Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slightly off-topic...
    I say slightly cuz this is about my videos and most of those are shippy.

Can I ask a favor from you guys? I'm trying to decide how to manage my video listings. I've set up a little poll over at my LiveJournal. You'd help me out a bunch by letting me know what your preference is as well as any suggestions you can offer. The post is public so anyone can see and comment on it, but you have to have an LJ account to vote. If you don't have an LJ account and would rather not comment there publicly I'd be happy if you send a PM to me here at Gateworld.

Click here to see the poll

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
      Spoiler:
      Oh honey, I'm so terribly sorry. I wish there was something I could do to help.
      Honestly, I get comfort just being able to come here and distract myself for a little while. So you are doing something to help.

(((Shippers)))

sigpic
      The Return of King Arthur
      Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
      acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

sigpic
        The Return of King Arthur
        Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
        acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Now to be totally on-topic:
          SWAK!
          P.S. I just discovered the above delectible gif hiding on my computer. If you made it or know who did please let me know so I can give proper credit. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
            Darn It, I leave for a day and I'm 6 pages behind!
            Yeah, it seems we all started writing novel-length posts. Or at least novellas. And here's another one to add to the pile...

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
            I totally think there are double meanings in many of the episodes and agree. In fact, I made a play on that one specifically within my latest Being There installments and, really, most of those chapter titles are themselves plays on the actual title
            I see *everything* in the whole entire world through my thick rosy Shipper lenses. And I do mean *everything*. So I'm sure you can imagine the numerous chuckles the episode titles have given me over the years. Especially when you add my Gutter-Dweller status into consideration. "Beachhead" anyone?
            {SNIP!} Then I have this image of The Network Note from Shipper Hell which kept them from absolutely confirming 100% that Sam and Jack were really together in S9 and then also in S10 because 'the suits' in that oxymoron referred to as Conventional TV Wisdom wanted to keep their options open in that regard as long as possible. So, while it was generally accepted at that point that Sam's backstory was Sam-with-Jack, and that's how she was written and played by most of those involved, it was never confirmed outright on screen Just In Case.
            <Nodding my head in vigorous agreement.>

Can I just say scream, I HATE CONVENTIONAL TV WISDOM!!!!!

That is all I have to say on that matter at this time. I reserve the right to rant later.

{Another SNIP!}Plus, of course, there is the very real fact that in keeping resolution vague they avoid infuriating that very real segment of Stargate fandom that does NOT want Sam and Jack to get together... Though from what I've seen of TPTB, I really can't see fear of angering fans as being much of a motivation for them.
            Uh... Yeah. No kidding. Affinity woulda been a whole 'nother story if they feared angering a significant portion of their fanbase! (Hey, that mag we were quoting earlier called us "A large and very vocal portion of the show's fans"! I was part of that! Yay us!!!)

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
            Oooh no missy. You don't go back to lurking quite so easily you know. You're back now and we love you (well I do anyway ) and we want more of you.

Pretty please with a Jack on top?

*lassoes APA and drags her back into the thread*
            Pretty please with Sam&Jack on top?

Yep, I know; when I got my M/S BHK it made me angry and think "too bloody late mate" rather than squee.
            Yeah, well... I was so ticked off I didn't even see the Series Finale until last spring. And it's one of the only three episodes of that last season that I have ever watched.

With Sam and Jack, though they came close, they didn't destroy their characters completely by the time they finally let them be together, and the overall payoff after they put us through the *Other*-Angst ringer has been quite satisfying in that leave-'em'-wanting-more sort of way. But I, like so many of you, am still waiting for that big honkin' final pay-off. The one that makes suffering through those certain detestable scenes in Chimera and a horribly painful moment in Sam's lab during Affinity worth the effort of hanging in there all this time.

Yup. I'm talkin' *Fishing*. In all its made-for-Shippers-DVD-glory.

One other thing - just a random rambling based on something someone (Pol I think) said. I do believe that resolution was the endgame yes. Maybe not from the very start but certainly once it became apparent that it was a huge part of who these characters were and what motivated them.
            Actually, I think that was me. I said I've always known that Sam-and-Jack-together was part of SG1's endgame. And I'll always believe deep in my heart that is was there from the very start. Just a small little detail, not quite the major plot point it became. But just as I knew the good guys would eventually beat the snakehead bad guys once and for all, I knew the hero would get his beautiful, brilliant, tough, alien-ass-kicking girl in the end, and I knew it the moment Sam's silhouette walked into the frame. (BTW, can I say that *that* is one of the most awesomely sexy first entrances by a leading lady ever?!!)

I keep thinking about Lost City and how this was originally supposed to be the script for the first movie - before they decided on a season 7 instead - and how the original script was much shippier and had that longed for kiss. The fact that they originally wrote a movie with resolution/confirmation in it just proves that it was the intent of TPTB all along.
            EXACTLY!!!

The only reason we got the "dumbed down" (for wont of a better phrase) version when Lost City became season 7 finale was because another series was on the cards and it would have changed the dynamic drastically... which is kind of bizzare to say, since the dynamic did change in season 8 anyway with Jack being made General, and even more so in seasons 9 and 10 with the new guys. In other words, they might as well have done it. *shrugs*
            They might as well have done it *right*. But they didn't... <le sigh...>

If I had one (very minor) gripe, it's that with things as they were in seasons 9 and 10, I think they could have been less ambigous about it. It would not have needed much; a phone call, an inquiry from Daniel to Sam about how Jack was, whatever. Say it, acknowledge it and get on with it; we don't need to see it if you really don't want to actually show tongue action.
            Like I said above, I'm still waiting for the payoff that makes it worth having suffered through 25 episodes of *Other* story-arc that included a nauseating bedroom scene, a horrible morning after, stalkeresque behavior, and a frelling marriage proposal. I JUST WANT ONE HONEST TO GOD REAL KISS!!!

I have two theories why they kept the ambiguity:
            The first is that actually confirming it, even verbally, would upset the anti shippers too much. Although I'd counter that the anti-shipper argument is usually something like they don't want romance in sci fi / don't want the Sam/Jack show. A breif mention would have been neither so, if that's thre reason - and anti shippers got upset over that - I'd've be inclined to tell them to get over themsleves and stop being picky.
            Honestly, I never saw these PTB really catering to the anti's overmuch. Certainly nothing compared to, say... how CC & Co dealt with that fan-faction. If anything, it's the Shipper fanbase the Stargate PTB have been most interactive with over the years. Like Sally just mentioned, back when we started going totally ballistic over the impending proposal scene, the great Joe Mallozzi himself came online in *our* thread to publicly reassure us. *We* were the squeaky wheel, and we got greased.

The second reason I can think is that the deliberately wanted to keep it that way because they knew, somewhere down the line, there would be a movie franchise and they wanted to keep confirmation - proper on screen BHK type confirmation - for that.

I'd like to credit them with the forethought to do the latter but, honestly, I just think they lost the way a bit, thinking out of sight out of mind when, clearly, that wasn't the case. I think they certainly know that now, and have made attempts in more recent years to address that.

All of which leads me to conclude that movie #3 will bring that moment we've all been waiting for.
            I think your second reason may well have been a valid factor in their consideration, but I also agree that they lost their way a bit. Or more to the point, they didn't fully appreciate the fans' response to the *Other* character and story-arc, and so didn't adequately weight that payoff at the end to balance the love-scales.

You know, if they'd started the scene at the end of Threads/Moebius with an afterglowy morning after moment *inside* the cabin that proceeded into the sweet little team moment before the fade to black... I'd probably have been able to go back and actually watch those *Other* scenes without that squicky feeling that persists to this day.

PTB, take notes. Lots and lots of notes. We're waiting. Still. Sometimes patiently, even. Make it worth our wait! Our long, angst-ridden over-a-decade wait!

Big Honkin' Kiss!
            Big Honkin' Kiss!
            Big Honkin' Kiss!
            Last edited by BrenRen; 04 January 2010, 08:45 AM.
            Love and hot fudge,
            Bren Ren
            ~
            My stories!
            ~

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kusanagi View Post
              Hi everyone

Ok, i'm gonna quote myself now (is that even possible?), 'couse really want to know. Sorry for asking again but:

Well I did actually answer that right after you asked.

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
              OT Pets
              Spoiler:
              We lost our little puppy last night. After making it through the night, and an 80 mile transfer between clinics, and an emergency surgery, he let go last night.

Many hugs and thanks to everyone who was thinking and praying for my family. You're support is so greatly appreciated.
              Spoiler:

Hugs. I am sorry for your loss.

I hope this can bring you some comfort: http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

(comes with a hankie warning because it's sad but very beautiful).

sigpic

Comment

Canon.. Canon...

What does Jennifer think of canon?

Anyone remember?

I think canon is a silly term, especially for an art form like TV, in which so many different artist's and their individual interpretations and beliefs go into the making of the cohesive (hopefully) whole. {Snippity Snip Snip!}... In other words, interpretations of art like TV shows still require evidence and proof and arguments from within the art itself to justify them. You can write an entire series of stories based around the fact that Daniel can fly, and that's fine within your personal 'canon', and you might find a hundred people who are willing to believe it with you, but based on Stargate itself, it's still less valid IMHO than an interpretation which says Daniel *can't* fly. Yet, at the same time, it's still a valid interpretation and if you want to believe Daniel can fly, who am I to stop you?
                Watch out! Flying Space Monkey at Six O'Clock!

So are secondary media types in the same universe as primary media types still 'canon' within that universe? Or, in other words, are the Star Trek books canon? Or the Batman movies? Or the Warcraft books, for that matter?

They are if the given interpretor of that universe chooses to embrace them as part of his or her personal universe, and establishes that as a parameter in their argument supporting their interpretation.
                "Canon", such as it is, is every bit as subjective as time itself.

Seriously... the watched pot never boils, but time flies when your having fun! (And so does Daniel! ) (Oh no... look what you've started!!! This is All Your Fault! And it isn't mine at all!)

*I* saw a Ship that took off at the very beginning of the show, but many, even including the occasional PTB, did't see it 'beginning' until the third season. Some have to see to believe... I believe, and so I see.

{Snipped reluctantly... very well said, though!}

Or, in other words, if you wanna believe Daniel can fly, more power to you. Just don't expect me to believe it, too, unless you have a REALLY good argument
                Fly, Space Monkey, Fly! You're free! Free as a bird! Just watch out for airplanes... and space ships... and the occasional flying superhero. They can be deadly, and you know what a track record you have!

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
                I'm with you guys I have it as well. Great book!

Actually I think I read it for school. We had to pick a book taking place in the 1900's and he said "Well...ST was made in the 60's...so go for it." And with TNG being ST still...he let me read it.

Can you say, Coolest. Teacher. Ever.

Mostly OT Book Talk:

Spoiler:
                My seventh grade english teacher, way, way, way back when, had us read the novel that the film Princess Bride was based on. Amazing and hysterical read if you haven't picked it up yet, btw. But... reading Imzadi for school... that is just way to freaking cool!

I even quoted the book in one of my fics. I love it that much. I even had to buy a second hard cover copy after wearing the first paperback out from too many readings.

Good gravy, I wish Peter David would jump Ship and write for Sam and Jack... er, Stargate. Oh, not a Shippy book, but another great one he co-authored is called "I, Q.." The other author? Q himself, John de Lancie. That book is a riot.

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                *grabs shippy glasses* hmmm, nope there is absolutely nothing wrong with your shippy glasses whatsoever. They are in perfect working condition *hands shippy glasses back to Bren*
                Thanks, hun! Always good to get a spot check once in a while!
                Last edited by BrenRen; 04 January 2010, 09:33 AM.
                Love and hot fudge,
                Bren Ren
                ~
                My stories!
                ~

sigpic

Comment

On subtle ship v in-your-face confirmation

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
                  I'll join you two and Cags - as long as the ship is not contradicted, I'm happy. YES I want the BHK and would squee to death at confirmation, but as far as I'm concerned, they're together. Period.
                  ^^This I agree with Jenn and APA and Cags that the beauty of this ship is its subtlety. It's so clever, and I adore that it just is, all throughout the series. If it had ended with S8, I would have been entirely 100% happy with Threads and the fishing, and tbh I am, really, even though we have had so much since. It's just because it's gone on that I've found myself wanting some kind of confirmation of what we all know to be true to be slipped in somewhere, somehow - and really, that's because I feel the lack of ship in those episodes since as compared to before, when every episode has looks and interaction at the very least. But I'm happy with the shippy stuff we've got - I loved what we had in Continuum, for example, and I loved the dialogue in Air and the photos in SGA - and I won't die if we don't get anything more (though if we get movie 3 then I'm certain we will ). They're together, I know they are, Threads told me, and the hints since have backed that up, and as long as they don't do anything on-screen to contradict that I'm happy

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                  OT Pets
                  Spoiler:
                  We lost our little puppy last night. After making it through the night, and an 80 mile transfer between clinics, and an emergency surgery, he let go last night.

Many hugs and thanks to everyone who was thinking and praying for my family. You're support is so greatly appreciated.
                  Spoiler:
                  *hugs* So sorry to hear that We lost my nan's dog over Christmas too I know exactly what you're going through - he was part of the family, and we all sat with him as he died, and it was awful So huge sympathy for you and your family.

And, *clears throat*

EPISODE OF THE WEEK VIEWING
                  Nemesis/Small Victories
                  Tonight at
                  9pm UK Time!
                  (In 2 and a half hours)

sigpic
                  Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Jenn... This one is All. Your. Fault.

It is my regret to report to you that efforts to contain DanielJackson have been unsuccessful since he began flying.
                    On the upside, he's far more easily distracted than ever. Just point up and say, "Hey, Daniel, look! A convenient distraction!" and he's gone. He's out soaring a couple miles overhead now, in fact.
                    So here's what we do... We get a little box of sparkly confetti, about this big, and we toss it in the air up on the top of the mountain. It oughtta take the Flying Space Monkey a good couple of hours to find all the shiny pieces.

And whilest looking for that cap, I found these pics, from the lovely Season Eight episode Sacrifices...

It's the end of the wedding, and Ryac is just about to kiss his bride.

Sam closes her eyes...

And when she opens them, she's turned to stare at Jack with that
                    beautiful, glowing smile of hers that only really lights up for him.

<Great big happy Shippy sigh>

EDIT: And if you look closely at Jack's eyes... You can see he's looking down in the first shot. You can see that Sam has caught his eye in the shot where her eyes are closed. And if you pay really close attention to shot #3, you can see that he's making direct eye-contact with her from the corner of his eye. And *his* smile... shifts ever so slightly. But I'll leave the interpretations of that smile to each your own subjective Shipper lenses.
                    Last edited by BrenRen; 04 January 2010, 10:02 AM.
                    Love and hot fudge,
                    Bren Ren
                    ~
                    My stories!
                    ~

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
                      P.S. I just discovered the above delectible gif hiding on my computer. If you made it or know who did please let me know so I can give proper credit. Thanks!
                      I may be wrong, but I think that slow version is Jann's

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
                        I may be wrong, but I think that slow version is Jann's
                        Right. Okay. Um. Which one of you is Jann? Forgive my lameness but I know very few of you by your real names.

Comment

Right. Okay. Um. Which one of you is Jann? Forgive my lameness but I know very few of you by your real names.
                          Sorry, that's Starlover
                          Last edited by Jumble; 04 January 2010, 10:43 AM.

Comment

SWAK!
                            I made that gif, and many of the others posted here. I kept the image tags on just to look at it again.

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                            sugarshaker, honey, welcome home!!

remember when we freaked about the pete-proposal pic so much, that joe mallozzi came in to calm us down?
                            I remember those days. Also the days where all the shippers here contributed to the letter we all sent to TPTB.

I also remember the anticipation leading up to the first airing of "Threads". Expectations were high that we would finally see Sam and Jack together. What we got was a disappointment for many, many shippers. Shippers that had been through it all here (and the old Delphi Forum). This was when we lost a great many posters.
                            The Boys at Bridge knew RDA was leaving, so why couldn’t we have seen some on-screen confirmation? Even if they were thinking about the movies, I fail to see how Sam and Jack being together would interfere with the action of the storyline. Even the most ardent shippers wouldn’t expect to see Sam and Jack making-out every two minutes. (much as they would love it )

I think s9 made things worse. Much as I think Cooper wrote some good episodes, I also think he was a terrible show-runner. He didn’t know what to do with AT/Sam, especially as he now had some new ‘fun’ characters to play with. Jack was never mentioned by his friends (and lover). This is the same Cooper that said we all had ‘issues’ when the fans – shippers and non-shippers – complained about the stalker character of Pete.
                            They can say all they want now about the ship in interviews, but none of it matters to me until I see it.

I need to see on-screen confirmation. I’ve been through the wringer with these guys, a roller coaster of a journey that, much as I enjoyed it for the most part, I want to get off the ride now. I’ve been strung along for twelve years, and I want to see my big honkin’ kiss!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                              I made that gif, and many of the others posted here. I kept the image tags on just to look at it again.
                              Sorry Bev, I thought it was Jann because I know she made a slow version of it

Comment

Originally posted by brenren View Post

like i said above, i'm still waiting for the payoff that makes it worth having suffered through 25 episodes of *other* story-arc that included a nauseating bedroom scene, a horrible morning after, stalkeresque behavior, and a frelling marriage proposal. I just want one honest to god real kiss!!!

AMEN!!!!

Originally posted by cagranosalis View Post
                                For me, a lot of the reason for that was fear that, frankly, it would go the way of other ships that i'd seen mangled. Like some others on here i was a huge mulder / scully shipper and... Well i'll save you the fuming rant i normally spew forth but i still haven't really gotten over the fact they had this wonderful, perfect, beautiful, sexy, angsty thing and they ruined it so badly that, by the time they were prepared to show them as a couple, most of us shippers didn't care. Yep, i know; when i got my m/s bhk it made me angry and think "too bloody late mate" rather than squee. :s
                                anyway, i came out of that thinking it's far too stupid to take a tv show so seriously to get that upset over it (plus a whole heap of personal life stuff going on) and i guess i vowed not to do the same again.

Hmm, it's a bit like a bad relationship. I made quite a habit of picking bad ships for quite some time.

o_o NO COMMENT!
                                sigpic
                                My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Working...
                                X