No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amanda I didn't ruin the episode for you...I made it better for you...remember!

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
    It's got my vote! Romeo and Juliet have nothing on them!
    Yes! And you know...Romeo and Juliet only died once for each other...how many times have S/J done that?!?!?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
      My response when I first read Romeo and Juliet: Idiots! Don't even get me started.

Shakespeare OT
      Spoiler:
      I never appreciated Shakespeare until college when I watched Kenneth Branaugh's Hamlet - before then I'd read Romeo and Juleit and Hamlet and I just thought to myself "Can we get to the part where they die now?" - when I watched Hamlet I was floored.

Since then my husband (who has an English degree) has warmed me up to Shakespeare (through watching instead of reading). But I still think Romeo and Juliet were idiots.

And Amanda, I would agree. That's exactly what Sam would say
      Same here! I have no taste for culture.

So....has anyone used what Twilight said earlier in a nice guttery fic?

Originally posted by starlover View Post
      Amanda I didn't ruin the episode for you...I made it better for you...remember!

Yes! And you know...Romeo and Juliet only died once for each other...how many times have S/J done that?!?!?
      You did! *huggles*

A *bunch* of times. *squishes them*

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
      Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
      Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
        Maybe it is written somewhere in the forum...
        But I was chatting with one of my friends, and she asked me where she can find the Sam/Jack song. Cos on YT there are just MIDI songs or theme piano.
        Has someone got a mp3 file?

I've extracted the song tracks only from the Zatarc scene in Divide and Conquer and got this:
        download mp3 here

Comment

Exactly...really gives a whole new meaning for the 'love comes upon you when you least expect it' thing. After all, she blatantly said that she didn't want a thing between them...and then it did happen...and now from recent conventions she seems to be pretty into S/J being together.

Yeah, she said something like she didn't want her character to be a typical blonde girl, who is a background for a main male character, and obviously has a crush, and so on, but apparently you can never hide from a true love! It was destiny and AT could not helped it
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kusanagi View Post
            Yeah, she said something like she didn't want her character to be a typical blonde girl, who is a background for a main male character, and obviously has a crush, and so on, but apparently you can never hide from a true love! It was destiny and AT could not helped it
            To be fair, television doesn't have the best track record for romances. I can't blame her for wanting Sam to develop as her own character which I think is what makes the S/J storyline so GOOD. Because TPTB respect that regulations in SG-1, S/J respect the regulations and their unrequited love creates the sort of inroads in their lives that grow these characters to depths unknown. It was a natural romance as opposed to a pre-set, pre-design where the writer's are trying to figure out exactly how to develop it. Instead, the actors used their chemistry to add a subtext to the episodes.

I don't know that I'm explaining that well.

Comment

Originally posted by trinity3 View Post
              Oooh Jenn, just..... wrong.

The implications of that is just **shudders**no.

But I take your point, Jack senses something different about her, the humming, male territorial instincts take over.

I got ya.
              Pheromones. Basically, Sam is "in heat" and Jack is definitely going to notice that!!

Comment

To be fair, television doesn't have the best track record for romances. I can't blame her for wanting Sam to develop as her own character which I think is what makes the S/J storyline so GOOD. Because TPTB respect that regulations in SG-1, S/J respect the regulations and their unrequited love creates the sort of inroads in their lives that grow these characters to depths unknown. It was a natural romance as opposed to a pre-set, pre-design where the writer's are trying to figure out exactly how to develop it. Instead, the actors used their chemistry to add a subtext to the episodes.

You explained it well. I think you are absolutely right with this. The chemistry and the ship developed naturally and perhaps because of the PTB resistance it only grew stronger. It was natural and not forced like many TV romances these days are.

So Awesome.

sigpic

Comment

You explained it well. I think you are absolutely right with this. The chemistry and the ship developed naturally and perhaps because of the PTB resistance it only grew stronger. It was natural and not forced like many TV romances these days are.

So Awesome.

That's exactly what I wanted to say. I never blamed AT for wanting for her character something more than just another blonde in love (oh, I want you so much kind if thing). It's just when you look at this particular relationship from a distance (of time), than you can only see that it happened naturally.
                  Yeah, so awesome!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

First of all, I forgot to tag it in this multi-quote, but...UhSir, THANK YOU for this AWESOME recording of the Sam & Jack theme! Any chance you could do the same with Point of View and/or Entity? (And could you maybe PM me with details on what you used to filter out the voices? Pretty please with Sam & Jack and whipped cream on top?! )

First off, Sam Carter was never, from the moment she appeared on screen, a "typical blonde"--she's got some serious brains!

And as for being "background for the main male", well, I'd say that is a perfectly legitimate concern, especially at the time this series kicked off. And both AT and TPTB did a great job of developing her character in her own right. Well, once they got over their uber-feminist kick in the first couple of episodes. But even that, as heavy-handed as it was, helped lay the foundation for Sam as a very strong and independent person (note I said "person", not woman. After Emancipation, gender wasn't too much an issue overall, not as I saw it, anyway.).

My two bits, for whatever its worth...

By staying true to their respect for the Air Force and its accompanying rules and regulations, they created two incredibly honorable characters in Sam & Jack, which made their slow-developing unrequited love story all the more poignant, organic, and realistic.

I still maintain that it was an intended romance from the beginning, but not in the sense that they forced it to fit a pre-conceived notion of how it should develop. The pre-design was in creating the potential between Sam and Jack and casting their characters with consideration for their chemistry.

The way they carried it out, with it building up slowly over years, reaching a critical peak that forced them to acknowledge and subsequently try to bury it for a few more years, before they finally could no longer deny their misery from not being with each other in that way, is what made this romance so utterly captivating, even now, several years after the series has concluded--especially since we all know they're *Fishing* happily ever after!
                    Love and hot fudge,
                    Bren Ren
                    ~
                    My stories!
                    ~

sigpic

Comment

Since the thread is already somewhat in the gutter this morning, here's a cute little fic that should fit right in:

His Desk

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                        It's not got a blessed thing to do with any ship, really. Though it references someone who once had something significant to say about this one (and I guess considering that potato inducing crack on the head she'd owe him, too), so it's *almost* relevant:

It's Not Paranoia

I've written a lot of actual real Sanctuary fics though. That one just.. isn't.. one of them

Oookayyyyy???

Why don't I just read it Jenn

That was just something to cheer it up. Plus you saw how John was...it wasn't my fault that I could say that. So obvious.

I prefer to be holding the fishing rod, or reeling in the fish.

Sorry, fishing stays my favorite...synonym

......YES I'm able to fool people!
                        And it was needed, sometimes a fic needs release like that!
                        Indeed.

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
                        Pheromones. Basically, Sam is "in heat" and Jack is definitely going to notice that!!
                        Yeah, like he notices everything else about her.
                        sigpic
                        sig by Mada
                        As a matter of FIC

Comment

Exactly...really gives a whole new meaning for the 'love comes upon you when you least expect it' thing. After all, she blatantly said that she didn't want a thing between them...and then it did happen...and now from recent conventions she seems to be pretty into S/J being together.

spoilered in response to your gutter
                          Spoiler:
                          And as I'm sure Sam would point out...he uses it very, very well!
                          Well wouldn't you be, I mean to get the chance to kiss RDA....AND GET PAID FOR IT...Heck I would do it for nothing
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                            Well wouldn't you be, I mean to get the chance to kiss RDA....AND GET PAID FOR IT...Heck I would do it for nothing

sigpic
                            My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                              That's Jack major issue in S9 and 10. He misses the wormhole. See, it's still out there in Colorado, and he's stuck in DC most of the time. And he can only go visit it on weekends and holidays and any other time it he can manage to get time off.

No wonder he looks so miserable in DC most of the time.

The irony, of course, is that for years the wormhole was right there and, while he was drawn to it, he never really appreciated it until right before he had to leave.

((Jack))

*cough*

Man. I woke up this afternoon (still working nights) on the weird side of the bed... Should see the Sanctuary Crack!fic I just sent to me beta
                              ROFL! Oh my, you girls are totally cracking me up with the wormhole metaphors

Originally posted by yessika View Post

Bren, you should really do a WP with all of the lovely terms , then I would be able to have them as a background image and laugh every 5 seconds
                              *cough* I may actually have done something very much like that a while ago

I think you explained it just fine, and I agree completely (and with what Bren said). The ship grew out of the characters, and the ship then informed how the characters developed, and it was all so intertwined and natural that it blossomed into something wonderful without being forced.
                              sigpic
                              Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                                http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/bl...thirteen-year/

Scroll down, and this is what Amanda said in 1997 -

From “No Nookie on Stargate SG-1" (Dec. 2, 1997):

When we first started the series, there was talk of starting up something between Jack and Sam, or Sam and Daniel, and we all [nixed] that. Richard and I right away said, ‘Never.’ A, it could never happen because he’s her superior officer, and B, we don’t want it to kill the show. I think the beauty of the relationship between the four of us on the team is this great friendship that we have, and this wonderful respect and admiration for each other. Adding anything into that mix would be silly, because I think right now it works as a team of really good friends.”

spoilered in response to your gutter
                                Spoiler:
                                And as I'm sure Sam would point out...he uses it very, very well!

So Awesome.

Exactly. Can you imagine how cheeseball their relationship would have been had they scripted it in there right away? It would have been ridiculous. It would have turned SG1 into some craptastic teen drama. When I sit and think about it, I'm not sure I would have even watched it if Jack and Sam had been all over one another right away, or Sam and Daniel.

I also totally agree with the sentiments about what it would have done with Sam as a female character on TV. She would have devolved into worthless eye candy, which has been done to insulting death. Amanda is always going to beautiful, but Samantha is useful and a genius.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X