Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
    And that's one of the sources (for me, I can't speak for Twi) that tells me there's more going on there between the three of them - at least from Ba'al towards the others - than meets the eyes.
    Spoiler:

The other thing I adore about scene is the blocking. Sam and Jack are shot almost always squarely together when facing Ba'al, and I get the strong sense of Sam supporting Jack in that faceoff. And even the shots of Ba'al from the front talking to Jack show Sam standing next to Jack as Ba'al speaks to him. It's very clear it's Sam-n-Jack facing Ba'al, not simply Jack, which also speaks to the level of their relationship. (as I think, as we discussed with the punch, Sam knows what happened to Jack and how hard it actually is for Jack to face Ba'al again and is actually consciously supporting him emotionally then.)
    Plus, if you listen closely, you can hear a bit of 'the music' APA refers to as the Angst Theme right there as Jack is dying... *sob*And don't forget, the *way* Cam tells her, "I know what happened back there," implies it was something that happened *to Sam* and not to the rest of them (or he'd have been more specific, as in "I know we just lost half our team..."), some personal trauma, which she has to overcome more than the rest of them. Which implies not only that Sam and Jack are together, but that Cam knows and it's just a generally accepted thing.I was discussing that elsewhere just yesterday, actually, after having rewatched Point of View because, while there are obvious parallels throughout Continuum to PoV in what our guys go through in that timeline to what AU Sam went through in PoV, there is a very specific one right there. If you recall, in PoV when Jack first walks into the infirmary and sees Dr. Carter in the bed, she gets that same look of excitement and hope which is, also, quickly crushed when he speaks to her afterwards she says, "It's not the same between us here, is it?" Even though, as with Sam in Continuum, that Sam knew intellectually and rationally it *couldn't* really be her Jack, on a purely emotional instinctive level she still *reacted* to him as though he were. Which I think is such a *real* reaction - because *every* sense would be screaming it *was* him and I do think that would overcome internal logic. At least momentarily.

Of course, it also speaks to just how emotional Sam really is, beneath the soldier and scientist she shows the world most of the time...I also think it's interesting that, upon learning Charlie is dead, Sam immediately gives up and *knows* it's not her Jack and never can be. By then, I think Sam knows Jack intimately enough - not simply his history but the *effect* that had on him - to know that means he is solidly NOT her Jack.

I believe this is also reflected in the hangar scene with Landry. Not only does Sam seem more emotionally distraught than the other two (Daniel is EATING FCOL and Cam seems almost coldly rational) in that scene, but when Landry questions their right to change the timeline, I get a sense that Sam - more than the boys - almost immediately sees his point and that a part of her agrees. I like to think that's because Charlie is still alive... Because while she doesn't have Jack, that Jack also never experienced the incredible trauma of Charlie's death or the destruction which happened in its wake so it's easier for her to understand on an emotional level how some things in that timeline really are better... This?:
    http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...JF/SamJack.jpg
    As I've said before, we know from other incidents which I won't burn your eyes out with again that this is Flirting!Sam.. not Geek!Sam Further proof it ain't bases on the moon she's actually excited about. See, I think that's as much a Jackism as it is a Jacobism, cause I can absolutely hear Jacob saying it, too (think of their conversation in Enemies, for example) and I think is as much proof that, since Threads, Sam has become more relaxed and more *herself* than anything else. That self, though of course, also means letting herself be with Jack at last

Though you are right, too, because I think in a lot of ways Jack and Jacob are a lot alike (which is probably one of the reasons Jack and Sam are attracted to each other in the first place... er... not simply that he's like her father in any kind of Freudian way but because she's a lot like Jacob herself as Hammond observed in Tok'ra).

I do think, though, Sam's earlier line during the interview: "I don't give a rat's ass" is a pure Jackism and is not something I can hear Jacob Carter saying at all

*happy sigh*

I love that movie.

Yeah, I know I said I had an edited version of 'the real' bits.. but I also said I watch it whole a lot, too

Self-pimpage: My Continuum story (which amazingly even to me still fits within canon) Once Upon a Time which I may have to go reread now myself
    I agree with you LOL. I think I've always picked up on a vibe from Ba'al. I think he likes his women feisty. I also think he enjoys sticking it to O'Neill and he's not stupid (which so incredibly rare for a Goa'uld). Not only is she unattainable (the ultimate challenge) but she's also attached to Jack.

And for your Continuum analysis RIGHT ON... Does anyone remember the fic about the moonbase being a euphemism for fishing which is a euphemism for something else??? You know and they end up in Sam's lab... I'm too lazy to look it up.

I also can't stop laughing at the fact that you used the word "pimpage" I need sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Valerie_Jackson View Post
      *raises hand* I love Moebius!!! Yes I do! I love Moebius and so do you!
      As for the fanfic. I tend to avoid very long fic, but I'll make an exception for these two fics.
      It's okay so does Amanda - I tried to break it up into readable chapters so you can take your time and not have to read it all at once.

Comment

Oh! Oh!

And before I go off and start playing WoW (I'm working the next five nocturnal shifts at work and so am adjusting my schedule), I wanted to share an insight a friend had yesterday while watching Threads. In the scene at the beginning in the commissary between Jacob and Sam, when she asks what he thinks of Pete, Jacob answers, "I know how happy he makes you," which is very interesting phraseology. The 'normal' way to say that would be: "I know he makes you happy." But, see, Jacob doesn't say *that*. And why? Jacob doesn't *mean* that. Because Pete doesn't make Sam happy... And Jacob knows it. That's how happy Pete makes Sam - Not happy at all.

Or, this happy:

Yes, that's right. Look at the happy bride.

Of course, after this:

She walked around looking like this:

Quite possibly because she finally got to do something about this:

Mhmmm.. Gangst for breakfast. Yum!

Comment

Originally posted by Bekki View Post
          *huggles shippers*

Obviously this little shipper has been out of the loop for too long! What is the day of indulgence?
          The Day of Indulgence is a ficathon which effectively encourages authors to *go for it* and write the fic they wouldn't normally write but have always secretly wanted to write.

It's not completely Sam/Jack focused (although I think it used to be as a lot of the authors who've written in the past have written Sam/Jack).

Fics will be due end of Feb and there's no word limit so you can post anything from novel length to drabble. You can find out more HERE
          sigpic
          Women of the Gate LJ Community.
          My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Thanks Rachel

This is very exciting! I'm not really sure what genre I should indulge in...maybe a cliche fic...or baby fic (wait, are they the same?) Or dare I say, smut fic? That could be a challenge!

Ahhh - to think, 12 years since the dawn of the ship, and we still have new things to do! *huggles Sam/Jack*
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
              No no!! I <3 Moebius... but I *love* AUs.

My AU thoughts
              Spoiler:
              The reason I enjoy writing/reading AUs and watching them in sci-fi is because when you have great characters sometimes I have the urge to see them stretched a little. Certain types of shows, like SG-1, have a bit of a reset button they like to push at the end - they might have some residual effects but overall... not so much. Therein lies (IMO) untapped potential to really flesh the character out in ways that we rarely get to see. Moebius is written as more of a humorous AU but in a way it shows us a side of Sam Carter that was "repressed" so to speak. Why was she nerdy? Did her mom not die? Did that cause her to lack confidence in herself... what was her mother like? When I write AU personally it let's me contemplate hidden aspects of the character and help me understand why the character is the way that he or she is. Granted, I think they just wanted to do a fun episode... and let AT use some of that GREAT comedy... but still...

One of the reasons I like writing AU and fic for S/J is because I find their characters both fascinating and full of unexplored potential (as I mentioned before). I don't have an interest in fanfic for Dexter, or House, or Lost... they push their characters in extreme ways and let me see what I crave. SG-1 doesn't. Does that make sense?
              Oh, I think it makes perfect sense. I would imagine writers did all this AU scripts for the same reason. There were things they always wanted to do/write, but because of a character of the show weren't able. Some interesting areas could have never been explored, unless in AU (what exactly Rachel said about Continuum).IMO AU serves mostly a character development and secondly story telling.
              Now, does that make sense? ('cause I think Moebius is a bit of exception)
              sigpic

Comment

Great job Bren!!!

And now... drumroll please...

I HAVE COMPLETED IT!!!

Professional Boundaries is now complete!!

You could have had a baby in the time it took me to get this done.
                I've been working on one while you were working on the sequel, and he's not done yet, so you're good.

Off to read! thanks for letting us know that it's done!

Comment

smile by zuz
                  sigpic

Comment

Bren - I think we have lots of proof they're together. But my favorite comparison is:

[]http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp100/Twilight506/Stargate/099a_Continuum.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Look at her eyes... now... look at this:

[]http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp100/Twilight506/Stargate/039_DivideConquer.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

See something similar???

Oh yeah baby... the angst proves it LOL
                    it proves they care about it each other not that they're together

Comment

So, in trying to finally instill some sort of order to the utter chaos that is my ffnet account, I've discovered I'd failed to post the M-rated version of Belonging, my EDM fill-in ficlette, to either LJ or ffnet. So I've posted it to LJ, and it's accessible for anyone who might be interested from my main LJ page It's at the time of this posting the top entry.

EDIT: OMG.. and I thought cleaning off a desk was hard work!!
                      Last edited by JenniferJF; 08 January 2010, 04:36 AM.

Comment

YAaaaaaaaaaaay *huggles Twi* you finished the fic! Good good! now I want a fluttery epilogue

Rachel as for your doubt to write stranded fic or baby!fic...perhaps write a combination of the two! I would love to see that Squees!

sigpic

Comment

Shippers put your hands in the air
                          and swing 'em like you just don't care
                          Move to right, move to left
                          Move cause our ship is still the best

**dances around**

**Sorry I'm just in that kinda mood this morning**

Great job Bren!!!

I HAVE COMPLETED IT!!!

Professional Boundaries is now complete!! It is a sequel/companion piece to the also complete:

Supposed Crime which was started in MAY of 2009. :: falls over ::

You could have had a baby in the time it took me to get this done. However it is a long piece (both are) so be prepared...

For those wondering it's AU!
                          Congratulations!!!!

Originally posted by BrenRen View Post
                          Good evening, Shippers!

I just did something I have done in quite a while. I watched Conintuum--start to finish, even!

And, since the last couple times I'd seen it were during my little sabbatical from the thread here, I haven't ever really delved in to any sort of real analytical dissection of the story... So I thought I'd make up for it with the following...

The Shipper Chronicles: Stargate Continuum

Summary:

As if we didn’t already have enough reason to hate Ba’al, he kills Jack again, mucks up the timeline and forces Sam to live a full year without Jack.
                          Spoiler:

SQUEES:
                          Ba’al knows! Ba’al asks how Jack’s doing. Cut to Jack telling him he’s a pretty happy camper. Cut back to Ba’al, whose gaze slides from Jack over to Sam as he says knowingly, “Good for you.” It seemed pretty clear thru my rosy Shipper lenses that Ba'al knows exactly what the score is between Jack and Sam.

Sam’s voice. In particular, right after Jack is stabbed and tells them to leave for the gate, she tells him “Not without you.” There is such incredible depth of emotion in that brief little line—delivered with the perfect amount of tortured anguish by the brilliant AT. Also on board the boat right after their time warp. Sam is obviously distraught and distracted, and Cam tells her he knows what happened back there, but they need her in the ‘here and now’. She tries valiantly to shake it off and pull the good soldier mask back on, but does not manage to conceal the pain in her eyes or her voice.

Speaking of, Sam’s eyes. Such wonderful pain (yup, my inner-angst-lover is showing again) haunts poor Sam’s eyes from the moment Jack is stabbed… until she meets AlterJack on the ice. For a very brief time, a little light comes back into her eyes… until it is abruptly extinguished when AlterJack reveals that his son is alive and well. Right after that line, there’s a cut back to Sam as that spark of life dies, never to be seen again—well, until they get out to Ba’al’s temporal device, when once again, hope flares back up when she gets the chance to fix the timeline.

Frooties… A cheap imitation, but the closest thing she can get in this life she’s not supposed to be living.

The look on Sam’s face when she tells Jack she was hoping to go over plans for the new moonbase. <Moonbase! Giggle!>

“What further instruction could there be other than, ‘Kiss your ass goodbye!’?” Yeah, Jack is definitely rubbing off on her—I could practically hear his voice over hers delivering that cute little line.

Woo Hoo’s:
                          Daniel dies again!
                          Major Yummy! Er… Major Davies!
                          Hayes is still the President!
                          Below the belt—Teal’c gets shot—twice—by the wicked Jaffa… right in the nether region. That had to hurt.
                          I didn’t think it was possible, but AlterDaniel was even more of a geek!
                          The Russians saved the day!
                          Teal’c’s last line: “Indeed.”

Nit-picks:
                          AlterGeneral Hammond. He should’ve recognized Sam. If AlterSam ended up an astronaut in absence of the Stargate program, there’s little doubt in my mind that her father would still have been an AF General, so why wouldn’t Jacob & George have known each other in the Alternate Timeline, as they had in ours for a significant time according to their own exposition?

Neither Jack nor Sam got the chance to deliver a vindicating kill shot at one of the Ba’al’s. Jack should’ve pulled out a zat and fired a quick triple burst at the symbiote post-extraction. That would’ve been so very satisfying for all parties.

Daniel’s line at the end, wondering what Ba’al meant when he said they were making a big mistake. If it were my script, he’d have said something more like, “I wonder if Ba’al has any idea you and your grandfather killed his clone in 1939.” Especially in consideration of the picture of Cam and Gramps in Cam’s locker.

Overall:

Eight and a half out of ten fluttering hearts for a fun ride loaded with lovely, subtle Shippy Angst, with a bonus Gutter Splash for the Moonbase! <Moonbase! Giggle!>
                          [FONT=Times New Roman] EDIT: A little rethinking after reading Rachel's great Continuum post a page back led me to bumping the overall rating up a point. [/FONT
                          ]
                          I also like when they are talking to AU Jack in the sub infirmary.

Sam begins explaining things to him and says ".... where among other things, I'm not an astronaut."

She looks at him tellingly, her eyes showing there's so much more to that statement than the words she's saying.

Also one of my favourties **shippy sigh**

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                          Yes, Trinity, that's the name of the new SG-1 movie.
                          Yay!!

Thanks.

Originally posted by OffWorldJourney View Post
                          Jack should marry Samantha Carter.
                          Welcome to this world Probie.

Have fun.

Originally posted by siles View Post
                          it proves they care about it each other not that they're together
                          There are different levels of care. That kind of pained expression only comes from caring for someone intimately.
                          sigpic
                          sig by Mada
                          As a matter of FIC

Comment

Great job Bren!!!

I HAVE COMPLETED IT!!!

Professional Boundaries is now complete!! It is a sequel/companion piece to the also complete:

Supposed Crime which was started in MAY of 2009. :: falls over ::

You could have had a baby in the time it took me to get this done. However it is a long piece (both are) so be prepared...

For those wondering it's AU!
                            It was totally excellent! I enjoyed the whole series from beginning to end! And in a sense, you did have a baby--your wonderful fic!

*raises hand in camp who loves Moebius and believes Jack and Sam are soooo married!*

*Squeeees*
                            sigpic
                            Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

It's okay so does Amanda - I tried to break it up into readable chapters so you can take your time and not have to read it all at once.
                              If it makes you happy Twilight, I read your last chapter last night....just so ya know...I knew the ending.

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                              It was totally excellent! I enjoyed the whole series from beginning to end! And in a sense, you did have a baby--your wonderful fic!

*raises hand in camp who loves Moebius and believes Jack and Sam are soooo married!*

*Squeeees*
                              *squees with you*

Oh and I think I know why you love Moebius....*lifts eyebrow*

Oh Jenn totally agree with what you said about Continuum. It's too early for me to add anything to what you said.

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
                              Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
                              Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I feel like re-watching Continuum and Moebius... Maybe tomorrow
                                I am a slow fanfic reader but I can do long fics, some of the best I've read are long fics
                                sigpic
                                Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Working...
                                X