxious anticipation of wondering whether they would mention Sam/Jack - or Jack for that matter - at all and just with the belief that Sam and Jack are together off-screen. Makes the whole thing a lot easier to watch, IMO.
                sigpic
                Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
                  I think S9 is a bit of a shock after watching S1-S8 through. It is a different show to a large degree. And I admit I didn't enjoy it myself first time round and still think it competes with S5 for me as the worst overall season.

I preferred S10 which is another show too because they change it up again (for the better, IMO).

Of course, I now watch S9 and S10 without the anxious anticipation of wondering whether they would mention Sam/Jack - or Jack for that matter - at all and just with the belief that Sam and Jack are together off-screen. Makes the whole thing a lot easier to watch, IMO.
                  s9 and s10 were a lot different from each other and the rest of the seasons. I remember not really liking s9 all that much. Cam felt a bit too much like a newbie. But in s10 he's becoming more a part of the team. Plus we get two Jack episodes.
                  And watching through those episodes I like I see more and more evidence that Sam and Jack are together. (With some help from the "Evidence Post s8 that Sam and Jack are Together." Thanks whoever wrote that)
                  sigpic

Comment

I didn't believe that Cam was a carbon copy of Jack, but a replacement for the military side. Cam is more enthusiastic and less sarcastic than Jack. I did not like that in the beginning of Season 9, it seemed like some of Cam's lines would be similar to what Jack would say, so it made me a little put off with the character. I need to continue watching to find out if that is a habit by the writers.

I am watching Season 9 more for information about the characters and the storyline, so without my shipper glasses on (for the moment).

I also think of Sam and Jack together during this season, so I follow the other characters more during the episode. I guess in that aspect, you begin to know and really learn about the other characters. During Season 1-8, I would pay more attention to Sam and Jack, what they say and what they do. While the others, Daniel and Teal'c were just fillers for me. Now, I am more familiar with them. It doesn't make me like them more, but I understand them now.
                    sigpic
                    I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

To stay on topic (I've been venturing off the road a bit, it is very slippery here in Michigan) -

I was watching Bane today, yes it isn't the best episode, but I am rewatching Stargate (currently in Season 2) thanks to the local Detroit channel. After watching it again, it wasn't as bad the second time around.

What I wanted to say is that there is a scene where they go back to capture one of the insects, they come running into the gate room, an insect comes through and Jack shoots its wing. After Jack checks on the insect, Sam and Daniel come over (still wearing their masks) and Sam sprays it. I am assuming it is some sort of freezing spray. Anyways, while she is spraying, Jack taps her on the front of the left shoulder to stop, Sam keeps spraying, and he starts tapping harder, she begins to turn around and the scene changes to a closer shot of them. I swear right before they switch scenes and she is turning, he keeps tapping and you know he must have hit her in the left boob or very near it.

Just another observation in the neverending Jack and Sam moments.
                      sigpic
                      I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

It's possible none of this will make sense as I've just returned home after working for 13 hours:

OT Romeo and Juliet:
                        Spoiler:
                        My response when I first read Romeo and Juliet: Idiots! Don't even get me started.
                        See.. I don't think Romeo and Juliet was ever about *love* per se. I think it's about teen age rebellion and loving to be loved and choosing the worst person possible out of a sense of the melodrama of it all. If Juliet had actually loved Romeo, she'd have just gone into exile with him. But like all 13 year old girls, that wouldn't have had quite the right dramatic effect and really *stuck* it to her mean old mom and dad the way she wanted to...

And Hamlet.. I think Hamlet's about the soul destroying powerlessness to act of deep depression...

But that's just the way I feel about it. Today. And it's been more than a decade since I've really analyzed either of them so my opinion now might be very different on reading them
                        To be fair, television doesn't have the best track record for romances. I can't blame her for wanting Sam to develop as her own character which I think is what makes the S/J storyline so GOOD. Because TPTB respect that regulations in SG-1, S/J respect the regulations and their unrequited love creates the sort of inroads in their lives that grow these characters to depths unknown. It was a natural romance as opposed to a pre-set, pre-design where the writer's are trying to figure out exactly how to develop it. Instead, the actors used their chemistry to add a subtext to the episodes.
                        Originally posted by BrenRen View Post
                        By staying true to their respect for the Air Force and its accompanying rules and regulations, they created two incredibly honorable characters in Sam & Jack, which made their slow-developing unrequited love story all the more poignant, organic, and realistic.
                        I just wanted to piggy back on these two comments to add that the other thing that makes Sam/Jack such a fantastic relationship - and different than most of those on TV - is that neither Sam nor Jack's own characters and growth are lost or compromised as a result of the relationship - which is so often what happens on TV. The character becomes *about* the relationship. Sam and Jack's relationship with each other was as much a way of showing their own personal individual growth as it was that relationship. Both of them, though more overtly Sam, went on *personal* journeys which led them to each other, but the journey was never simply about that destination.

It's one of the reasons, frankly, that I can't imagine how folks who don't acknowledge the ship explain the things the characters do and say on the screen. Without the idea Sam and Jack love each other but are denying their feelings and the chance to explore a real relationship, *so* much of what the characters say and do makes no sense, and one misses out on the incredible depth of personality these two people have - as individuals - which their love for each other in many ways simply serves illustrates.

It's bizarre, really.

That's why it was easy for me to accept Cam and why there's a lack of chemistry between Cam and Sam too. Both Sam and Jack have faced some very dark things together and they both share a deep sense of obligation and duty. Not that Cam doesn't have a sense of duty, but that duty is coupled with his thrill seeking. Sam is like Jack - it's fun, it's great, but at the end of the day she wants a place to call home, with a book, her husband, and maybe a fishing rod too
                        Personally, I really enjoyed S9 and S10 (well, the last half of S9 and S10). In fact, from about Ripple Effect to 200 is, in my humblest of opinions (cause this is a very personal kind of opinion) the single longest and best string of consistently *good* episodes the show has ever had. There might have been better single episodes than those found in that period, but surrounded by not so good 'filler' episodes in those cases. IMHO. Of course.

What I love about Cam, and I think Off the Grid shows this perfectly (insert random AM/PdL fangurl moment.. *here*) is he's such a newbie. So excited and enthusiastic about everything... like a little puppy. Like, in fact, Sam herself was back in the day. So in a way, *Sam* has become Jack and Cam has become Sam. Or, as Twi says, for Sam (and for Daniel and Teal'c too, I think) going through the Stargate has become little more than a job - an important one - but just something they have to do. There's really no *joy* in it anymore.

Cam brings that joy.

He and Vala also bring, btw, opportunity for character growth. By the end of S8, most of the significant character arcs for Sam, Dan, and Teal'c had been cleared up (hence.. you know.. threads) and the characters were fairly complete and mature. The choice at that point was, really, either bring in new characters with new bright and shiny issues and imperfections or mess up Our Heroes who'd been through so much to gain the stability they'd well-earned, or introduce new characters to mess with. So, given the options, I'm glad they introduced new characters... which means, of course, Sam could still ride off into the sunset with Jack, so to speak, but still remain on the show...

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
                          Quite impressive...quite.

You've ruined the episode for me Jann....thank you! lol

So I've spend the past 45 minutes watching angsty S/J videos on our big screen. Yeah...I'm reminded why I love all over again.

And so, I forced my dad to watch them (he's seen most of them before though) and the Always scene pops up...

dad: So that scene where she looks at him...are they under anything? A different reality or something?
                          me: ...that's the always scene! It's them being them.
                          dad: Oh.
                          *few minutes later*
                          me:...why?
                          dad: Because it was a sort of cute scene...
                          me: *beams*
                          dad: ....not that it means anything!
                          me:

The man is so a closet shipper.
                          - indeed.....slowly but surely the shipper nanoprobes are wearing him down.....*cackles like a mad scientist*

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                            - indeed.....slowly but surely the shipper nanoprobes are wearing him down.....*cackles like a mad scientist*
                            speaking of this i have a really stupid question that i know you guys will know

i recently converted a friend of mine into an Stargate fan as well as Sam Jack shipper and i was just discussing the Ship with her and told her how eventually you find out Sam's password is "FISHING" and i blanked like a complete idiot on when and what episode that is...

when and what episode does that happen??

and i apologize for the occasionally terrible gaps in memory, i suffer from. i like to blame school on filling my brain up with information i need for the sole reason of passing the class
                            sigpic
                            thanks sg4ever for the awesome icon!!! (dont steal it!!!) My FanFic

Comment

Originally posted by Keaira Taegan View Post

i recently converted a friend of mine into an Stargate fan as well as Sam Jack shipper and i was just discussing the Ship with her and told her how eventually you find out Sam's password is "FISHING" and i blanked like a complete idiot on when and what episode that is...

and i apologize for the occasionally terrible gaps in memory, i suffer from. i like to blame school on filling my brain up with information i need for the sole reason of passing the class
                              That would be 'Line in the Sand' in S10

Comment

Originally posted by Keaira Taegan View Post

That would be Line in The Sand, in season 10.

Comment

Working...
                                X