Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
    Okay...I have a fluff problem, I'll admit it.

I just took my dogs out and was thinking fluffy things and my Mom asked me if I was okay...I asked why and she said "because you have this funny smile on your face...it's like your laughing at something..."...

Yes, I am a fluff addict...and I need help.

Angst people, angst!!

How bout this?

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
      How bout this?
      D'awww. I know I've read that from APA before, still love it though....actually I'm thinking of reading her 'Out of Time' again. ()

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
      Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
      Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

(I told you I'm not into AUs )
        Okay I have to know - WHY do you avoid AUs? I mean I generally avoid established because... well... I just love UST and I enjoy the moment UST turns to RST and since we HAVE RST I have to retreat to an AU to get my fix. Yes. It is an addiction.

Comment

D'awww. I know I've read that from APA before, still love it though....actually I'm thinking of reading her 'Out of Time' again. ()
          You should read her new Shipma....

Ah...

Never mind.

Comment

Okay...I have a fluff problem, I'll admit it.

I just took my dogs out and was thinking fluffy things and my Mom asked me if I was okay...I asked why and she said "because you have this funny smile on your face...it's like your laughing at something..."...

Yes, I am a fluff addict...and I need help.

Angst people, angst!!

What is wrong with Fluff. I mean could anything ever be wrong with to much fluff?
            sigpic
            GO NEWMAN! 31!

Comment

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
              Okay I have to know - WHY do you avoid AUs? I mean I generally avoid established because... well... I just love UST and I enjoy the moment UST turns to RST and since we HAVE RST I have to retreat to an AU to get my fix. Yes. It is an addiction.
              In fics or on the show itself? Cause I'm a purist both ways (won't use pics of AT/RDA or AUs/dreams to represent 'real' Sam/Jack generally, either. Case in point:

Explanation (in spoilers cause most people won't care):
              Spoiler:
              Because, only IMHO of course, AUs are, necessarily, OoC. Sure, they're 'what ifs', but given we are each a sum of the events in our life as much as a sum of our DNA, a Sam and Jack who have been through events different from those 'our' Sam and Jack have been through are, necessarily, not the same people as our Sam and Jack. Maybe it's the scientist in me.. I dunno. And I realize a story which takes place at a specific point in the series with a different event and veers off from there might be a sort of character play on what-if that had happened to Sam and Jack, given their natures, and how would they have reacted... But at the end of the day, ultimately, it's still not OUR Sam and Jack. Because that never happened to Sam and Jack.

See. Purist...

But even more than that, and this may seem to contradict what I just said, I do believe there are certain innate characteristics, caused by basic nature or the events of their lives, which cause Sam and Jack to act the way they do and to make the choices they do within the series. So, for example, having Sam and Jack get together, to say "Screw the Regulations" et al, just isn't THEM. If it were, they would have DONE IT. And for them to chose to do something like that (and that's just one example) in a fic is to change the basic nature of who they are.

I also believe Sam and Jack as characters have been drawn so complexly that there are very specific reasons the events in their lives had to play out very similarly to the way they did - for them to be given the opportunity to work through their issues at their own pace and to be able to come together after having worked through those issues - which actually makes them stronger and more complete both as individuals and as a couple. Events, basically, didn't dictate the choices and decisions they made. They made those decisions *around* those events, and sometimes those events were the catalysts, but for it to have played out differently I think would have led to disaster. A Sam and Jack who had given in to temptation, or a Jack who hadn't worked through his fear of loss, or a Sam who still felt like she was breaking the rules and failing to live up to her father's expectations (as examples) wouldn't be the strong and secure people I believe they've become on screen.

So I guess, at the end of the day, I *like* the story we were told and have no desire to change who Sam and Jack are or were. When I write (or read) fanfic, I'm interested in adding to canon, to exploring more fully who the Sam and Jack on screen are, and what *their* motivations and feelings are and were. I'm not interested in either taking those characters as drawn, or slightly different characters with the same names, and placing them in different situations and seeing what happens. There's nothing wrong with doing that (of course). Its just not 'my thing'.

I dunno *why*. It's just not
              And hopefully, since you asked the question, some of that makes sense to you.

And, to make up for the relative lack of real substance in this post, a piccie I don't think I've posted in awhile:

EDIT: Or, in thinking about it, to take your UST to RST example, UST to RST is just fine, but I believe I know how that happened (or about when and why) for Sam and Jack. It's okay to read a story about when it happens for other characters, but they're not Sam and Jack, even if they have the same names and work at the SGC.
              Last edited by JenniferJF; 13 December 2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

You should read her new Shipma....

Ah...

Never mind.

Evil Jenn! EVVVVILLL!!!

Originally posted by cess525 View Post
                What is wrong with Fluff. I mean could anything ever be wrong with to much fluff?
                *hugs B* See! That's what I want to know. I don't understand...

Speaking of fluff...a new fic by me...it'll be 12 things that Jack gave Sam while she was on Atlantis and I'll be posting a chapter a day between now and Christmas.

The Heart Longs for Home

Comment

On a slightly related note, the reason I love S/J established is because, given I won't contradict canon, it's the only place you can go from Angst to fluff or gutter. Or, as you said, from the tension of desire to satisfaction

Comment

Speaking of fluff...a new fic by me...it'll be 12 things that Jack gave Sam while she was on Atlantis and I'll be posting a chapter a day between now and Christmas.

The Heart Longs for Home

*cough*

That's angst, you know. Right? Very nice angst, though

Comment

In fics or on the show itself? Cause I'm a purist both ways (won't use pics of AT/RDA or AUs/dreams to represent 'real' Sam/Jack generally, either. Case in point:
                      http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...igs/IfOnly.jpg

Explanation (in spoilers cause most people won't care):
                      Spoiler:
                      Because, only IMHO of course, AUs are, necessarily, OoC. Sure, they're 'what ifs', but given we are each a sum of the events in our life as much as a sum of our DNA, a Sam and Jack who have been through events different from those 'our' Sam and Jack have been through are, necessarily, not the same people as our Sam and Jack. Maybe it's the scientist in me.. I dunno. And I realize a story which takes place at a specific point in the series with a different event and veers off from there might be a sort of character play on what-if that had happened to Sam and Jack, given their natures, and how would they have reacted... But at the end of the day, ultimately, it's still not OUR Sam and Jack. Because that never happened to Sam and Jack.

See. Purist...

But even more than that, and this may seem to contradict what I just said, I do believe there are certain innate characteristics, caused by basic nature or the events of their lives, which cause Sam and Jack to act the way they do and to make the choices they do within the series. So, for example, having Sam and Jack get together, to say "Screw the Regulations" et al, just isn't THEM. If it were, they would have DONE IT. And for them to chose to do something like that (and that's just one example) in a fic is to change the basic nature of who they are.

I also believe Sam and Jack as characters have been drawn so complexly that there are very specific reasons the events in their lives had to play out very similarly to the way they did - for them to be given the opportunity to work through their issues at their own pace and to be able to come together after having worked through those issues - which actually makes them stronger and more complete both as individuals and as a couple. Events, basically, didn't dictate the choices and decisions they made. They made those decisions *around* those events, and sometimes those events were the catalysts, but for it to have played out differently I think would have led to disaster. A Sam and Jack who had given in to temptation, or a Jack who hadn't worked through his fear of loss, or a Sam who still felt like she was breaking the rules and failing to live up to her father's expectations (as examples) wouldn't be the strong and secure people I believe they've become on screen.

So I guess, at the end of the day, I *like* the story we were told and have no desire to change who Sam and Jack are or were. When I write (or read) fanfic, I'm interested in adding to canon, to exploring more fully who the Sam and Jack on screen are, and what *their* motivations and feelings are and were. I'm not interested in either taking those characters as drawn, or slightly different characters with the same names, and placing them in different situations and seeing what happens. There's nothing wrong with doing that (of course). Its just not 'my thing'.

I dunno *why*. It's just not
                      And hopefully, since you asked the question, some of that makes sense to you.

And, to make up for the relative lack of real substance in this post, a piccie I don't think I've posted in awhile:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o156/JenniferJF/th_Lie.gif

EDIT: Or, in thinking about it, to take your UST to RST example, UST to RST is just fine, but I believe I know how that happened (or about when and why) for Sam and Jack. It's okay to read a story about when it happens for other characters, but they're not Sam and Jack, even if they have the same names and work at the SGC.
                      AU Thoughts

Spoiler:
                      No it totally makes sense and that's cool that it's not your thing. The only point I would disagree with is that all AU is necessarily OoC. I guess I see that there are innate characteristics and the question is - how would they handle "x"? You're right though that at that point they stop being OUR S/J. That's where I'm okay with that, but when I'm reading it I expect those personalities to still exist. (Actually in one of my AU fics when Sam studied the mirror she had a conversation with Orlin about it. The way I had him explain it, there are not infinite numbers of universes but only a finite number - but that number is astronomically large. As it stands, there is no universe in which "our" Sam "type" exists that would say, murder Daniel in cold blood. However, there may exist a Sam that would such a thing but the branch off would have happened far in advance of the current time period, say during her childhood.).

It does come down to interest. You want to see canon expanded because you like the story. I myself am rather bored with canon. I want to see different aspects of their personality. I want to know "what if"? I don't want to change the canon on the show, but I want to take the characters in my own corner of the world and play with them. They're still Sam/Jack as far as I'm concerned, just because I write AU doesn't mean (in my mind) that they can now behave however they want. Am I making sense here?

Besides, why do I want to write more canon stories when others, like you, do it so well?

Comment

AU Thoughts

Spoiler:
                        No it totally makes sense and that's cool that it's not your thing.
                        I'm just relieved I actually made sense. At least to you, cause it is sort of a hard and nebulous (which, I know, is an oxymoron) thing to explain lol.

Comment

*cough*

That's angst, you know. Right? Very nice angst, though
                          Shhh...it's supposed to be fluff. I'm surprised Twilight didn't have a heart attack..

Comment

I'm just relieved I actually made sense. At least to you, cause it is sort of a hard and nebulous (which, I know, is an oxymoron) thing to explain lol.
                            No I totally get it and hey, fanfic is for entertainment right? I think AU, in canon, etc are like "genres" in fanfic and not everyone is going to enjoy the same thing. My disappointment with canon was that I felt as though they never stretched the characters as far as I wanted them to which is what leads me to write AU.

And like I said, my desire to see "in canon" stories is satisfied with things like your stories, Pol's Campfires/Embrace Me, Rachel's Aftershocks, etc. I *like* heck *love* those stories and I don't feel the need to add anything - that's not to say I don't have the urge to explore certain things (I really want to explore Sam post-Jolinar and I did a little with my MacKenzie/Sam fic I wrote which is IC). You guys do such a great job to the point that like I said, I generally don't like S/J established and I think it's really b/c you all set the bar that high

:: goes off to her little corner of the AU angst cavern :: <-- you'll have to find a quantum mirror to find me LOL

Comment

:: goes off to her little corner of the AU angst cavern :: <-- you'll have to find a quantum mirror to find me LOL
                              Speaking of which, didn't have the heart to tell Amanda it was angst, did'cha?

Comment

*whistles innocently*

I haven't written one of those in a long, long time...

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                                *slaps Amanda* And you're not going to write it either...

*glares*

Okay...who brainwashed me in here? I'm listening to corny Christmas music at 2:24 am.... and I have Death Knell ready in my DVD player to watch but am delaying it because of the music
                                indeed not...*glares at amanda*....

Originally posted by cess525 View Post
                                indeed not....

Comment

Working...
                                X